**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

The 4th largest bet I've ever had on a MMA fight was Punk v Gall both straight and R1 stoppage... and my balls were completely in my throat since I didn't exactly get Gall at a good price and there was always the possibility that the whole thing was a work.

The funny thing was, what made me shove on that fight wasn't even watching that Punk on "Evolution of Punk" and seeing that he wasn't within light years of being ready for the UFC (when the price on Gall went from -300 to -400 overnight). It was the weigh-ins and in particular, this moment...

l_9_EA.gif

.. when he blew a kiss at the crowd, watched them watching him... That was a man with a background in showbusiness who had no ****ing idea what he was about to be in for, stepping into a young lion like Gall. Never been surer of anything in my life. That instant, right there. It went exactly how I figured.

I do respect that the guy had the sack to do something like this at 37 but unless the UFC does some kind of legacy division of 40+ guys, he won't have a place anywhere unless they bring in cans specifically for him.

When he did the stop right before he entered the octagon, pondered, looked out at the crowd, nodded, gave a smirk, looked down to "gather himself" and "soak in the moment" before stepping in, when the charisma and the showmanship were on full display, subtle, but still obvious, I thought: maybe this guy won't just be beaten embarrassingly, he might literally be killed.

Sam Sicilia lost but he is one of my favorite fighters.

Not too many guys consistently throw absolute fire in every punch like he does.

That was a fantastic fight. Wonder what the price on the dog was, as he was the cheapest fighter on Draft Kings, and the dude looked phenomenal

• 2 weeks later...

Eddie Alvarez is a pick-em dog- repeat, a (+) 110-120 dog- against Connor McGregor.

There is no line where Alvarez is not a slight dog as of this time.

The guy who just beat (consecutively) Gil Melendez, Anthony Pettis and Rafael Dos Anjos, is a dog against Connor McGregor at 155 because after all, McGregor just finally beat Nate Diaz at 170 and well, that should mean that he's the champion of the world at 155 because after all, he is at 145 and, well, it's only 10 pounds.

I guess that's the thinking.

The line has seriously tightened in the past couple days.

I guess that's the thinking.

I'm not sure Alvarez should be a dog, however slight. But I do think it's a tossup.

I give Alvarez the edge because he might just be able to wrestle-fuck Connor for 5 rounds. But, I don't know, I kind of agree with, I think it was Kavanagh, in that McGregor's speed and power down below 170 is insane for the first round and a half, and that Diaz's godlike chin allowed him to survive both of those fights early rounds, and that anyone else taking those shots would have fallen.

I think if Alvarez doesn't wrestle-fuck (without catching one) for the first 2 rounds he might get put down. His chin is not anything like Diaz, or even Aldo who got one-shot.

I'm kind of rambling, but I agree that I'd give odds to Alvarez, but I don't see him as a big favorite.

That's sort of like saying "... if only Demian Maia doesn't get a submission, the fight will go some other way".

Diaz has a chin, but it's not Roy Nelson'esque. Kavanaugh deploys shitty logic in transposing McGregor's obvious performance against dwarves at 45 to him against Diaz at 170 and thinking "well, see, if it were anyone BUT Nate Diaz, those shots would've slept them because obviously, look at what he did at 145!" which is not a valid premise. If anything, McGregor's performance against Diaz at WW was evidence that his power absolutely doesn't translate once he gets away from his 1980's Ethiopian weight cut.

So, we now put him against Eddie Alvarez, champion of the world in what is probably the most stacked division.

I'd say that Alvarez has a more solid chin than Diaz, with the added dimension of takedowns and everything on the floor, where McGregor is weakest. McGregor is utterly untested at 55 save for two freakshow fights against one where they very deliberately put him against a guy who they knew would stand and bang.... and he lost one to a RNC.

This, at a minimum, should be a 3-1 fight. Maybe more.

• 1 month later...

If its any consolation, I lost a shitton of money on that fight... My only hedge was having a lot on Khabib.

