Ask Mr. Gore Why He Travels Everywhere By Private Jet...

Great blog Daniel, seriously, it's good to know people are compassionate about "doing the right thing" so to speak, as it becomes so rare these days.....My only problem with the whole mess is the walking hypocrites we have running/campaining in this Country. First off, Gore travels the world promoting his movie and "message" about saving the earth, all the while traveling by private jet essentially ruining his message. Sure this guy needs "security", but c'mon. For what he's promoting he should/could be traveling first class on a commercial airliner....Do as I say, not as I do though huh?....He gets in a limousine which takes him to an awaiting hybrid prius, followed by a motorcade of 4+ motorcycles, several cars, and maybe a truck for good measure...This all takes him to a site so he can then give a speech on global warming, only to return to his empty, running private jet burning massive amounts of fuel, awaiting his departure to the next stop....I dunno, somethings not right there.Do a quick google search about Al Gore and zinc mining by the way, thats kinda interesing....The guy lives on a zinc mine, and still gets checks from it being mined..... thats great for the environment....He has sold out in the past on big enviromental issues, just to gain endorsement from certain particular big wigs who of course helped him get what he wanted. Winning elections....You really can't trust politicians it seems, nobody's perfect, but lets get real. Hypocrisy abounds.This guy is also a fundraising whore, and its hard to know who or what to believe these days...The facts of global warming itself are even debatable scientifically, and he seems to want to sell the 'hype' of it all...There is business in everything lets not forget, its all about the dolla...While it is obvious what we are doing to the earth is not great for it, and our bloated excess needs to be trimmed, I can't help but believe it is a bit hyped up...I am not a scientist (obviously) but there are many who just as easily debate the opposing viewpoint....There IS global warming, but it is a natural occurence, a CYCLE that mankind has very little to do with...The begging question is how could previous ice ages have ended without global warming?..You know, back when humans were not around to burn fossil fuels and produce greenhouse gases?. I think everyone is a bit full of themselves on this one, we are not that important in the scheme of things unltimately, yet we feel the need to find these issues and ideas that place our existance to actually mean something...it is a cyclical occurence of nature, the earth warms itself naturally. A volcano contains more pollution then imaginable, perhaps we should try to stop them from occuring....I just havent bought the 'hype' I guess.Disclaimer: This is not to demean anyone's position(s) on the subject. Its very important and I do my part by recycling where I can, trying to be frugal in my steps, and I am all for alternative energy etc....But I hate hypocrisy (even though we all are at some points) and politicians leaning on an issue for alterior motives to take another angle and spin the wheels just so he can grab a piece, which Gore strikes me as doing a good bit of-P.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't hurt to be aware of ones surroundings,but like many issues out there right now, suprisingly there is another side to the story, and the whole Inconvenient Truth idea may be just hypeing it just a little bit- well, alot, but that's the job of the movie.

well mabye now that the powerful and al-knowing democrats control a 51% margin in the senate, they can literally SAVE the WORLD...because we all know that those gun-toting, tobacco-chewing, rich oil baron money grubbing republican conservatives couldn't possibly

al gore once said he invented the internet.enough said, seriously.The earth dying in 50 years? Give me a freakin break that's total bull without significant evidence, no way this planets going down in the next 10 000 years. Sorry, none of us will see our end.Earth had by far worse periods in its hella long history and it's not two hundred years of human abuse that is gonna break it that easily.

al gore once said he invented the internet.enough said, seriously.The earth dying in 50 years? Give me a freakin break that's total bull without significant evidence, no way this planets going down in the next 10 000 years. Sorry, none of us will see our end.
QFTMFTthere are alternate sides to EVERY argument...just because Gore made a motion picture from his argument and made millions off people going to see it, DOES NOT give it any more validity than the scientists' arguments that oppose Gore's beliefs

