Club De Hockey Canadien

Sadly, it isn't the game of choice for most Californians or New Yorkers. I just think it's ridiculous to make such a spectacle for someone who just happens to work in Quebec to be made a target for not being fluent enough in a THIRD language to satisfy an audience who can already understand him.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

I think, if it seriously becomes a big deal, Saku should demand a trade.I'd like to see what the media will do when Montreal loses arguably their best player because of their ridiculous quibble.I mean, that's far from a possibility at this point, but it'd be interesting for someone to make a stand against this ludicrous idea.

it would be another case of the media affecting the destiny of the team...hmmm..oh wait that has been discussed in great length.

The media is not the cause of this - they're just reporting it. From what I understand, it's spearheaded by some seperatist lawyer who is using anyone he can to help make a point.

The media is not the cause of this - they're just reporting it. From what I understand, it's spearheaded by some seperatist lawyer who is using anyone he can to help make a point.
my bad...i didnt realize that...
The lawyer in Question is part a of a counsil assembled to debate reasonable accomodations in Quebec. Introducing the teams players to the Bell Centre only in English is another accomodation the French population was forced to live with.
The lawyer in Question is part a of a counsil assembled to debate reasonable accomodations in Quebec. Introducing the teams players to the Bell Centre only in English is another accomodation the French population was forced to live with.
lol yeah, that one probably ruins most of their lives.Seriously though, every time I watch a Habs game, the PA announcer is in both languages.
lol yeah, that one probably ruins most of their lives.Seriously though, every time I watch a Habs game, the PA announcer is in both languages.
Ya the house announcer does a very good job. Opening night Saku had a video where he introduced "his" team and presented the players all in english without french translation.

crosby speaks a broken french when he comes to Montreal. He respects the fans he has here and appreciates what they did for him. he gets mad respect for that.

We don't force people to speak french here, but Saku is a special exception. He's the captain of the Habs. It's a reasonable request to expect the captain to adress the very numerous french Fans in french. He refuse to speak to them in french, are we being discriminatory? We aren't targeting a specific race or ethnicity. I don't think its morrally wrong to make this request to the Captain of the Habs. Imagine the captain of Calgary refusing to answer journalists in English, only answers them in french, even after being in Calgary for 12 years and contributing to the community. People would be all over him.
I dont think this is such a ridiculous request. While I don't think Saku should be scolded for it, I think it should be a goal of any Habs' captain, and maybe even player, to try and learn some French, and communicate with the media and in turn, their clientele. The player, and captain especially, works for the fans and the paying clientele. He needs to be able to communicate with them, similar to the way the secretary I hire in my business needs to learn English to speak with my customers. I am an immigrant myself, and while I came here at a very young age, I wish there was a greater effort made to learn the official languages of the country people immigrate to, especially in North America. You don't have to assimillate, but at least have respect for the place and people who gave you and your family a better life.What bothers me in Quebec is the amount of discrimination and resentment many francophones have for visitors who do not speak French. Its not only offensive, but incredibly short-sighted when you consider much of this goes on in "tourist" locations. That's all. Other than that, I respect the fight to keep their language and their culture strong and vibrant. Especially those communities outside of Quebec.
I dont think this is such a ridiculous request. While I don't think Saku should be scolded for it, I think it should be a goal of any Habs' captain, and maybe even player, to try and learn some French, and communicate with the media and in turn, their clientele. The player, and captain especially, works for the fans and the paying clientele. He needs to be able to communicate with them, similar to the way the secretary I hire in my business needs to learn English to speak with my customers. I am an immigrant myself, and while I came here at a very young age, I wish there was a greater effort made to learn the official languages of the country people immigrate to, especially in North America. You don't have to assimillate, but at least have respect for the place and people who gave you and your family a better life.What bothers me in Quebec is the amount of discrimination and resentment many francophones have for visitors who do not speak French. Its not only offensive, but incredibly short-sighted when you consider much of this goes on in "tourist" locations. That's all. Other than that, I respect the fight to keep their language and their culture strong and vibrant. Especially those communities outside of Quebec.
very well said. I fully agree with this post.
I am an immigrant myself, and while I came here at a very young age, I wish there was a greater effort made to learn the official languages of the country people immigrate to, especially in North America. You don't have to assimillate, but at least have respect for the place and people who gave you and your family a better life.
Last time I checked Canada has two official languages with significant English speaking populations in Montreal and in the Pontiac (despite the best efforts of the Quebec government to rename cities, streets, and landmarks and pretend the province has always been uniform in it's "frenchness").
I am an immigrant myself, and while I came here at a very young age, I wish there was a greater effort made to learn the official languages of the country people immigrate to, especially in North America. You don't have to assimillate, but at least have respect for the place and people who gave you and your family a better life.
Last time I checked Canada has two official languages with significant English speaking populations in Montreal and in the Pontiac (despite the best efforts of the Quebec government to rename cities, streets, and landmarks and pretend the province has always been uniform in it's "frenchness").
Are you arguing with something I said? I dont think I said anything contrary to your point...did I?

