My Confidence Is Shattered

So last weekend, I lost 16 (sixteen) $5 9-man SnG's in a row on Stars. By "lost", I mean no cashes. Maybe I wasn't playing great, but when I would get my chips in with the best hand, I'd lose. AA < KQ, or my QQ would meet KK/AA, or my straight against 2-pair would river them a boat. Granted, I was not always ahead, and I'm sure I did make some mistakes, but overall, I've been a winning player at these stakes. But now, I can't seem to win. I can get 2nd place once in awhile, but 1sts are rare. The lack of 1sts has been going on for the last month or so. I really can't explain it.So, tonight I started out by making huge bluffs early in the tournament, and getting a decent stack. Basically, doing "the wrong thing", just to see what would happen. From there, I tightened up, made it to the money only to have my AA lose to 77 when the other player shoved to my raise. Out in 3rd. It felt like the last straw.I've experienced variance, but this is the worst I've ever heard of. All I can figure is that aside from the hands that I lose when I'm ahead, I must be playing terrible, and I'm not recognizing it.I guess I'm officially a fish now. Come catch me.

So last weekend, I lost 16 (sixteen) $5 9-man SnG's in a row on Stars. By "lost", I mean no cashes. Maybe I wasn't playing great, but when I would get my chips in with the best hand, I'd lose. AA < KQ, or my QQ would meet KK/AA, or my straight against 2-pair would river them a boat. Granted, I was not always ahead, and I'm sure I did make some mistakes, but overall, I've been a winning player at these stakes. But now, I can't seem to win. I can get 2nd place once in awhile, but 1sts are rare. The lack of 1sts has been going on for the last month or so. I really can't explain it.So, tonight I started out by making huge bluffs early in the tournament, and getting a decent stack. Basically, doing "the wrong thing", just to see what would happen. From there, I tightened up, made it to the money only to have my AA lose to 77 when the other player shoved to my raise. Out in 3rd. It felt like the last straw.I've experienced variance, but this is the worst I've ever heard of. All I can figure is that aside from the hands that I lose when I'm ahead, I must be playing terrible, and I'm not recognizing it.I guess I'm officially a fish now. Come catch me.
your sharkscope is still good. Take a break from poker for like a week and read a poker book and you'll be surprised how refreshed you'll be. You'll get the drive for it again. I'm doing it now. I had a good 2 months, up about 10 k , and yesterday lost 1500. So I've also decided to take a week and just not play online poker. You sound like you need to the same thing. GL.
Dude, you can beat these stakes, this I am sure of. If u use any type of normal SNG strategy, you'll beat them. I got a new monitor recently and decided I wanted to get really good at multi tabling SNGs. I started at the bottom, 8 tabling $3.40 SNGs. I could not beat them. I had like 22 games or something without a cash. Sometimes you will just get a sick run of variance, a run that makes people quit poker. I was lucky that mine came after I moved down in stakes. But you just gotta get thru them or take a break and come back refreshed.The thing about SNGs is that if your running bad, they are too hard to beat. Generally, your opponents will be unbluffable, and you will constantly be in 60/40, 50/50 or 40/60 situations. Running bad means you could easily lose 10 of these in a row. It's tough, but it does happen to everyone at one time or another. Just don't let your conifdence get low and keep battling away. Gl
your sharkscope is still good. Take a break from poker for like a week and read a poker book and you'll be surprised how refreshed you'll be. You'll get the drive for it again. I'm doing it now. I had a good 2 months, up about 10 k , and yesterday lost 1500. So I've also decided to take a week and just not play online poker. You sound like you need to the same thing. GL.
Best advice I've heard. I think you are right.
I think you are right.
glad I can help :club: GL with your break. BTW...judging by your sharkscope, you should try some 10 or 20 dollar sit and go's. Looks like you're not trying to increase your stakes too much. But I don't want to tell you how to spend your money.
Best advice I've heard. I think you are right.
I agree with taking a break for a short while. It's a confidence thing, and it's unwise to continue playing when that is shattered.Another thing that I've found positive when this happens (because sometimes you don't want to stop playing completely), is if you play NL, play Pot Limit for a while, if you play mostly Holdem, try Omaha for a couple of days.For me anyway, this sort of 'kicks out' the confidence loss... Much of the time, when I've been on a bad run, it has ended up affecting the way I actually play too, so by changing the set-up for a while it helps, because after a run of terrible beats/bubble finishes, I start playing badly.. making bad decisions etc, so I can't even blame it on just variance.But.. if not, a complete break is wise too. gl