Also, I've read about it and scientists said humans only contributed to less than 5% of global warming, the rest being a completely natural cycle of the planet... And if we did everything we could to slow it down, we might get it down to 4%. Yep. 1%. So much for saving the planet

al gore once said he invented the internet.enough said, seriously.The earth dying in 50 years? Give me a freakin break that's total bull without significant evidence, no way this planets going down in the next 10 000 years. Sorry, none of us will see our end.Earth had by far worse periods in its hella long history and it's not two hundred years of human abuse that is gonna break it that easily.
I'll bet you a million dollars that if there are no changes made to the way we live now, that we'll all be dead in 50 years. You can collect in 2057 if you we're still alive that is.
Also, I've read about it and scientists said humans only contributed to less than 5% of global warming, the rest being a completely natural cycle of the planet... And if we did everything we could to slow it down, we might get it down to 4%. Yep. 1%. So much for saving the planet
That is BS. Maybe a couple scientists being paid by the government to delude the truth have said that, but the MAJORITY of experts don't believe that at all. It is not a coincidence that the Earth has warmed at a similar rate to CO2 emissions.
Don't be blind to what has already been happening. What evidence do you need exactly? Total destruction? How can you ignore the changes to the climate over the last 30 years even, it's not a coincidence. It's a serious problem and there is plenty of evidence to back that up.
That is BS. Maybe a couple scientists being paid by the government to delude the truth have said that, but the MAJORITY of experts don't believe that at all. It is not a coincidence that the Earth has warmed at a similar rate to CO2 emissions.
Im not trying to be diffuciult with this situation. I know our environment is not 100%, and i believe we all had something to do with that. I do my best to keep our planet clean...i recyle everything i can, i drive a hybrid car, i dont litter. What does upset me, hoever, are those who make sensationalist claims in the media and making it sound like many people love their oil too much and are doing his on purpose (not to say in anyway that you are doing that Daniel). But ppl should realize, Bush and his discussion panels had nothing more to do with this problem than Gore and his people. I jsut pray that our new congress can finally find a way to work together to bring soltions to the MANY problems our country and our world face today.

lol ..... Daniel you are on TILT ..... You are right about one thing. I think we all take too many things for granted and we have to treat the earth hell of a lot better. I am one of the worst recyclers in the world, but thankfully I have a very very conscious woman that recycles better than I have ever seen. We are looking at a hybrid car for our future vehicle. All you can ask is everyone tries to do there part and make people aware, which the film does even if it was done through a money hungry AL Gore

I guess I get a much different read on Al Gore and his intentions than some of you. What I see, is a man willing to work hard and teach people what scientists are saying. I generally have a pretty good BS detector, and Gore doesn't fit the profile. I honestly believe that he does care. As for him taking private jets, for a person in his position with the work that he is doing, there really isn't another option available to him if he wants to get the message out.

I fully respect Al Gores opinions and I believe his heart is in the right place. I just think more evidence is needed so that proper and meaningful changes can be made that work for everyones benefit.In the meantime there is much more that we can do than we have been doing. Cleaner cars, alternative fuels, etc. reducing our dependence on middle eastern oil..Man...I'm all for that!The sad thing is that whatever is causing the CO2 rise, most agree that if all man made Co2 emissions were halted this very second that the warming trend would continue for another 100 years. Scary stuff for sure and something to think about.

I really hope that this was one of his joke blogs.... I will reserve complete judgment until then. Ditto to the internet thing said above. Also, did people watch farenheit 911 and form opinions from and edited movie?? Cmon people, lets get some fact before we spew back regurgitated material from a movie. No way this world is dying in 50 years, that is just one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.There is much evidence to show that there was more warming at the begininig of the past century then the last 10 years. Now I personally believe that we are not doing the world any good by putting polutants in the air but at the same time we are not destroying it in the manner being said. I think we should get rid of our reliance on fossil fuels, but that is more economical than enviromental, I think that it is ridiculous that we are so dependent on one source of fuel that it contols our economy the way it does.Selling your 40K lexus 430 and buying a 40k prius does not make much sense. The lexus SUV hybrid only gets like 5 miles more to the gallon yet it is about 10-15k more...huh? Until they perfect the hybrid or make an economical one, why buy it.

