Club De Hockey Canadien

There is a big difference between finishing a check, and finishing a check by driving a guy's head into the Stanchion at full speed, whether or not it was premeditated.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

You're an interesting guy, Serge.
Why because I have views that you dont agree with..The Montreal Canadiens are hypocrites...Their own players have been complaining how dangerous the boards and glass are at the Molson Centre. Whatever who gives a shit.
Why because I have views that you dont agree with..The Montreal Canadiens are hypocrites...Their own players have been complaining how dangerous the boards and glass are at the Molson Centre. Whatever who gives a shit.
It always comes down to a Montreal Canadiens thing with you doesn't it?I would love to see the comments directed at me if it were a Leafs player instead of a Habs player and I made comments like this.
It always comes down to a Montreal Canadiens thing with you doesn't it?I would love to see the comments directed at me if it were a Leafs player instead of a Habs player and I made comments like this.
And with you as well..FWIW...My comments arent unique, a lot of people are commenting like this including a hockey legend.
And with you as well..FWIW...My comments arent unique, a lot of people are commenting like this including a hockey legend.
I hope you aren't calling Cherry a hockey legend.Edit: and yes I agree with you that teams have to take some reponsibility for how unsafe the bench areas are.
I hope you aren't calling Cherry a hockey legend.Edit: and yes I agree with you that teams have to take some reponsibility for how unsafe the bench areas are.
But do you also agree that it excuses Chara's hit?
But do you also agree that it excuses Chara's hit?
I don't think anybody has excused the hit because the bench area is dangerous. I don't read Serge's comment that way.Edit: In fact my argument would be the fact the bench area is so dangerous makes Chara's hit worse.
I don't think anybody has excused the hit because the bench area is dangerous. I don't read Serge's comment that way.
He's arguing that it's a hockey play.Followed by a comment that Pacioretty should sue the Molsons and the Canadiens.Then a post calling the Canadiens hypocrites.Sorry, but I DO see excuses being made.
I don't think anybody has excused the hit because the bench area is dangerous. I don't read Serge's comment that way.Edit: In fact my argument would be the fact the bench area is so dangerous makes Chara's hit worse.
Oh, I completely agree with your edit. This is why I think Chara has to take quite a bit of responsibility because players know how dangerous that area is.
He's arguing that it's a hockey play.Followed by a comment that Pacioretty should sue the Molsons and the Canadiens.Then a post calling the Canadiens hypocrites.Sorry, but I DO see excuses being made.
nope, those aren't excuses for anything Chara did.And in fact if Pacioretty was to sue he would sue Chara, The NHL, The Montreal Canadians and The Molson Center for negligence. If having that level of safety around the benches was found to be negligent then not only Chara but the others would also be held reponsible for the damages.

I think part of the problem is people view terms like "Hockey Play" and "Finishing Your Check" in different ways.To me players taking penalties and interfering and tripping other players are hockey plays that happen all the time and are part of the game while being against the rules. Taking your stick and hitting somebody over the head is also against the rules but isn't a hockey play.I think I've said this before but I don't care what Chara's motivation or intent was since it's impossible in this case to know what it was. I just want to look at the action and results of that action.1. Chara rather than let Pacioretty get by him interferes with him and hits him.2. That hit happens near the bench in a dangerous spot on the ice that a player should be aware of.3. That hit leads to a serious injury.To me all that should have ended up with a modest suspension since players have to be held responsible for their decisions even if you don't think Chara meant it or buy the argument that he didn't know it was Pacioretty.That doesn't absolve the NHL though from allowing the dangerous situation around the bench areas if there are ways to make them safer.Edit: I seem to be doing a lot of edits.I don't think it's unreasonable to call what Chara did a "hockey play" and still think he deserved to be suspended.

Again you dont really understand what i am saying..But Ill try one last time..You earlier implied that this was like a Bertuzzi play...I argued that its a hockey play meaning it was part of the game...The hit resulted as part of the fast paced action when Chara is beaten(barely) to the puck by Pacioretty. He then finishes the hit, YES it was late and YES it was interference....Unlike NON hockey plays, where players go out of their way to attack and sucker punch other like Gillies, or Cooke and yes Bertuzzi. Yes Chara was careless , however he didnt maliciously go out to injure Pacioretty. If there is no puck pursuit and Chara is 100 feet away from the puck and plasters Pacioretty then you can argue malicious intent..The game is fast , these hits happen. He got a 5 minute major, which was sufficient..The fact that I mention Pacioretty should sue the Molsons is irrevelant to Chara's involvement. He got injured because the Habs dont provide adequate support on the turnbuckle...They also have the leagues worst glass and their own players have been complaining all year to get this fixed to no avail..Check Camalleri's comments earlier on in the year..Molson coming out and criticizing the league is similar to Lemieux criticizing headshots.
Molson coming out and criticizing the league is similar to Lemieux criticizing headshots.
Saw this just now on twitter:morrisonHNIC Scott Morrison Some GMs not happy Lemieux and Molson went public with pleas to the league
Yes exactly..The play started by Chara and Pacioretty going for the puck, Chara makes a play for the puck, barely misses and then checks Pacioretty into the boards...Sure its interference, but its not a violent premediated hit.
I kinda get what Serge is saying here. Yes, Chara was an illegal hit, but it doesnt feel the same as the Bertuzzi punch.Does anyone else feel like this hit has been played to death? And we here keep arguing over the semantics of it. We all agree it was an illegal play, and the NHL should try to get rid of it.
I kinda get what Serge is saying here. Yes, Chara was an illegal hit, but it doesnt feel the same as the Bertuzzi punch.Does anyone else feel like this hit has been played to death? And we here keep arguing over the semantics of it. We all agree it was an illegal play, and the NHL should try to get rid of it.
Did we forget about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor ?
Did we forget about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor ?
I didnt get the reference, but a quick google search enabled me to understand the genius that is Bob.
Shooting the puck is an accepted play in hockey.What do you mean Pacioretty and Chara were both going for the puck? This is NOT true. Pacioretty had knocked the puck ahead and Chara had no interest in the puck.
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie GMs, BTW, overwhelmingly viewed Chara-Pacioretty as "hockey play" I'm told vote was 24-6 on it as a play that didn't require discipline
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie GMs, BTW, overwhelmingly viewed Chara-Pacioretty as "hockey play" I'm told vote was 24-6 on it as a play that didn't require discipline
The old boys club...
Again you dont really understand what i am saying..But Ill try one last time..You earlier implied that this was like a Bertuzzi play...I argued that its a hockey play meaning it was part of the game...The hit resulted as part of the fast paced action when Chara is beaten(barely) to the puck by Pacioretty. He then finishes the hit, YES it was late and YES it was interference....Unlike NON hockey plays, where players go out of their way to attack and sucker punch other like Gillies, or Cooke and yes Bertuzzi. Yes Chara was careless , however he didnt maliciously go out to injure Pacioretty. If there is no puck pursuit and Chara is 100 feet away from the puck and plasters Pacioretty then you can argue malicious intent..The game is fast , these hits happen. He got a 5 minute major, which was sufficient..The fact that I mention Pacioretty should sue the Molsons is irrevelant to Chara's involvement. He got injured because the Habs dont provide adequate support on the turnbuckle...They also have the leagues worst glass and their own players have been complaining all year to get this fixed to no avail..Check Camalleri's comments earlier on in the year..Molson coming out and criticizing the league is similar to Lemieux criticizing headshots.
serge, I think we've talked the hit itself to death, and I've sort of given up on it...BUT..... as far as Molson and Lemieux complaining? lets put it this way: a dozen kids have been run down this year by cars speeding in school zones. I'm pretty sure that you didn't attend any protests at city hall to have speeds reduced in school zones. But if a kid got run down on YOUR street in a school zone, what chances are there that you would join the public outcry then? Sometimes it has to hit close to home to register...I cant resist one last thing: so cherry showed a compilation of a bunch of hits into and around the bench, and now people are saying 'see? that always happened so it's okay' If Cherry showed a compilation of stick fights from the 50's, 60's and 70's, would that make it okay to bring back swinging your stick at someone's head? The point is, it's a dangerous area, and players should be held MORE accountable for making an illegal play in a dangerous area..
serge, I think we've talked the hit itself to death, and I've sort of given up on it...BUT..... as far as Molson and Lemieux complaining? lets put it this way: a dozen kids have been run down this year by cars speeding in school zones. I'm pretty sure that you didn't attend any protests at city hall to have speeds reduced in school zones. But if a kid got run down on YOUR street in a school zone, what chances are there that you would join the public outcry then? Sometimes it has to hit close to home to register...I cant resist one last thing: so cherry showed a compilation of a bunch of hits into and around the bench, and now people are saying 'see? that always happened so it's okay' If Cherry showed a compilation of stick fights from the 50's, 60's and 70's, would that make it okay to bring back swinging your stick at someone's head? The point is, it's a dangerous area, and players should be held MORE accountable for making an illegal play in a dangerous area..
I dont get the analogy...Lemieux was criticized because in your analogy he was employing a speeding driver that ran over a kid...Molson to a lesser extent but as been reported the other governors are not happy with the attacks to the NHL.Of course its fashionable to attack Cherry, but his main attack was the ridicolusness of the design of the boards and glass partitions...He showed how easy it would be to fix it or employ the heavy foam that Philly has....Yesterday the Leafs responded by thickening the padding at the ACC...If tonight the Habs havent done something to the padding it would be a disgrace..
I did not imply this incident was like the Moore/Bertuzzi incident. I said...
If Steve Moore doesn't break his neck then the Bertuzzi incident would have been long forgotten.
...as a counter-argument to the ridiculous claim that Chara's hit was ok because if it Pacioretty wasn't hurt on the play then nobody would be talking about it.

Ooooh...gonna be a tough one tonight.Moen-Gomez-GiontaKostitsyn-Eller-CammalleriWhite-Desharnais-PouliotDawes-Pyatt-PalushajHamrlik-WisniewskiMara-SubbanPicard-Weber

Current injuries:Andrei MarkovJosh GorgesJaroslav SpacekHal GillBrent SopelMathieu DarcheMax PaciorettyJeff HalpernTomas Plekanec