You got unlucky for sure, but after 16 no cashes in a row you were definately tilting. I'm not saying that its impossible to run that bad playing well, but there is no chance that after losing that many anyone would be able to think clearly. Take a break and come back to it later.

been running absolutely horrible lately 2 decided to drop down and play a couple cheap turbos. I feel better now.PokerStars Game #8923409069: Tournament #45377327, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2007/03/15 - 23:33:25 (ET)Table '45377327 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the buttonSeat 5: BockHunter (7734 in chips) Seat 7: ac000000 (5766 in chips) BockHunter: posts the ante 50ac000000: posts the ante 50ac000000: posts small blind 300BockHunter: posts big blind 600*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to ac000000 [6h 5s]ac000000: calls 300BockHunter: checks *** FLOP *** [3s 4s 4c]BockHunter: checks ac000000: bets 1200BockHunter: calls 1200*** TURN *** [3s 4s 4c] [6s]BockHunter: checks ac000000: bets 1200BockHunter: raises 1200 to 2400ac000000: calls 1200*** RIVER *** [3s 4s 4c 6s] [7s]BockHunter: bets 2400ac000000: calls 1516 and is all-in*** SHOW DOWN ***BockHunter: shows [3c 4h] (a full house, Fours full of Threes)ac000000: shows [6h 5s] (a straight flush, Three to Seven)ac000000 collected 11532 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 11532 | Rake 0 Board [3s 4s 4c 6s 7s]Seat 5: BockHunter (big blind) showed [3c 4h] and lost with a full house, Fours full of ThreesSeat 7: ac000000 (button) (small blind) showed [6h 5s] and won (11532) with a straight flush, Three to Seven

