Passive Play With Pocket Aces

While we're bumping old threads, the villain in this hand is actually FoxwoodsFiend but I didn't know it at the time.
Do you still feel the same about how you played this old hand? I was reading through the old posts, and couldn't help but agree that you missed a chance to double up by not 4betting/getting it in pre, or at very worst on the flop if Villain flats the 4bet.
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're bumping old threads, the villain in this hand is actually FoxwoodsFiend but I didn't know it at the time.
haha damn, CR AI on river would have been sexy against him
lol i totally missed this thread 2 years ago..anyways, just read it now.Your play was meh at best.you've managed to create ok reasons as to why we should let him do the betting, but ultimately the disguised "tool" you used was merely passiveness due to playing way out of your financial league.you're at least 3 level up hereyou just didnt want to lose such a large chunk wit AA. so you c/c your way to showdown..I woulda done the same thing..to say its the best line tho is silly. we all know if u were playing 1-2NL or 2-5Nl you would be repoping pf or leading this flop. /end thread
Do you still feel the same about how you played this old hand? I was reading through the old posts, and couldn't help but agree that you missed a chance to double up by not 4betting/getting it in pre, or at very worst on the flop if Villain flats the 4bet.
The only thing I'll say to this is that the game was a lot different 3 years ago and I wasn't as good as I am now. My preflop play is questionable looking back at it. I think 4betting was perfectly fine if he's got KK, but if he's got QQ or AK or something, I really think he folds it since the game just wasn't as aggressive and an UTG raise followed by 4betting a 3bet was just so super strong and unlikely to get action from any hand other than KK with my table image.
lol i totally missed this thread 2 years ago..anyways, just read it now.Your play was meh at best.you've managed to create ok reasons as to why we should let him do the betting, but ultimately the disguised "tool" you used was merely passiveness due to playing way out of your financial league.you're at least 3 level up hereyou just didnt want to lose such a large chunk wit AA. so you c/c your way to showdown..I woulda done the same thing..to say its the best line tho is silly. we all know if u were playing 1-2NL or 2-5Nl you would be repoping pf or leading this flop. /end thread
If I was playing 1/2 or 2/5 NL today, I would repop it probably, but that's because I'm sure players are not nearly good enough to bluff 3bet that often and they're certainly not going to fold a hand they 3bet for value. Playing 25/50 is not the same and if I took myself from today and put me in that game, knowing the lack of aggressiveness of how the game was played 3 years ago but with my skill from today, I wouldn't 4bet him. I certainly wouldn't be leading the flop there since the board is so dry and it'd be pretty odd for him to be able to give me any bluffs in that spot, so I could get value from strictly KK, and AQ on the off chance that he'd 3bet an UTG raise with that hand. I would also get useless action from QQ and AA.I don't look back at this hand and think that it's bad at all. If I were playing 25/50 today with how the game has changed, I can guarantee you that I'd be looking for every way to get my chips into the middle preflop or postflop, but once I chose to flat the 3bet preflop (which I will maintain is the best play) then I think that playing it like I did postflop was fine and maybe even optimal since the only hand that I could even consider getting more value from was KK, which he happened to have and if he has AK or QQ, then I maximize value. I'm sure I was gunshy from playing so high and that might've backed me into playing the hand in this manner postflop, but analyzing it after the fact, it still seems to me that I ended up taking one of the best lines possible.I mean, 3 years ago people just didn't 3bet and 4bet light like they do today and if they did, I didn't see it or know much about it, especially since I never really played online. My only experience was live and when you were playing live 3 years ago, a 4bet is the nuts about 85x more than it's ever going to be a bluff.
haha damn, CR AI on river would have been sexy against him
This summer it would've been. Three years ago, I can all but guarantee that he'd fold.