Phil Gordon Losing His Mind

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a recent column he wrote: I really like Erick. I have a healthy amount of respect for his game and his accomplishments. I'm not sure he'd say the same about me. In fact, I've heard him say many times that "Phil has no gamble" He just might be right - see, I view poker not as gambling, but as "strategic investing" I don't play poker for the money: I play for the thrill of competition. Erick has two big weaknesses at the table: fancy play syndrome - he's always trying to outplay his opponents after the flop, and Gamble-Gamble - he's more than willing to take a 50/50 or even worse, early in a tournament. He'll be even more wiling to do so with a payout structure like we have today. My strategy: If I'm in a pot with Erick and I have a good hand, I'm gonna let him take control of the betting and let him try to "outplay" me- I'll let him bluff off his chips. with big hands 10s or better I'll be willing to put in a big initial raise or reraise against him and hope he finds a smaller pocket pair he wants to gamble with. ********************************************************************************************************** What the??????? Did PHIL GORDON just matter of factly say that Erick Lindgren has two big weaknesses in his game? Then go on to give two examples that couldn't be more untrue? It's almost slanderous. E-DOG gambles on 50/50's before the flop? Huh?? What??? Huh??? What??? Is this guy serious??? How in the world did Phil Gordon become enough of an authority to say that Erick has two weaknesses in his game? If someone like Johnny Chan, or Doyle Brunson, or Chip Reese said something like that it would be somewhat understandable. But we are talking about PHIL GORDON here!!! I'm still in shock after reading this. This dude done lost his mind. Now, I've done similarly stupid things in the past. Clearly I've crossed that line before and know that speaking negatively about others play isn't something that is usually a good idea. But for a non-professional poker player to critique an actual professional's game, and in doing so, be about as off base as humanly possible, just makes no sense to me. The article comes off as though Gordon knows more about poker than Erick does. Phil, are you serious? Erick would absolutely trounce you at the poker table. He'd slap you up silly, seriously. You are talking about one of the best tournament players in the world today. A guy who's actually made his living playing the game of poker, whether it be online, in tournaments, or in cash games. What in the world makes you think you could spot a weakness in a player that plays better than you could even comprehend? Phil, did you proof read that column before you sent it? It makes you come off like a complete bafoon. You started out the column complimenting Erick, but you are like the king of the backhanded compliment or something, lol. Erick is a good buddy of mine, obviously, so you might say that I'm being biased. I'd challenge you to find 20 top players that think your comments where either accurate (in assessing his play), or appropriate coming from a TV Commentator/Author. For the record, I don't dislike you. I think you are completely wrong in this case, but I don't think you are a jerk or anything like that. I just don't understand what motivated you to write something like that in the way that you wrote it?

Blog fodder? Edit: just read the blog. niceI think he meant to say Eric Sidel..........er.......Erica Schoenberg........er........Eminem, ya that's it, Eminem.

No offense,DN but I have noticed on some of these broadcasts and in some of these articles that poker players- like anybody with a camera in ther face- just love to hear themselves talk. Some even do video blogs,in which the cutting of there hair is chronicled........ which I seriously think out of all the pro players out there you are the only one that could make that entertaining,but I am sure you get the point. The whole reason the players who are commentators,writers and personalities is because they talk alot,and some of it is just fluff or inaccurate- it's bound to be. We don't expect our news reporters to be right all of the time, why should I expect anybody to nail each players ability 100% of the time?

For the record, I don't dislike you. I think you are completely wrong in this case, but I don't think you are a jerk or anything like that. I just don't understand what motivated you to write something like that in the way that you wrote it?
Can we give Phil credit for trying to set up something psychological for when they meet? Probably not, but it's a thought.I don't know how anyone could watch that WPT final table in Paris and not come away with huge respect for Lindgren's game.

Phil Gordon can be cool but he does come off like a bit of a donkey there.It's nice to see you defending your friend like that. But Erick doesn't require it. Everyone knows how good he can be.

Blog fodder? Edit: just read the blog. nice
...and he even has us waiting on his new video blog too! :PHey DN, I like the way you stand up for your close friends - it's admirable.But would you have done the same for say, Phil Hellmuth? That said, it does sound like he went a bit overboard.But hey, controversy keeps things hummin' doesn't it? - especially in the entertainment field.Like you said - you've done it yourself in the past.
Phil Gordon can be cool but he does come off like a bit of a donkey there.It's nice to see you defending your friend like that. But Erick doesn't require it. Everyone knows how good he can be.
I know he doesn't require it, but I was so shocked when I read it I couldn't figure it out?
No offense,DN but I have noticed on some of these broadcasts and in some of these articles that poker players- like anybody with a camera in ther face- just love to hear themselves talk. Some even do video blogs,in which the cutting of there hair is chronicled........ which I seriously think out of all the pro players out there you are the only one that could make that entertaining,but I am sure you get the point. The whole reason the players who are commentators,writers and personalities is because they talk alot,and some of it is just fluff or inaccurate- it's bound to be. We don't expect our news reporters to be right all of the time, why should I expect anybody to nail each players ability 100% of the time?
I think he could've made the same points about how he thought Lindgren should be played without showing hubris.

There are two main flaws in Daniel Negreanu's game:1. He calls out what someone has every hand and the directors nefariously edit it negating any obvious reading skills DN has. This is unacceptable.2. He tends to push all in pre-flop with middle pairs. If I see this I'll let him do this and just try to see a lot of flops and play what I like to call "small ball."Edit: Because poker is a game of skill you see.

There are two main flaws in Daniel Negreanu's game:1. He calls out what someone has every hand and the directors nefariously edit it negating any obvious reading skills DN has. This is unacceptable.2. He tends to push all in pre-flop with middle pairs. If I see this I'll let him do this and just try to see a lot of flops and play what I like to call "small ball."Edit: Because poker is a game of skill you see.
LoL, did you get to see Phil's comments on PAD Daniel?
He is one weird dude.
He's actually one of the nicest players I've ever met. I met him at an airport in S.F., and he couldn't have been more ablidging about taking a picture with me and chatting about poker. He's also one of the few players over at FTP to actually engage players in chat. Overall I don't see him as weird at all.

Ah, don't bash on Gordon too hard... Phil's a great player in his own rights and has done a great job as a commentator in most of his situations (and I'm not talking about Celebrity Poker). I loved the work he did on the PPV 12 hour long 2006 Main Event Final Table... He also does a great job of giving a skilled player's personal opinion on other players, their games, their actions... and has many outlets that have interest in publishing those views... also with many interested readers.You have your views that seem quite extreme to many people on these forums (the recent Al Gore blog for example) and he has his views that you tend to find extreme yourself. Yes, you added a disclaimer at the end that you didn't mean to come off in a personal manner, but you did so after completely bashing his game and his ability as a poker player (which was a bit uncalled for). Standing up for your buddy is great, but don't you think those comments go a bit too far?

He's actually one of the nicest players I've ever met. I met him at an airport in S.F., and he couldn't have been more ablidging about taking a picture with me and chatting about poker. He's also one of the few players over at FTP to actually engage players in chat. Overall I don't see him as weird at all.
I sat next to him for 4 hours last july on a table at the WSOP. In my opinion, he's weird.