**official Mma Thread**

It's an area of regulation that has huge gaps.

For example, you can be charged with DUI for having certain metabolites in your system even if you aren't currently impaired.

Courts are starting to address this, an Arizona court just struck down a DUI conviction on the presence of pot metabolites (which can stay in the system for upwards of 30 days) but the fact that someone actually got convicted on that basis- and there are still places where you can be convicted of impaired driving even if you aren't impaired- is scary enough.

The ************ with pot in combat sports is that it absolutely does have a meaningful impact on pain. I'm a total drug deregulation advocate and in any other sport, pot would be mostly/completely irrelevant but in combat sports, it's a tricky thing since it may be a PED.

A friend of mine who's a pretty serious MMA guy in regional promotions told me stories about really low rent local MMA shows where the fighters would be in the parking lot hitting the pipe moments before the fight smoking meth or PCP then get in the ring wired as ****.

I don't know what the correct answer is but I do know the Diaz brothers, much like Ricky Williams, are absolutely ****ing retards if they're going to let pot stand in the way of a multi-million dollar career in professional athletics.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Can you take that last bet back? I don't care if it was +2080, there is zero chance that fight goes 5 rounds.

Ok, fine, anything can happen, I'll give you a 5% chance.

So awful.

I didn't even consider it was a 5'er and not a 3.

You are correct.

I'll leave it on as a $10 flier but yes, I totally neglected to consider that hugely relevant, plainly obvious variable.

I guess I'll just have to accept that I can't maintain an edge on MMA betting without being hard-line on every fight like I used to be.

Can't wait for tomorrow! We're planning on getting there right after the chick fight because nobody wants to see that crap, so we got 10 fights to watch.

Amscray I think Bermudez is going to kill Guida, why do you like Guida??

Bellator tonight (lol)

Liam McGeary looks like a serious sicko. He needs to be in the ufc.

Two really late stoppages to start the show, I wonder when someone is going to die in a bigger organization. These refs are bad, one of them was Big John who is usually good

Can't wait for tomorrow! We're planning on getting there right after the chick fight because nobody wants to see that crap, so we got 10 fights to watch.

Amscray I think Bermudez is going to kill Guida, why do you like Guida??

I don't have a big bet on it.

Because Clay Guida is Clay Guida. He's entirely his own thing. Bermudez hasn't faced anything like that yet This is his first big-boy fight and I think Clay's a good punt in the (+) range since he knows how to handle wrestlers, his entire recent career is fighting top competition and he doesn't lose to anyone but top guys. It's not a bet I'd be bothered to lose but Guida is constantly fighting Top 10, Top 5 guys where Bermudez streak is a canfest. This is the fight that will determine where he stands. Guida is a legit test. If Bermudez beats him decisively, he's probably one away from a shot at the strap.

Beware, it's not like the not-too-distant old days where I'd watch the 5 most recent fights of each guy and meticulously dissect everything that happened to make an information-based estimation. This is retard betting here.

A fighter is on his knees with the face to the mat, covering his head with his arms and gloves.

The other fighter is trying to drop bombs on his opponent, but he can't get in a clean shot, he is just hitting the other guy in his arms and gloves.

The ref is yelling "defend yourself"

Should the fight be stopped or should both fighters be stood up? The guy on the ground is not close to out, but he is not defending himself, the striker is not close to getting in a clean punch.

If he is just turtling and not trying to make any effort to get up, but no clean bombs are getting through, you give it a 10 seconds tops, and even that seems long. Gotta do something, monkey roll, grab a wrist, make some effort to stand. If not, you're not fighting, you're taking a beating. Arm punches hurt and will make you usless in throwing punches.

I forgot tonight was your card. Have fun, trip report that shit

Just messing around with a bunch of dogs for $20 each

Guida +155 :)

Green +210

Cruickshank +200

Stahl +125

De la Torre +140

Perpetuo +190

Brown didn't look great at weigh ins. I hope he isn't too burnt out from the weight cut

I wonder if he would dropped the other 1.5lbs if he was give to the 2 hours.

His gas tank might be shit.

Gotta bet Guida as a dog. That douche can always crap up a fight and muck out a decision.

I thought rounds 1 and 5 were solid. 2,3,4 they kind of settled into a sparring sort of groove. Nobody was in the pocket, no great combos. Lol at a decision.

Happy to see Guida lose.

Rumble is scary. He's a legit contender to Bones, right? Or Cormier. I think he can out strike anyone. Bones' length may be challenging for him

At this point, Bermudez is a Top 5 guy.

Their boy McGregor only cracked into the 9 spot, does Bermudez bypass him? THAT would be a great fight and really test Conner. A wrestler who can submit people. Isn't Poirier more of a standup guy as well?

little nog needs to retire.

