James Cameron Finds Jesus

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is serious thread.Here are serious optical illusion.

Anger is an emotion. So is happiness. The bible expresses many times emotions that God "felt". To take that away would be to limit him, not the opposite.
Feeling an emotion is an effect of a cause. If an omnipotent being was liable to be affected in certain ways to any causes, then that being wouldn't be omnipotent.An omnipotent being would have to be all knowing of emotion and would, obviously, be able to force an emotion on itself to feel. But for a situation to happen and then for this being to be emotionally affected by it (out of it's own control... meaning the cause bringing the emotion and not the being bringing the emotion), then there would be no omnipotence.That is what everyone means when they speak of it being impossible for God to be affected by emotion.Edit: The idea of omnipotence is a joke, anyway. Well, it's not a joke if you give no reverence to logic and reason, of course.
Feeling an emotion is an effect of a cause. If an omnipotent being was liable to be affected in certain ways to any causes, then that being wouldn't be omnipotent.An omnipotent being would have to be all knowing of emotion and would, obviously, be able to force an emotion on itself to feel. But for a situation to happen and then for this being to be emotionally affected by it (out of it's own control... meaning the cause bringing the emotion and not the being bringing the emotion), then there would be no omnipotence.That is what everyone means when they speak of it being impossible for God to be affected by emotion.Edit: The idea of omnipotence is a joke, anyway. Well, it's not a joke if you give no reverence to logic and reason, of course.
Or, God does have the ability to get angry or whatever if he so chooses to. If you were God, you could do/be whatever you wanted. If we are created in God's image, a spirit being, then it stands to reason that God would have some of the same characteristics. Of course, you would have to believe in God to give him that credit. You don't. End of story.
Or, God does have the ability to get angry or whatever if he so chooses to.
Possibly one of the reasons for thr Incarnation, to experience these things as we experience them.
If we are created in God's image, a spirit being, then it stands to reason that God would have some of the same characteristics.
Well, it makes sense that we have characteristics of God, but feeling anger is not one of them. Emotions like anger or fear are generated in the oldest part of the brain, the most animal-like portion. Strong emotions like these are least spirit and most physical, they generate the most chemical changes and use the greatest amount of physical energy. Unless one is a pantheist, God is not matter, ergo, no anger, fear or any of the destructive human emotions. Being unlimited, God of course knows these things perfectly, but is not subject to them.

An omnipotent being can not be subject to anything :-/Lois, it does not matter if I believe in an omnipotent being or not. Just because I don't believe doesn't mean that I don't understand what omnipotence is. I don't have to believe in a fictional character to give it fictional credits.So God is just a spirit being? He's not omnipotent? Trying to tell me something, Lois?"Or, God does have the ability to get angry or whatever if he so chooses to."Already covered that in my original post you quoted, buddy. God can not portray emotion as an effect, but only as his choice, to be omnipotent. Meaning that a situation can not occur that would cause God to be angry. If it did, then God would not be omnipotent. God would have to see a situation, know everything, and then decide that he wants to feel angry. Which is kind of silly... and pointless if you think about it.

An omnipotent being can not be subject to anything :-/Lois, it does not matter if I believe in an omnipotent being or not. Just because I don't believe doesn't mean that I don't understand what omnipotence is. I don't have to believe in a fictional character to give it fictional credits.So God is just a spirit being? He's not omnipotent? Trying to tell me something, Lois?"Or, God does have the ability to get angry or whatever if he so chooses to."Already covered that in my original post you quoted, buddy. God can not portray emotion as an effect, but only as his choice, to be omnipotent. Meaning that a situation can not occur that would cause God to be angry. If it did, then God would not be omnipotent. God would have to see a situation, know everything, and then decide that he wants to feel angry. Which is kind of silly... and pointless if you think about it.
This is excellent. Seriously. And my Church agrees completely. So, since theists believe humans are body and spirit, it raises the issue of choice: while we may have an instant reaction we identify as anger, as people made in God's image, to continue to have the feelings is our choice.
This is excellent. Seriously. And my Church agrees completely. So, since theists believe humans are body and spirit, it raises the issue of choice: while we may have an instant reaction we identify as anger, as people made in God's image, to continue to have the feelings is our choice.
That was actually what I was trying to say- if he felt like it he could choose to feel it, just as we. Thank you. You said it better than I, and I appreciate it. Now, on to the actual matter- the scriptures describe God as being angry with certain situations. Many times. So, what I have always gathered, is that God looks down, sees something that doesn't please him- see, good pleases him, evil does not, and he reacts accordingly. I have no problem giving God that power. Just because he can observe a situaion and react to it doesn't take away omnipotence- and, I also wonder sometimes if, to make there arguments, and atheist needs to use the extreme-- meaning, God knows all,sees all, which is true, but they leave out the part that he doesn't neccesarily have to, they have no real definition of the word all as God sees it- he can choose to see the future or not. Not to mention that the future is not set in stone- I don't believe that it needs to be, anyway. God could see all 3,000 possibilities that could happen if I go left or right and still be able to say that he can see the future,if you go by the notion(which I always have) that the future itself is a liquid and not a solid. Actually, really, I suppose you could say that I can see the future, at least my own. I can predict rather well what tommorow will bring, and it will be a solid 80% correct. The 20% is the thousands of possibilities that I can't see, only God can- if he chose to. There is quite a few things that go into this line of thinking, that if we think about it as far as Christianity goes it reduces God's workload. Who does God love? The world. Who does he give his attention to in this world? His chosen people. Biblically, who is that? Christians. And, as we established long ago, christianity as defined by the bible is not mainstream. So, now we have reduced God's workload quite a bit. He now has a very small sample of people- "a peculiar people" as defined by scripture- that absolutely need tending to on a daily basis, because that was his promise to them. Prayer is reduced by a crazy amount, because he says directly in scripture that he doesn't hear sinners. Also, he has a angels of protection that he gives to every child- that's every child, not just christian children- who help him in that area. So, while his workload is great really he is all about his people, and being faithful to them when they are faithful to him. His omnipotence is great, yet he has created a system that leaves the idea on te table that, if this life in fact is just agame as Toth would like to think, it is at least a team sport.
Possibly one of the reasons for thr Incarnation, to experience these things as we experience them. Well, it makes sense that we have characteristics of God, but feeling anger is not one of them. Emotions like anger or fear are generated in the oldest part of the brain, the most animal-like portion. Strong emotions like these are least spirit and most physical, they generate the most chemical changes and use the greatest amount of physical energy. Unless one is a pantheist, God is not matter, ergo, no anger, fear or any of the destructive human emotions. Being unlimited, God of course knows these things perfectly, but is not subject to them.
Not subject to them but certainly able to project the power generated by them- whether love or anger,

Premise 1: God doesn't listen to sinnersPremise 2: Everyone is a sinnerConclusion: God listens to no oneIs this what you're claiming the Bible says?

Premise 1: God doesn't listen to sinnersPremise 2: Everyone is a sinnerConclusion: God listens to no oneIs this what you're claiming the Bible says?
Except he also says the fervent prayer of the rightouess availeth much. I will post a scripture later. Gotta take my kid to school.
Not subject to them but certainly able to project the power generated by them- whether love or anger,
Again, we have different ideas abvout the nature of the Divine. Here is mine. God doesn't get angry and punish people for not doing what He says - but - the result ends up being the same, anyway.11/1 Analogy of the Day:It like God cleared a safe, if not easy, path for us to follow to get everything we could want, through a lot of thornbushes and quicksand and pits of deadly vipers and then said, "Stay on this path and you'll be fine." Sin is straying off the path and then we fall into some awfulness. But God doesn't make it happen, it is simply the nature of The Way Thing Work. But, always loving us, God is ready to grab us up and put us back on the path any time we ask, He just won't interfere with our decisions - if we want to keep wandering about in the wilderness, well, our choice. It's why I like the Jesus' wandering in the wilderness story so much as the sign of human/divine interaction. He, as man, went into the wilderness; He, as Divinity, found nothing there He wanted. He, as man, was brought out of the wilderness by the Father; He, as Divinity, leads us all out if we just follow Him.I bet there is one thing we agree on: how much we love Jesus Christ.