racism on the world poker tour

I'm going to semi agree with Matt....VVP's comments are racially insensitive, but I wouldn't classify them as being raccist because there wasn't any malice or superiority in there....Baically VVP is an idiot who doesn't know he's being a culturally insensitive white dude, but not a racisst...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, imagine an American at a final table in Europe and all the things they could say about him.
French announcer:"Ooooh, the McDonald's song must zee going off in his head. Ba da ba ba ba. I'm looooving ieeet."
Baically VVP is an idiot who doesn't know he's being a culturally insensitive white dude, but not a racisst...
What does him being a "white dude" have to do with being "culturally insensitive"?? Say culturally insensitive American, not "white dude". White Dude, and American are obviously not the same.

By the way, describing Vince Van Patton's comment as "snide" implies a tone. I really can't picture Vince Van Patton saying that with any hint of 'snideness' and the WPT and Travel Channel both letting it air. You are not calling out only Vince. You're calling out all of the editors, directors, producers, etc of both the WPT and Travel Channel. That's quite a claim.I wish you would just make an argument. Discuss. Something. Coming in here and calling us all idiots just makes you sound like an idiot. I've heard so many things that qualify as racist. This doesn't even come close. Daniel's article had nothing to do with people being verbally racist. It had to do with a lack of exposure for asian players -- many of which are top pros. Blah. It's frustrating for the rest of us that we say we disagree and then you just call us idiots for having a different opinion. Once we all have to think carefully about everything we say, ensuring it fits all Federal PC Guidelines, I will seriously consider killing myself... or moving... which ever seems easiest (probably killing myself.)I'll end with this.PCPolice.jpg

The recent WPT voiceovers are r@cist. I think Matt Miner is using a broader, inclusive definition of r@cism that includes the perpetuation of preconceived notions of specific ethnic groups--in short, a soft form of racial prejudice. Regardless, the show is lame now anyway. Lately, all these t.v. poker shows are lame cut and paste all-in showcases--making n0-limit seem mechanical when we all know better. I've only seen two good poker shows in the past year: Championship Poker @ the Plaza, and Turning Stone live.Anyway, I agree with you Matt, keep ya head up.

Wow....everyone jumped on his back for coming out and saying the same exact thing i thought when i saw the episode. I'm caucasian and my first thought when VVP said that was "damn, someone could easily get offended by that." I found it mildly offensive (anything trying to get a chuckle out of someone because of his/her heritage is borderline r@cist imo) as well as the asian voice over.

Everyone is offended by different things, but the line has to be drawn somewhere, and you are pushing the limit of how to define racism in my opinion.it's not censored that the commentator and the producers of the wpt repeatedly make nasty ethnic comments about minority poker players?
the macarena going off in someones head is NASTY? Wowee

Got torn away cuz Im at work, but JFarrell20 you were saying that Matt put smash in his place in some way/shape/form? Were you being sarcastic or is there actually a thread there this happens? I mean it's hard to imagine because of how poorly he handled himself in this argument that he was able to go toe to toe with smash for more than 1 or 2 posts: but if he did I wanna see it!!! Post the link.

Again, imagine an American at a final table in Europe and all the things they could say about him.
French announcer:"Ooooh, the McDonald's song must zee going off in his head. Ba da ba ba ba. I'm looooving ieeet."
Ha!

In my experience and this is honest and not a comment on anyone here...as to my knowledge I haven't met any of you.The most racist people I have met were the first to scream about everyone else being racist.I now await the abuse and the obvious fact I must be a racist.

wow. you guys are so confused that i really just don't know what to say to you. i post a thread about a serious issue in the poker community (and issue daniel himself has written a cardplayer piece on) and not a single one of you has the intellectual capacity or maturity to understand what's going on. that's really a shame.
You're girlfriend's obviously got a pretty tight grip on your balls. But we obviously lack intellectual capacity if we don't agree with you. As for DN, I respect anything he has to say about poker but he's not an authority on American society. As was mentioned earlier, him immitating Scotty's accent isn't above the misdimeanor you're complaining about.

I was offended by the commercial. They did the same thing - dubbing in a really bad Oriental accent as voice-over - to David Pham 2 weeks ago. That one was even more tasteless: they grabbed footage of him asking the tournament director a question, and they cut it so that it looks like he's gawking at the cleavage of a big breasted waitress. Contemporary audiences would agree the old "Amos-n-Andy" radio shows, 2 white guys "talking black," is r@cist. I don't think this is that different. These arrogant, clueless racial attitudes are typical.

wow. you guys are so confused that i really just don't know what to say to you. i post a thread about a serious issue in the poker community (and issue daniel himself has written a cardplayer piece on) and not a single one of you has the intellectual capacity or maturity to understand what's going on. that's really a shame.
TRANSLATION: You don't agree with me, you're dumb and immature, and I'm extremely righteous. All hail me!
No I have.....but this particular type of arrogant cultural insensitivity is a domain pretty much owned by white people
Is this typecasting not racist in nature on your part?Do you just assume that all white people are culturally insensitive?If so, is that not a classic definition of racism.. or, if not racism, at the very least stereotyping? And if so, how is it any different than stereotyping asians as bad drivers or black people as good basketball players and so on?What if VVP was of Hispanic origin and had said that? Would this become a non-issue or would it still be eliciting this WPT is racist attitude?And when can we get back to talking about poker?
No I have.....but this particular type of arrogant cultural insensitivity is a domain pretty much owned by white people
You r[/b]acist! ;)Also, the asian voiceovers are bad. Those, Miner would get FAR more support on. Instead, he listens to his girlfriend whine about the far lesser offense and that becomes the problem. VVP is quite simply too dumb to be malicious, too oblivious to be racist.
Is this typecasting not censored in nature on your part?Do you just assume that all white people are culturally insensitive?If so, is that not a classic definition of racism.. or, if not racism, at the very least stereotyping? And if so, how is it any different than stereotyping asians as bad drivers or black people as good basketball players and so on?What if VVP was of Hispanic origin and had said that? Would this become a non-issue or would it still be eliciting this WPT is censored attitude?And when can we get back to talking about poker?
Ok...First off I am white (jewish actually, some people consider that white while others don't)....The point is , I don't believe that song is costa rican, and VVP sang that song because he is latino.....It is similar to someone singing German drinking songs when they see an Irishman because all they see is white............

I agree with Matt.Alot of the WPT comments are based on generalizations and stereotypes. A lot of what they say are based only on their race. The voiceovers are extremely exaggerated and almost mocking.And realize that he's not being too sensitive about it because he has some valid points along with some other people that have posted about it.It's an important issue and should be discussed. Don't minimilize his feelings if he's truly offended by it.It doesn't matter if this is a small issue of racism compared to larger issues that happen everyday...Every racist issue needs to be addressed.The point is that the WPT should just be more sensitive to the concept of race and the way minorities are portrayed in their commercials.

I remember Vince saying this once.Chris Moneymaker has Banjos from the movie Deliverance going off in his head. I think it is funny how people get upset over such little things. It is obvious he has no intentions of insulting anybody.