Phil Gordon Losing His Mind

I work in Arena Football, and it’s kind of like a locker room, the locker room is our “inner sanctum” and nothing we say or do leaves the locker room, however, on occasion, someone will leak something to the press, and all hell breaks loose.
!!DOES NOT EQUATE!! The media follows arena football?
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

phil is allowed his opinion, and so is daniel.although i thought it was a bit disrespectful when, on HSP, u told another player that an astrologer's read was witchcraft, vodoo..fine to say u don't believe it, but it's disrespectful to call it names.the astrology u denegrate is revered by a large percentage of the human population. like religion is revered by many.

!!DOES NOT EQUATE!! The media follows arena football?
More so than poker, no?I think people in the poker community sometimes lose track of the relevance of poker and it's stars outside of CardPlayer, 2+2 and other assorted poker forums. If Scotty Nguyen murders his wife, it doesn't make front page news in Vegas on a slow-news Tuesday.

If anyone cares (who DOESN'T, poker drama is so much fun and we're all bored losers), Phil and Huck are dicussing it at a table in the FTOPS as we speak, here's a quick C&P with the birds editted out:Phil Gordon: no, I said he doesn't respect MY play, and then I said I had a strategy that I would follow because of that fact.Phil Gordon: he's willing to risk those chips AGAINST ME because he doesn't think I play well enough to make a tough callPhil Gordon: yes, another book this summer... GOLDPhil Gordon: for whatever reason, he just doesn'tHuckleberrySeed: in response to the blog...Phil Gordon: as a tv commentator, you have to call it like you see itPhil Gordon: just because I'm not as good a player as Daniel or Erick doesn't mean I'm not capable of giving a good analysis of the strategies that MIGHT be required to beat themHuckleberrySeed: event 1:phil heard erik say phil has no gambleHuckleberrySeed: this triggered an insecurity in phil causing him to lash out at faabricated weaknessesPhil Gordon: Huck, I can tell you this, Erick absolutely "comes after me" in tournamentsPhil Gordon: I know thatHuckleberrySeed: ive never seen edog get a large chunk of chips in w the worst of it in a big tourneyHuckleberrySeed: the guys goodPhil Gordon: yes, he's GREATPhil Gordon: but, that doesn't change the fact that he really thinks I'm terriblePhil Gordon: and because of that, he plays a different game against mePhil Gordon: exactly, which was the point that I was making in my articlePhil Gordon: I did not comment on Ericks abilities, just his play against MEPhil Gordon: you get it, right?Phil Gordon: no, bluff magazinePhil Gordon: and, i didn't say he "got his money in bad" -- I said he was willing to gamble before the flop early in a tournament against mea GT guy...i'm still a fan!HuckleberrySeed: daniel quoted you as saying it in general, not just against youPhil Gordon: continue to do so... I just have a bad memory from collegePhil Gordon: well he was wrong.HuckleberrySeed: ;)Phil Gordon: the article basically took each player at the final table and I outlined what I was thinking for eachPhil Gordon: 36Phil Gordon: Erick is a hell of a player. Clearly top 10 in my book. But, I'll stand by my assessment: he plays suboptimally against me because he thinks I'm so much worse that I probaby amHuckleberrySeed: i think you have the edge when people give you no credit in cash games, but in tourneys you want respectHuckleberrySeed: ive seen every great play terrible on occasion

Just because someone plays at higher limits than others does not automatically make them "untouchable." Isn't part of learning and improving one's game to critically analyze the tendencies of others and how they may approach the game/situations? Saying that one must play at certain monetary level to discuss the abilities of others takes away all learning value from televised poker, especially ring games like HSP, since the majority of players don't play at that level. Should we of the lower stakes not analyze hands where Mike M pulls a meltdown because he plays at bigger limits than us? Should we not question what Daniel, Helmuth, or any other televised player could have done differently to prevent a suckout or better exploit a situation for maximum profit? Should we not attempt to analyze and assess what the reasoning behind certain actions in certain situations by these "top tier" players may have been? To say that anyone that doesn't play at a certain level has no place to say anything about "name" players and their game negates any reason to watch poker, televised or live, other than pure entertainment value. That kind of attitude is supremely elitist and terribly condescending.

