The New V Blog Is Up

Fred Sanford you ole fish-eyed foolI toud you ta stay outta dis mess cause dat boy didnt hout my feelins a bit!I tink he kinda sexxy da way he shave dat head n allWoody done got inna ripple again!PRAISE DA LOAD!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daniel, I think your impression was very impressive. However, with all due respect, I am surprised that you don't seem to be appreciating why you generated the reaction you did with it. And since yo

?

To ahosang: Thanks for chiming in. At least it helps me feel like I'm not totally crazy and that I didn't offend Jamaicans or Jamaican culture. I think a small number of Jamaicans may not like it, but I believe that a majority of them would be fine with it.
I chimed in because it was funny to me - the mannerisms, everything(especially the dominoes references). Of course, some Jamaicans would be offended, make no mistake. But most enjoy laughing at ourselves. Of the 8 sent links(none knew who you were), 5 found it funny, 1 didn't(thought it was just another stupid white guy with a bad attempt at an accent), and 1 from america(originally from jamaica) found it humourous, but said "OMG, why did he have to use the black face paint???" 1 hasn't replied yet. So it's not too bad a score from the jamaicans, but as Viking pointed out, we're not the sole critics of the video.
What I don't get, is why so many white people are offended by it? It's not like I was wearing a tuxedo and white gloves tap dancing with blackface on.
that's been answered by others here and at 2+2. It's mostly an American thing - don't do that in America I guess is the best advice.And i would beat Dexter 6-love at dominoes...To Viking: thanks for the comment. i really appreciate what you've been saying. I realise it's a touchy subject - i just wish the small things in life could stop holding such major importance. It's the big things that need immediate work.If there's institutional or social racism, let's work to kick it out of our societies. Then we can have the type of equality i was referring to in one of my posts. Then if 'Whitey' wants to clown around and 'black-up', we can all laugh(if he's funny).
I said this in a different thread, but I will say it again.If Daniel did not put on any make up and pretended to be a white guy, it would be fine. There isn't much of a difference (in my opinion)
I have no idea what this means.
Español?Si Daniel no pusiera encendido ninguna marca para arriba y fingido serun individuo blanco, sería fina. No hay mucha de una diferencia (enmi opinión)

The skit was funny, pure and simple. Anyone who was offended is being too anal (I hope that didnt offend any of you who like the bum bum). Most people dont even know what racism means anymore. If racism = stereotypes, then I'm sorry to tell you that everybody in the world is racist. Intent is the most important thing to discuss here, and none of you can really know what his true intent was but you can guess from what you've seen and heard from Daniel that his intent was just comedic. Would you guys feel any differently if a black guy or Jamaican guy came up with this idea and produced it or wrote it for DN? Wearing black makeup on your face does NOT equal blackface, they are not one in the same. It all depends on how you act and what you do with it.

Español?Si Daniel no pusiera encendido ninguna marca para arriba y fingido serun individuo blanco, sería fina. No hay mucha de una diferencia (enmi opinión)
Should I be offended that you assume that someone that doesn't understand this is a Mexican?But if you are from Mexico does that mean you are allowed to do this? Like Carlos Mencia?Are you Carlos Mencia?Anyway I laughed.

This video blog had nothing to do with 'blackface'. It looked to me to basically be a shout out to a couple of friends of Daniel's in Toronto. I've been to Jamaica and I'm gonna tell you it was a damn good impersonation of a potential Jamaican. For me, I enjoyed the blog Daniel. Keep 'em coming. You have every right to pursue your brand of comedy. I found the video light and appropriate. I watched your standup last year and it was great. Don't let the haters ruin your fun. I for one know where you are coming from and it is a place of good intentions. That is all any of us can ask of another.There will always be those that skew reality to try to prove a belief.....ie. The haters who are distorting the content and intent of your blog to push their own agenda of racial division.To me, your blog showed a love and understanding for the character. It was very cool. :club: CheersDon J

Should I be offended that you assume that someone that doesn't understand this is a Mexican?But if you are from Mexico does that mean you are allowed to do this? Like Carlos Mencia?Are you Carlos Mencia?Anyway I laughed.
This alone should prove it isn't Carlos Mencia.

I still think the casual drug references were way out of line.I think if you are going to stereotype these people for always smoking the weed then you are just making it more difficult for them to overcome this terrible addiction. They are never going to overcome the pressures if the world just classes them as refer smoking degenerates all the time. They have feelings too you know.So before you do this again, remember:Old Romanian women don't all smoke blunts.

