what the hell just happened???

So last week I am playing $20/40 Holdem at Foxwoods. The game is very tight. So this works out good for me, because not only am my raising alot of hands and not getting to the river while winning many pots(not that the pots are large, but my stack is constantly increasing all day), I am seen as a loose player and every now and then I have to turn over a "GAFF" hand that still wins. I have control of the table. The following hand comes up. I am the button and everyone is out to me. Normally I would not even look at my cards, but as people are folding up front I peek down and see A :D K :D, I am going to raise anyway, but this makes me like my hand. Any way the SB and BB call. The FLOP A :club: A :) 9 :D . So not only have I flopped a monster, I have a back door flush draw. SB -- checks, BB -- checks, I bet, called in both spots. Turn Q :) , check, check, I make it $40, and before I can blink it's $80 and then $120. My stomach is turning, what just happened. I decide I am beat and lay my hand. What would you all do?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So last week I am playing $20/40 Holdem at Foxwoods. The game is very tight. So this works out good for me, because not only am my raising alot of hands and not getting to the river while winning many pots(not that the pots are large, but my stack is constantly increasing all day), I am seen as a loose player and every now and then I have to turn over a "GAFF" hand that still wins. I have control of the table. The following hand comes up. I am the button and everyone is out to me. Normally I would not even look at my cards, but as people are folding up front I peek down and see A :D K :D, I am going to raise anyway, but this makes me like my hand. Any way the SB and BB call. The FLOP A :club: A :) 9 :D . So not only have I flopped a monster, I have a back door flush draw. SB -- checks, BB -- checks, I bet, called in both spots. Turn Q :) , check, check, I make it $40, and before I can blink it's $80 and then $120. My stomach is turning, what just happened. I decide I am beat and lay my hand. What would you all do?
uhh, go to 160.... what do you put them on? QQ? definitely not from the SB as he would have reraised PF to isolate. The BB is questionable but i still think you can expect a 60 shot PF from him with QQ. AQ, im thinking you'll get 3 bet PF as well. also, if either has the other bullet, you're gonna hear about it on the flop. no competent 20-40 player would slowplay on a board like that against a blind steal. it'll kill the action. they'd rather make it look like they're trying to buy the flop with a lead out.
Yuck...I don't play 20 40 limit but I'm showing down this hand. Slowing down and calling seems like the right move to me. You've got trips with top kicker. If you're known as the loose aggresive player at the table I'd think that you're getting 3 bet by queens so you can probably throw that one out. The hands I'd be worried about are pocket 9's and ace queen. It's quite possible that ace queen woulda 3 bet you too pre flop though.
I'll agree with you since nobody else seems to, I say the BB has A9 , 99 or AQ. And its not impossible to think someone had QQ. Like you said its a tight game and now on the expensive street you get raised and re-raised, I think you're beat here. One player raising might make you call down but but of them firing is not good.

anyone advocating a fold here doesnt play much mid-limit holdem. I would go 3 bets out of the BB here with A2. Button could be on a complete steal, SB could have caught the Q and, putting button on rags, decided to push BB out and force headup with button. BB could be on any ace, thinking button on rags, SB on queen, my ace is huge, im gonna slowplay.

There's no way you are beat here. Any hands that beat you here, would have re-raised you preflop. I think they both have Qx and think they have the lead now.Cap it on the turn, bet out and if they raise again, then just call the river.

honestly from what u wrote it sounded like they thought u were loose, no way they would think u have the ace, even if your beat right then u have 3 outs to make the nuts, maybe even 4 if know one has the ace, u folded a quads draw lol,

There's no way you are beat here. Any hands that beat you here, would have re-raised you preflop. I think they both have Qx and think they have the lead now.Cap it on the turn, bet out and if they raise again, then just call the river.
you would 3 bet preflop with AQ or A9? I might with 99 but I'd rarely do it with AQ and never with A9 at a full table. Maybe you and Blaze are right but I think with tight players he is behind is this hand.

