**official Mma Thread**

Thinking over my favorite fighters to close out 2014.

Erick Silva, Frank Edgar and Roy Nelson haven't changed.

Adding Big Ben Rothwell to the favorite list.

Yes, he outkicked his coverage by chinning Overeem, yes, this is as far as it goes for him in the HWD but in looking over his fights, he fights so smart.

http://tuvatv.ru/video/5BHG4UX6NUBM/Alistair-Overeem-vs-Ben-Rothwell

This is in contrast to a HW like Mitrione who I also like very much but fights dumber than a monkey.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

I don't mind Stann. I was watching best of WEC today and Bonnar is a really really good announcer. I hope they try him at some point.

I know this is probably a silly complaint but does anyone notice how Anik and Florian say "that" like a billion times per fight? See if you notice it next time they announce together. I had to mute the last fight I was watching because it was bothering me so much.

Anik does it on his own without Florian, so if Florian is gone just listen to Anik do it

I could be wrong but I'm guessing the only reason Mir is still with the UFC is because he has some kind of 10 fight contract or something like that? The guy is donezo

Anik is really the worst, though. I don't understand why they've stuck with him and given him everything Rogan doesn't do. He wasn't good on the live TUF when I first noticed him, and I don't think he's improved. I like Florian. Stann is better. But they need someone better than Anik for all the free cards.

I have a soft spot for Anik because I read his ESPN MMA chats for a year or so before he got the job, which he always admitted was his dream job.

I'll admit that he isn't great. He's too hype or something.

He's just not good. I don't know the replacement options. But he's never been good, and he isn't getting better.

The "dream job" aspect makes sense, because he still treats the whole gig that way. The commentary, the interviews...none of it demands anything resembling respect. If you say the next person in line is worse, than fine, but there has to be decent play-by-play MMA guys somewhere.

usa-today-5963438.0.jpg

For god sake someone teach that ****ing hobo how to dress in big-boy clothes.

I hope Hapa kills him.

Small bets on Eddie Gordon and Lawler/Hendricks goes to a Decision @ -115, athough Hendricks looked out of peak condition at the weigh ins.

Doing a test cut. Thats wild. Probably do 185 at first, then work hard to make 170

Great card tonight. Worth the overtime I intend to work to specifically pay for it. Dont need to, but feel obligated to

It's time for Rory MacDonald to take this division over.

The CM Punk stuff is stupid to me. I guess there are a lot of crossover wwe/ufc fans? Brock was interesting because he looks like a monster. Nothing about this guy excited me

I think Hendricks won on technical measures but his very annoying wall-and-stalling probably cost him too much sentiment in the eyes of the judges.

The Reebok deal means the end of fight sponsors in the ring, so no more shorts or intro banners starting in Summer of 2015. They say that 100% of the money goes to the fighters with the big chunk to the champs, then a paygrade for Top 5, then a paygrade for 6-10 and apparently, no money outside the top 10. An incentive to get into the top 10? Yeah, but horrible for the average joe guys who will never be top 10, get paid $6K per fight and now can't even make the extra few bucks their sponsors paid to be on their banner or shorts. Not liking the Reebok deal.

If its meaningful, then fine but if they're cutting off a revenue stream so Cain Velasquez can get 50% while all the other HWs fight for crumbs, that kind of a problem.

Not to say that people are of equal value in terms of their marketability, they are not, but making the whole promotion work with a fixed distribution rate precludes fighters who may not be highly ranked but are otherwise marketable from plying their craft.

• Like 1

I haven't read all of the details, but it does seem to benefit the top tier, who also make the biggest checks. So, why does the UFC do this deal? Are they getting money? Why not let the guys on the undercard get some revenue from their local sponsors? Seems shitty.

Didn't the UFC make all sponsors pay them money for the rights to be on trunks anyway? I remember that when the Affliction thing was going on.

What does Jones do? He can't wear Reebok shorts? Is it like the NFL when people with Reebok contracts have to wear the swoosh on their jersey and pants?

Move Thomson and Green down quite a bit and holy shit at this weight class. Masdival should be top 10

Champion : Anthony Pettis

1 Khabib Nurmagomedov

1 2 Gilbert Melendez

1 3 Rafael dos Anjos

4 Donald Cerrone

5 Benson Henderson

6 Edson Barboza

7 Josh Thomson

8 Myles Jury

9 Bobby Green

10 Jim Miller

11 Eddie Alvarez

12 Michael Johnson

13 Jorge Masvidal

14 Nate Diaz

15 Rustam Khabilov

Now lets say I own a place in Miami where Masvidal is a local hero and I want to buy a slot on his banner.

I cannot, nor does he get any money from the Reebok deal.

Now lets say I own a place in Miami where Masvidal is a local hero and I want to buy a slot on his banner.

I cannot, nor does he get any money from the Reebok deal.

You can still sponsor him if you love him so much! He just won't wear your stuff at fights.

I wonder how much "people finders," "condom depot," "dynamic fastener," and other sponsors were paying these lower tiered guys anyways. I can't imagine more than they would get in the reebok deal. I am not knowledgeable on this though so take my comments with a grain of salt, I just can't picture these random companies paying the fighters substantially.