The New V Blog Is Up

It occcurs to me that if DN had dressed up as an Oxford professsor and made fun of some friend of his who went on to be that, no one would say a word. So, if it is simply the blackness that made so many jump on the self-righteous wagon, I'd say the protestors are the actual purveyors of prejudice, by singling out this parody for criticism just because the character being parodied was black.
You are forgetting that the MAN can't get upset for being made fun of. The MAN is above that, so when people like Chappelle or Murphy etc. mock the MAN they are ignored.It's good to be the MAN
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daniel, I think your impression was very impressive. However, with all due respect, I am surprised that you don't seem to be appreciating why you generated the reaction you did with it. And since yo

?

Sensitivity Rehab, Group Therapy Day 1:oneflew2.jpg"We have a new member in our group today""Tell us your name and why you are here"daniel_negreanu3.jpg"My name is Daniel, and I put on makeup and did a skit about a Jamaican"richards.jpg"You put on blackface?"daniel_negreanu3.jpg"It wasn't blackface, but they took a poll and 20% of the white guys turned on me"_1287216_sharpton_150.jpg"White boys aren't nothin' but trouble"George%20Bush.jpg"I never listen to polls, If I listened to polls we'd lose the war""But I don't think of it as war, I call it winning hearts and minds"mel-gibson-beard.jpg"War?...War?...I'll tell you who started all the damn wars....it was the.."oneflew2.jpg"MEL!!!!"richards.jpg"You put on blackface, that makes you a ..."sharpton.jpg"Don't you say it, so help me, don't you say it"oneflew2.jpg"Do you always get things stirred up like this?"daniel_negreanu3.jpg"ummm.....Yes"

Sensitivity Rehab, Group Therapy Day 1:oneflew2.jpg"We have a new member in our group today""Tell us your name and why you are here"daniel_negreanu3.jpg"My name is Daniel, and I put on makeup and did a skit about a Jamaican"
Loving it :club:

People in the USA have overused the "I'm offended" card by such a wide margin, that it's beginning to fall on deaf ears.As it should.Personally I don't care if someone is offended by something as benign as what DN did. That's their problem, not DN's.So be "offended" some more. You're only watering down any justified offense for truly racist actions.

Um, well, I didn't think it was funny at all either. Actually when I first saw the character, I was a little offended. (I'm African-American)I've never considered myself sensitive as far as race goes. It takes a lot to offend me, but I don't know about this "skit".Okay, I like Negreanu, he's my favorite poker player, and I get it that it was just a "Skit", a joke, and he didn't really mean anything serious by it...but in his blog he wrote about having a "Black" audience screen it before hand...why the hell did he do that? Why did he feel the need to have it screened? That says to me that he knew it could be potentionaly offensive and he just wanted to try to cover his ***.This doesn't change how I feel about Negreanu. I still like the guy, but he knows better. I don't like hypocrisy and responding all innocent in his blog about how "he didn't know, or he didn't think it was a big deal" bothers me more than the content of the "skit".
The truth is, I had nothing to do with it being screened by a black audience prior to the release. It was done by the people editing the video.

I don't know how anyone could possibly complain after the sheer comedy gold that was Daniel's mother demanding that Dexter "roll that spliff". My sides are still aching.btw, that weed looked totally real. You got a pot habit there, Danny boy? :club:

What's the difference with this? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs08a4D0lgg
There is no difference. People just get offended more in this day in age than when that was made. Haven't you noticed that the civil courts are full of BS cases? We have become a nation of sensitive fruitloops. But that's the way it is. LOL
I thought Canadian actor Dan Akroyd was pretty funny in that bit. His makeup was similar to the makeup that I used, and while he's obviously a real comedian and actor, his Jamaican accent isn't very good.The real reason I'm posting this is that I've been reading on the forums that some found my video blog offensive and I wanted to know exactly what is so different about this skit and the skit that I did?Maybe you found both of them equally offensive? I don't really know, nor can I really understand why a relatively small group of people see my skit as blackface.OK, I'm officially done now, lol. I won't revisit the topic again, but I thought that adding this little clip would put things into perspective a little bit.
Daniel's accent was great.From what I understand, "blackface" is not being made up to look like someone who is black, but it's an unnatural caricature.Anyone who says that they are offended by Daniel either misunderstands his intent or is looking for attention/sympathy or is an idiot.
There is no difference. People just get offended more in this day in age than when that was made. Haven't you noticed that the civil courts are full of BS cases? We have become a nation of sensitive fruitloops. But that's the way it is. LOL
I think there might be some truth to what you say

