Quiz Question #3

So you have 7,8 and one of them a :D Its close to an impossible call to make, the flush is laughing you right in the face and I wouldnt put you on a pair of 9s, so we are looking at 2 pair, a set or the hand above, I would fold.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fold -- since he called my pre-flop bet, I think I can put him on either a small pair, high cards, or a high pair. The high pair is probably the least likely b/c he didn't raise me pre-flop, so we're probably looking at small pair or high cards.Given the flop, if:Daniel had small pair... then it's very possible (1 in 3) he hit a set, giving me two outs.Daniel had high cards... then he could still outdraw me on the turn and river, especially if one is a club.Daniel had high pair... then I have two outs, so I'm probably toast, especially if one of his cards is a club.I don't like any of these options, and I don't have room to guess as he has me covered -- if I'm wrong, I go to the rail. So... this is a straightforward fold in my opinion.

i cant believe some of you guys are so weak to fold because you think it might be a coin flip! what flop did you want, JJx ?! you're shortstacked here, in a single prize tournament, folding is moronic.
Again I'll say that I would want to know more about chip position....you are short stack but maybe only a few thousand from chip lead....who knows.IMHO a call would be very rash with the info given. At worst you fold and still have over 10 BB's....it is not like you are in a big desperate rush. Two more points: JJ is overvalued 90% of the time. Daniel is EXACTLY the kind of player that would be playing a cutesy hand like unconnected suited cards. Wave at the 18K and move on.

I think you need to call. Remember, this is a one table satelite with only one winner. If you've already put yourself behind the 8-ball by being the short stack, it's go big or go home time. I don't feel that's being rash.When you take in the antes with the blinds, you have to take your stand. Many have said Daniel maybe would have called in the BB with a high pair. If he's already established you raised in first position and it folds around to him, I doubt he would be cute with AA, KK, QQ in this situation. He could have two suited cards, but who says they're clubs? I would expect him to go all in after the flop. Because we know it's Daniel, the "any two card" theory plays into his favor. Why not go all in and make you sweat the decision. It's the perfect flop to bluff at. You are forced to take more risks in one table satelites than in other situations. So take a deep breath, move your chips in and watch it unfold.

hmm... this situation seems very familiar... kinda like tournament of champions negreanu vs. annie duke, it was a very similar flop, and annie threw away her overpair of jacks to daniels pocket 8's with the 8 of clubs. heres why i call, the hand i just mentioned is very possible, or a hand very similar, a pair with a flush draw, in which case its about 50/50, i think in this particular structure where only first place gets something, i have to get in there and gamble a little, if you fold with just 10 big bets left, your going to be in very bad shape. you wont have many more hands to get a hand better than jacks. 60,000 chips, two jacks, if i go broke i go broke.

Knowing that Daniel plays suited cards about 75% of the time when he is delt them I would probably fold. If I was dealt Jacks as the small stack...I don't know that I'd be willing to let you see the flop unless you wanted to call my large raise.After watching Daniel play Erick Lindgren in the WPT event heads-up though... I might just call after all.Daniel appeared to go on tilt after E-Dog turned over that full house.I know it was just heads up, but I couldn't call with Ace high as much as Daniel did.But that's what makes Daniel a pro and me just a silly Amateur. :D

• 1 month later...

In the big blind, and you call, tells me, since I don't have a great read on you, that you are playing the hand simply because you already paid the BB. If you had more, you may be inclinded to raise a mid pocket pair, or high cards to help protect your blind.Flop comes, Im going to guess that you matched the 9, and are confident you have high pair. You are protecting your blind. Ill take that gamble and call.Dev

• 3 weeks later...

From the responses I've read, it seems everyone is approaching the problem from the wrong direction. Remember, No Limit Hold'em is a game of people and situations and your own attitude, the cards are only incidental.First, when you are the short stack at the table, you can never bet unless you are prepared to put all of your chips at risk. Second, odds don't matter any longer. This is King of the Hill. A fight to the death. Total War. Only one player walks away.There is no longer any such thing as taking a stab at a pot. That just leads to becoming even more short stacked. It's total commitment or Fold.How to proceed once Daniel moves in on you really comes down to the one piece of information Daniel did not provide: How much of his own stack is Daniel really risking with his All-In?If he has 100k and is putting 80% of his own stack at risk here, you have to put him on one of the many hands that have you beat and Fold as quickly as possible.BUT, if he is risking less than half his own chips, he is probably just making a move to defend his Blind and test you out. Sure, he'll have outs, and could still win the hand, but it's far less certain that he has you dominated at this point.In that case you Call.All of your agonizing should have occurred before you made your first bet. Going in with the idea that you can somehow come out without betting all of your chips, when you're the short stack, just puts a big neon sign over your head that reads: "PLEASE make a play at me. I love being scared to death."To reiterate: When you are the short stack, you cannot play unless you are willing to take control of the hand from the outset. When you are the short stack, NEVER give your opponents the opportunity to successfully play back at you. Put them to the test. Never allow them to put you to the test. If your initial bet is only going to be 12k, your whole mindset, going in, has to be, "I hope everybody Folds. But, if they don't, I want one of them to make a play at me."Dunce

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You are in a one table single table satellite that pays just the one winner. Of the 10 remaining players you are now the short stack with about 80,000 in chips, with blinds at 3000-6000 with an ante. You pick up two red jacks in first position and make it 18,000 to go leaving you with about 60,000.I'm in the big blind and call you. The flop comes 9-6-2 all clubs. I move all in on you and it's up to you.
I think that because of the way Daniel plays we may be able to fold this hand but it is a very close call because of our low M rating. Agianst most players I might assume they had a middle pair, a nine or the ace of clubs but Daniel's game is clearly alot different than that. His bet here seems like it is designed to look like a bluff so that if you are holding a hand like two jacks then you almost have to call. Also the three clubs on board discontinue the idea that he might be drawing at a straight with 78 since that would be a bonehead play. So the probable hands I would fear would be a set of nines, sixes or 2's, 9's and 6's, QQ, a small flush and of course the Ax of clubs. You have a reasonable chance of beating either the nut flush draw(Ac Ks for example would be a small favorite against you) or 9's and 6's but all the other hands have you crippled. (As an aside the only other logical pocket pair for him to hold would be 1010 which you obviously have dominated)I think the right play would depend on the amount of confidence you have in yourself and your ability to comeback on a short stack. Based on the M rating it is time to go all in but Daniel being an more than savvy player understands this and it seems to me that he may be praying on that fact. He knows that you need to double up, so why would he put himself in a position to do so without holding a hand that is a favorite over JJ here.(One more aside would be that if I held JJ, I would have pot committed myself before the flop so that a horrifically tough decision like this one would not arise)In conclusion I would probably call because I am a huge idiot and my NL game has been C- level lately. Oh well at least there is 30-60 stud on Pacific Poker.
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say fold, just for the simple fact that you have none of the flop and there are way too many different hands that can beat you here, a set, a flush, 2 pair with a draw or any others that you could possibly think. Maybe I call if there was only 2 clubs but not with that board.

Announcements