New Challenge (old Challenge)

So, if I'm reading this right, you're playing $.10/$.25 NL HU. You have 200BBs. He opens to 16BBs and you just ship 200BBs on him?The obvious question would be: Why? I know the obvious answer is apparently that he'll call with 9 high, but I still don't really like shipping a hand like ATs here because running hot and cold for 200BBs AIPF, it's not great. Why not just 3 bet him and play poker?
For the record this is the one concept that Matt taught me during coaching that I believe turned me from a breakeven player to a winning one. I'd always do stuff like this, or open to 6 or 7 times the BB when we were deep because I was in position and they always called, start double barreling shitty cards since I knew they couldn't have a hand every time, etc...and it would sometimes equal 6 or 7 buyin loss sessions when he wasn't there to reel me in. There were more than a few times when I'd find myself like 300 to 400 bb's deep and he'd Skype me, reel me in, and by just playing solid post-flop poker I would have it all back eventually without the "hot and cold" as he accurately described it here.That's not saying you're not a winning player or anything because I don't know, but it can be a huge leak because you are playing a high variance game when your edges could be much, much bigger post flop.
  • Replies 61.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoSup4U

• RDog

• bull62

• Jordan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody like you, so you get lost.

Posted Images

So, if I'm reading this right, you're playing $.10/$.25 NL HU. You have 200BBs. He opens to 16BBs and you just ship 200BBs on him?The obvious question would be: Why? I know the obvious answer is apparently that he'll call with 9 high, but I still don't really like shipping a hand like ATs here because running hot and cold for 200BBs AIPF, it's not great. Why not just 3 bet him and play poker?
If his opponent is calling with ATC, which appears to be the case, I'm definitely gonna ship here.
we were debating what to do here and ub is lol and doesn't have much of a time bank...so i was like u can do w/e you want but the guy was not folding to any sort of 3bet at this point in the match so we just were like lol all in.i mean, matt it was really ridic. the guy was 3betting 40% and most of the time it was a 3bet shove for 200bb, so assuming he doing that very light we ust assumed he'd call really light for 200bb, as opposed to us 3betting to like 15, him calling us with his entire range and us being lol on the flop. granted, im not afraid to play 3bet pots obviously, we still thought shoving would be funny, and although i think balancing is slightly more relevant here (IE we're never doing this with total air) this guy was ust horrid bad and prob didn't care...and that was confirmed when he stacked 9 hi.
If his opponent is calling with ATC, which appears to be the case, I'm definitely gonna ship here.
I don't doubt that shipping is +EV, so it can't really be considered bad, I just don't think it's optimal. Despite this being my least favorite phrase of all time, I think you can wait for better spots against these types of players (and ONLY these types of players).
we were debating what to do here and ub is lol and doesn't have much of a time bank...so i was like u can do w/e you want but the guy was not folding to any sort of 3bet at this point in the match so we just were like lol all in.i mean, matt it was really ridic. the guy was 3betting 40% and most of the time it was a 3bet shove for 200bb, so assuming he doing that very light we ust assumed he'd call really light for 200bb, as opposed to us 3betting to like 15, him calling us with his entire range and us being lol on the flop. granted, im not afraid to play 3bet pots obviously, we still thought shoving would be funny, and although i think balancing is slightly more relevant here (IE we're never doing this with total air) this guy was ust horrid bad and prob didn't care...and that was confirmed when he stacked 9 hi.
Jordan,This is a good explanation. I played a guy who had a 3 bet of 90% after 50 hands, but trailed off to only 46% after the 200ish hands we got in. He also wasn't folding to 4 bets.I guess that being a little shallower would make me happier to shove ATo for this amount, but if he really is calling any 2 for any amount, then I think it's a pretty cool and obviously an LOL move to pull.As for balancing, when people are this bad, I just make a pair of assumptions:1. They probably aren't good enough to realize that I can't balance my range here2. It probably takes them a minimum of 2 stackoffs to realize this, and by then, we can and will have made adjustments if necessary
For the record this is the one concept that Matt taught me during coaching that I believe turned me from a breakeven player to a winning one. I'd always do stuff like this, or open to 6 or 7 times the BB when we were deep because I was in position and they always called, start double barreling shitty cards since I knew they couldn't have a hand every time, etc...and it would sometimes equal 6 or 7 buyin loss sessions when he wasn't there to reel me in. There were more than a few times when I'd find myself like 300 to 400 bb's deep and he'd Skype me, reel me in, and by just playing solid post-flop poker I would have it all back eventually without the "hot and cold" as he accurately described it here.That's not saying you're not a winning player or anything because I don't know, but it can be a huge leak because you are playing a high variance game when your edges could be much, much bigger post flop.
guys, he was 3betting 40% of the time over a large sample of hands, like at least 80 at this point. and that's a 'large' sample if you're 3betting 40% of the time. Not everytime he shipped 200bb, but his 3bets were almost always tardo sized.and as for opening to more bb against those types...i think it's relevant and i do it myself if it's the right opponent. if you have a guy who is flatting like 30-50% of his hands, you can start opening for more bb and own the shit outta them. however it often requires more than just two barrels, and that's something that you have to be aware of when you're trying to bluff someone that hates folding bottom pair on flop/turn. edit -- your opponent also needs to be pretty deep here like u were saying originallySpero (speed kills) was playing fine post flop, this was just kinda one of those spots where we were like lol lets see if he calls 200bb himself and boom he did ship it.well, not ship it in this case, but whatever. If we 3ball pre we cbet flop he calls and we prob just quit on the hand. If we 3all pre we cbet the flop and we win. Whatever. I really don't think it was as big of a deal as you guys are making it, given it was a really special circumstance and prob won't happen again for many more hands.
I don't doubt that shipping is +EV, so it can't really be considered bad, I just don't think it's optimal. Despite this being my least favorite phrase of all time, I think you can wait for better spots against these types of players (and ONLY these types of players).
Honestly, if the guy's incompetent enough to call off 200BBs with 89s, then I really don't hate a shove here. The next time I do it, I'd want at least like 88+, AQ+ probably just to make sure that his minor adjustment of waiting for a "quality" hand is still crushed by our newly adjusted range.
i mean, considering our calling range of 200bb had widened a lot at this point, i dont think waiting for better than AT is neccesary. It's a bit of personal preference, obviously, but i mean, how often aare you really gonna be in this spot where you are thinking about shipping 200bb? not often...but when you are, you sholdn't be a total nit if the guy is going to be calling you really light. I think AT+ 77/88+ and prob KJ+ are hands I'd consider reshipping on a guy if I'm assuming he is going to be calling pretty damn light himself for 2 buy-ins.but again, nothing you have to deal with regularly...and is a bit of personal preference in regards to your br, etc etc