:club:
Thanks finz :D I was wondering if I was ever going to make a post which scored me a clapping smiley or a +1.Should not egg the poor skank fellow on, but all he ever does is make abusive posts. Deserves full well to be abused back, in spite of his mental infirmities.......
i'm joining your misery. today i tried moving up in stakes (.5/1) and there was a whopping fish at the table who overvalues ace anything. usually i play with half the max buy in but since he was on my right i did it for the full. after an hour of playing with him at the table (everyone else good) i felt if i overbet utg (i had AK) he would defend his blind -- he reraised. i bet 4 dollars 6 handed, he reraised it to 10, i know he overvalues his ace-anything so i went all in (had his 88 covered). he called. AK vs his AT. he hit his T. i didn't say anything b/c i wanted to win back my money, but i think i was a little bit tilted because i was down a little on the other tables and this.20 minutes of playing very few hands (look everyone, i'm not on tilt, setting up image) i was waiting for my moment to take a pot off him. i didn't care what my hand was, i thought i could outplay him but i didn't realize my level of tilt. he'll bet almost everything but i should have given up after the turn reraise didn't work. here is my hand of shame. i really think only my river bet was ridiculous considering how he plays:Game #3484688423: Hold'em NL ($0.50/$1) - 2007/03/16 - 04:00:22 (GMT)Table "Tzu" Seat 4 is the button. Seat 1: Snoop ($121.22 in chips)Seat 2: DeadWrong ($145.99 in chips)Seat 3: VILLIAN($159 in chips)Seat 4: HERO ($98.75 in chips)Seat 5: redmundir ($140.50 in chips)Seat 6: Golf4L ($100 in chips)redmundir: posts small blind $0.50Golf4L: posts big blind $1----- HOLE CARDS -----dealt to HERO [Qd 7c]Snoop: foldsDeadWrong: foldsVILLIAN: calls $1HERO: raises to $4redmundir: foldsGolf4L: foldsVILLIAN: calls $3----- FLOP ----- [As Kd 2d]VILLIAN: bets $6HERO: calls $6----- TURN ----- [As Kd 2d][3h]VILLIAN: bets $5HERO: raises to $20VILLIAN: calls $15----- RIVER ----- [As Kd 2d 3h][8c]VILLIAN: bets $6HERO: raises to $46VILLIAN: calls $40----- SHOW DOWN -----HERO: shows [Qd 7c] (High Card Ace)VILLIAN: shows [Ah 2h] (Two Pairs, Aces and Twos, King high)VILLIANcollected $150.50 from Main pot----- SUMMARY -----Total pot $153.50 Main pot $150.50 Rake $3Board [As Kd 2d 3h 8c]Seat 1: Snoop folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: DeadWrong folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: VILLIANshowed [Ah 2h] and won ($150.50) with Two Pairs, Aces and Twos, King highSeat 4: HERO (button) showed [Qd 7c] and lost with High Card AceSeat 5: redmundir (small blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 6: Golf4L (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)****HAND ENDS****so yah, i feel miserable like you right now. i not only went up in stakes, but i dbl'd my usual buy in so it's almost like i jumped 2 stakes. i lost a bit on other tables i was multitabling too. anyways, spent two weeks grinding the lower levels and 1 day losing a quarter of it. back to .25/.50 pounds and dollars.other ppl gave good advice about taking a break. but ppl were suggesting going to higher levels, don't do it until you've got some confidence back.
so yah, i feel miserable like you right now. i not only went up in stakes, but i dbl'd my usual buy in so it's almost like i jumped 2 stakes. i lost a bit on other tables i was multitabling too. anyways, spent two weeks grinding the lower levels and 1 day losing a quarter of it. back to .25/.50 pounds and dollars for a bit.
this does not affect a professional in - ter - net poker player.you do not feel the same emotions that we, mere mortals, feel. You are a machine... a robot. Programmed to continue with 0% tilt + 100% confidence in your professional abilities.
this does not affect a professional in - ter - net poker player.you do not feel the same emotions that we, mere mortals, feel. You are a machine... a robot. Programmed to continue with 0% tilt + 100% confidence in your professional abilities.
it was weird, usually i wouldn't have tilted, but i think b/c i was playing out of my comfort zone that the beat got to me.but speaking of which, i'm halfway through my next episode.ps. i liked how you wrote out in-ter-net poker player like how i would have said it lol.
QFT - get the pee bottle out and get back in the game mon!
Meh, I've had one (small) winning session in the last 7 weeks.Downswings happen. And they definitely **** up your confidence.
QFTThe bad thing is, I was feeling good and playing well before Christmas. I took most of December off from playing and since I started back up a few weeks ago, it's all been crap.Oh well.
been running absolutely horrible lately 2 decided to drop down and play a couple cheap turbos. I feel better now.PokerStars Game #8923409069: Tournament #45377327, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2007/03/15 - 23:33:25 (ET)Table '45377327 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the buttonSeat 5: BockHunter (7734 in chips) Seat 7: ac000000 (5766 in chips) BockHunter: posts the ante 50ac000000: posts the ante 50ac000000: posts small blind 300BockHunter: posts big blind 600*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to ac000000 [6h 5s]ac000000: calls 300BockHunter: checks *** FLOP *** [3s 4s 4c]BockHunter: checks ac000000: bets 1200BockHunter: calls 1200*** TURN *** [3s 4s 4c] [6s]BockHunter: checks ac000000: bets 1200BockHunter: raises 1200 to 2400ac000000: calls 1200*** RIVER *** [3s 4s 4c 6s] [7s]BockHunter: bets 2400ac000000: calls 1516 and is all-in*** SHOW DOWN ***BockHunter: shows [3c 4h] (a full house, Fours full of Threes)ac000000: shows [6h 5s] (a straight flush, Three to Seven)ac000000 collected 11532 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 11532 | Rake 0 Board [3s 4s 4c 6s 7s]Seat 5: BockHunter (big blind) showed [3c 4h] and lost with a full house, Fours full of ThreesSeat 7: ac000000 (button) (small blind) showed [6h 5s] and won (11532) with a straight flush, Three to Seven
loooooooooooooooooooooooooool(thinly disguised beat post)last night, (all stacks almost equal, 2nd or 3rd hand of tourney) I raise AT from MP (4xBB), EP limper calls. Board is KTx, two hearts. I lead for 2/3 pot, EP calls. Turn is Qh, I check, he checks (!). River is a black J, I lead out for about 1/3 pot, kind of expecting to get reraised, buddy calls, flips over........43h for a flush! Nicely played! (sw)

Thanks for all the posts and the shoulders to cry on. LOL. I played one more SnG last night and once again, got knocked out in 3rd. Better than 4th, but it still sucks. After that, I had the novel idea of spending time with my family. It felt good.So, I'm going to do my best to enjoy "real-life" for awhile, while potentially also getting started on HOH2. I've read HOH1, but I probably still need to re-read certain sections over and over before it will all sink in.Concerning the posts that mentioned I might want to try moving up, I've tried the $20+2's occasionally, and I've generally gotten my *** kicked. I was often out-played. I lost a big chunk of my small, but proud, bankroll in one night of that. But oddly, I've tried the $30+3 a small number of times, and I've done well. My perception is that the play is looser in the $30+3's, but my perception is EXTREMELY limited.So, I've been poker-free for about 14 hours now. I'm going on vacation in a week, too, so hopefully I'll come back completely refreshed.