OK ok I'll add my two cents. I hate this language debate and it is a large part of the reason I am no longer living in Quebec. I was born in Montreal and lived there as an anglophone in my early years then moved to Ontario in the Cornwall area. For those of you who do not know, and it seems reading this debate there are some, the francophone also live outside of Quebec, a significant number in Ontario and Manitoba as well. Anyway the community I grew up in was 50/50 French English including my high school where we could take classes in either language. I am also a Habs fan and watch the games on RDS, French TSN as it is available throughout Canada! :club: That being said I am shocked to find out that Saku Koivu has not attempted to learn the French language. The worst part of this is the flippant way he attempted to blow it off. If he is challenged with learning a language and has tried he should say so. I really do not know how he could live in the community for all these years and not picked up a decent amount of French. I'm sure as a Habs players most Montrealers have been very nice to him and served him in English but this is no excuse. Even a weak attempt to learn and speak the language is appreciated by the people of Montreal, they don't rip people for attempting to speak the language with a terrible accent, I can tell you that from experience. I hope he will start to make an attempt, even Bob Gainey learn to speak the language. I'm sure the team would have great resources to support any player who wanted to learn the language.

That being said I am shocked to find out that Saku Koivu has not attempted to learn the French language. The worst part of this is the flippant way he attempted to blow it off. If he is challenged with learning a language and has tried he should say so. I really do not know how he could live in the community for all these years and not picked up a decent amount of French.
Actually, it's said he has learned french, just not comfortable to speak it in front of the media. Which is understandable; as francophones can be asses to people who can't speak French perfectly (to the point of replying in broken English).
OK ok I'll add my two cents. I hate this language debate and it is a large part of the reason I am no longer living in Quebec. I was born in Montreal and lived there as an anglophone in my early years then moved to Ontario in the Cornwall area. For those of you who do not know, and it seems reading this debate there are some, the francophone also live outside of Quebec, a significant number in Ontario and Manitoba as well. Anyway the community I grew up in was 50/50 French English including my high school where we could take classes in either language. I am also a Habs fan and watch the games on RDS, French TSN as it is available throughout Canada! :club: That being said I am shocked to find out that Saku Koivu has not attempted to learn the French language. The worst part of this is the flippant way he attempted to blow it off. If he is challenged with learning a language and has tried he should say so. I really do not know how he could live in the community for all these years and not picked up a decent amount of French. I'm sure as a Habs players most Montrealers have been very nice to him and served him in English but this is no excuse. Even a weak attempt to learn and speak the language is appreciated by the people of Montreal, they don't rip people for attempting to speak the language with a terrible accent, I can tell you that from experience. I hope he will start to make an attempt, even Bob Gainey learn to speak the language. I'm sure the team would have great resources to support any player who wanted to learn the language.
You make some valid points, and it seem like you speak from experience....However Saku Koivu is not a politician, he is a hockey player playing in the NHL.....He doesnt need to speak French since he is in Canada and English is one of the OFFICIAL languages...This can cause long term problems for the Montreal Canadiens as if I am an American,Russian , Swede free agent I may think twice before going to Montreal if I am FORCED to learn another language....Its not the same thing if Koivu ,Sundin or whoever came to canada and couldnt speak english...They speak an official language of the country...That should be sufficient....The french public,media and whoever has no right to be upset with Koivu in this matter....
Actually, it's said he has learned french, just not comfortable to speak it in front of the media. Which is understandable; as francophones can be asses to people who can't speak French perfectly (to the point of replying in broken English).
Which by the way brings up another point...The people in Quebec dont speak French..They speak Quebecois which is a different dialect...If you speak PROPER french to them even, they arent happy...
You make some valid points, and it seem like you speak from experience....However Saku Koivu is not a politician, he is a hockey player playing in the NHL.....He doesnt need to speak French since he is in Canada and English is one of the OFFICIAL languages...This can cause long term problems for the Montreal Canadiens as if I am an American,Russian , Swede free agent I may think twice before going to Montreal if I am FORCED to learn another language....Its not the same thing if Koivu ,Sundin or whoever came to canada and couldnt speak english...They speak an official language of the country...That should be sufficient....The french public,media and whoever has no right to be upset with Koivu in this matter....
I'm a little confused. So that means when a Francophone is in Calgary they should be able to live and go about thier business in French and not need to speak English? I'm afraid you don't really have a handle on what having two official languages in a country means.