$500 buy-in final table..... what would you do?

I've been told that i suck at NLHE..or wait, maybe it was that I'm a suckout at NLHE. Either way, the consensus is that I suck in some way. "stick to LHE you river rat" Anyways, I digress. I suck, but i'd still call it. It would only cost me a small chunk of my stack to end the tourney right there and take home $10Gr. Red Aces short-handed. It don't get much better than that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what i mean is that if you fold and get heads-up, the tournament will go on for some time. this means the blinds will rise, and more luck will be introduced. this means your winning chances, even with a 2-to-1 chiplead, decrease. if you call and win, you win the tournament right there without worrying about rising blinds.
Awesome post as usual aseem, same math except we used some different assumptions on opponent's hands/AA win %. Woulda saved me a lot of typing if I had read beyond OP before throwing my couple of pennies in.But I think this tidbit is wrong. As blinds elevate, from what I've known, what erodes is the skill adjustment, say when chips are even the better player is a 1.2-1 favorite or something of the sort. However, raw chip counts always matter.As luck increases as the blinds escalate, win percentages converge to the chip stacks; if you're the worst player in the world but hold a 2-1 or otherwise significant chip edge, the blinds cannot go up fast enough for you.

Ok. Earlier in the tournament I been dealt pocket A's 3 different times. Each of those times I got them cracked. This played in to my decision which everyone here will disagree with. I am either a bunghole or merlin the mind reader.After a considerable amount of time (which felt like hours), I finally decided to throw away my pocket A's. YES I THREW THEM AWAY!If I called and got cracked I would be in a dead heat with my opponent. If I folded, I would have a 2-1 advantage and have a shot at winning the 10K. As one guy said, I am in it to win it. I wanted to gaurantee myself a legitimate shot at taking top prize. In poker, not every decision you make will be a popular one. Hell, many of you guys probably made some of the worst move imaginable. Like calling a large bet on a one card river draw that you do not end up hitting. Or going all in with a very marginal hand that you knew you shouldn't have done so. Should I have called? Absolutely. It is the right move. Did I do it? Nope. And I am glad I didn't.Dealer shows AK of spades. SB shows pocket Q's. Flop comes out Q,2,Q. Turn and river didn't even matter at that point. SB wins the pot and knocks out the 3rd place finisher. I go on to eliminate the SB a half hour later and win the 10K.

I would fold here in a heartbeat. Lets look at the hand. Feel free to correct my math, as i'm quickly throwing it out.obviously the first guy has at least a pair of aces (possibly suited), or why else would he go all in pre-flop?Since it is so obvious that the first person to go all in must have aces, the other all-in guy must have 3 aces in the hole...Including your 2 aces, that leaves only one ace in the deck (8-(2+3+2))=1Best/worse case scenario is that you hit your trips, making quads for the guy with 3A's, in which case you'd need to make runner runner straight flush. Which will only happen about half the time.(42*1/4)-(31*1/3) =1/2 the timeJust let it go. You only have TWO aces.... ffishh/didnt sleep much last night

Hey, I've had bad beats playing at the end of a tournament with AA. Last time it happened to me was just a $100+$9 SNG on PP. We got to heads up with me having rougly a 1.75:1 chip lead. I get AA on the SB and having a good read on my man double the BB. Sure enough he reraises all in. I call and he flips over T8o. At this point I'm starting to count my winnings when I notice the flop come T8x. Neither the turn nor river hold an A (or any other outs) and I'm playing from a big disadvantage. Finally I get desperate enough (with about 20% of the chips in play and the next hand putting me 50% in anyway) that I push all in with 66 from the SB. The bugger calls me with A5o and catches an A on the turn.Do I regret playing the AA? Not a chance, I had an overwhelming chance to win the tourney right there and got sucked out on. Like the say, "Never judge your play by the cards that fall after it." Playing AA in that situation is always the right move, regardless of any bad beat story you can give. Then again, if the other two each had KK and a K hit, allowing them to split the pot...

As one guy said, I am in it to win it. I wanted to gaurantee myself a legitimate shot at taking top prize. this is the most legitimate shot you will ever get at winning a tournament. Hell, many of you guys probably made some of the worst move imaginable.sorry, but folding aces here is probably the worst move imaginable.

