**official Mma Thread**

The problem with a McGregor/Diaz rematch is what happens to McGregor's hype-train of Diaz beats him again?

That would be a catastrophic derailment in the minds of the fanboys.

That's one of the things I like about it. If Diaz beats him - especially via knockout, especially at 155 - the humiliation factor is undeniable. Ups the ante.

I like JDS too, as you mentioned in the other thread.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Diaz/McGregor headlining 200 is proof that the rumour about Zuffa shopping the UFC is true.

They are in full cash extraction mode. That was probably one of the better selling fights of all time but a rematch isn't nearly as compelling as the first, never mind being significant enough as headliner/co-headliner for a monumental event like UFC 200, but they're now just trying to wring out every last short-term nickle they can.

PPV cash grab. they're trying to sell the promotion, they don't give a shit about anyone or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it was a negotiating ploy or just not wanting to do press right now or he is gonna fail a piss test or something. Can't just be to retire.

Apparently he wouldn't do media/press obligations or asked them to reschedule, so it became a "there is no irreplaceable man" sort of power move.

In hearing the details, it sounded something like this.

Dana To Connor: You have serious press obligations here during (these days). Be sure to be here.

Connors People: Connor is training in Iceland. Can't make it.

Dana: No, we have millions of dollars tied up in this promo campaign for UFC 200, you will ****ing be here, period, end of story.

Connors People: THIS IS CONNOR MCGREGOR WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE, BUD.

Dana: I don't care, (threatened some kind of hard core sanction)

Connor, stunned, not realizing he didn't enjoy infinite privilege in the organization and with the UFC brass themselves, in a fit of collapsing "Golden Child Syndrome", claims he will retire instead.

I can totally understand both sides of that coin. Sometimes you gotta dance for your supper and Conor don't wanna dance right now.

But he sells a fight like nobody else, so maybe he should be given a pass. But giving him a pass, everyone will want one. Such a tough spot.

Wow. Bendo got annihilated at 170 by Koreshkov in Bellator debut. It was like a little kid fighting a man.

50-45 three times. Coulda been 50-43. Bendo was throwing pillows, takedowns were awful. Amazing.

Wow. Bendo got annihilated at 170 by Koreshkov in Bellator debut. It was like a little kid fighting a man.

50-45 three times. Coulda been 50-43. Bendo was throwing pillows, takedowns were awful. Amazing.

Between that fight and trying to chase my losses with a whopper on Pettis, I am a lock for a losing year this year... and it's April.

Personal tragedy aside, Bendo should not fight at 170 anyway, Koreshkov is legit... but per MMA logic, him beating Bendo that badly is further legitimization of Ben Askren.

• 3 weeks later...

Diaz/McGregor headlining 200 is proof that the rumour about Zuffa shopping the UFC is true.

They are in full cash extraction mode. That was probably one of the better selling fights of all time but a rematch isn't nearly as compelling as the first, never mind being significant enough as headliner/co-headliner for a monumental event like UFC 200, but they're now just trying to wring out every last short-term nickle they can.

PPV cash grab. they're trying to sell the promotion, they don't give a shit about anyone or anything.

The hell you say!

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15503004/ufc-owners-advanced-talks-sell-promotion

Why else would they have tried to put an utterly meaningless fight like that to headline such an important event as UFC 200?

It wasn't hard to deconstruct their motivations.

What would change the game is if they could somehow muster a dominant Oriental belt holder. If that market ever gets a Connor McGregor, forget it. There's part of me that wants to see the Chinese get the UFC because I know the lengths their state run overseers would go to to make that happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No there is no dumber fighter, possibly no dumber human being.

We already saw that the UFC has no integrity when they kept him after the whole hit and run thing, which itself came after a cocaine bust (testing positive). If that had been a random Top 15 featherweight, they'd have been gone from the UFC immediately but they kept him. #1 fighter in the world and what not. At this point, he needs to go. Make an example out of him; in spite of your skills, we just aren't going to tolerate massive character issues so let this be an example to every fighter in the promotion when we cut Jon Jones and never bring him back.

Even if they wanted him back, he may get a 2 year nap from USADA.... in the absolute prime of his career. At that point, his only option is to go fight overseas, which might be viable in the Orient but would be a huge step down (for, literally, the best single fighter on the planet. We're not talking an "NBA Caliber Guy" playing in Italy. We're talking LeBron James playing semi-pro ball in Rumania)

The wildcard here is that he may be telling the truth; it's entirely possible that he took an exotic supplement that landed him on the radar. The thing is, the 'supplements' they have these days aren't like the supplements of old days where you ate a capsule of dried rose petals and a little ginseng. It's hard core chemically engineered shit from Russia and China (and here) that exists outside of regulatory gravity simply because it's just way too complicated for legislators to keep up with unless someone famous dies (or hits 70 homeruns).

USADA is pretty good at keeping up with it, though. If you're the #1 Pound for Pound Mixed Martial Artist on earth (in the fastest growing sport on earth), you can't really plead ignorance and expect people to take you seriously... or, if you really are that ignorant and take SuproAndraDihoxichloride Stack-54 (Three Phase Cycle, #1 With Bodybuilders In Kazakhstan!) anyway, then you're too ****ing stupid to deserve what you have and you belong fighting for hamburgers in Peoria's franchise of King of the Ring.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when has the fight game given a shit about character issues? If he can still fight after two years (and probably even if he can't), he'll be back for the first card he's eligible for. I understand people are angry, because they feel like they've been cheated out of watching the best in the world fight in his prime, but that won't stop a single person from watching him the second he comes back.

• Like 2

In the UFC's case, it would be a pure business decision.

The problem with character issues on Jonses level is that they interfere with basic operations. At that point, it begins to make sense to cut someone like that to 'prove a point' especially considering that- unlike boxing where there are 17 belts and numerous viable promotions- there really isn't another option for him. It's not like "going to another team" works in MMA... and if there's one thing we can learn from Don King, it's that the only way to run fight sports is with total ruthlessness because these aren't people you reason with. They only understand harsh consequences and terrifying examples.

Do I care that he took some supplement? Not in the slightest.

Is he the best P4P fighter in the world? Absolutely.

If I were in charge of the UFC, would I issue him a ban? As a business decision, yes. This is assuming the larger objective is sincerely to eradicate problem children from the sport. The only way to do that is to take the most valuable, most un-cuttable man in the entire sport and cut him to prove that point.

Told ya so.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a UFC guy but I enjoyed it. Seems like Connor could work on his endurance. When he was fresh (first 1.5 rounds) or when he had an adrenaline rush (round 4), he was far superior to Diaz. Looked like he got exhausted really quickly though.