Club De Hockey Canadien

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

howdy y'all , ìt's been while.So far kaberle has been a very nice addition with 5 points in 4 games.I was at the Bell Centre twice in the last 2 weeks. I saw the game where we lost to columbus in a shootout. It was the least energetic crowd I had been a part of, boring game. Then i was there for the Philly game where we lost 4-3. We blew balls in the 3rd but the 1st and and 2nd period were fantastic. Getting to see Louis Leblanc first goal was crazy. I souldn't hear myself yelling it was so loud in there. Louis looked like he was soiling his pants when he was getting the ovation. I don't blame him, I bet he couldn't hear himself think. It was such a shame the way Martin used Leblanc that game, 4 minutes of ice time. He pretty much got benched after his goal. Martin cut his bench to about 2 lines for the 3rd period but with a line composed of pleks and cammy, not much offense gets generated these days...At the Columbus game it was Leblanc first home game and we all expect to see him start the game on the ice and get to be announced to the home crowd, but no, Martin chose not to. That ticks me off. Visiting teams give thos priveleges to their Quebecois players when they play here, why can't we do it. I think Gionta was on the ice, he could have given him his spot too I guess. Shame, such a missed opportunity to do something special. Does anybody have an invite to the nhltorrent site, I'm looking for a fullgame to download.

This is probably mostly to coesillian as i think you probably represent the Hab fans in Montreal pretty good.Is it an issue with you that the Habs hire a non French coach? Or is it more tradition that the franchise needs to follow this "rule"?I respect tradition and im all for keeping the French connection , but who will get hurt with a non French speaking coach? The fans, the media?

This is probably mostly to coesillian as i think you probably represent the Hab fans in Montreal pretty good.Is it an issue with you that the Habs hire a non French coach? Or is it more tradition that the franchise needs to follow this "rule"?I respect tradition and im all for keeping the French connection , but who will get hurt with a non French speaking coach? The fans, the media?
http://www.yourcanadiens.info/2011/12/lang...oach-speak.html

I thnink the coach in Montreal has to be bilingual.I thought for a second when he got fired that maybe it could work to have an anglophone coach in Mtl given the poor run of french coaches we've had lately. But in reality it just isn't right for the coach to be anglophone. It's like having MPs in quebec that don't speak french, or a judge on the supreme court who desn't speak french. (both have happened btw and has casued outrage). The coach is the PR outlet to the team, and to pbut a anglophone coach in place definitely a bit insulting to the majority of the fan base.We have to support each other being a small culture in a huge anglo sink. We have enough talent to choose from so thers no reason not to put a french speaking coach there.

It's like having MPs in quebec that don't speak french, or a judge on the supreme court who desn't speak french. (both have happened btw and has casued outrage). The coach is the PR outlet to the team, and to pbut a anglophone coach in place definitely a bit insulting to the majority of the fan base.
I don't want to get into Canadian language politics too much but the bolded is just totally wrong.Supreme Court Justices should be the best in the country and only choosing from the 17 % who are bilingual is eliminating far too many of the best candidates. Being able to speak French does not make a judge better at understanding and interpreting the law. You say it's an insult if the Canadien's Coach doesn't speak French well it's a massive insult to the rest of Canada to expect that the best jurist in Canada can't be on the Supreme Court because they are like 80% of Canada and don't speak French.Like you say an important part of the Coach's job in Montreal is interacting with the fans and media in Montreal which means being able to speak both English and French.As for an MP if the people who live in a riding decide that a uniligual person is the one they want representing them and elect that person that is up to the people. It's pretty silly for anybody in Quebec to not speak French if they want to be in politics but like you said it does happen.
Perhaps those that insist on a bilingual coach should pay more for their tickets.
It would be interesting to do a poll on fans to see what they want..I would think though Habs fans like yourself Dale who arent French speaking might be in the minority..Its a weird situation that I cant see happening with any other professional sports team.
Best way I've heard it being put: The Canadiens coach should only speak one language; winning.
This, but I do think anyone living or working in Quebec, even in Montreal, should be able to speak AT VERY LEAST a passable French. I lived in Montreal for 25 years, grew up in French Immersion schools, got my BA minor in French (Major Spanish) and I still had a hard time breaking into the legitimate workforce and ended up moving to Toronto to have better opportunities. You really had to KNOW someone to get a job that would take you somewhere and/or have mad skills at what you wanted to do.I also think it's more respectful.
This, but I do think anyone living or working in Quebec, even in Montreal, should be able to speak AT VERY LEAST a passable French. I lived in Montreal for 25 years, grew up in French Immersion schools, got my BA minor in French (Major Spanish) and I still had a hard time breaking into the legitimate workforce and ended up moving to Toronto to have better opportunities. You really had to KNOW someone to get a job that would take you somewhere and/or have mad skills at what you wanted to do.I also think it's more respectful.
I don't see why any of that means anything. If every Maple Leaf player spoke Swahili, and most spoke no English, most of the media spoke and wrote Swahili, and Swahili-English interpreters were made available by the team, I wouldn't expect the Leafs to turn down a better-qualified candidate who only spoke Swahili, and no English.
I don't see why any of that means anything. If every Maple Leaf player spoke Swahili, and most spoke no English, most of the media spoke and wrote Swahili, and Swahili-English interpreters were made available by the team, I wouldn't expect the Leafs to turn down a better-qualified candidate who only spoke Swahili, and no English.
With all due respect, if you haven't lived in Montreal (I was there from 1969-1994), then you don't really know how difficult the language issues can be. I don't completely disagree with your example in principal, but the coach is expected to deal with the media and it's expected that said coach would be able to express themselves adequately in the major language of the region. There is no two ways around it. look at the EPL. You have coaches from Spain, Italy and Scotland and they are all able (and expected) to express themselves in reasonable English.
With all due respect, if you haven't lived in Montreal (I was there from 1969-1994), then you don't really know how difficult the language issues can be. I don't completely disagree with your example in principal, but the coach is expected to deal with the media and it's expected that said coach would be able to express themselves adequately in the major language of the region. There is no two ways around it. look at the EPL. You have coaches from Spain, Italy and Scotland and they are all able (and expected) to express themselves in reasonable English.
That isn't the point though - by your logic, those coaches should be able to express themselves in the language of their team's region, not in English. Which they probably can...There are a lot of good coaches out there. I don't see why the Canadiens feel the need to limit themselves to someone that represents their region. No wonder Ted Nolan can't find a job...

