New Challenge (old Challenge)

I'm trying to think of a good spot to overbet for value, against a good thinking player, with a 2nd pair hand.Right now, this is what i'm thinking, but i'm really tired so bear with me.Lets say it's a 6m game $5/10. 1k deep, you're 26/20, bb is 24/19.Folds to hero CO/BTN and he opens 3x with AThh, bb flats with KTss.Flop QT3cc villain c/c $50.turn is 4s check thru,riv is 6s, (edit -- another good spot to do this, and probably even better, is if river is a Q counter argument to that is if villain is likely to c/r here as a bluff a small % of the time, or c/r trips here. What's more likely though, is the first time you do this, for villain to play more str8 forward against you than anything, although some sickos will see thru this and bluff/raise you, but i'd imagine that would be with more history)villain checks, there is $170 in the pot...now here is a spot that could be a good spot to overbet for value, and work on balancing your overbet range against a regular who you know is a thinking player and you'll be plaiyng with daily.Hero bets $230-$300.First time we do this, villain will def. be confused. He'll probably go back to the "nuts/air" line and call...and hopefully be surprised by AT. We aren't repping much with our overbet, so you can be sure KT type hands will call here.If we have JT though, and everyhting else is the same (meaning pf/f/ and turn action) I do not think I'd overbet 2nd pair for value, mainly cause we are looking to get called by a worse 2nd pair, and the only conceivable 2nd pair we beat that calls is T9 when we hold JT.I guess that's putting a lot of thought into it, but I think that's a valid way to looking at overbetting and how to balance your range against someone that you want your overbet freq. to be balanced against.Anyways, just some food for thoughts.- Jordan

• Replies 61.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoSup4U

• RDog

• bull62

• Jordan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody like you, so you get lost.

Posted Images

Done for the month and then some. Stopping while I am still up ~1k for the month (even tho i was up waaaay more a week ago). F poker. A total assclown (the same guy from my AA<86o AIPF bad beat post earlier) just raped and pillaged me after getting run over by the deck, hitting every freaking river no matter what in the hell he had. qargQArfgqaergqahargqargazrgqaergqa

Hey Jordan, I was having a ridiculous session so I thought I'd try the over bet, villain 27-2-2. You likey?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($96.50)SB ($99)BB ($421.75)UTG ($179.45)Hero (MP) ($395)Preflop: Hero is MP with :4h, :4cUTG calls $1, Hero raises to $5, 3 folds, UTG calls $4Flop: ($11.50) :D, :club:, :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $8, UTG calls $8Turn: ($27.50) :ts(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $38, 1 foldTotal pot: $27.50 | Rake: $1.20Results in white below: Hero didn't showOutcome: Hero won $26.30

I swore I lost a lot mroe money Friday, maybe it was cuz I was so card dead and not winning.Here are Friday and Saturday graphsFriday:friday.pngSaturdaysaturday.pngAnd I made enough to play the turbo takedown tomorrow, so def gonna hit that up.

unfortunately this hand took place on cake, and their hh's look like puzzles, so i figure it is just easier to type it out..25/.50nlhero $100bb $50hero is mp+2 with j8severyone folds, hero calls, everyone folds, bb checks$1.20 in potflop is q94 rainbow.bb checks, hero checks.turn abb checks, hero bets $0.60, bb callspot is $2.35river is 10xbb checks, hero bets $2.25, bb raises to $4.50, hero???i have no reads, this is bb's first hand. what is our best line to take? at this level, min c/r is usually a decent amount of strength.

