**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

I am not an MMA fan, but I am kind of trying to get into it, so I've been lurking in this thread a fair amount. The biggest barrier, I think, to my MMA fanhood is my observation that public MMA fans are the absolute dregs. Go to a public place showing a fight on a Saturday night, look at the average bill, and then look at the look on ever single waitresses's face. I have a few friends that wait tables, each in a distinctly different atmosphere and economic sphere. They agree on two things

1) Black people are worse tippers than white people.

2) The only thing worse than black people is every single person who comes to watch the fight on fight night, orders five 22oz beers and an appetizer, stays for 4 hours at the same table, and leaves a $1.43 tip.

I know nothing about any of this shit, but I know I ****ing hate the people that think they do.

Sorry. That being said, I hope to be conversant by the new year.

Antonio Silva has a genetic disorder. Wait, I'll look it uo

Acromegaly, or gigantism

As far as Nic's assessment, while I don't disagree too much, MMA, and combat sports in general can be an expensive sport to be a fan of. Every month there is a PPV and unless you want a crappy illegal feed or have friends that can split the cost, you won't get to watch a lot of fights. Heck, I've seen people that sit at the bar or table and milk a soda for 4 hours. I've considered doing it but I can't sit in a bar for that long and not drink. It would be too boring. I was even gonna just throw the server $15-$20 to keep the refills coming. Your tipping commentary is probably youth related more than cultural, although the blacks are bad, as a rule.

The biggest barrier, I think, to my MMA fanhood is my observation that public MMA fans are the absolute dregs.

It's 100% true.

MMA fans are literally the. worst. sports fans on the planet. You want to see the all-around worst human beings on earth, go to Hooters on fight night. The whole "Watching MMA Events in Public is Completely Intollerable" phenomenon is pretty widely acknowledged on various MMA forums.

The only saving grace as of late is the enormous number of free fights on TV given the UFCs deal with Fox. As far as pay cards, though. yes. You either split it with friends, illegally stream or watch the videos when they're posted on the Russian sites 20 minutes after the fight, before they're taken down 24 hours later.

the guys in my boxing and kickboxing classes are always talking about ufc so I started watching. lots to figure out regarding who's good at what, and how they match up with each other. crazy that there's a ppv every month, guess i'll have to buy an affliction t-shirt and hit up hooters.

You guys need to find new places to go. I have fun just sitting at random bars and watching. Yeah a lot of mma fans are wiggers, but I usually meet a lot of cool people at ufc ppv's at bars. It is just annoying when you get in a conversation with someone who has no idea what they are talking about and I just have to nod my ahead and agree because I want the conversation to end.

Every once in awhile I go up to Montbleu in Lake Tahoe to watch. It is always a good time.

MMA fans are notorious for being douchey exclusionists to people that don't really know the sport. I try not to be that way but catch myself doing it every now and then, mostly to people on tv. I let it slide with people that don't know the sport in person, unless they are arrogant.

The crowd in SoFL can be a tad douchey, not as horrible in Central FL, but similar. What I'm finding is that the UFC is pricing the decent, one off bars out of the market. Only the chains are carrying it now because of how expensive it is.

MMA fans are notorious for being douchey exclusionists to people that don't really know the sport.

Being an intelligent MMA fan is like being among the wealthy elite in Haiti.

You live walled off by necessity and stick to your own kind.You cannot just 'go socialize' in a downtown Port Au Prince watering hole, or, if you do, don't be shocked by what you encounter.

• Like 2

What I'm finding is that the UFC is pricing the decent, one off bars out of the market. Only the chains are carrying it now because of how expensive it is.

Brutally bad strategy on the part of the UFC if true., although *edit* now that I think of it, it's deductible as business expense and bars/liquor is a high margin product, so there should be room for it on their end of the year tax outlay.

If their liquidity picure is so bad that UFC cards are going to tip the ship, they're doomed regardless but I talk from my ass. I don't know what the UFC is charging.

Antonio Silva has a genetic disorder. Wait, I'll look it uo

Acromegaly, or gigantism

As far as Nic's assessment, while I don't disagree too much, MMA, and combat sports in general can be an expensive sport to be a fan of. Every month there is a PPV and unless you want a crappy illegal feed or have friends that can split the cost, you won't get to watch a lot of fights. Heck, I've seen people that sit at the bar or table and milk a soda for 4 hours. I've considered doing it but I can't sit in a bar for that long and not drink. It would be too boring. I was even gonna just throw the server $15-$20 to keep the refills coming. Your tipping commentary is probably youth related more than cultural, although the blacks are bad, as a rule.