The Montreal Canadiens play/work just as much outside of Quebec. How many Montreal fans would not be able to understand Randy Cunneyworth if he was speaking in English? Let's not pretend this has anything to do with communication!!!!!!A team takes precedent in any team sport. These people mixing politics and sports are selfish ****s and are detrimental to the hockey team.

I find it funny that most of the people offended at the thought the Habs might want to hire a coach who speaks French are actually Leafs fans, or non-Habs fans. If your so convinced the team is making a big mistake "hockey" wise, then let it be, and win the games.Frankly, I think what Merc said is really overlooked in all this. "I also think its more respectful".If Cunneyworth makes an attempt to learn French, and speak it to the best of his abilities with some hard work, then it shouldnt be a problem. Its a language, not a degree in astro physics. If your not smart enough to learn a language like French, you dont deserve such a prestigious job in my opinion.

Frankly, I think what Merc said is really overlooked in all this. "I also think its more respectful".If Cunneyworth makes an attempt to learn French, and speak it to the best of his abilities with some hard work, then it shouldnt be a problem. Its a language, not a degree in astro physics. If your not smart enough to learn a language like French, you dont deserve such a prestigious job in my opinion.
Ala Marc Crawford when he was with the Nordiques.

Si je m'exprime en francias dans le context de cette site, la grande pourcentage de nos lecteurs commeceront a s'effronter parce-ce qu'ils n'a aucune idee quoi je vien disais. En effet, c'est pour cette raison que je m'exprime en anglais. L'autre factuer majeur est que mon francais ecrite manque de certaines qualites grammaticales. J'etait trop parreseuse pour corriger tous les accents et les conjugaisons.Se puede decir la misma en espanol, pero tengo un poquito trabajo a hacer...Hasta luego.Also, yes, this language thing is very politically motivated, but we're talking about a culture that is trying desperately to maintain some semblance of "distinctness". And I think everyone will agree that Montreal would be nothing without the incredible French contributions over the past (almost) 500 years. It's a special place and I love it, contradictions, prejudices and all...

Si je m'exprime en francias dans le context de cette site, la grande pourcentage de nos lecteurs commeceront a s'effronter parce-ce qu'ils n'a aucune idee quoi je vien disais. En effet, c'est pour cette raison que je m'exprime en anglais. L'autre factuer majeur est que mon francais ecrite manque de certaines qualites grammaticales. J'etait trop parreseuse pour corriger tous les accents et les conjugaisons.Se puede decir la misma en espanol, pero tengo un poquito trabajo a hacer...Hasta luego.Also, yes, this language thing is very politically motivated, but we're talking about a culture that is trying desperately to maintain some semblance of "distinctness". And I think everyone will agree that Montreal would be nothing without the incredible French contributions over the past (almost) 500 years. It's a special place and I love it, contradictions, prejudices and all...
WOW! I didn't realize the power of Randy Cunneyworth. I didn't realize the fact he does not yet speak English could eliminate or threaten (almost) 500 years of French contributions.
I find it funny that most of the people offended at the thought the Habs might want to hire a coach who speaks French are actually Leafs fans, or non-Habs fans. If your so convinced the team is making a big mistake "hockey" wise, then let it be, and win the games.Frankly, I think what Merc said is really overlooked in all this. "I also think its more respectful".If Cunneyworth makes an attempt to learn French, and speak it to the best of his abilities with some hard work, then it shouldnt be a problem. Its a language, not a degree in astro physics. If your not smart enough to learn a language like French, you dont deserve such a prestigious job in my opinion.
Heh, well as a Leafs fan, I'm not rooting for the Habs to be bad. My daddy always taught me to cheer for your own team, but never boo the other team.I do think it is respectful for a coach to try to learn the local language. If the Canadiens hire Cunneyworth or whoever, then it would be respectful of him to try. That doesn't mean their coach MUST know French, nor does it mean he is disrespectful if he doesn't. More importantly, how did someone named Marc (Crawford) not already speak french!?
WOW! I didn't realize the power of Randy Cunneyworth. I didn't realize the fact he does not yet speak English could eliminate or threaten (almost) 500 years of French contributions.
What an idiotic thing to say.
quoting, just to prove I spread it around to both Leafs fans, and Habs fans.
My reasoning for calling your post idiotic? Is that what your really asking me?If you dont know what Im saying already, your too stubborn to listen to my reasons why.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking you. And no I'm not too stubborn. That's a cop-out on your part and would be akin to me claiming you're not providing a reason because you don't have one.