unfortunately this hand took place on cake, and their hh's look like puzzles, so i figure it is just easier to type it out..25/.50nlhero $100bb $50hero is mp+2 with j8severyone folds, hero calls, everyone folds, bb checks$1.20 in potflop is q94 rainbow.bb checks, hero checks.turn abb checks, hero bets $0.60, bb callspot is $2.35river is 10xbb checks, hero bets $2.25, bb raises to $4.50, hero???i have no reads, this is bb's first hand. what is our best line to take? at this level, min c/r is usually a decent amount of strength.
Why open limp? i would call not only because you probably have the best hand but also for information. Does he risk KJ getting checked through on river just so he can min c/rHe min re raises with what hands?He lets you see a flop when he has KJ in bb?He calls with only a gut shot on turn? Even if he does have the nuts for some stupid reason the fact he calls gut shot draws is worth more then the $2.25
Hey Jordan, I was having a ridiculous session so I thought I'd try the over bet, villain 27-2-2. You likey?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($96.50)SB ($99)BB ($421.75)UTG ($179.45)Hero (MP) ($395)Preflop: Hero is MP with :4h, :4cUTG calls $1, Hero raises to $5, 3 folds, UTG calls $4Flop: ($11.50) :D, :club:, :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $8, UTG calls $8Turn: ($27.50) :ts(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $38, 1 foldTotal pot: $27.50 | Rake: $1.20Results in white below: Hero didn't showOutcome: Hero won $26.30
haha, it worked didn't it?i think that's a more risky turn to overbet, but it depends on how you think your opponent will interpret it, or what he actually is holding.some guys with any ace won't think you'd overbet a ten cause you want action, so they'll prob call you and hope you give up on river...so if they do call and you decide to bet river, it beocmes more expensive...but then others may just fold the ace, if they have it, cause they don't want to face a big river bet...or he coulda folded a variety of gutshots, fds, 3rd pair, etc etc.- Jordan
I'd rather bet the turn normal and overbet the river. You build the pot for your bluff and get an extra street of "value." Not to mention, if he check/calls twice and checks river, it's extremely unlikely he has the T, whereas you are just hoping he doesn't show up with one here.

some overbets I used. Mikey and I played hu...he wanted to cause I guess he's getting into it, so I was able to use the overbet a lil' more cause I know he's a good thinking player.I did this hand right at as the other hand finished, in which I was overbet bluffingFull Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterSB: $64.35Hero (BB): $55.25Pre-Flop: :D:5c dealt to Hero (BB)SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $5, SB calls $3.50Flop: ($10) :D:ts:D (2 Players)Hero bets $5.50, SB calls $5.50Turn: ($21) :qh (2 Players)Hero checks, SB checksRiver: ($21) :3h (2 Players)Hero bets $44.75 and is All-In, SB calls $44.75Results: $110.50 Pot ($0.50 Rake)SB mucked :club::qh (three of a kind, Tens) and LOST (-$55.25 NET)Hero showed :4h:D (a full house, Fours full of Tens) and WON $110 (+$54.75 NET)edit -- the other better play here may be to crai, but at this point in the match, he hadn't seen one of my overbets and this was in sequence with the next hand posted, so I didn't want to let him check behind a medium pp, although when I did it, I thought it was likely he had ten he was slowplaying and a shove would look very bluffy (in case he didn't have a ten, yet made a hero call with whatever else was in his calling range)

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterHero (BB): $53.80SB: $107.80Pre-Flop: :4h:3h dealt to Hero (BB)SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1Flop: ($3) :ts:D :D (2 Players)Hero bets $1.50, SB calls $1.50Turn: ($6) :club: (2 Players)Hero bets $3.50, SB calls $3.50River: ($13) :D (2 Players)Hero bets $20, SB foldsResults: $13 Pot ($0.50 Rake)Hero mucked :5c:D and WON $12.50 (+$6 NET)so I'd been leading into him a fair amount and he hadn't been playing back at me much, but I figured when he did, he'd raise flop and not call down with a strong hand, so once he just called turn I was pretty sure he had something like a weak one pair hand and was calling cause it's unlikely, in his mind, I'm leading strong. I really like the river to overbet, cause it's generally a bad card to overbet yet I still do it, on a pretty scary board. I'd def. lead flop/turn with fd's and any 7, so it's a really strong line I took and he folded...but he later told me he actually double floated me and was going to bet river if I checked it.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterSB: $53.85Hero (BB): $168.95Pre-Flop: :D:ts dealt to Hero (BB)SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1Flop: ($3) :club::3h:D (2 Players)Hero checks, SB bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50Turn: ($8) :D (2 Players)Hero bets $11, SB calls $11River: ($30) :5c (2 Players)Hero bets $153.95 and is All-In, SB foldsResults: $30 Pot ($0.50 Rake)Hero mucked :4h:D and WON $29.50 (+$14.50 NET)I thought this was a good turn to overbet against mikey given the game flow at this point. I'm not repping much, and I can hopefully get him to call a shove if I overbet turn/shove river. Didn't work out, but I was actually kinda thinking about checking river given gameflow, but decided if he had a ten he was going to stack it...didn't work out tho.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 PlayersLeggoPoker.com - Hand History ConverterHero (SB): $51.85BB: $157.35Pre-Flop: :ts:3h dealt to Hero (SB)Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1Flop: ($3) :D :D :5c (2 Players)BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB calls $2Turn: ($7) :4h (2 Players)BB checks, Hero checksRiver: ($7) :club: (2 Players)BB checks, Hero bets $15, BB foldsResults: $7 Pot ($0.35 Rake)Hero mucked :D :D and WON $6.65 (+$3.15 NET)this one was later in the match, and at this point I think he feels my river bet range is more balanced than anything, but I'm specifically trying to rep the T to get him off a small pp, or a better ace high, although that's specifically AJ (and unlikely he had that) or get him off a chop with an ace.Anyways, those are some overbets I did that I thought were decently balanced against mikey...sometimes they work, sometimes not...but if you get more comfy with it, I think it's advantageous to have in your arsenal.- Jordan

haha, it worked didn't it?i think that's a more risky turn to overbet, but it depends on how you think your opponent will interpret it, or what he actually is holding.some guys with any ace won't think you'd overbet a ten cause you want action, so they'll prob call you and hope you give up on river...so if they do call and you decide to bet river, it beocmes more expensive...but then others may just fold the ace, if they have it, cause they don't want to face a big river bet...or he coulda folded a variety of gutshots, fds, 3rd pair, etc etc.- Jordan
For sure, do you prefer making these sorta turn bets on drawy boards or dry boards? Cuz when I made this bet I was like, theres no way he can call with an ace in this spot, and then it was, theres a lot of draws he can't call with. I was definitely done if he called. In response to snam, I figured it'd be harder to double barrel this kinda board, he's loose passive and couldn't really put him on a range. I mean he should be folding FDs, but if a draw hits I might've wussed out. so I decided to make my big bet here.

got this desk, with side extension (not the big thing, just a lil extra space).http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/inde...kType=EverGreenand this sofa and seathttp://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/inde...kType=EverGreenonly bad thing is i kinda feel like that guy in fight club...hopefully my house doesn't blow up tho, lolz. this stuff should last for a while, and i should be able to write a decent % of it off, so i don't feel to dirty about it. lollar

Your thoughts on over betting was extremely insightful information. I've never seen an example of over betting in that much depth with multiple applications. Solid couple posts Jordan.

Two hands in a row (almost). Thoughts on how #1 affects my decision on #2? Villian is 48/6/.15 over only 17 hands, all three handed (I think).Absolute PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.503 playersConverterStack sizes:Button: $77.70SB: $30.31Hero: $129.41Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with :qh:DButton raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $3, Button calls.Flop: :club::5c:D ($6.25, 3 players)Button bets $5, Hero calls.Turn: :4h ($16.25, 3 players)Button bets $10, Hero calls.River: :3h ($36.25, 3 players)Button bets $13.5, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $63.25Button Shows Kh 7hAbsolute PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.503 playersConverterStack sizes:Hero: $96.41SB: $109.80BB: $50Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with :D:tsHero raises to $1.75, SB calls, BB calls.Flop: :D :D :qh ($5.25, 3 players)SB bets $5, BB folds, Hero raises to $13.25, SB raises to $26.5, Hero ???

Two hands in a row (almost). Thoughts on how #1 affects my decision on #2? Villian is 48/6/.15 over only 17 hands, all three handed (I think).Absolute PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.503 playersConverterStack sizes:Button: $77.70SB: $30.31Hero: $129.41Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with :qh:DButton raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $3, Button calls.Flop: :club::5c:D ($6.25, 3 players)Button bets $5, Hero calls.Turn: :4h ($16.25, 3 players)Button bets $10, Hero calls.River: :3h ($36.25, 3 players)Button bets $13.5, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $63.25Button Shows Kh 7hAbsolute PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.503 playersConverterStack sizes:Hero: $96.41SB: $109.80BB: $50Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with :D:tsHero raises to $1.75, SB calls, BB calls.Flop: :D :D :qh ($5.25, 3 players)SB bets $5, BB folds, Hero raises to $13.25, SB raises to $26.5, Hero ???
Raise river on first one. He never has a flush there imoId fold the second one....Too much action there for 1 pair to be good against a donk
Raise river on first one. He never has a flush there imoId fold the second one....Too much action there for 1 pair to be good against a donk
really? What can he call with that you beat?I agree with folding the second one