Phil Gordon Losing His Mind

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr. Suckers!Please let me know when you arrive. If you are in need of employment, I have a vacancy for an executive assistant. I had to terminate the last one since he was unable to spell the word "Governor". That is obviously an essential skill for this position.Yours etc.,The Most Honourable Kenneth Octavius Hall, ON, OJ.Governor-General of JamaicaKings HouseKingstonJAMAICAPS James Earl Jones only wishes he sounded like me!
Actually, I had to ask my wife how to spell it. Maybe you could hire her. Then I could sit on the beach with a bottle of rum, cuban cigar, and a laptop playing MTTs. At least until she got home. Not only can she spell really well, she can count really well too. She is all the time telling me "I'm gonna give you to the count of 10 to get out there and mow that grass" or "I'm gonna give you to the count of 10 to take out the garbage" I know she can count to 9 anyway. She also is well skilled in handing out warnings. I get warned at least 10 times a week. You haven't been warned until you've been warned by an Irish woman, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

you know, the more I think about this, the less i understand DN's motivation. if what phil is saying isnt true why would DN ruin that for Eric by making this grand statement of eric's ability compared to phil's. in other words, why is DN tapping on the glass?

Whoa whoa whoa, guys. I'm a huge Daniel fan. If there's anyone in the poker world that I consider a hero, it's him. And, I know a lot of you agree with that or you wouldn't be here.I think we've settled that he overreacted a little bit on this one, but you see his motivation, right? He was defending a friend. There's nothing wrong with the motivation...just the execution. And even then, it's not super malicious towards Gordon. Daniel says a lot of stuff in an exaggerated manner...that's just part of his outspoken personality. In this case, we've just got an example of miscommunication - the basis for a lot of conflict. Daniel's already proven that he's capable of settling issues like this with his apology to Rogan, so I think we can helpfully suggest that he's a little too defensive or whatever in this case, but to suggest that he lacks class or condemn him for something unforgivable is an overreaction on y'all's parts.I haven't really kept up with a lot of the controversial stuff lately, but in all these suggestions of purposeful alienation on the part of Daniel, I think the tendency is going to be tendency to alienate him from us...which isn't a good result.

That latest rant against Phil Gordon has made me snap.Daniel - you are not an educated man. You are not an intelligent man. This is evident in your blogs, in which the spelling and grammar is absolutely shocking. I thought that it was quite hilarious to see Phil Gordon's response regarding the 'bafoon'/'buffoon', particularly given its context (your ranting about spell-checking). Unlike you, he is intelligent and educated.There was nothing wrong whatsoever with Phil Gordon's comments. What about when you ranted about the WPT lawsuit? How do you think those guys felt about an uneducated clown ranting about its prospects of success?Time you kept a little quiet, and stopped trying to make up for your lack of education.

That latest rant against Phil Gordon has made me snap.Daniel - you are not an educated man. You are not an intelligent man. This is evident in your blogs, in which the spelling and grammar is absolutely shocking. I thought that it was quite hilarious to see Phil Gordon's response regarding the 'bafoon'/'buffoon', particularly given its context (your ranting about spell-checking). Unlike you, he is intelligent and educated.There was nothing wrong whatsoever with Phil Gordon's comments. What about when you ranted about the WPT lawsuit? How do you think those guys felt about an uneducated clown ranting about its prospects of success?Time you kept a little quiet, and stopped trying to make up for your lack of education.
loltrollaments.... How do you you define educated? Is it having a diploma or a degree and then showing that knowledge by creating an account on a website and lampooining the founder with a very trivial and unintelligent arguement? I honestly wonder what the hell is wrong with people like you...get a life.
I have to side with Phil on this one also. Daniel, I'm a big fan, and think you are a great guy, and you come off exceptionally well on TV. But like a previous poster said, I think you alienate a lot of fans on this site as time goes on. I see a lot of myself 7 years ago in you. Sometimes your ego and a bit of self righteousness get in the way when you don't mean for it to. I hope your wife gets on you like mine did me, and your humbleness and fun loving character come back.God Bless,Mark
You mean to tell me that 7 years ago you called off 40K to Phil Laak and then later on shaved your head? :D
Whoa whoa whoa, guys. I'm a huge Daniel fan. If there's anyone in the poker world that I consider a hero, it's him. And, I know a lot of you agree with that or you wouldn't be here.I think we've settled that he overreacted a little bit on this one, but you see his motivation, right? He was defending a friend. There's nothing wrong with the motivation...just the execution. And even then, it's not super malicious towards Gordon. Daniel says a lot of stuff in an exaggerated manner...that's just part of his outspoken personality. In this case, we've just got an example of miscommunication - the basis for a lot of conflict. Daniel's already proven that he's capable of settling issues like this with his apology to Rogan, so I think we can helpfully suggest that he's a little too defensive or whatever in this case, but to suggest that he lacks class or condemn him for something unforgivable is an overreaction on y'all's parts.I haven't really kept up with a lot of the controversial stuff lately, but in all these suggestions of purposeful alienation on the part of Daniel, I think the tendency is going to be tendency to alienate him from us...which isn't a good result.
Well said Blue eyes!Shall we move on folks?PEACE! :club:(I still want to see a Ro-Sham-Bo - off to settle this)

Daniel,You can't hide who you are. Kneejerk, vindictive, sometimes malicious. From reading your posts for years (back to RGP), I think this is a fair assessment, at least of your online persona. Some things don't change. You said in a recent blog that you had fallen out of your relationship with God, and this is why you've become this way. Sorry, but no amount of worship or "self healing" can change who you are deep down. And this is who you are. Just embrace it. The poker fad is dying down, anyway. I suspect there's more room for bad guys now.