I guess I get a much different read on Al Gore and his intentions than some of you. What I see, is a man willing to work hard and teach people what scientists are saying. I generally have a pretty good BS detector, and Gore doesn't fit the profile. I honestly believe that he does care. As for him taking private jets, for a person in his position with the work that he is doing, there really isn't another option available to him if he wants to get the message out.
Daniel,That's not fair. Do as I say not as I do. A leader is supposed to lead from the front. To set an example. Not have two sets of rules. One for himself and one for everyone else. If he truly believes that fossil fuel emissions are the biggest threat to the world and he flies around a private-jet, then the OP is right he is a hypocrite. Joe
Your poker/life "radar" is on about Al. As a previously staunch Republican, after getting to listen to Al pour his heart on what he thought were the important issues of the day, family, our environment, religion, social welfare, etc. I felt that there was a huge mistake in who should have been President today. He doesn't give off that "politician vibe" but is a complete southern gentleman that makes you feel like you're shooting the breeze with a pal.

A but reply:I love Daniel but I think he's way off in buying into the Gore schtick. Al Gore was against the harvesting of the pacific ewe tree, basically a shrub, when it was discovered to help cure breast cancer. His actions helped delay the release of a drug by the Merck Co. who were forced to create a synthetic alternative.As for the doom and gloomers on the anti-American, anti-capitalist global warming theory, it's an extensive topic. I'm adding a few relevant opposing links for those interested.http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759http://capmag.com/article.asp?id=733

Cleaner cars, alternative fuels, etc. reducing our dependence on middle eastern oil..Man...I'm all for that!
If you want to know why we don't already have this (and likely never will until the well has completely run dry), watch this movie: Who Killed the Electric Car.I'd also just like to say, good for you Daniel. I would do the same if I could, but I don't own a car. lol.Edit:
Al Gore was against the harvesting of the pacific ewe tree, basically a shrub, when it was discovered to help cure breast cancer. His actions helped delay the release of a drug by the Merck Co. who were forced to create a synthetic alternative.
If it was not for the synthetic alternative, this tree (one of the slowest growing trees in the world) would now be extinct. "Over-harvesting of the Pacific Yew for this drug has resulted in it becoming an endangered species." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus

Daniel, where did you read about these 2057 predictions. I've never heard any predictions that gloomy. Most experts say that we are only going to begin to feel the effects towards the 2nd half of this century, and I assume its going to be a long time after that before we all drop dead. (http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/U/ukweather2080/index.html)I could be easily wrong and I am not an expert either, but I was wondering if you had a source for that comment.For the other guy who said that Al Gore claimed to have invented the internet. That isn't true. Anybody who believes that story if a goofball. The exact quote that led to that urban legend was this:"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."He was just saying that he voted for some bills that helped the internet develop.Edit: Also, Daniel, why would the government pay off scientist to say that Global Warming is not a big problem. I might understand why corporations might do it but seriously, the idea that a government would benefit in anyway from blocking out the truth is loony.

If you want to know why we don't already have this (and likely never will until the well has completely run dry), watch this movie: Who Killed the Electric Car.I'd also just like to say, good for you Daniel. I would do the same if I could, but I don't own a car. lol.Edit:If it was not for the synthetic alternative, this tree (one of the slowest growing trees in the world) would now be extinct. "Over-harvesting of the Pacific Yew for this drug has resulted in it becoming an endangered species." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus
Trees over human life, environmentalism in a nutshell.