Many a film director, producer, actor or alike has got themselves in deep water for things not too dis-similar. In some instances such as D W Griffith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._W._Griffith), their careers within their industry has suffered dramatically because of it.However, many fail to realise that poker players are a different breed. This sport, pastime, hobby or even addiction comes down to one thing - money. The players who we see on our television screens were making lots of money before production companies and television stations wanted their services. It's the fans, television audiences and tv companies that have given poker players a celebrity status. Becoming a celebrity comes with many pitfalls, expressing oneself in any shape or form gets put under the microscope. It would be very easy for poker players to do PR friendly things, but holding true to oneself must be paramount for self peace of mind, else it becomes rather staged and un-real.Poker is very unique. It's one of the rare entities in which good players can make a lot of money regardless if television companies, fans, audiences and alike pulled out, and never bothered with them again. Many see todays poker celebrities in a light that they should act a certain way, but in reality, they are individuals, with indivdual mindsets, individual agendas and play an individual money-orientated game which was here long before celebrity status' were put upon them. They will continue to make money and that's what this game is about.Above all, I think the video shows character, creativity and self-belief in his talents.I hope Daniel continues producing such content, bring on the gay - remember though, it's the pinker shade, as the darker kind doesn't go well with your complexion!

Many a film director, producer, actor or alike has got themselves in deep water for things not too dis-similar. In some instances such as D W Griffith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._W._Griffith), their careers within their industry has suffered dramatically because of it.
Uhhhh Birth of a Nation was a little bit racist. Not really the same thing here.Just saying

This all seems resonant with a theory I have heard spouted (though never read) by and about young people today—that growing up in “diverse communities” with friends of every color and creed, they are “postracial.” It follows that they make racist jokes without malice, as a way of rebelling against the tyranny of political correctness. Perhaps this is true, and maybe it’s not even such a bad thing: racism isn’t racism anymore it’s just breaking of taboo. We can poke a little fun at Filipinos and Sikhs and Arabs and Germans and people from Kentucky, and then all listen together to the ebony-skinned Brazilian man on the deck of the Belafonte singing “Ziggy Stardust” in Portuguese.

I actually think there is some truth to that. It seems many people spend so much time worried about "not looking racist." Thing is, if you spend a lot of time with people of other cultures, you actually become way more comfortable making fun of each other in a friendly way. I don't living life walking around on egg shells all the time worrying about the intracicies of political correctness. It's way too exhausting and counter-productive in my opinion.
Out of curiosity,why have a screener with all black people then? That seems to me at least recognizing the eggshells may exist.

It seems strange to me that all of the negative comments are coming from our American friends. Is it possible that even though we are neighbors, as Canadians, we have the ability to take ourselves a little less seriously? Or is that as a nation we have had a history of a cultural melting pot and a more tolerant society of people being different? In a city like Toronto, of which I grew up in the suburbs of, we all learned to get along as people. I can see what DN was trying to accomplish here...although I felt that the joke was lame it was not meant to be spiteful...despite what Spike Lee or any other hollywood director has to say about the subject. Create your own opinion and decide if you were offended. If you were...count to ten, grab a beer and realize that life will go on again tomorrow. Try to influence the people around you to be better people...not some poker player whose blog you tune into for entertainment. If you're here for life lessons then we have more problems then can possibly be solved online.The target of comedy can and should be aimed at anyone.

This all seems resonant with a theory I have heard spouted (though never read) by and about young people today—that growing up in “diverse communities” with friends of every color and creed, they are “postracial.” It follows that they make racist jokes without malice, as a way of rebelling against the tyranny of political correctness. Perhaps this is true, and maybe it’s not even such a bad thing: racism isn’t racism anymore it’s just breaking of taboo. We can poke a little fun at Filipinos and Sikhs and Arabs and Germans and people from Kentucky, and then all listen together to the ebony-skinned Brazilian man on the deck of the Belafonte singing “Ziggy Stardust” in Portuguese.
I haven't yet heard that theory, but it seems to hit home with me. Sounds like it could be pretty accurate. I grew up in Chicago with friends of every race you could think of. Now as for rebelling against PC. There is nothing I love more. I'm not racist, but I do recognize that different races are different, and nowadays it's apparently wrong to make any mention of that. We have to live in this "Everyone is the same" world. Well, we are all people, and we should all be treated as such, equally and with the amount of respect each person deserves. But that doesn't mean we're all the same. It shouldn't be a problem to recognize this. I also don't have much problem with stereotypes, because you know what? They weren't made up out of nowhere. Maybe some are outdated, and that's a whole other conversation, but for the most part, people see things the way they are, and why is it wrong to point any of that out. Jokingly or not. Either way, people are too sensitive. If my white friends can make fun of absolutely anything I do, in whatever context or meaning it may have, why is it wrong for friends who are of other races do the same to each other? If nothing is off limits with good friends of the same race, why should it be off limits of friends of other races? If the world wants to be equal, they need to stop making more limitations, and start allowing everyone to actually act like equals.And the blog was fine. Obviously.