Official Trade Deadline Thread

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone watching this Smyth press conference? He is crying more than Messier after being traded/signing with a team/retiring.
That's because the Islanders have a 'No Mullet' policy.serge

Just watched the Ryan Smyth news conference. What a sad day it is to lose such a class act. Edmonton is not a very desireable place to live in comparison to the other markets (don't get me wrong I love the city). It just seems so wrong to get rid of someone who clearly wanted to be part of the team and city for the long term. The Oiler fans are going to be expecting something to fill the void come July 1. The fans were hoping to not have to see their top players get traded away for prospects like the old NHL days. This really stings ...

Is anyone watching this Smyth press conference? He is crying more than Messier after being traded/signing with a team/retiring.
I don't get it. didn't they trade him 'cause he wouldn't resign with them? am I missing something here?
That is a good assesment and thanks for the insight...My belief is that there is absolutely no chance that he would sign with Edmonton....Its just bad business....Coming back to the Leafs...They offered Tucker fair market value and they will also do it with Sundin...Things like this spread and free agents might not be willing to go to Edmonton because of it.
Fair market value for Sundin is around $3-4 million less than he's making now...

For a long time I really was never impressed by Sundin, but this year, he has done so much to win me over.He always fights hard on the ice, he's always the leader on that team, and he scores clutch goals. That OT slapshot in Calgary earlier in the year really opened my eyes to how hard this guy works every night. He mucks it up along the boards as well as anyone not named Crosby, and is, IMO, easily worth whatever he is making (6 million?).

For a long time I really was never impressed by Sundin, but this year, he has done so much to win me over.He always fights hard on the ice, he's always the leader on that team, and he scores clutch goals. That OT slapshot in Calgary earlier in the year really opened my eyes to how hard this guy works every night. He mucks it up along the boards as well as anyone not named Crosby, and is, IMO, easily worth whatever he is making (6 million?).
I can't think of a bad year for Sundin. He's been a solid leader on the ice since the day he arrived in T.O.. Besides natural talent he's got plenty of heart and has shown that in both the NHL and international competition.Imagine what the Leafs could get for him if they decided to go for the full rebuild. There isn't a team out there who wouldn't love his services.
one of the most consistent and durable players in the league over his entire career.
one of the most consistent and durable players in the league over his entire career.
Yeah, and that's exactly what I'm noticing. And like, he's hitting these milestone goals out of nowhere it seems.I may or may not have been living in a cave the last 5 years.
Yeah, and that's exactly what I'm noticing. And like, he's hitting these milestone goals out of nowhere it seems.I may or may not have been living in a cave the last 5 years.
Also, as was mentioned before, he's very clutch. He either has the record, or is very close to having the most OT goals in league history.

I've always thought Sundin was a very good player and I actually liked him despite his being a Maple Leaf, but he became a whiner while playing under Pat Quinn.

good articlehttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...rke-diary_x.htmlolamentsSaturday, Feb. 17I talk to Florida assistant GM Randy Sexton about Todd Bertuzzi and he tells me "the guy we like is Perry." I offer him profanity. If you are offended by profanity, it's difficult to make a trade in the NHL. If you are going to try to rob me, at least wear a mask. We talk to Philadelphia about Kyle Calder.

It's hard not to appreciate the quiet excellence of Sundin. Not to mention the fact that the guy is absolutely the fastest healer in the NHL!

good articlehttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...rke-diary_x.htmlolamentsSaturday, Feb. 17I talk to Florida assistant GM Randy Sexton about Todd Bertuzzi and he tells me "the guy we like is Perry." I offer him profanity. If you are offended by profanity, it's difficult to make a trade in the NHL. If you are going to try to rob me, at least wear a mask. We talk to Philadelphia about Kyle Calder.
Awesome link...thanks.I love that stuff!
Also, as was mentioned before, he's very clutch. He either has the record, or is very close to having the most OT goals in league history.
i think he does have the record, just passing Steve Thomas for most OT goals.
i think he does have the record, just passing Steve Thomas for most OT goals.
Yeah, Sundin has 15, I believe, making him tops in the NHL. Joe Sakic is the leading playoff OT goal scorer with 7....

OMG...I don't know if anyone posted this already but apparently the difference in the 5-year contract between the Oilers and Smyth was only $500,000. and I do NOT mean per year...yeah, you heard right...we're talking $100k a year. I've heard of hardnosed bargaining but I guess both guys absolutely refused to budge. Sad...just sad.

OMG...I don't know if anyone posted this already but apparently the difference in the 5-year contract between the Oilers and Smyth was only $500,000. and I do NOT mean per year...yeah, you heard right...we're talking $100k a year. I've heard of hardnosed bargaining but I guess both guys absolutely refused to budge. Sad...just sad.
Yeah, I heard this too. If this is true there is no way Ryan will ever come back to Edmonton - unless he fires his agent.
Yeah, I heard this too. If this is true there is no way Ryan will ever come back to Edmonton - unless he fires his agent.
Its obvious he was pissed off they left it to the last minute while signing others earlier...By the way with all due respect to Ryan Smyth, he isnt a superstar..he is a very good player however he is not in the Sakic,Kariya and Sundin category....
Its obvious he was pissed off they left it to the last minute while signing others earlier...By the way with all due respect to Ryan Smyth, he isnt a superstar..he is a very good player however he is not in the Sakic,Kariya and Sundin category....
Smyth won't ever put up the numbers of the guys you mentioned but he adds a lot of intangibles to a team...especially in the playoffs.
Smyth won't ever put up the numbers of the guys you mentioned but he adds a lot of intangibles to a team...especially in the playoffs.
I agree with this but c'mon Kariya over Smyth? I think Kariya is way overrated. You can't just look at paper stats to get an appreciation of what Smyth brings. IMHO, of course I'm pretty biased.