greatest poker accomplishment ever?

you guys agree its ultra tough to win a wsop bracelet,obviouslyseriously, to win 3 in one wsop is out of control to meI'm seriously considering rating this higher than harrington......nah, but its definetly a close second

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrington's back to back final tables without question.
I think Harringtons record is one of the best as far as tournaments go. In 1995 not only did he win the $10,000 main event, but a few days later he won a smaller buy-in NLHE event. Winning two large tournaments, back to back and then his performance in '03 and '04. Hands-down the greatest accomplishments belong to this man...
Doyle definitely gets my vote for greatest accomplishment ever. This man is a freak of nature and there isn't even a distant 2nd in the poker world. What he contiunes to do at the tables is incredible. I must admit, the first time Doyle referred to me by name, it sent chills down my spine. I have always idolized his lifestyle and his ability to continue making money while the face of poker changed dramatically. If you ever see me sitting at the table with him, you see me staring at him in aww and trying to soak in every and any bit of advise i can squeeze out of him.Good luck boysJA
Interesting, and good observation... Doyle continuing to do what he does as well as he does in his 70's is pretty far out there.

Harrington's back to back final table was in a field of 839 & 2576, respectively. Not 1400. Hell, that was the first day.Think about this...in two years, only 5 people placed higher than him in either event.Chris MonkeymaterSam FarhaGrey RaymerDavid WilliamsJosh AriehAmazing.3408 people finished behind him.

Why in the world would the greatest accomplishment have anything to do with tournaments.The guy who wins the most money in cash games before he dies accomplished the most. Period. It's easy to keep score in poker.

Why in the world would the greatest accomplishment have anything to do with tournaments.The guy who wins the most money in cash games before he dies accomplished the most. Period. It's easy to keep score in poker.
Impossible to verify, you're a fool.

Mr. Arieh (with the utmost respect):i dont think doyle is really an "accomplishment". he may or may not be the best player ever, and he may be the most accomplished, actually he must be. but i think in this context, accomplishment would be like, feat. i think that without a doubt, the greatest play ever made was stu ungar's call with 10 high. to the person who mentioned that, thank you and you are correct. but even that isn't really an accomplishment.i think that chan's 1-1-2 is the best. when you win back to back, and then place second in pretty big fields, it really means something. it means that he was easily the best player in the world back then. with dan, all it means is that he is very very very good and he was extremely lucky twice in a row. you saw him survive with running clubs, pair vs. higher pair, many times, and that isn't really skill. i know overall it is a ridiculous feat to last that long in those fields, but to win twice in a row and then to place second seems completely absurd to me. another great play was josh arieh folding A7 on a K7742 board or something. wtf, pocket 4s.

Impossible to verify, you're a fool.How does that it make it less of an accoplishment, moron?Would learning to levitate not be an accomplishement if no one saw it?Gee, I guess so. I guess accomplishment is just about accolades. Understand what the words mean before you use them in the future and stop wasting everyone's time.

Hi all, this is my first post here after reading u for a whilethe best perfomance in a single tourney in my opinion was Carlos Mortensen final table 2001, there was a hand where he destroyed Mike Matusow going all in after 3 head-up raises and then showed him his Q 8 when Matusow folded loosing half of his stack.Also he was the last pro to win the WSOP when the crowd was already 612 players.

with smash here who cares about WSOP titles you could have 10 for all i care if someone wins 100 million in cash games he played poker for what it is. Gambling why do we gamble $$$$$$$ thats why if you told me you won a tournement whats the first question i ask Wich one??shit no it would be how much did you net.He who dies with the most toys wins.

My vote goes to Chans 1,1,2 finishes despite the smaller field sizes. However, Harrington's record of a 1st in '95 and back to back final tables in the largest tourneys ever assembled is absolutely amazing over a ten year period.

