Dn's Next Tv Poison

Sopranos v. Wire may well come down to preference. My preference toward The Wire probably boils down to what I see as a more complete narrative over the course of the seasons. While the spotlight of the show shifts dramatically in both location and character focus, it still feels complete. Sopranos on the other hand never shifts all that dramatically in focus yet somehow I find the narrative doesn't develop as well. (Note I said "as well" ... it's still a fantastic show ... we're comparing two of the finest TV shows ever.)Every episode of The Wire develops the overall story. The Sopranos, to me, has diverted way too much at times. There are times when I've felt like The Sopranos was being stretched out or taken off course from where how it might have developed without its level of commercial success. The Wire gets practically ignored (despite averaging a 98 out of 100 on Metacritic), it doesn't win the major awards, and doesn't get a lot of mainstream attention. While this makes fans like me a little angry, I think it has led to all the creative decisions being made for the better of the overall story.I don't want to get into spoilers but think about McNulty's role this season -- then try to imagine any other show doing that. I can't think of any show in history which has shifted its direction and focus so much and yet still told the same, linear story overall. I'm not saying that alone makes it better than anything else -- but it's certainly a different (and braver) approach to television. This is both the biggest strength of The Wire and its biggest weakness or hurdle in attracting more viewers; it's impossible to just "jump in" halfway through and have the slightest idea what's going on.Plus I will agree with a prior poster that Buffy is a very good show; although I tend to prefer the later seasons to 1 and 2. Yes they creatively mis-stepped a little in the later seasons but overall the writing was far superior to the "monster of the week" nature of the early episodes.

Veronica Mars is a very enjoyable show. I have all of this season on my iPod ready to watch once it ends.Prison Break is a good mindless show. It is about as unrealistic as a show can possibly be, but it's fun.I've heard great things about The Wire, but never watched it. Is it fast paced enough that it will keep me interested while doing the worst thing on earth...running on a treadmill?The greatest show of all time, of course, is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And yes, I'm nearly 30 years old. I'll put seasons 1-3 of that up against anything else I've watched.Yeah, I called Prison Break unrealistic and then ended this with a post about a vampire killing cheerleader.
I'm a few years older than you, and I have to agree, Buffy was one of the greatest shows of all time.My current choices for great shows are The Wire, Jericho, and Rescue Me when it comes back on. (Of course, I'm also a closet Smallville, Supernatural, and Veronica Mars fan).
Sopranos v. Wire may well come down to preference. My preference toward The Wire probably boils down to what I see as a more complete narrative over the course of the seasons. While the spotlight of the show shifts dramatically in both location and character focus, it still feels complete. Sopranos on the other hand never shifts all that dramatically in focus yet somehow I find the narrative doesn't develop as well. (Note I said "as well" ... it's still a fantastic show ... we're comparing two of the finest TV shows ever.)Every episode of The Wire develops the overall story. The Sopranos, to me, has diverted way too much at times. There are times when I've felt like The Sopranos was being stretched out or taken off course from where how it might have developed without its level of commercial success. The Wire gets practically ignored (despite averaging a 98 out of 100 on Metacritic), it doesn't win the major awards, and doesn't get a lot of mainstream attention. While this makes fans like me a little angry, I think it has led to all the creative decisions being made for the better of the overall story.I don't want to get into spoilers but think about McNulty's role this season -- then try to imagine any other show doing that. I can't think of any show in history which has shifted its direction and focus so much and yet still told the same, linear story overall. I'm not saying that alone makes it better than anything else -- but it's certainly a different (and braver) approach to television. This is both the biggest strength of The Wire and its biggest weakness or hurdle in attracting more viewers; it's impossible to just "jump in" halfway through and have the slightest idea what's going on.Plus I will agree with a prior poster that Buffy is a very good show; although I tend to prefer the later seasons to 1 and 2. Yes they creatively mis-stepped a little in the later seasons but overall the writing was far superior to the "monster of the week" nature of the early episodes.
**** Spoilers *******What a great post! Just to add to the point about McNulty, I would say that through the first three seasons --although the show technically has what may be termed as an "ensemble" cast-- the two major characters were McNulty and Stringer Bell. The producers kill off Bell at the end of the third season and make McNulty's character a peripheral one at best. Yet, despite the emotional investment the viewers had on these (as well as some other departed characters such as D'Angelo Barksdale, Frank Zobotka etc.) , the show is able to come back, not miss a beat and perharps even be more effective through its depiction of the four middle school kids and the educational system. It's a shame that The Wire doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I have been watching a British show called "Spooks" (It is on DVD entitled "MI:5"). I have watched 3 of the 5 seasons so far and it is a truly great show. I highly recommend it for any fan of "24". It will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat.Another TV series that I can go back and watch at least once a year is "Sports Night". It has to have some of the best writing I've ever encountered in that style of show.