I remember when they announced the fights on the card I had to double check to see if the Johnson Noguiera fight was for real. Just did not seem like a good matchup

I'll give a tr later. I was pretty disappointed with the experience overall but the last two fights got me pretty jacked up and I would do it again

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads. You could absolutely see nothing if they were on the ground, you couldn't see them if they were against the cage (unless it is your side of the cage). So close to the ring but just garbage seats. Also, they are just fold out chairs and you are sitting shoulder to shoulder with people.

The only good thing our floor seats did give us was access to take pictures or get autographs from people like Cain Velasquez, Vitor, Matt Hughes, Dana White, etc. I did not do this because I'm not a douchebag. I've never seen so many roided up looking assholes act like schoolgirls and freak out and run to the barrier to take a selfie with a famous person.

We moved very early on into the cheaper seats in the lower section but corner of the arena. The non-floor seats give you a pretty good view of the whole octagon, but they are too far away. We thought it was better than the floor seats though. The seats were padded and comfortable.

Concessions - They are selling $500 championship belts that grown men are buying. Unbelievable. I bought a Philly cheesesteak which was very good $8.50, fries $4.50, 2 beers $9 each, and a red hat that just says UFC on it $28 (I probably won't wear the hat ever again)

Fights - We showed up in the middle of the girls fight. So we saw pretty much 11 fights. It was a little too long and we got kind of bored. If I had to do it again id probably say not going to the fight pass fights and just show up at the beginning of prelims or even the middle of prelims. I thought 6 fights would have been enough, 8 fights my limit. 11 was too much

Overall the early fights were lackluster, I don't think this had to do with our seats or the viewing experience, just the lack of knockouts. Early on I was thinking that I'd rather be at home watching on TV, but in the last 2 fights the crowd was crazy and it was way more fun then it would have been watching on TV. So I blame my non-enjoyment of the early fights on the fights sucking, not because watching live mma is bad or anything.

The Thompson and Green fight made me really mad. Green talks shit every time he gets hit in the face. Literally every time. How about doing it the other way around for once, you know hitting a guy first then talking shit. That guy is annoying as hell.

After seeing Guida's full routine live I'm not a fan anymore. After he almost gets finished in the first, he runs around the ring 3 times to show that he has cardio or something. When they are announcing the winner after he got choked the F out he is bouncing around and shadowboxing. He just got dominated and it's like he doesn't even notice.

Cummings looked like an absolute beast, but a beast in a way that Ben Askren is a beast. He'll sit on you all day and there's nothing you can do about it. I thought it was impressive to see him completely break down Kingsbury like that, but I can also see how his wrestling only style can piss most people off

Last 2 fights - Johnson knock out was incredibly fun to watch and fans went crazy. After that I was a little mad that we didn't see more of those especially since we got there early to see a lot of fights. The Brown Lawler fight was great, to me it was the only fight that seemed to me like a true mma fight. It felt like the quickest 5 round match I've ever seen probably because I was so into it. I was just a little let down because I didn't think there was enough closure. I thought Lawler clearly won, but Brown held his own, I was hoping with those 2 guys there would have been a clear winner and someone finished at some point.

TJ Dillashaw and Uriah Faber look like little boys close up.

Cain Velasquez doesn't look that big close up.

Going in I thought the octagon was going to look smaller than on TV, but it actually looked way bigger.

Dana White and Joe Rogan look like the same person. I guess all bald white people look alike.

Vitor cornered for someone in a fight and fans were yelling negative shit at him the whole time and he kept turning to the fans and waving. I think he thought everyone was cheering for him. He's a dumbass.

There was only one ring girl that was kind of flat chested, not impressed.

Daniel Cormier trains in San Jose and he was commentating in the fox sports booth. When they were doing the preview for ufc 178 the fans gave him like a 3 minute standing ovation. That was pretty fun

• Like 3

Good report, funny and informative, and I'd probably feel the same about all of it. Especially the selfie douches and grown men buying a belt.

I too hated Green. Just fight. He wanted to talk shit after every hit and there was too many smiles and high fives.

This is new to me, but has anyone ever seen LonelyVirgil.net?

Apparently Virgil (the black guy who played a WWF character with Ted DiBiasse in the 80's) just goes around to the most crazy random places (like, Flea Markets, etc), sets up that booth that basically says "I'm Virgil" and sits around waiting for someone to care, then tries to sell them shit.

I've never had the space between hysterical laughter to overwhelming sadness be any narrower than in reading that site.

That is funny/sad. But would it be sadder if he delivered your pizza?

As an aside, gotta love the racial stereotyping in wrestling. I'd say "older wrestling" but I'm sure they still dabble in it.