Ironic, it's actually black history month, here in the States.More ironic, if a poll were conducted, the more outspoken posters who proclaim offensiveness are probably honkey, white-cracker liberals who have absolutely no friends of color anyway, so the point is moot.What Negreanu did is not blackface, in the strictest sense. He is pretty dead on with his impersonation of a Jamaican, spliff-puffing professional poker player. In a broader sense, one's definition of blackface as racism might include any act of impersonation involving the use of black face paint. I'm inclined to believe that this definition is too broad, and should include narrower, more restrictive elements. Jamaican Tour guide:

What's the difference with this? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs08a4D0lgg
He's not an actor in a movie portraying a role that involves a movie plot? Why can't people be happy with their god given gifts? Athletes want to be singers, singers want to be athletes, and now a great poker player wants to be a political pundit, comedian, environmentalist, poker commentator, etc, etc, etc. When does it end? The skit wasn't funny. Plain and simple. Jesus some of you people would type lol and +1 to DN Sh*tting in a bag. The whole thing was just plain stupid and obviously lacked forethought. And heres DN once again with his "who me" reaction when people let him know how silly some stuff he does is. Play some poker man! Help us novices and amateurs to learn and improve. Get off the damn soapbox with your constant feuds, be it with Joe Rogan, Phil Gordon, Greg Raymer, Annie Duke, the NFLPA, Food Preparers, Tournament Structurers, etc, etc, etc, etc.
He's not an actor in a movie portraying a role that involves a movie plot? Why can't people be happy with their god given gifts? Athletes want to be singers, singers want to be athletes, and now a great poker player wants to be a political pundit, comedian, environmentalist, poker commentator, etc, etc, etc.
Accountants are gardening, shoe makers are playing chess the world is going mad!!!!!Do you play poker professionally? If not what business do you have playing the game/talking about it? Is it a HOBBY of yours?Although I think I could understand why you don't get someone trying to do something funny for his readers.Oh diss.
He's not an actor in a movie portraying a role that involves a movie plot? Why can't people be happy with their god given gifts? Athletes want to be singers, singers want to be athletes, and now a great poker player wants to be a political pundit, comedian, environmentalist, poker commentator, etc, etc, etc. When does it end? The skit wasn't funny. Plain and simple. Jesus some of you people would type lol and +1 to DN Sh*tting in a bag. The whole thing was just plain stupid and obviously lacked forethought. And heres DN once again with his "who me" reaction when people let him know how silly some stuff he does is. Play some poker man! Help us novices and amateurs to learn and improve. Get off the damn soapbox with your constant feuds, be it with Joe Rogan, Phil Gordon, Greg Raymer, Annie Duke, the NFLPA, Food Preparers, Tournament Structurers, etc, etc, etc, etc.
So, because a random dude on the internet thinks all I should do is just play poker because he didn't like the skit... what am I supposed to do with that? You didn't think it was funny. I promise you, lots of other people did. No, that doesn't mean they are stupid or fanboys, but that they just have a different sense of humor from yours. I'm pretty lucky in life to be able to try new things if I fee like it. This offend you too? I like doing the jamaican accent, it's funny to me. I don't expect you to think it's funny, and frankly, it doesn't matter much to me either way. If even five people think it's funny, then there is a place for it whether you agree or not. How about this: YOU need to stop telling other people who you don't even know what they need to do. Last I checked, you weren't my boss.
So, because a random dude on the internet thinks all I should do is just play poker because he didn't like the skit... what am I supposed to do with that? You didn't think it was funny. I promise you, lots of other people did. No, that doesn't mean they are stupid or fanboys, but that they just have a different sense of humor from yours. I'm pretty lucky in life to be able to try new things if I fee like it. This offend you too? I like doing the jamaican accent, it's funny to me. I don't expect you to think it's funny, and frankly, it doesn't matter much to me either way. If even five people think it's funny, then there is a place for it whether you agree or not. How about this: YOU need to stop telling other people who you don't even know what they need to do. Last I checked, you weren't my boss.
Yeah! What Daniel said! andrew-tongue.jpg
'm pretty lucky in life to be able to try new things if I fee like it. This offend you too? I like doing the jamaican accent, it's funny to me. I don't expect you to think it's funny, and frankly, it doesn't matter much to me either way. If even five people think it's funny, then there is a place for it whether you agree or not. How about this: YOU need to stop telling other people who you don't even know what they need to do. Last I checked, you weren't my boss.
