New Challenge (old Challenge)

No, because you can narrow ranges so much more in 6 max and full ring...ie Heads up he could be starting with literally any two cards, rarely the case in 6 max or full ring. If you don't shove hands like this HU it will accomplish two things both of which are negative:A) When you do shove, he will know you "have it" and fold since you'll be shoving much more infrequently2) You will lose so many hands that don't go to showdown that any hands that you profit from when you "have it" will not nearly make up for the hands you win when you go to showdown, which will not be as many either (see #1)Call this last part "dik waving" or whatever you want, but if these concepts are not standard to you, you are way behind the learning curve at even the lowest of limits online. There's just no other nice way to say it.
How can they be standard to someone who never plays HU poker lol kinda of a dumb statement there sunshine.
  • Replies 61.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoSup4U

• RDog

• bull62

• Jordan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody like you, so you get lost.

Posted Images

http://www.figliopizza.com/is the place...click the bottom link for figlio's...it's connected to a wine bar which is cool too; keturah and i go here often.you can find their menu as well thru their site...the place has a cozy fit to it...it's always pretty full at normal dinner hours, and the it keeps to an italian setting i guess which is kinda close quartered...the kitchen is for the most part, part of the restaurant as well...but there is a back room there, and you can request to sit back there (talk to them when u make ur reserv.) if u want in a more private setting...but honestly dude, i like how it's set up, and i really like the food and the atmosphere there...it's in grandview which is a really cool part of columbus...few other cool places within walking distance of the restaurant.- Jordan
This is one of the cooler descriptions of the atmosphere at a restaurant that I've ever heard.Mark

Here's my brag for the day:In January I had only $60 in my account after LFTing off almost all of my bankroll. I also took a step back and re-evaluated my game, realized that I sucked (which was a tough pill to swallow), got tired of depositing and decided I never wanted to do it again, started studying the game of poker quite intensely, and started playing with a brand new style, gameplan, and understanding for what I was doing.Today (with about $150 worth of help from rakeback and clearing some bonuses) is the first day my bankroll officially sits over $1k... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Here is the graph of my year so far. Can anyone guess when I stopped trying to run crazy bluffs and just started focusing on playing only solid poker? :club: Probably would have crossed this threshold sooner had I figured that out earlier, but it's all part of the learning process I guess...1kweeeeeeehy8.jpg

Jamie, you should be folding both those hands preflop, especially in a cap game. It would be pretty damn hard to play them profitably in a 100bb max game; in a cap game its real bad spew. Even at these limits; it breeds bad habits for when you want to move up.
yea, normally i wouldn't play either one of those, esp not oop--the thing was that this game was SO sick postflop--they'd always c-bet the pot and call a shove (if they c-bet) literally no matter what, so i was nearly in call any hand pre mode. like, the average pot for a 1/2 80 cap game was 85 bucks. is it bad to play most semi-connected hands in those situations? i've always done that, but if you think it's a bad idea i might tighten up in those sorts of situations, i guess. i've always been of the opinion that when you have a supertard (or 3) at your table, you're better off taking some chances preflop against them so that you can get more than your share of their money postflop. obv increases variance, but it's been pretty successful for me in the past. is that incorrect?
Running bad is never the whole story though, sometimes you have to look a little deeper.....Had I played those hands just a little better and only lost half as much, my total loss for the month would be cut in half. The moral of the story? No matter how bad you think you're running or how good you think you're playing, there are always things you can improve upon....you can do to minimize your losses which in turn will maximize your profit. Kings have been especially bad for me in February. In January I made $1.49 per hand with KK. This month I'm making $0.32 per hand with the cowboys. There's really not much I can do about this. What I can do though is not get stacked with KT on a T high board against a 13/9 who suddenly shoves his whole stack in the middle...
QFTI have spent a lot of time looking through my old hands, and this could not be more true. In January I ran at +3.5PTBB/100 at 25 & 50NL. After sifting through my losing (and winning) hands, I realized that if I only cut down on half of the mistakes in the hands I played REALLY poorly in, I double my profits and am nearing +8BB/100. It is amazing how playing solid, consistent poker all the time can make a gigantic difference. In the past, if I played a hand poorly, I used to think "Oh well, you get to play so many hands online, I'll make it back here soon." Now I know how terrible it is to think that way and how important it is to play every hand as well as you can, and it is just as important not to make a bad play (if not more important) than it is to make a good play.
I've realized these things are pretty much the all important when I'm grinding $25NL and $50NL. There are so many spots where it's so much more important to minimize your losses on one hand where someone else might spew or blindly shove/call a hand that we are laying down because we take a second to think about it. I was reading Sklansky's TOP and when he was was talking about losing less on hands than most would and making more on hands others wouldn't it made perfect sense and applied perfectly to these statements. I've been running/playing poorly lately and I'm dissappointed in it but reading stuff likes this brings me back to a good spot where I can focus and feel good about playingGood hunting

One thing i found that helps me a lot when i've been on a bad run is to only play one or two tables at a time and really think through every decision in my mind carefuly, almost like the commentary on card runners.When you try and explain your decisions to yourself, it becomes easier to spot the situations where you really have no clue what the best line is.PokerStars Game #15500250216: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2008/02/23 - 17:20:07 (ET)Table 'Gormeisa III' 6-max Seat #4 is the buttonSeat 2: SSDAS ($10 in chips) Seat 4: Peesocake ($14.65 in chips) Peesocake: posts small blind $0.05SSDAS: posts big blind $0.10*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to SSDAS [Kc 8c]Peesocake: calls $0.05SSDAS: raises $0.30 to $0.40Peesocake: calls $0.30*** FLOP *** [7c 2c 2s]SSDAS: bets $0.60Peesocake: raises $1.60 to $2.20SSDAS: raises $7.40 to $9.60 and is all-inVillain is strange, i think he's been making a few moves on me as well as a few weird overbets that haven't reached showdown, but it's hard to tell.This is pretty standard right?