Because tourneys decide champions and the biggest tourney is the wsop main event.So if Arod makes the most money in baseball then that means he has accompished the most or no.Just wondering.I always thought that winning championships is the bigger accomplishment but OI guess money is nice too.Leave it to smash to get in an argument over I simple question.I think smash may needle more people than tony d.

Because tourneys decide champions and the biggest tourney is the wsop main event.Well, I guess Monymaker is more accomplished than Daniel then, right?Do you see how your argument is fallig to shit yet?So if Arod makes the most money in baseball then that means he has accompished the most or no.Just wondering.I always thought that winning championships is the bigger accomplishment but OI guess money is nice too.Leave it to smash to get in an argument over I simple question.I think smash may needle more people than tony d.In baseball they keep score with runs. In poker they keep score by who wins the most MONEY.Long term winnings in cash games is the measure of a poker player. Short term tournament sucess is so hugely luck driven that it's fairly meaningless. Long term tournament sucess would be a better indication, but it's still vastly more luck driven than cash game sucess.

ok, then probably stu ungar. he made the most money, i'm not sure if its more than ivey but he didn't play as much either.

Greatest Accomplishment? Wow thats really can be a difficult question depending on how you look at it. Most people seem to associate this with tounaments, and thats understandable since thats all we see on TV, but I dont really think of it that way.To me the greatest accomplishment is Doyle Brunson playing at such a high level for such a long period of time. And to continue to play that way at his age is just amazing. Its hard to measure this, but his cash and tounrament winnings combined would probably do the trick.

Impossible to verify, you're a fool.How does that it make it less of an accoplishment, moron?Would learning to levitate not be an accomplishement if no one saw it?Gee, I guess so.  I guess accomplishment is just about accolades.  Understand what the words mean before you use them in the future and stop wasting everyone's time.
I was merely typing in jest...

excuse my ignorance. there are two great accomplishments not yet mentioned. i'm a poker history dunce, so someone will have to help me out.one person, i think layne flack, won two huge (i believe both over 400 people) WSOP tourneys, including the 1500 NL tourney in a row. it was a few years ago (2,3, 4?) but i'm pretty sure he won them back to back.and way back between two of the real famous guys, both of whose names now escape me, but they played for 6 months? its the famous story from super system, so if someone wants to post the details of that, its pretty amazing. they'd break every 3 or 4 DAYS, and even then one of the guys would be playing craps on their breaks. crazy stuff there.daniel

The problem with measuring in absolute dollars would be inflation. I guess if you do it in real dollars that woul work. My vote is Stu Ungar's entire crazy up and down life.My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.- Benjamin Franklin

In my opinion just cause doyle is a great card player (who happens to be a senior citizen) means nothing to me.Mr. Smasharoo is right as far as how you'd rank the best poker player. ITS THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY MADE PLAYING POKER. From my point of view, winning wsop braclets and tournaments is the equivilent to who hits the most homeruns in baseball, or who's the slam dunk champion this year. From what I've heard Mr. Ivey makes more than a lil bit of change in cash games, and I'd bet the pot that he'll still be in the same professsion when he's say... 50... 60 years old. It seems that there's so much luck in tournaments that you see so many new faces at every final table, and I guarantee if you took some of these new faces, gave em a seat next to Mr. Ivey at the big game, they WOULD NEVER LOOK AT A DECK OF CARDS AGAIN!

I have to say Chan's 1st 1st 2nd in 3 years. Also, considering he did that well against fields of around 150-200. I ask you guys to do that in even 3 straight 2-table SnGs, let alone against 10x that many people.

The guy who wins the most money in cash games before he dies accomplished the most
smash, thats funny.so if i started with a bankroll of $1 and used perfect bankroll managment and made it up to $5 million (net gain of 5 million minus a buck), id of made a lesser accomplishment than someone who started with $10 milliom and after a few sessions ended on £17 million (net gain of 7 million).yeah smash, great argument you've got yourself into this time, will you ever learn :roll: