Calling An All-in Short Stacked

Situation: Home Game $30 Buy-In, 11 players, 6 left. Blinds are at $200/$400. I'm in the Big Blind and have about $2850 left after my big blind is in the pot. I have 7 8 suited.Play: Early position short stack player moves all in for about $1850 on top of my big blind. Everyone folds to me.Question: Do I call with my 7 8 suited? The pot is now $2850 and I have to call $1850, leaving me with $1000 if I lose. Or do I fold leaving me with $2850?

But if I don't call, then I'm only left about 7 big blinds. I figure him for moving with any Ace or pocket pair. My 2 suited connected cards are probably live and I think are actually a favorite against a small pocket pair. I have to make a move sooner or later since I'm short stacked as well.

The popular concensus among tourney players, is that it's better to shove a worse hand, than it is to call off with something like 78d. Like I said, wait for an opportunity where you have first in vig, and steal the blinds, OR get it in with two live cards.

OK. Thanks.Turns out he had A 10 off suit, which I think put me at 41% to win. So I think the "price" ended up being right, but I agree, probably would be better off playing 7 8 suited with the first mover advantage. My 7 8 did not catch up.
here is some advice for the strat forums, wait more than a hour to post results. Give time for others to post and for a good discussion to develop.

The reason that you don't call here is that your 8 high is virtually never the best hand. Yes, you might be getting a decent price and yes, the villain probably is desperate, but it doesn't matter. If you call and don't suck out, you're totally crippled and don't even have any fold equity to win a pot. If you fold your 8 high, all you lose is 400 chips which you can easily recoup by shoving your stack in and stealing the blinds.If you had a hand like KQ or 66 or somethign that might actually be the best hand, then calling is probably alright, although being first into the pot is always best.

What if the blinds were higher? Lets say 300/600. So I have 2850 left after my 600 BB and the short stack put in the additional 1850. Now a fold leaves me with less than 5 BBs. And the pot is 3350 and I have to call 1850 or, 1.8 to 1.Is the rule to never under any circumstance call an all in with a hand like 7 8 suited? Or do you go with a magic number like 2-1 pot odds as suggesed by Zach?

What if the blinds were higher? Lets say 300/600. So I have 2850 left after my 600 BB and the short stack put in the additional 1850. Now a fold leaves me with less than 5 BBs. And the pot is 3350 and I have to call 1850 or, 1.8 to 1.Is the rule to never under any circumstance call an all in with a hand like 7 8 suited? Or do you go with a magic number like 2-1 pot odds as suggesed by Zach?
It depend a lot on your table. If its very active and youre unlikely to get first in vigorish except from UTG, UTG+1, then you have to loosen up your calling ranges/odds against other small stacks. 2:1 is a good rule of thumb against a small stack pusher with a hand like 78, because youre only a 2:1 dog even if hes only playing the top 25% hands...and most short stacks are pushing more often than that with first in vig.With higher blinds so my stack is only 5 BBs (an M of 3 or so) Im calling with the 78. Id rather take a chance of doubling up against a small stack pusher with a wide range than sit there and wait for first in vig where its nearly an auto call for any decent stack.

I would actually call this with 7/8s. But thats just me. If you fold this, your not really going to pick up any blinds with an M of 7 or less. Some one is going to reraise you and put you all in or if you go all in to pick up the blinds your going to get called by the big stack to eliminate you. I would call the allin if villian has something like a small poket pair other than a seven or eight its pretty much a coinflip with your two overs. If he has AA or KK or any big pair you have a nice drawing hand to crack there big pair. Just saying if it was me I would call. People will disagree, but there not me so.......