Daniel,You can't hide who you are. Kneejerk, vindictive, sometimes malicious. From reading your posts for years (back to RGP), I think this is a fair assessment, at least of your online persona. Some things don't change. You said in a recent blog that you had fallen out of your relationship with God, and this is why you've become this way. Sorry, but no amount of worship or "self healing" can change who you are deep down. And this is who you are. Just embrace it. The poker fad is dying down, anyway. I suspect there's more room for bad guys now.
D0uche?...meet bag.
The whole point of Christianity is that you CAN change who you are deep down. And regardless of religion, I don't think you can argue that there aren't many many people out there who have changed for the better or worse over the course of their lives.Mark
You mean to tell me that 7 years ago you called off 40K to Phil Laak and then later on shaved your head?
OMG The only bet I'd ever make about shaving my head is that I'd do it if Teddy ever won a tournament, because then I'd be safe. The highlights aren't going anywhere buddy!Mark
The whole point of Christianity is that you CAN change who you are deep down. And regardless of religion, I don't think you can argue that there aren't many many people out there who have changed for the better or worse over the course of their lives.Mark
Yeah, but my whole point is that you can't change who you are, no matter how much bullshit you swallow.
Oh, I upset a fanboy.
ha.... I consider him a friend and you came off as just trying to start some more crap.
Yeah, but my whole point is that you can't change who you are, no matter how much bullshit you swallow.
Oh, I think I see your point now. The old "even if you gild a turd with gold, underneath, all you still have a turd" arguement? In a very general sense perhaps there is some truth to this, but you have to appreciate anyone struggling to improve who they are, by what ever means. I think we are all on some type of journey along those lines, trying ot be a better human being and all. At least I hope we are. :club:
Awesome. The folks at 2+2 get tired of your alarmist, misinformed allegations of racism, yet?
I can't express how aggravating it is when so many people fail to understand the simplest point. I guess you've been reading 2+2, so you understand that I'm not offended in the least by the video. It's the obliviousness to the taboo that is blackface that makes me cringe. Can you not differentiate between the two?
Finally, a politician who responds. Am moving to Jamaica. P.S. Why when reading that I was hearing it in the voice of James Earl Jones?
because you don't know what cesar chavez looks like
You know, all Daniel had to do was politely and firmly disagree with Phil.
a gentleman and a scholar.

Quick comment: I don't care who is right, it's all BS. Also, in respect to PG being critical of ELs game, Bob Brenly used to critisize Greg Maddux all the time. Because he is a commentator. I doubt Brenly thought he was a better baseball player than Maddux. John Smoltz never came out and critisized Brenly for his comments. Food for thought.

This might sound ridiculous, but who is Phil Gordon? I'm British, and I've seen him on a few TV shows here and there, but how, if he's not a player, did he end up being such a recognisable name in the poker world?
he's like a bullpen catcher...but for poker
This might sound ridiculous, but who is Phil Gordon? I'm British, and I've seen him on a few TV shows here and there, but how, if he's not a player, did he end up being such a recognisable name in the poker world?
http://www.philgordonpoker.comall this controversy aside, I think Phil is a decent guy with an interesting take on the game.

He wrote a book considered staples for beginners. He hosted a pretty popular poker show for a while and he's one of the talkative ones on Full Tilt which always earns fan points.Talking on Full Tilt is probably the only thing making people like Mike Matusow at this point.

He wrote two books considered staples for beginners. He hosted a pretty popular poker show for a while and he's one of the talkative ones on Full Tilt which always earns fan points.Talking on Full Tilt is probably the only thing making people like Mike Matusow at this point.
Yeah, I've heard of his 'little green book' or something. Maybe I have that wrong.He seems like a nice guy, although when the very good 'amateur' player Juhan Helppi played him and won (in Aruba I think), Phil was a little bit condescending, throwing water over himself, as if to say, "There's no way this guy should be beating me". I thought that that was a bit disrespectful. I'm glad Juhan took his *** to church!

Daniel, You’ve probably tuned out this thread by now (understandably so), but I wanted to add my two cents….The interesting part about this forum has been an established pro and poker celebrity having the stones to enter a public forum and actively converse with “fans” and “detractors” alike. The problem is that to do so you have to let your guard down and eliminate the “barrier of accessibility” that every celebrity perpetually hides behind. I think this is one of the draw backs to that choice however. And unfortunately I don’t think that it even matters what you say or how you say it, defending your statement is almost futile, things will be taken out of context, poorly critiqued, and ultimately twisted, and there is NOTHING you can do about it. I work in Arena Football, and it’s kind of like a locker room, the locker room is our “inner sanctum” and nothing we say or do leaves the locker room, however, on occasion, someone will leak something to the press, and all hell breaks loose. I’m assuming that the pro poker players are in somewhat of a locker room, same concept, and although Phil Gordon isn’t a “pro player” per-say, he’s kind of in the middle between the “media” and the “locker room,” so its understandable why you would be up-in-arms over negative things like that being “leaked” (especially when you felt they were inaccurate). You need to stick up for your friends anway, if you didn’t, what kind of friend would you be? It’s just a tough thing when arguments go public, and it’s never “resolved” and never ends well! So anyway, my point is that I hope this incident doesn’t stop you from staying accessible; your insight into the professional poker scene and lifestyle is very interesting and very entertaining! And your poker knowledge is just sick! Hypathetical though: Could Daniel beat Mike Mcdermet heads up? Thats the real question, and what if Teddy KGB was waiting in the wings to murder the loser? Now that's "High Stakes" poker!