I sympathize with the people who find payperview prohibitively expensive, but my sympathy doesn't last long. Stuart Weitzman's are expensive, too, but that doesn't mean every cunt saving for a pair has the right to be an asshole in public.

And are young people generally poor tippers? I've always thought old people are the worst, tip wise. "Here you go, sonny. Here's two bits. Don't spend it all in one place" and all that jazz.

It's 100% true.

MMA fans are literally the. worst. sports fans on the planet. You want to see the all-around worst human beings on earth, go to Hooters on fight night. The whole "Watching MMA Events in Public is Completely Intollerable" phenomenon is pretty widely acknowledged on various MMA forums.

The only saving grace as of late is the enormous number of free fights on TV given the UFCs deal with Fox. As far as pay cards, though. yes. You either split it with friends, illegally stream or watch the videos when they're posted on the Russian sites 20 minutes after the fight, before they're taken down 24 hours later.

Yeah I was coincidentally at a Hooters on fight night, once, and my waitress was so frustrated that I honestly felt terrible. I asked her to change a small TV near us to a basketball game. She lit up light a Christmas tree and was about the best waitress I've ever had. She spent hours going on about how much she hated UFC night. Bought us all a round more than once. I feel like she would have given me a blowjob under the table if I asked nicely.

I think people,have to be taught how to tip and people are becoming cheaper by the minute. From south fl, I found that all the old by Jews took care of me the best because that's how you got stuff done in ny.

I had a client that ran a private investigation business and was hired for every pov by the UFC to scout out bars showing illegal feeds. I had to notarize her form for her.

The gm's I've talked to is that the ufc charges by your capacity, so if you have a big joint, it can cost upwards of $2500 to air the fight. Some people, like me and my guest can generate $150 bar tabs, mostly booze. But there is also a bunch of soda sippers. You can see them all around the place. That doesn't make their nut. I know of 4 places locally that just stopped showing them. Now I have to go to a chain. Although the place on Saturday was a one off, but the owners own like 8 places in Orlando, so that doesn't count. And their seating capacity is small comparatively.

From south fl, I found that all the old by Jews took care of me the best because that's how you got stuff done in ny.

Between their roots in urban centers where bribery is basically the base operating model (Chicago is notorious for this- you do good work, you tip everyone here) and the younger ones fear of living up to negative stereotypes, Jews are *absolutely* the best tippers.

Weird to see you mention that, was literally having this exact same conversation not even a couple weeks ago.

I just rewatched the Diego/Gilbert fight..... damn

AND consider you could've bought Diego at fight time for +465, he opened at +250 and the line moved against him like a freight train

starting 1 October (<- I wrote it backwards like Europeans do)

I deeply thank poker from defining 'results oriented thinking' and learning how to avoid that trap. It completely reoriented how I look at shit and my decision-making is a billion times better as a result (on everything except life-ruining use of hard narcotics). If I were to try and explain to most people that biggest mistake I made was betting Boetsch (that I won) and not betting more on Diego by Decision (a bet I lost in spite of being the best bet I made of the night), they wouldn't even begin to grasp the concept.

Rewatched Nelson Cormier.

Respect mainatined for Nelson. He wasn't ever going to beat DC but it was a totally respectable showing given just what he was up against.

When your TDD and "Get Back Up'ness" occasionally gives fits to an Olympic wrestler, you're damn good at it.

TDD, chin and the ability to counter/time overhand rights. He's never going to contend but I'll always like the guy if for nothing other than being the janitor of the hwd.

Between their roots in urban centers where bribery is basically the base operating model (Chicago is notorious for this- you do good work, you tip everyone here) and the younger ones fear of living up to negative stereotypes, Jews are *absolutely* the best tippers.

Weird to see you mention that, was literally having this exact same conversation not even a couple weeks ago.

This, for the most part. I think Jews tipping ranges tend to be very polarized, compared to other groups. If a random Jewish man sits down at your table, you know that you can expect that he'll either be a very generous tipper, or a fucking Jew, with no inbetween. Like AmScray says, there's a real self-consciousness that goes along with being a younger Jew that works in the service industry's favor, though in my experience there are still tons of stingy old bastards out there who don't give a fuck. Some of the best tippers I've ever met have been older Jewish men, but so, too, have some of the worst.

I used to be roommates with a jew. This kid had money and refused to let me turn on the heater during the winter because he didn't want to pay extra on the bill. Lol jews