I often read about people's grinding approach to poker. I hear this phrase a lot; "the goal of a grinder is to win one big bet an hour." My question is, are they saying that they want to win at least one big pot an hour or just the amount of the big blind every hour.So if you are grinding at 1-2, do you plan on winning just 2 dollars an hour? That doesn't sound right.How much is a good, but reasonable win rate in relation to the blinds?

I often read about people's grinding approach to poker. I hear this phrase a lot; "the goal of a grinder is to win one big bet an hour." My question is, are they saying that they want to win at least one big pot an hour or just the amount of the big blind every hour.So if you are grinding at 1-2, do you plan on winning just 2 dollars an hour? That doesn't sound right.How much is a good, but reasonable win rate in relation to the blinds?
you've been watching Rounders?I'm just playin with you. Yes, technically the goal of a limit holdem player would be to win about 1 Big bet an hour. It depends on the level you're at, you should probably be winning more than that at the micro limits.However, I get the feeling you are a no-limit player. The "one big bet an hour" saying is concerning limit, not no-limit.I'm actually not sure what the rule of thumb would be for no limit ring players, someone else will probably be able to tell you.

That phrase was popularized by rounders, probably incorrectly.In NLHE a decent player should be able to earn a fair bit more than 1 Big Bet (2x BB) an hour. This will vary depending on if you play mainly HU, full ring or 6 max.But if you multi-table a lot of limit tables, 1 BB / hour is a pretty decent winrate.

yeah it really depends on what level your playing at. Beating limit at >3bb/100 is considered killing it. beating nl a >10bb/100 is considered killing it.Basically lets say you can beat:1/2nl at 7.5bb/1003/6nl at 3bb/1005/10nl at 1bb/100you want to be playing 3/6 cause that is where you are best maximizing your EV.This is all basic poker theory, so grinding is basically such: playing a level you know you can beat within your bankroll, rather than taking shots at bigger limits.