Despite my original post, I actually kind of like/respect Gore....I even voted for him, but it was more of a lesser of evils type of thing, as I despise Bush....But I was a fan of Clinton. The whole political 'game' is so jacked in my opinion though, its getting tough (impossible?) to really get alot of good people to do the "right" things collectively, and consistently.This whole sensationalism of global warming is just kind of 'hoaxy' to me though. Granted, at the same time its a very serious issue....It used to be an ice age was coming, now apparently were all going to melt, and I remember a science teacher whom I respected years ago telling me that eventually we would all have to be very dark pigmented to even survive in the sun....an interesting thought I can see actually happen.But if you look at some of the drastic improvements to curb pollution which Clinton-Gore actually helped instill, and some of which Bush helped 'undo' :club: I think we're getting towards the right direction. I mean, billions of dollars in regulation were spent to curtail emmision rates in plants across the country...This is improvement and it needs to continue, but the whole 'we must stop all polluting right now' or we will die very soon just doesnt hold water to me, unless you like long term recession or even a great economic depression. We definetly need to get up with the times though and hammer some simple things out on the issue.P.

Daniel - Good for you.Unfortunately the backlash is just as predictible - and unfortunately as happens with most serious debates it almost immediately turn personal. Who cares how he gets around - this issue is much bigger than a single person and his behavior (which I happen to find quite reasonable but even if I didn't that doesn't make the climate change any less of an issue) - let's debate the ideas regardless of who promotes them and how they live their life. I suspect this debate will follow a similiar pattern as the tobacco issue - an issue where Gore and his family were clearly in the wrong initially but he became converted when faced with the consequences. Just like the early days when people started questioning the impact on health that tobacco was having, there was a huge backlash at those people and it took a long time to arrive where we are today, where the facts are so compelling and so many people either personally have been impacted or know somebody who have been.Likewise in this case; it will take a few more hurricane Katrinas, forest fires, droughts, floods and other natural disasters before the scales start tipping and the majority understands that there is something wrong and that we need to act - who cares whether that is 50 or 100 years from now; if we know it is going to happen, let's do something about it while we still have a choice.Erasa

Wow! Awsome blog! Finally is the firstword that comes to mind.I recently also watched the movie, and allthough I allready was aware of most of the facts, the movie was a strong wakeup call.I just can't fathom why anyone would ever dispute the facts presented in this movie. These are scientific facts. I don't know if it has gotten any atention in the states but last week an international group of scientist (that includes US scientist) from the UN presented a study the said that there is 90% likelyhood that humans are the cause of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6321351.stm) and most of the world reacted strongly to it (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6323653.stm). I challenge EVERYONE that haven't seen the movie to watch it, and I hope that you will start to realize that your so called "reports" that contradict these facts are wrong and created for other purposes than to present the truth. If you'd like to watch more Al Gore gave a good speech at a TED convention, available online: http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=al_gore Take a look at this page and tell me, are those tips really THAT hard to follow? http://www.climatecrisis.net/pdf/10things.pdfAnd to answer some of the responses in this thread. People complain that Al Gore takes a private jet to his destinations. Yes, but what he also does, and that he suggests we'd all do, is to buy emissions rights to offset the emisssions we produce, resulting in what he calls carbon neutral, which basicly means that we haven't contributed to the global warming.I'm an atheist, and something that I haven't fully understood is why the christian community haven't gotten behind this in a big way, and that's why I was so happy to see Daniels reaction to the movie. The chrisitan community was behind getting Bush elected (which was not good for the environment) but they could get so much done if churches all over the US started talking about the environment and what they as chrisitans should be compelled to do about it. Man is destroying the earth that they believe god gave them, so why aren't they joining forces and getting the word out???Man I feel as if I could go on forever about this. So I'm gonna end with what I'm doing to change my way of living:Turn off lights as much as possible.Turn off computer equipment as much as possible.Recycle as much as possible.Take the bus/train instead of car. (It's a shame public transit is so badly regarded in the US, opposite what it is here in Sweden)Take shorter cooler showers.Buy more local, fresh, food. (Usually more healthy to)Buy green electricity.Pick the more environmentally friendly product over another if one exists.Those are the main points, I'm still a student but as soon as I get a job I'm gonna do even more, since my salary will allow me.Please, everyone that still believes this is a hoax, watch the movie and ask yourself: Why in the world would someone make something like this up?