I’m assuming that the pro poker players are in somewhat of a locker room, same concept, and although Phil Gordon isn’t a “pro player” per-say, he’s kind of in the middle between the “media” and the “locker room,” so its understandable why you would be up-in-arms over negative things like that being “leaked” (especially when you felt they were inaccurate).
It's off-topic, but just for your sake and the sake of others, I'd like to clarify that the term is 'per se' (it's Latin). I mean that in a respectful and helpful manner.

For those of us who arent and never will be near the level of DN or PG there is only one important thing:'Phil Gordon's "Final Table", his outstanding teaching at the Howard/Annie Camps, the "Little Green" and "Blue Books."Daniel's "Holdem Wisdom for All Players" and "Learn to Win at THE".No contest here, PG is the nuts.

Well, bless your tiny little heart DN. Ordinarily I don’t get involved in such nonsense; but this thread was just too tempting. I fear that it is you who has lost his mind, not Phil. I too was once a fan of yours. However, over the last couple of years your true colors have shown. Now, don’t get me wrong; nobody can question your poker talent. For arguments sake can we agree that just about anyone on this forum can develop the necessary skills to achieve what you have if the conditions where right? By conditions I mean; A.) Live with mommy until we are 28 to support our habit B) Pay no rent and have ZERO responsibility while developing our game. You see, some of us finished high school and have families to care for, forgive us if our game is not in the same league as yours. I submit to you this, you sir can not “comprehend” what it takes to be a real man and have responsibility other than trashing someone else for having an opinion and giving your dog a massage after a long night at the table. I “think” you went from being a great ambassador to the game to a complete tool on a power trip. But that’s just my opinion.Later,A former Fan.

It's off-topic, but just for your sake and the sake of others, I'd like to clarify that the term is 'per se' (it's Latin). I mean that in a respectful and helpful manner.
:D Zomg! March...you know we love you man, but please don't become a poker forum grammar cop! It's soooooo condesending dude! :club:
:D Zomg! March...you know we love you man, but please don't become a poker forum grammar cop! It's soooooo condesending dude! :club:
condescending.zomg shipit!Mark

What's going on Daniel? Hey if you are ever in Oregon I am a member at a great course and I can get a good game going. Anyway, I was watching a rival sites series last night and saw that Phil Gordon was playing. I must say he was really open with his chat and was even responding to the rail. He basically said that he was dicussing how E Dog plays against him and that E thinks that Phil is a weak player and that is where he saw mistakes. It kind of made sense, because from what I understand Phil's game is not respected by the majority of pros. For you I love that you are open about your opinions and are not afraid to kindle debate, but I also think you should look at your response to Phil expressing his opinion and how you could of made your argument better by not saying he lost his mind.Hey check out break.com and the fued between Carlos "Ned" Mencia and your buddy Joe Rogan. Basically Joe and a lot of other comics have been accusing Carlos of stealing material for years and Joe decides to confront him at the Comedy Store in LA.Peace,Mike

Lol Cobalt don't know why you bothered to correct that, the amount of spelling/grammar errors on this board is hideous. We could be here all day correcting the peasant English.
Zomg! March...you know we love you man, but please don't become a poker forum grammar cop! It's soooooo condesending dude!
It's a common misconception...so I'm just doing my bit to correct it.
You see, some of us finished high school and have families to care for, forgive us if our game is not in the same league as yours. I submit to you this, you sir can not “comprehend” what it takes to be a real man and have responsibility other than trashing someone else for having an opinion and giving your dog a massage after a long night at the table. I “think” you went from being a great ambassador to the game to a complete tool on a power trip. But that’s just my opinion.Later,A former Fan.
Why does everyone want to make fun of us people that didn't finish high school as if we are defective. School is for suckers.
Not until I heal from this surgery. LOL And I hope it's fast. All I got is this board and MTTs and I'm going crazy with cabin fever.
Just remember to listen to the doctors:No house work for 6-8 months. None.They must know what's best, they're doctors.
OMG The only bet I'd ever make about shaving my head is that I'd do it if Teddy ever won a tournament, because then I'd be safe. The highlights aren't going anywhere buddy!Mark
BET IT.
Why does everyone want to make fun of us people that didn't finish high school as if we are defective. School is for suckers.
Apparently. You are way more affluent than I am and I finished high school and university. I suck.