Since everyone folded up front and it was just you three, it's very possible that all 3 of you had great hands. And since you were seen as a loose aggressive player it's also not impossible to think they would slowplay 99 or QQ with a flat call to your raise. They would want you to be committing money to the pot fearlessly, and if they had reraised you you would've had to lay down a mediocre hand. Good lay down in my opinion. The only thing you could've been looking for on the river was the last A or a K.

you would 3 bet preflop with AQ or A9? I might with 99 but I'd rarely do it with AQ and never with A9 at a full table. Maybe you and Blaze are right but I think with tight players he is behind is this hand.
Against a loose player who raises every hand? Yes. Why not?Maybe not A9... but I still don't think he was beat.
There's no way you are beat here. Any hands that beat you here, would have re-raised you preflop.
Um, wrong.He could be beat. A-9, A-Q, 9-9? Not everyone at the table is going to 3-bet preflop with those hands.Doesn't mean he should fold though. He said he's seen as the loose one at the table.
Granted I have not played the mid limits, but I would play 99 the same way that the BB did. I would put the SB on a weaker ace than the AK, but I just don't think that I could discount 99 out of the BB. 99 is not a hand that you would 3 bet preflop even if it were against a steal because it doesn't play well heads up. Now, granted, I would have to pay the 99 if he had it so I think a call down is imminent here.
There's no way you are beat here. Any hands that beat you here, would have re-raised you preflop.
Um, wrong.He could be beat. A-9, A-Q, 9-9? Not everyone at the table is going to 3-bet preflop with those hands.Doesn't mean he should fold though. He said he's seen as the loose one at the table.
Fine, let me rephrase.Any hand that beats you... If it was being played by a good player who was paying attention... SHOULD have re-raised you preflop. Maybe they are stupid, which is quite possible.But there is still no way he should have folded. More than likely they had Qx or Ax. Or one of each.
Granted I have not played the mid limits, but I would play 99 the same way that the BB did. I would put the SB on a weaker ace than the AK, but I just don't think that I could discount 99 out of the BB. 99 is not a hand that you would 3 bet preflop even if it were against a steal because it doesn't play well heads up. Now, granted, I would have to pay the 99 if he had it so I think a call down is imminent here.
A call down could cost you 7 more BB's against 2 players raising, of course SB could have been stealing.

Well those of you advocating a call or a cap on the turn would be WRONG. The thing you have to realize, is while I played loose all day, I still kenw what I could beat. And at this point in the hand I figured they had either A9 or 99, as QQ seemed unlikely. As it turns out the SB had AQ and the big blind had 99. So how was their play pre and post flop???? If I were in their situations pre flop, AQ is a definite 3 bet (as the button has been raising all day) and 99 is a definite cap pre flop, because with 99 in the BB I am thinking that the button is on a steal, and the SB is trying to isolate, so I figure to have the best hand with 99. By the way just blaze you are wrong again. :shock:

Well those of you advocating a call or a cap on the turn would be WRONG. The thing you have to realize, is while I played loose all day, I still kenw what I could beat. And at this point in the hand I figured they had either A9 or 99, as QQ seemed unlikely. As it turns out the SB had AQ and the big blind had 99. So how was their play pre and post flop???? If I were in their situations pre flop, AQ is a definite 3 bet (as the button has been raising all day) and 99 is a definite cap pre flop, because with 99 in the BB I am thinking that the button is on a steal, and the SB is trying to isolate, so I figure to have the best hand with 99. By the way just blaze you are wrong again. :shock:
why am i wrong? because in this specific instance the result was a loss? good luck with that kind of thinking. My line is still +EV under those circumstances. SB played the hand poorly preflop. Post it to 2+2 and see how badly you get flamed for the fold.

I wouldn't worry about a capped bet heads up in this spot but two raises by two different players back to me would make me doubt the quality of my hand. Obviously at least one of them has or can beat the trip aces. Now if they just have it you're golden because they can't out kick you. I'd be very worred about AQ here. AJ is a possibility as is AT but I would expect more strength to be shown on the flop, trying to gauge the quality of their kicker, rather than on the turn when the Q hit. I find it pretty easy to put one of them on AQ as I, personally, might be wary of three betting out of position with it.I like the fold. Not much invested in this hand yet and it's going to cost you a lot to showdown a potential winner. In the end the only thing that would change my mind is how the blinds have been playing and how I've been reading them.