Phil Gordon Losing His Mind

For all those who didn't see the Poker After Dark exchange that is being talked about here, you can watch it here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=dg78-gEECfwIt includes the entire Erick vs. Patrick hand, and then all of the Erick vs. Phil exchange at the end. I do agree that Phil was being a jerk, in the "Hermoine Granger" know-it-all type of way, but I think Erick was a little unjustly harsh too, and it was just because of the way the hand turned out."And that's all I got to say about that."

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Gordon's problem is he wants to be recognised as an authority in poker without really digging in and working as hard as others, takes the whole proffessional player thing too seriously. LMAO at Lindgren's final comment on that vid.

Man, I just watched it again and I still can't stop laughing, lol! Erick came up with a beautiul one liner at the very end and you can see that Ivey can barely contain himself. Poker etiquette 101: when someone loses a big pot (unless you are good friends with them and want to needle them) don't do what Phil Gordon did.

It did make me a little embarressed for poor Phil, I really think 2 years of commentating on Celebrity Poker warped his mind.

Man, I just watched it again and I still can't stop laughing, lol! Erick came up with a beautiul one liner at the very end and you can see that Ivey can barely contain himself. Poker etiquette 101: when someone loses a big pot (unless you are good friends with them and want to needle them) don't do what Phil Gordon did.
Fing classic tournament, one of the best PAD's yet. And PG's "I'll see ya on the golf course"remark at the end to Erick, LOL.There is no way anyone will convince me that these guys are friends. They seem to have nothing but contempt for each other.So glad Jen came back and won it all too. She is just so cool. :club:
Daniel, what did your face look like after the JJJKK check from Tilly? Was it more the :0 Phil-ivey like face? Or the :\ Lindgren-face trying to keep himself from laughing?Or maybe the ¬_¬ slightly-disgusted-Harman face?
Erick was out of line if anybody was. If Daniel had made the same comment to Erick, he wouldn't have jumped down his throat like he did.
That's because me and Erick are good friends? What's odd about that?
That's because me and Erick are good friends? What's odd about that?
LOL, I know that. I'll just say they were both out of line. Phil shouldn't have said anything to get Erick fired up, I think Erick over reacted a little bit.
Hey Daniel. I just watched the recent High Stakes episode where you mention poker etiquette to Phil Laak. Everyone knows that Phil and Antonio are good friends and they needle each other at every chance, why throw out the poker etiquette moniker at Laak when you obviously agree its okay to dismiss etiquette when its amongst friends? Just wondering, just seemed a bit odd reading this comment right after seeing that one HSP episode.Speaking of HSP, you sure seemed out of your element that episode, you looked distracted and frustrated?
LOL, I know that. I'll just say they were both out of line. Phil shouldn't have said anything to get Erick fired up, I think Erick over reacted a little bit.
A little bit? I was amazed how well Phil Gordon took this kindegarten beating from this tilting retard, whom prior to the show I always thought was a nice guy. He also totally killed the atmosphere for the remaining shows, you could slice the tension there with a knife which resulted in no table talk, which is not what Poker after Dark is about.And regarding to the original post, anyone with half a brain can see Daniel was behaving like a baby in this matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his(still am!), which is why I registered to this site, but this really surprised me.
A little bit? I was amazed how well Phil Gordon took this kindegarten beating from this tilting retard, whom prior to the show I always thought was a nice guy. He also totally killed the atmosphere for the remaining shows, you could slice the tension there with a knife which resulted in no table talk, which is not what Poker after Dark is about.And regarding to the original post, anyone with half a brain can see Daniel was behaving like a baby in this matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his(still am!), which is why I registered to this site, but this really surprised me.
Eric's retort was completely called for. He was just beaten out of a decent size pot on a nice call. There was absolutley no need for Gordon to make any comment what so ever. If you listen in the background the entire show Gordon is asking Jennifer about her thoughts on how certain hands were played. This certainly doesn't seem to be the place to be talking as such.
You're on the money here, Spre. "E-Dawg" just sucked the life out of that show with his childish 'tude. He removed the CL from CLASS, big time. The only reason to watch that series was to see if he and PG would fight. Check it vs. the fun banter of Tony G/Matusow/Hellmuth vs. Ivey, and it doesn't even compare. Take your lumps like a man, Erick. Act like you've been there. It's poker, and if you're gonna set the mood with harsh talk (i.e., "idiot," "you always know the hole cards," etc.), you have to expect some needling from the man you've been beating on when you get the hammer dropped on you. I was cheering when Erick got bounced, because the stale fart smell had finally left the church.I may be one of the few fans that generally like all 3 guys--DN, Erick and PG (even if its for way different reasons)--but I felt bad for the way PG got ganged up on. Even Ivey had this passive-aggressive participation thing going with Erick. It was clearly the Little Boys Club, party of 2. Love him or hate him, PG has been great for the game. Read Jesus' intro in PG's Little Blue Book. Jesus repeats several times that PG always says he's not a great pro, but Jesus clearly has respect for him and what he's done for poker. What has Erick done for it, beside benefit? Yes, PG is childish at times, but certainly no more than Matusow, Hellmuth, Erick or even DN (yes, even DN--oh stop and get past the man love already--Blackface spat, Raymer spat, PG spat, WSOP rules spat...). I like DN and what he's done for the game, specifically with respect to the Protege Program. Makes him one of the Top 5 ambassadors of the game, IMO. But outside of poker, he's still got some serious growing up to do. As does his best friend, "E-Dawg."

