Car Help

Hey all. I'm hoping I can get some help from this side of the forum...I have a 98 Honda Civic EX and have been constantly hearing 'knocking-type' sounds on the front passenger side of the car when I make left turns. It even occurs when going over bumps. The sound can also be similar to when you crack your knuckles. Sorry, but I'm no car guy. Any suggestions on what it can be? New springs, struts, shocks, etc? Thanks in advance.

It could be any number of things in the suspension, or perhaps the rear sway bar. You need to either check it out yourself, or take it to a mechanic. There are two many possible parts that could cause a knocking, espcially going over bumps and turns.

Just a thought...I'll throw it out there.Evil_Monkey_301.gif
How am I not surprised that I will see a response from you??

with what you described it sounds like your drive train. if it is i reccomend both sides getting fixed otherwise in two weeks you will be fixing it too. I would definetly get it checked out cause if it goes completely it will cost you alot more.

How am I not surprised that I will see a response from you??
::shrug helplessly:: Wishful thinking? Secret crush?

I have the same car actually.And while I haven't been noticing knocking, I do hear a bit of a gentle scraping? I dunno the right word for it. It's like something rubbing against something near the tire.... mainly when i turn, but sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don't. Nothing hard though, it sounds kinda muted. So nothing too sharp ya know.

I have the same car actually.And while I haven't been noticing knocking, I do hear a bit of a gentle scraping? I dunno the right word for it. It's like something rubbing against something near the tire.... mainly when i turn, but sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don't. Nothing hard though, it sounds kinda muted. So nothing too sharp ya know.
Yours sound like its your brakes. When was the last time you checked em or had em done?
Hey all. I'm hoping I can get some help from this side of the forum...I have a 98 Honda Civic EX and have been constantly hearing 'knocking-type' sounds on the front passenger side of the car when I make left turns. It even occurs when going over bumps. The sound can also be similar to when you crack your knuckles. Sorry, but I'm no car guy. Any suggestions on what it can be? New springs, struts, shocks, etc? Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you aren't storing some spare needles there? You know, in case you fall off the wagon. You might be away from home, and you thought that if you left them in the tire well, you would at least know that you were using clean needles.
ok, posted the same question in a honda chat forum and was told that is cv joints.
I HIGHLY doubt that... if your CV's were rubbing the noise would be a lot more constant. But thats just my .02. When CV's dry up or start to wear the noise you end up with is a constant squealing anytime the suspension moves. It doesn't come and go either, it just stays there. I'm telling you, without getting it checked out we can sit here all day and speculate.
I HIGHLY doubt that... if your CV's were rubbing the noise would be a lot more constant. But thats just my .02. When CV's dry up or start to wear the noise you end up with is a constant squealing anytime the suspension moves. It doesn't come and go either, it just stays there. I'm telling you, without getting it checked out we can sit here all day and speculate.
Actually I would also bet on the CV joint being bad but it could be as simple as a bad suspension bushing.
Yours sound like its your brakes. When was the last time you checked em or had em done?
Been awhile. Though they seem to work fine. I'll check into that though.
It sounds like the cv joints or maybe the rubber sleeve that covers them.
Are you sure you aren't storing some spare needles there? You know, in case you fall off the wagon. You might be away from home, and you thought that if you left them in the tire well, you would at least know that you were using clean needles.
Hahahahahaha! Was that intentional or unintentional?
Hahahahahaha! Was that intentional or unintentional?
Completely unintentional, and I was looking for some e-val on it, but obviously since it's a completely different poster with IQCrash's old avatar, no one is going to complement me on anything. I was looking for the topic this morning, and didn't see Dan's name anywhere, and came into this thread, and feel like a moron, although I was pretty proud of that comment for a while.
Goddamn it