You did not just pull "You aren't the boss of me!!!" line did you?!?!?!I guess from my perspective it would be nice if you: 1) acknowledged the history of blackface, the ways in which it was used to STEREOTYPE and PERPETUATE myths about African Americans through mass culture in the United States. 2) explain how, comedy or not, you weren't doing either of those things. Amos & Andy were funny. They were also the worst kind of blackface. Your blog's whole intention was to magnify and reproduce traditional STEREOTYPES of Jamaican culture, a stereotype that helps plenty of people profit of tie-dyed shirts and Bob Marley posters. Maybe you should take a gander at the most influential Jamaican in American history. No, not Mr. Marley, but Marcus Garvey.And frankly, your defense that you have plenty of black friends and lived in a cultural melting pot and yadda yadda yadda is even more disheartening. I honestly doubt you have any real understanding of African American history in THIS country and how things like blackface were and continue to aid in blatant white supremacy. The fact that you see it on TV all the time should be disheartening, not encouraging.
You did not just pull "You aren't the boss of me!!!" line did you?!?!?!I guess from my perspective it would be nice if you: 1) acknowledged the history of blackface, the ways in which it was used to STEREOTYPE and PERPETUATE myths about African Americans through mass culture in the United States. 2) explain how, comedy or not, you weren't doing either of those things. Amos & Andy were funny. They were also the worst kind of blackface. Your blog's whole intention was to magnify and reproduce traditional STEREOTYPES of Jamaican culture, a stereotype that helps plenty of people profit of tie-dyed shirts and Bob Marley posters. Maybe you should take a gander at the most influential Jamaican in American history. No, not Mr. Marley, but Marcus Garvey.And frankly, your defense that you have plenty of black friends and lived in a cultural melting pot and yadda yadda yadda is even more disheartening. I honestly doubt you have any real understanding of African American history in THIS country and how things like blackface were and continue to aid in blatant white supremacy. The fact that you see it on TV all the time should be disheartening, not encouraging.
Ya know, the fact that you could say he should acknowledge the history of blackface is absolutely absurd to me. Am I missing something here? I know its late, but did Daniel just just take out some shoe polish and blacken up his skin, use some white paint and exaggerate his lips and make googly eyes, put on gloves and a tailcoat??? I watched that video twice and didnt see Daniel put on a minstrel show. I took a pop culture class when i was in college and blackface was a serious topic we went over. Ive seen movies, read books, and wrote essays on the subject. I do not claim to be an expert or anything close to it, but I dont see the correlation between blackface and daniels skit? Was it blackface? No. Was he trying to offend anyone? No. No one on this forum has the right to tell anyone how they should react to a situation, but I truly feel sorry for those who are offended. It is comedy. I guess the world really has a far way to go, but I dont think its because of racism, but rather how sensitive people are. Maybe I could see a Jamaican man being offended by it, but most will prolly laugh. When someone makes a joke, one thats not racist, like daniels, i hope we can all laugh even if its poking fun at ourselves. This is getting blown even more out of proportion with every new post, I know even im a contributing factor. But now we're telling a professional poker player to have disclaimers before his blog saying it might offend people ? lol come on. He wasnt taking any shots at those who performing in minstrel shows, I think its fairly easy to see that so lets get off the high horse. If he did, then yes, I would lose all respect for him, but he wouldnt do that. He has kept it in all good fun. Being jewish, I have heard my fair share of jokes about my religion, but if Daniel wanted to dress up as a rabbi and do an impersonation by all means go ahead. If he mocked a character that was from the Holocaust then I would probably be pretty upset. And so I understand why people who be offended by the blackface, but this is not the case here. It's situations like these that put an end to good things. Almost everything is inevitably going to be censored. We cant keep everyone happy. I hope this doesnt discourage Daniel from doing more blogs like this one in the future. But he can do whatever he wants, its his life and his choices. Someone told him to stick to poker? you are the one this thread should be about...lets talk about something real, like people who dont know another person and feel they have the right to tell them what they should stick to.