You make some interesting points Potsie, I can't deny there is some truth to some of what you've said. PG and Erick clearly do not like each other, for what ever reason. One person I don't get is...Phil Ivey. What is up with this guy? I want to like him, and have nothing but great admiration and respect for his game. But wow....pretty unlikeable really from what I have seen so far. (And not the most gracious guy in person from what I hear). Is he Shy?, Grumpy?, Arrogant?....just seems like he always has a colossal stick up his rectum on TV and never shows any hint of personality. What a BORE. On PAD, when Helmuth was in an unusually great mood, and touched Ivey's shirt sleeve in a good natured way...and holy crap!..Ivey shot him a beauty queen Prima Donna "how dare you" snear and told Phil to not touch him. ZOMG! Then later on, Phil tried to hug him and Ivey was just cringing, having NONE of it. He just seemed like a major putz to me....maybe he was having a bad day? :club:

You make some interesting points Potsie, I can't deny there is some truth to some of what you've said. PG and Erick clearly do not like each other, for what ever reason. One person I don't get is...Phil Ivey. What is up with this guy? I want to like him, and have nothing but great admiration and respect for his game. But wow....pretty unlikeable really from what I have seen so far. (And not much guy in person from what I hear). Is he Shy?, Grumpy?, Arrogant?....just seems like he always has a colossal stick up his rectum on TV and never show any hint of personality. What a BORE. On PAD, when Helmuth was in an unusally great mood, and touched Ivey's shirt sleeve in a good natured way...and holy crap!..Ivey shot him a beauty queen Prima Donna "how dare you" snear and told Phil to not touch him. ZOMG! Then later on, Phil tried to hug him and Ivey was just cringing, having NONE of it. He just seemd like a major putz to me....maybe he was having a bad day? :club:
Amen. He is what Greg Maddux is to baseball. What Wayne Gretzky is to Phoenix hockey. What those orange-and-black-wrappered-peanut-chew-things are to a sack of full-sized Halloween candy bars.
"Order me whatever you get.""You probably already know what he wants."Wow, that couldn't have been scripted any better. I would love to have heard Phil actually say what he thought Erick had without the help of Patrick.
God how funny would it be if he was on HSP S4, with Erick and Dan in the game. Pull some strings, Dan!
There's absolutely no chance of him appearing on HSP. He knows there's too much of a risk of seriously embarrassing himself.
There's absolutely no chance of him appearing on HSP. He knows there's too much of a risk of seriously embarrassing himself.
Does he even play cash games? Im sure FT would stake him to play, even not hes rich enough. I think he would do much better than most thing. Would be really interesting!