Congrats on winning the tournament anyway. It worked out for you in the end.FYI, here's the EV math based on the hands they had:http://twodimes.net/h/?z=872167Ad Ah 970643 70.81 385511 28.12 14600 1.07 0.713As Ks 137229 10.01 1218925 88.92 14600 1.07 0.105Qc Qd 248282 18.11 1117770 81.54 4702 0.34 0.182Given the 70.81 chance you had to win outright by calling, the EV of a call winds up being $9271 (.7081)($10,000) + (.2919)($7,500), while the EV of folding was $8,333 (calculated by others).Ultimately, you were in a situation where all the outcomes were in your favor.

No questions about it. It was the right move. But my gut told me different. Not all the times your going to make the right mathmatical move. This game is 50% skill and 50% luck. I wasn't feeling it. SO, I made the choice.Whether it was right or wrong, the outcome was I still ended up winning the tourney.And to the guy that claims that anyone playing a $500 buy in tourney shouldn't be making this question, it was just share my story. However terrible you may think the play was.

Congrats on the win, but 99% of us will still say you should have called. It worked out in the end for you...nice pay day.Would you fold them again in a similar spot?? Just wondering.How about this for debate: What if you were the shorter of the two small stacks by a few K, do you call then?? Or do you fold and hope for the large stack to win and guarentee 2nd place?? Just throwing out some other situations for debate.

Congrats on the win, but 99% of us will still say you should have called. It worked out in the end for you...nice pay day.Would you fold them again in a similar spot?? Just wondering.How about this for debate: What if you were the shorter of the two small stacks by a few K, do you call then?? Or do you fold and hope for the large stack to win and guarentee 2nd place?? Just throwing out some other situations for debate.
Obviously if im SS, I push it in. No hesitation. If it were against one player, absoultely I make the call. I would still have a nice advantage over the 2nd place player. I never said this was going to be a favorable decision. And not all the times your going to play "by the book". I went with my gut and I am happy I did.

ok heres my opinion. 3 handed at the end of a tournament i will put all my chips in without hesitation holding AA. every time. no exceptions. Actually, one exception:if its 3 handed in a satellite where top 2 get seats, 3rd gets nothing, all players are equal in chips to within 5% and both players are all in ahead of me, i fold AA.

This game is 50% skill and 50% luck.giggle
I'd say more 75/25 :club::D
Really. How do you feel when your AA get cracked? Is it skill at that point?No one controls the cards.
I was joking about the 75/25, but I would say it's not 50/50...I never said there was NO luck, I just don't think it's as much luck as some people think/claim it is.

Onto a new but related subject:obviously the first guy has at least a pair of aces (possibly suited), or why else would he go all in pre-flop?Since it is so obvious that the first person to go all in must have aces, the other all-in guy must have 3 aces in the hole...Including your 2 aces, that leaves only one ace in the deck(8-(2+3+2))=1I've re-read this post a bit and I don't get what you're saying here. Are there 6 Aces in your deck of cards? And suited Aces? Am I missing something here? Does your deck of cards consist of only 1 suit and all paint?I dont think its the math thats the problem, but the deck of cards that you're playing with.

there is no reasons that could possibly justify a fold here.

Onto a new but related subject:obviously the first guy has at least a pair of aces (possibly suited), or why else would he go all in pre-flop?Since it is so obvious that the first person to go all in must have aces, the other all-in guy must have 3 aces in the hole...Including your 2 aces, that leaves only one ace in the deck(8-(2+3+2))=1I've re-read this post a bit and I don't get what you're saying here. Are there 6 Aces in your deck of cards? And suited Aces? Am I missing something here? Does your deck of cards consist of only 1 suit and all paint?
It's quite clearly meant as a joke. But, in all sincerity, good job in not automatically starting to flame the poster. High five! :hand:

Wow there are a lot of these threads on here. For future reference to anyone who wants an answer to this:99.99% of FCP thinks you call an all in with pocket aces preflop.Yes - Even if it is the first hand of the WSOP.The only exception is if you are in a satellite with one more person needing to be eliminated to make the payout. If 2 people have gone all in then you may want to fold your AA.I think that covers it :club: