Taking A Long Break From Poker

I know most don't give a damn, but I do feel as if I am friends with a good many of you. I'm only posting this here in case it might help others out in similar situations who may feel like they need to re-evaluate where they are with the game and with theirs lives. Much of this it part of a longer letter I've already sent to my good poker friends. Bear with me...I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything, I just feel I need to do this.I have been very well trained to play solidly, but alas none of that matters when your head is not in a good place. And mine is not at the moment.So I am taking a good long break. In spite of all my years of playing and all the great friends and training, lately I am a LOSING player and it is beginning to affect my life. This is NOT a good thing, and I need to be honest with myself and everyone. I need to re group. Oh sure I have my good outings but they are not enough to keep me ahead anymore. I find myself more and more going into my work paycheck to boost my poker bankroll. This may seem like a great thing but in reality it is a very dangerous thing, a horrible thing. I am losing a lot of money. And I am just playing like crap lately, not to mention running like crap. More and more in every session I find my self completely lost in hands, feeling like I have no clue what to do next. This goes against everything I've been taught, and I just need to stop now and seriously reevaluate everything.There are many good reasons why this is the case right now, not the least of which are tremendous stress from recent career/work upheavals, which then created poor sleep habits, which led to fatigue, which leads to poor decision making, which leads to depression, which leads back to poor sleep, etc. etc. etc. I am stuck in this cycle at the moment and it is real, and I just can't ignore it anymore. I need to take it head on and that is going to mean no more cards for a while. I am in a serious downward spiral and as much as I try to will it away with positive thinking I just am not strong enough at the moment. And it is costing me thousands of dollars. My love for the game and getting out and playing has been the one thing that has allowed me to escape all of the other problems...but now the game itself has begun to only ADD to those problems. My wife and I live a good life and we make a good living. We are FAR from being broke, but this game has become a "life leak" if you will. For example, if I were to have taken all the money I have used in poker and poker trips, etc., and instead had put it towards my house or car, they could be paid off by now. Or I could have taken that cash and paid off a few other bills that I’ve let hang on, mostly out of laziness, but more so because I’d rather use that money to keep playing poker instead. This is a bad slope I’m beginning to slip down and it has to stop. I need to get my head and my house in order before I can continue playing. This is a good thing. I need this break.I wish everyone here the best of luck and continued success. Peace out. :club:

best of luck, scott. i hope the trip away from poker helps you get everything back on track.just don't think that getting all emotional on me is going to exempt you from ridicule in any online forum. :club:

I need to get my head and my house in order before I can continue playing. This is a good thing. I need this break.
I was going to be a tool and say you should get a poker coach but it's such a bad joke and there's no need for that.I like what you've written here. It's great that you can step back and see the life leak that poker can be when you're not winning enough to justify staying at the Bellagio. Everyone needs a break from the game sometimes to put things into perspective. I'm going to recommend playing VERY low online when you get your passion for the game back. This will give you your poker outlet and it won't cost you anything more than the time you spend in front of the computer. Do it as a hobby, not a lifestyle.

This is a fantastic post Nutzbuster, eloquent, honest, and admirable. Bravo to you for recognizing the 'life leak' and taking control of your life. Best of luck to you and your wife,Janice

I should follow in your footsteps... but for now I'm gonna continue to be a compulsive gambler. Post back in however long it is that you decide to get back in the ring... and hopefully things turn around.Oh, and bang hot bitches.GL

Wow, Negreanu is not doing a good job keeping this game alive. Lotta degenerates going to poker rehab these days.Poker needs a new face to reinspire burnt-out degenz. All this quit poker melodrama is depressing, and quite frankly bad for the game

You know when I saw your email I was gonna say "well thank god he didnt post this on FCP"And now I see this!

A really good post. I'm sure you'll be back playing at some point, and I imagine when you reflect on this, you'll see the point where in future you will say "This is break time...." which is probably a klick or two back from right now. Have some fun, read a goopy book Oprah recommends, take up jetskiing - go on a retreat, rekindle relationships, spend some time with yourself. Keep us informaed once in a while.God speed.