i think so, yes. but i'm not a nl donkey :club:
Ah seeing as you're here, i have a question.Could you post some basic starting handlines/general advice for stud hi/low?I was playing in a HORSE tourney last night and i was completely clueless whenever we got to E, is something like AJ2 a playable hand to a raise? I really can't get to grips with starting hands in a hi-low split game when you only have three cards to start with but you're playing both ways.
Ah seeing as you're here, i have a question.Could you post some basic starting handlines/general advice for stud hi/low?I was playing in a HORSE tourney last night and i was completely clueless whenever we got to E, is something like AJ2 a playable hand to a raise? I really can't get to grips with starting hands in a hi-low split game when you only have three cards to start with but you're playing both ways.
What doorcard raised? Also, what suits do you have? Monosuited (ie 3 clubs), rainbow, or two suits?Something Jamie said a while ago (I believe on the Stud forum, not sure) about playing Stud 8:Play low hands and luckbox highs.
as you're learning the game, some starting hand guidelines (you can open up in some spots as you get better post-third feel, but as you're learning, it's mostly a bad idea):only play 3 to a 7 low, raising if your cards make a str8/flush or you have an ace. you can play 3 to an 8 the same way IF you're almost positive that no one is starting with a 7 low draw.you can also play KK or AA on 3rd IF you're about 80%+ positive that you'll be able to get isolation by fourth street with only one low draw. KK is also mostly unplayable if someone involved in front or someone behind has an ace door.yea, i know this is extremely tight, but the key to split pot games as you're learning is nitting it the **** up preflop/on third while you're getting a good feel for the marginal spots that arise on later streets. when you feel like you're getting a good idea of how/when to isolate post-third, post a few hands here or in the stud strat forum and i can say more about how you can open up and why.gl :club:.
Something Jamie said a while ago (I believe on the Stud forum, not sure) about playing Stud 8:Play low hands and luckbox highs.
this is about how i'd usually put it, yeah :)edit: i don't normally recommend book-learnin', but the stud for advanced players book by ray zee, et al is REALLY good, like better for stud8 than any book for any other game, imo.
What doorcard raised? Also, what suits do you have? Monosuited (ie 3 clubs), rainbow, or two suits?Something Jamie said a while ago (I believe on the Stud forum, not sure) about playing Stud 8:Play low hands and luckbox highs.
Dude don't be silly, who pays attention to the acctualy game when there's FCP to post on? :club:
as you're learning the game, some starting hand guidelines (you can open up in some spots as you get better post-third feel, but as you're learning, it's mostly a bad idea):only play 3 to a 7 low, raising if your cards make a str8/flush or you have an ace. you can play 3 to an 8 the same way IF you're almost positive that no one is starting with a 7 low draw.you can also play KK or AA on 3rd IF you're about 80%+ positive that you'll be able to get isolation by fourth street with only one low draw. KK is also mostly unplayable if someone involved in front or someone behind has an ace door.yea, i know this is extremely tight, but the key to split pot games as you're learning is nitting it the **** up preflop/on third while you're getting a good feel for the marginal spots that arise on later streets. when you feel like you're getting a good idea of how/when to isolate post-third, post a few hands here or in the stud strat forum and i can say more about how you can open up and why.gl :D.
Thanks for the advice, i'll try to make sure i don't bust before Stud8 so i can play some hands.Just checking, a 3-7 low mean like [3c Kc] 7c right?
Dude don't be silly, who pays attention to the acctualy game when there's FCP to post on? :PThanks for the advice, i'll try to make sure i don't bust before Stud8 so i can play some hands.Just checking, a 3-7 low mean like [3c Kc] 7c right?
i mean 3 to a 7 low, actually, but you can play 3 sooted with 2 to a low as well. and np, gl with real poker :)also, i just dismantled and LFTed a guy HU into dropping 100BB, more than half of which went into my account. w00t. session 1 for the day went quite well, methinks :club:.

looooool just tilted a euro donk huhe was literally 3betting me like 2/3 hands, and i think i called only two of his 3bets cuz i never really had anything that played good post flop. the one time i 4bet him he turbo shoved...it was awesome..so i keep stacking him tho playing postflop...our latest stack, i flat 34cc flop 966 one club i c/r 28 to 76, he calls w 93o, turn Jc i check, he checks (insta) riv Kc I bet 165 into $175ish he shoves i call 305$ more and am good loool.then this happens> Dealing Hole Cards(Qh 9c )> jhonn9 raised for $12> GUNNING4YOU called for $10> Dealing the Flop(4c 4h 9h )> GUNNING4YOU checked> jhonn9 bet for $28> GUNNING4YOU raised for $77jhonn9> u must be the most booring player i have played> jhonn9 went all-in for $350GUNNING4YOU> lol> GUNNING4YOU called for $301> Dealing the turn(7c )> Dealing the river(8h )> jhonn9 shows Two Pair, Fours over Threes (he had 33)(4c 4h 3d 3h 9h )> GUNNING4YOU shows Two Pair, Nines over Fours, with kicker card Queen(9c 9h 4c 4h Qh )> GUNNING4YOU wins $783 with Two Pair, Nines over Fours and kicker card Queenpwn'd imoand my stats were 48/37 against him for the 81 hands we played lol. love it when guys get tilted cuz u dont get into pf battles with them right off from the beginning of the match. unfortunately he insta left after the third buy-in.also, here is my new desktop : edited to show kinda better...not coming out right w/ two monitors tho oh welldesktop2.jpg this is view from my second monitor...helps w/ the positive thoughts :club:- Jordan