There are things I know, and things I don't know. What I do know is that you shouldn't move up unless you are properly rolled. What I don't know is how many hands at one limit does it take for a somewhat winning player to get the roll to move up. How many hands do you need to play to know if you are even a winning player?Ever since depositing became a pain in the rear, I withdrew a few hundred from UB and just left myself with $50. So now I'm stuck playing $2NL. Yes, it sucks. I've only played a little over 1,000 hands so far (small sample size). But I am in the green, and I guess my stats on Pokertracker are okay. So how many hands would I need before I can make the move to $10NL?

Good question. I was thinking of a similar post as well, under the title of "What does it mean when someone is "crushing" a game" in terms of how much profit, or winning sessions in a row gives a clue that it is time to move up in stakes.

I play for fun and challenge, money is a side benefit ( or would be )I play any stakes I want.If you are a true grinder playing for eating money then worry about the 300BB rule.

I play for fun and challenge, money is a side benefit ( or would be )I play any stakes I want.If you are a true grinder playing for eating money then worry about the 300BB rule.
limit 500 bbNL 50 buy ins
Not asking for bankroll advice. I'm asking if there is a typical number of hands one would have to play before having the bankroll to move up to the next level.Edit: And how many hands before you would know if you're a winning or a losing player.
Not asking for bankroll advice. I'm asking if there is a typical number of hands one would have to play before having the bankroll to move up to the next level.
You are asking a question that does not have an answer.You want to know...HOW MANY hands before you can move up? It's 100000000000000% bankroll dependant.For example...let's say you "think" you are ready to move up a level but don't have the proper roll for that level. Unless you run hot, in general, you will ALWAYS GO BROKE if you can't stay within the confines of that bankroll. There is this little thing called "varience" that always rears it's ugly head. So it doesn't matter how good you are, if you aren't properly rolled for that level...you will go broke.Now...if you don't "care" about your roll...then by all means take shots at higher levels. I am sure 5 buys ins is plenty at any level you move up to! sw
You are asking a question that does not have an answer.You want to know...HOW MANY hands before you can move up? It's 100000000000000% bankroll dependant.For example...let's say you "think" you are ready to move up a level but don't have the proper roll for that level. Unless you run hot, in general, you will ALWAYS GO BROKE if you can't stay within the confines of that bankroll. There is this little thing called "varience" that always rears it's ugly head. So it doesn't matter how good you are, if you aren't properly rolled for that level...you will go broke.Now...if you don't "care" about your roll...then by all means take shots at higher levels. I am sure 5 buys ins is plenty at any level you move up to! sw
Now what about number of hands to determine if you're a winning player? Obviously you can show a profit after 1,000 hands, but I'm sure that's too small of a sample size to really know if you play well, or just running well.
Now what about number of hands to determine if you're a winning player? Obviously you can show a profit after 1,000 hands, but I'm sure that's too small of a sample size to really know if you play well, or just running well.
It is too small to definitively know what kind of player you are. I am sure others could tell you how many hands you need to have a better idea, but I know 1k is too small. Prolly more like 20-30kish would be my guess.Hope that helped!
It is too small to definitively know what kind of player you are. I am sure others could tell you how many hands you need to have a better idea, but I know 1k is too small. Prolly more like 20-30kish would be my guess.Hope that helped!
It did. ThanksAs far as my other question (how many hands before moving up). I didn't know if there were some people that may keep playing at a lower level (even though they are rolled to move up) until they reach a certain number of hands to insure that they were truly beating the current level.

atleast 12-15k hands id say. but at the low limits your playing, after 5k hands if your in the green you can pretty much assume your beating the game well enough to move up assuming you have the roll, well they really go hand in hand. Although if you were playing anything higher then say $50NL and up I think minimum 12k-15k will give you good idea if it time to move up.

atleast 12-15k hands id say. but at the low limits your playing, after 5k hands if your in the green you can pretty much assume your beating the game well enough to move up assuming you have the roll, well they really go hand in hand. Although if you were playing anything higher then say $50NL and up I think minimum 12k-15k will give you good idea if it time to move up.
Thanks for the response. It definitely blows playing $2NL, but it's what happens when you withdraw most of your BR. I would take some shots at higher limits, but I really don't want to risk going broke since depositing is now a pain.

To make you happy and give you an answer (even though it can't really work this way)Take your win rate, figure out how many hands per hour you play. Simple math and there you go, you can figure out how many hands you'll have to play to move up.If you win a $1 and hour and only play 30 hands/hr. and you need $100 in order to move up, you'll have to play 3000 hands... or something like that. Does this answer your question? It will never work like this, but you can believe it will.

I moved up when I had the proper rollI earned the roll through playing, only.So, imo, by the time you earn the roll for the next level, you've played enough.Enough to know 100% certain you can beat the current, much less, next level?No, but I can always move down.