Well I have not really played much either since it became a nuisance to get money onto Stars. I don't really miss it much either, which seems to be a similar theme for a lot who have been letting it go.Keep posting though, that is what I have done to stay in touch with the game without actually spending too much time or $$$ on it.And good for you for realizing the "life leak" - I am in much the same position, good job, lots of toys, but was spending too much time on the game for a negative return, and neglecting my wife and kids. But kudos to us all for at least going for it and trying to hit a big score - nothing ventured, nothing gained right? We all wanted to be the next Moneymaker or Raymer (results wise).The only problem now is finding something else to be obsessive compulsive about.....Good luck and keep posting.D

A wise move. Poker can be a financial burden, but it also takes up a lot of valuable time. Time that can be spent building relationships with wives and family. Good luck with that.

Everyone needs a break once in a while. I hope everything works out for you Scott and hope this wont deter you from posting here at the Forums. I went through a similar situation in Golf and put the sticks away for 6 months, it was the best decision I ever made. When I started playing again I felt my batteries recharged and my thought process on the links came back to me. If I had continued to play during the (rough patch) I would have lost thousands more. The break re energized me and brought back the passion I had for the game. Good Luck....at least your golf game will improve with no more poker thoughts for awhile!Ozi

Oh, and bang that hot ash wife of yours.
FYP
Wow, Negreanu is not doing a good job keeping this game alive. Lotta degenerates going to poker rehab these days.Poker needs a new face to reinspire burnt-out degenz. All this quit poker melodrama is depressing, and quite frankly bad for the game
Dude...seriously...STFU! This isn't "poker melodrama"...we are in a POKER COMMUNITY. There are a TON of people who have made real life friends through this community...obv myself included. Scott is telling HIS FRIENDS something that has been a serious issue for awhile now. If you don't want his "melodrama", then don't read anymore of this thread. Personally, I think it takes a ton of NUTZ to admit that you have a leak in you life that needs to be fixed. For some of the younger guys w/o a wife, kids, cars, home, 401k's, etc., you can't understand what kinda of stress people who have all of these things go through. It's not like I can decide tommorrow "Well...if I bust my whole poker roll, I can just use my work money to start a new roll instead of PAY MY MORTGAGE or FEED MY FAMILY!!!!" (I am NOT saying any of the younger players don't have bills etc. as well....I am just stating the obv fact that someone who is married, has a mortgage, kid(s), etc. has a ton more stress) If Scott has gotten to the point where he thinks it's in his personal best interest to quit playing poker at the very least for a little while...to me that shows he's a grown ash man trying to handle his business. If his decision to quit playing poker, SO THE QUALITY OF HIS PERSONAL LIFE WILL IMPROVE....how the hell is this "poker melodrama" depressing?Scott...I wish you all the best! You may not ever "officially" quit poker until I get my HU rematch!!!!

Good luck man, I know how you feel. I plan on taking a break too and concentrating on more important things for the next few weeks/months.If you ever need a game too drive you crazy though, I just found this

poker is tremedously fun when your winning but when u run bad it is extreamly frustrating this break will def help u out with stress and get you back on track .. i need a good long term break also but unfortunetly i dont have the self motivation"control" to stop .. hope u do gl tc

GL Nutz. Hope to see you around soon.

Hurry back! :club: In reality, I respect your decision to step away from poker. When and if you do come back I hope you decide to play online exclusively at very low stakes and relearn the game. Instead of playing for the money and the challenge of beating the best, try to treat it as the ultimate video game challenge. Play the inner game with yourself instead of your opponents. Who knows maybe that will get you back to where you are beating the bigger games in the long run....The best to you whatever you do. :D

Sounds like your making a good decision. I am pretty much in the same spot you are for the last few months, I have been busy with school and have'nt played much but when I have it seems like I have been doomed to lose, If I play well I run bad and its been happening so much in the limited (once 2 weeks) sessions i have been playing that it has gotten to me and I started opening up some old leaks, even when I got to my A game I still could'nt turn it around. So I've been on a semi-poker break for a while now and I have enjoyed it.Good luck Scott hope it works out for you, you can always come back refreshed and your game and your state of mind will benefit.