The Wire is hands down the best show on television!One suggestion that I would make is watching it with the subtitles on, for several reasons:1 ) David Simon (creator) pulls no punches with the lingo. Both on the side of the law and the dealers, he will willfully leave you in the dust in order to make his show 100% accurate. Realism is EVERYTHING.2 ) All of the characters have very thick, although very precise Baltimore accents. If a character has lived in Baltimore all his life, you can definitely tell. This can make fast and low conversation hard to understand.3 ) There is an almost secret subplot in the brands of drugs that the corner kids are selling. When one faction is taking over, their brands are being shouted by kids in the background. This can be very hard to key in on unless you have subtitles on.4 ) This show is made by the details, and what awesome details they are. Letting a line of conversation go by without fully understanding what is going on can make you miss out on something critical. I've watched all four seasons (DVD subtitles are good, HBO's/Directv's subtitles are awful) with them on and off, and I got much more enjoyment with them on. All in all, this is a show that you have to pay direct attention to, and you have to give it at least 3 or 4 episodes starting out. Once you do, you'll be so glad you got hooked on this show! It does not let you down by any means.

First off, I'd like to say that I've seen the first three seasons of the Wire and they were awesome (albeit somewhat difficult to get into). What I don't get is why people are saying you have to pay attention so much or you will miss stuff. What exactly will you miss? For shows like Lost there are a lot of easter eggs and small clues in small things, but I haven't seen anything of the sort with the Wire. It's a great story, with great characters but why exaclty does it need ones undivided attention?Also, what's up with Buffy? I have heard and read many people who watch quality TV shows (imo obviously) say they like it. I've seen a bunch of episodes but it still seems to be a show about a girl kicking vampire ***. What's so great about it?Also, I'd like to nominate Entourage (HBO) for a show you can watch. It's not as deep as most shows in this thread, but very enjoyable nonetheless, especially if you can identify with the characters.

First off, I'd like to say that I've seen the first three seasons of the Wire and they were awesome (albeit somewhat difficult to get into). What I don't get is why people are saying you have to pay attention so much or you will miss stuff. What exactly will you miss? For shows like Lost there are a lot of easter eggs and small clues in small things, but I haven't seen anything of the sort with the Wire. It's a great story, with great characters but why exaclty does it need ones undivided attention?
Do people still believe that the writers of Lost have any idea what they're doing? :club: Sorry ... couldn't resist. Anyway, as for The Wire, it's just very involved, with lots of characters. Plot points aren't repeated like network shows tend to do. It's hard to think of a specific example but I would often get the old "wait ... who is this and why are they doing that?" from the wife (and she isn't usually lost during a show or movie). Many "cop shows" (The Wire isn't a cop show -- I hate cop shows) often have the cops serve as narrators explaining and advancing the storyline with absurd exposition dialogue that sounds forced and only exists to explain to the "dumb" viewer what's going on. The Wire doesn't do that -- you have to figure it out yourself. I think a good example of this is when McNulty and Bunk work a crime scene completely silently (well ... actually they say one word over and over again). I think that scene was a direct parody of the CSI type shows where they verbally explain every tiny detail of the crime from the scene. The Wire doesn't lead the viewer by the hand and treat you like a grade-school kid like network cop shows. You have to figure some stuff out for yourself. Sometimes you'll miss something and be a little confused; sometimes it's so subtle you'll never know you missed something. It's just very intricate. It's logically intricate though; not just complicated and confusing as a plot point (like Lost).
Also, what's up with Buffy? I have heard and read many people who watch quality TV shows (imo obviously) say they like it. I've seen a bunch of episodes but it still seems to be a show about a girl kicking vampire ***. What's so great about it?
Well it's no more inherently ridiculous than Lost (or even 24 for that matter). It's just a really well written show. At times hilariously funny, dramatic and interesting. As I said before, I personally feel it only hit its stride in season three. I'd suggest watching something like Hush (season 4, episode I don't know). You won't know entirely what's going on but it'll give you a general feel for the show and if you like it enough then you can go back and watch from the start. Season 1 IMO is kind of task to get through -- one could even start from season 2 and probably be okay.

I've never seen "the Wire" but seriously, does it really beat out Married with Children as the greatest show of all time? Some newer shows that I enjoy are House and Heroes. I'll Have to check The Wire out.

What a great post! Just to add to the point about McNulty, I would say that through the first three seasons --although the show technically has what may be termed as an "ensemble" cast-- the two major characters were McNulty and Stringer Bell. The producers kill off Bell at the end of the third season and make McNulty's character a peripheral one at best. Yet, despite the emotional investment the viewers had on these (as well as some other departed characters such as D'Angelo Barksdale, Frank Zobotka etc.) , the show is able to come back, not miss a beat and perharps even be more effective through its depiction of the four middle school kids and the educational system. It's a shame that The Wire doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
If I were you I would change your post because if Daniel hasn't seen the Wire yet, you have a chance of not ruining it for him and others who haven't seen it.
If I were you I would change your post because if Daniel hasn't seen the Wire yet, you have a chance of not ruining it for him and others who haven't seen it.
Ouch, I missed Ohen's post. Somebody needs to delete that ASAP!!!DANIEL!!!! DONT READ IT!!!!