Now, lets talk about McGregor holding that 155 strap against either Ferguson or Nurmagomedov.

Answer: he does not.

How many squash matches can Dana White give him before it gets too disgusting for anyone to stand?

Discuss.

Also, recall the Lando Vannata fight where Ferguson, fighting against a much smaller man making his octagon debut, pretty much almost got beat by straight counter-punching. IMO that was Round of the Year.

I'm not touching McGregor against Ferguson, but I will make every dime I lost back on him v Khabib.

Regrettably, this is how it will probably go.

The UFC, not wanting to kill the golden goose, will stretch his title at 55 a long as possible. This means Khabib fighting Ferguson. Figure McGregor works in a title defense at 45 - plus his very openly making significant demands against the UFC for equity, etc meaning that 'contract dispute' is another reason for delaying- we won't see McGregor defend at 155 until the ass end of 2017.

Now, lets talk about McGregor holding that 155 strap against either Ferguson or Nurmagomedov.

Answer: he does not.

Discuss.

I don't know what it is about McGregor that people just lose their senses in regards to how dangerous he is - but, yeah, no.

It is nowhere near that simple. Yes, Khabib is a straight monster on the ground, and in getting it to the ground. For this reason alone I would absolutely have him as a favorite. But the whole unequivocal "no" thing is absurd, at this point. Like Ron pointed out, Khabib got stunned badly by MJ.

MJ couldn't stun Diaz. He outboxed him until Diaz got in his head, but he never hurt him. McGregor put Diaz on his ass again and again and again.

To not see this translates into a very dangerous situation for Khabib is crazy to me.

Sure, I'd lay down 60/40 on Khabib, probably. But not thinking McGregor could reasonably knock him cold is silly, imo.

Since Dana is talking about going into Russia, some people are looking for Khabib vs Conor possibility because people like to jump the gun and get hyped for shit that probably won't happen. However, it has given me a couple of highlight videos that have made me change my mind.

I wouldn't take 60/40 with Khabib as favorite, it's more 50/50 for me now. Looking at a bunch of clips of Khabib striking with his wild abandon, ducking his head the same way every single time as he swings, I have him in real, real trouble on the feet vs Conor. Particularly to uppercuts.

Regardless, I'd want to see the fight, obviously, because somebody is getting smashed one way or another.

There really is no denying McGregor's striking at this point and Khabib looked weak'ish during R1 against MJ, but we're looking at 2 years of ring rust there and in the end, he still completely smoked him.

I hope I can get Khabib at pick'em price.

Lets not forget that Connor McGregor couldn't decisively beat Nate Diaz.

The flip side to that is that Khabib hasn't faced anything like McGregor's striking.

Still, buying Khabib and I will win.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Recent UFC Releases.

Brandon Thatch. Astonished by this and his skid. Needs to see a sports psychologist and train BJJ because 4 subs in a row, that's just too much of leak. I had him as becoming a ranked fighter.

Albert Tumenov? 5 fight win streak, he beats Jouban and Lorenz Larkin, young guy so lots of room to grow, 2 shitty sub losses and he goes to ACB? Someone's agent ****ed up here.

Michael McDonald quit the UFC due to something about them being dishonest. Now at Bellator.

https://www.facebook...268744459827971

Kyogi Horiguchi? The #4 Flyweight in the world who has never lost a fight in the UFC to anyone who wasn't Demetrious Johnson, currently on an active 3 fight win streak 'decides not to renew' his contract? Could it be realizing that he'll never be champ when someone like DJ is the final boss? Did he overestimate his worth in a contract negotiation, not realizing that 125's are worth less to the UFC than any given ring girl?

He'll go to Rizin where Orientals belong, however if Rizin were smart, they'd go all in on 125 and figure out a way to attract the absolute top talentm then just sell it to Asia where the small fighter bias doesn't really exist. Like, outbid the UFC on DJ. Completely take 125 and do whatever you can for 35. Repackage, sell in Asia, win.