stand up comedy anyone?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sykes is really good.
I couldn't disagree more. Her stand-up is full of hackneyed observations that might have been funny 10 years ago. I find her material lame, unimaginative, and stale. Sarah Silverman is a phenomonal talent.Jay Mohr is another great comedian. He does great impressions; his Christopher Walken is spot-on. You can get a lot of his material on his website www.jaymohr.com .
Sykes is really good.
I couldn't disagree more. Her stand-up is full of hackneyed observations that might have been funny 10 years ago. I find her material lame, unimaginative, and stale. Sarah Silverman is a phenomonal talent.Jay Mohr is another great comedian. He does great impressions; his Christopher Walken is spot-on. You can get a lot of his material on his website www.jaymohr.com .
yeah, his walken is on the money...jay is crazy funny..

Sam Kinneson, that guy was the funniest guy on drugs ever. Wow did he ever go crazy on stage.Of the newer comedians, I would say Chris Rock will rank up there in history. I thought he did a really good job at the Oscar's no matter what the critics say. His comedy is a little low-brow for those Hollywood guys

Bill Hicks was one of the funniest SOB's I've ever seen in my life....On being threatened while performing in a southern comedy club-"Hey buddy, we're Christians and we didn't appreciate what you said in there...."Bill Hicks-"Well then.....Forgive me."The Joe Rogan CD was a huge hit on the road trip to Vegas. We took twelve people to see him at Irvine and everyone really enjoyed themselves. His jokes on seeing the donkey show are great. I guess it's just a matter of tastes.Ralphie May had me crying when I saw him live. He was too damn funny.On Martin Luther King Jr. - "He would march 40 miles a day for his cause....God Damn. That's 40 F'N miles. And that's with them old school shoes too. That ain't with them good arse cross trainers. And you know there was one brother who got mad at Martin. 'Hey Martin....What the f...? Look, I think you made your point back at mile 19.' "Lewis Black and his Back In Black on The Daily Show are classic.

Steven Wright would be at the top of my list.Also Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Dennis Miller, Jon Stewart etc...Nobody has mentioned Steve Martin yet--I loved his early stuff. Okay, well maybe that's just for sentimental reasons. I remember that my mom actually let me listen to an 8 track with swear words on it. (please tell me that some of you remember 8 tracks!) I loved listening to "Let's Get Small" over and over and over....Okay, maybe it wasn't that good...but to a ten year old, it was the funniest thing ever!*edited to add Dennis Miller & Jon Stewart...gotta have at least one "new guy" on there*

Richard Pryor
Richard Pryor is standup's Philosopher-King. I remember trying to explain to someone who was too young to be familiar with his act: Chris Rock was Public Enemy, Eddie Murphy was Prince, and Richard Pryor was Marvin Gaye. Old School and Classic.

My favorite new comic: Russel Peters. The only indian comic I've ever seen. He's from Canada... maybe DN knows of him? He's absolutely hilarious, look him up. :club:

Richard Pryor
Richard Pryor is standup's Philosopher-King. I remember trying to explain to someone who was too young to be familiar with his act: Chris Rock was Public Enemy, Eddie Murphy was Prince, and Richard Pryor was Marvin Gaye. Old School and Classic.
GAME BLOUSES
i like dane cook, because he leaves EVERYTHING on the stage. if he got up there and no was laughing i believe strongly he would kill himself for a laugh. audience interaction is funny too, asking people if they boot black tar heroin was pretty funny.chuck
yeah.. during that 30 min comedy central bit, i think the funniest part was when he was pretending to eat christ chex.. just hillarious..
Richard Pryor
GAME BLOUSES
haha computer blue!
  • 1 year later...

I just listened to Dane Cook's Retaliation CD. It's the first time I've ever heard Dane Cook and all I have to say is "Who shit on the coats?"

I just listened to Dane Cook's Retaliation CD. It's the first time I've ever heard Dane Cook and all I have to say is "Who shit on the coats?"
I watched 2-3 episodes of Tourgasm last night on HBO. Good stuff.
I saw it for the first time last night as well... It was "ok".
Yea, I don't think it's GREAT. And it wasn't the first time I saw it, but I can see how I said it like that. Anyway, I was watched #s 6-8 (I think) and there's 10 total. It has its good moments and it's boring moments. I didn't know until they said in one of the later shows that while they were filming it, they had NOOOOO idea it would be on HBO or anything close to that. They were just filming it to maybe make a documentry at some point.
Yea, I don't think it's GREAT. And it wasn't the first time I saw it, but I can see how I said it like that. Anyway, I was watched #s 6-8 (I think) and there's 10 total. It has its good moments and it's boring moments. I didn't know until they said in one of the later shows that while they were filming it, they had NOOOOO idea it would be on HBO or anything close to that. They were just filming it to maybe make a documentry at some point.
Yea, it kind of has that feel to it. I could have been tired, but I just didn't enjoy it that much. I like Dane Cook however, and have gone to see him before.

Old: George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Robin WilliamsNew: David Cross, Mitch Hedberg, Dave ChappelleTotally crap: Any talk show hostSpecial mention: Stephen Colbert, John Stewart