and im also pretty sure that at 25nl against a guy who was clearly not concerned about the money kinda makes shipping more relevant here, but im pretty tired of talking about the hand. it was more situational than anything obviously...

eh, kinda have to post this. sorry for unconverted. matt and i are pretty sure it's impossible to get this much money in so good in omaha ever. i have the nut straight, nut flush draw, and one of their full house outs gives me a royal. i have 70.08% equity 4 ways, including against someone drawing dead. edited for cleanlinessDealt to anakedcowboy [ Ah Jh Jc 4d ]vho7***: callsMati***: callssand***: callsBara***: callsants***: raises to $1anakedcowboy: raises to $5vho7***: callsMati***: callsBara***: raises to $9ants***: callsanakedcowboy: callsvho7***: callsMati***: calls@@@ F_L_O_P @@@ [ Qh Th Kc ]anakedcowboy: checksvho7***: checksMati***: bets $46Bara***: is all in 31.2500ants***: is all in 39.0500anakedcowboy: is all in 52.6000vho7***: foldsMati***: callsMati***: shows 3d Qd 8s Qs (22%)Bara***: shows 6s 9c 7c As (0% WTF?)ants***: shows Ts 5s Tc 2c (8%)anakedcowboy: shows Ah Jh Jc 4d# # # TURN # # # [ 8c ]&&& RIVER &&& [ Td ]

Okay so got 3 different 6 packs of magic hat ( IPA, Pale Ale, and the Winter ale) and drank them while watching the Celtics destroy the Sixers. Around 10:45 we left for sonic.. took about 40 minutes to get there. There were 3 of us and our order came to $45.25. We decided to CC roulette it so we put our names down on paper and put them in my hat and when Chantel brought our food out I handed my hat to her and asked her to pull out a piece of paper. She looked both very scared and confused at the same time but after about a minute of coaxing she finally pulled out my friend Raj's name so ship the free meal. I got:Bacon Cheeseburger ToasterMozzarella SticksCheddar PeppersChili Cheese TotsLarge Sprite I wanted to finish it off with the caramel cheesecake bites and a butterfinger Sonic blast but unfortunately they were out of the cheesecake bites so I had to settle for just the Sonic blast. Overall a great meal. The Tampa Bay Bucs are clearly superior to the New Orleans Saints

Okay so got 3 different 6 packs of magic hat ( IPA, Pale Ale, and the Winter ale) and drank them while watching the Celtics destroy the Sixers. Around 10:45 we left for sonic.. took about 40 minutes to get there. There were 3 of us and our order came to $45.25. We decided to CC roulette it so we put our names down on paper and put them in my hat and when Chantel brought our food out I handed my hat to her and asked her to pull out a piece of paper. She looked both very scared and confused at the same time but after about a minute of coaxing she finally pulled out my friend Raj's name so ship the free meal. I got:Bacon Cheeseburger ToasterMozzarella SticksCheddar PeppersChili Cheese TotsLarge Sprite I wanted to finish it off with the caramel cheesecake bites and a butterfinger Sonic blast but unfortunately they were out of the cheesecake bites so I had to settle for just the Sonic blast. Overall a great meal. The Tampa Bay Bucs are clearly superior to the New Orleans Saints
you got a freaking sprite instead of cherry ocean water? what epic fail for such a long trip
sick heart attack:-p
you got a freaking sprite instead of cherry ocean water? what epic fail for such a long trip
idk what a cherry ocean water is, but not ordering a cherry limeade is disturbing to me.
I have to ask which of the 3 magic hats do you prefer? the IPA (lucky kat), pale ale ( #9) or the winter ale (Roxy Rolles)? One of my favorite breweries for sure!

After I get three bet on the flop, is this a good spot to flat oop and let him put the rest in on a later street?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP ($105.15)Button ($122.75)SB ($99)Hero (BB) ($112.50)UTG ($168.15)Preflop: Hero is BB with 8diamond.gif, 8heart.gif2 folds, Button raises to $3.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.50Flop: ($7.50) 4heart.gif, 5spade.gif, 8club.gif(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets $5.50, Hero raises to $12.50, Button raises to $32, Hero raises to $109 (All-In), 1 foldTotal pot: $71.50 | Rake: $3