**official Mma Thread**

TUF Finale:Brookins showed some major heart. I thought for sure Johnson was going to drop him, but Johnson showed what plagued him throughout the season and that was his endurance.On the Nam Phan Leonard Garcia fight. I don't get it. I mean sure the fans love Phan ... but you have to take every round as it's own little fight if you are a judge. Round 1 could have easily gone either way. While I was watching it I actually gave Garcia the upperhand but would understand if Nam had won it. Garcia, although his style is more outlandish, was being the agressor for most of the round and that is what the judges want to see. Round 2 was all Phan. No debate there. Round 3 again could have gone either way depending on what you were loooking for. Nam just didn't show the killer instinct. Garcia was still throwing punches and kicks with FULL power with 1 minute left. For Nam to have won the round outright I would have liked to see him counter Garcia when Garcia was looking most tired. However it looked like Nam was also tired so he didn't take advantage of Garcia after Garcia threw all his weight into a barrage. Sure Nam is more technical, but Garcia was more of the agressor in Rounds 1 and 3 and I believe that is why he ultimately won the fight. Thoughts?

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Thoughts?
I think Phan definitely won the fight. Garcia was the agressor in the 3rd round but he wasn't really landing anything while Phan was backing off but still landing punches.I don't think there should be an uproar about it though. It was a lot closer than Joe Rogan and everyone else thought it was. Phan should have won, but he could have been more agressive towards the end to put it out of the judges hands.I understand he took a fight on short notice, but everytime I see Garcia fight he gasses like crazy. His fights are entertaining, but he needs to come up with a different game plan if he wants to be a threat in the division.
I think Phan definitely won the fight. Garcia was the agressor in the 3rd round but he wasn't really landing anything while Phan was backing off but still landing punches.I don't think there should be an uproar about it though. It was a lot closer than Joe Rogan and everyone else thought it was. Phan should have won, but he could have been more agressive towards the end to put it out of the judges hands.I understand he took a fight on short notice, but everytime I see Garcia fight he gasses like crazy. His fights are entertaining, but he needs to come up with a different game plan if he wants to be a threat in the division.
I guess that was my main thought and Rogan should have shut his mouth about it and accepted that it was a close fight and maybe said again what Dana always says"Never leave it in the hands of the judges!"

GSP...I don't even know what else to say about this guy that people haven't already said. Like Rogan said, "Now what? Who can really compete with him in his weight class?" I don't care who they give him really. I like watching him pick people apart. I was impressed by Alvez and Struve too.

GSP...I don't even know what else to say about this guy that people haven't already said. Like Rogan said, "Now what? Who can really compete with him in his weight class?" I don't care who they give him really. I like watching him pick people apart. I was impressed by Alvez and Struve too.
Yea pretty much as dominant on his feet as he is at the ground and take down game. Props to Kos for taking that beating and for stuffing GSP like no onther has been able to do. That eye was alien like at the end.Alves was very impressive too. Actually a good card of fights for a watered down card. Wow still cant believe how Stevenson was out for so long from that glancing fall away shot from Danzig. he has been in there with so many greats at 155 but it seems like he might be done.

I liked the whole card. The Danzig knockout was nuts and tough to see anyone at 170 that can give GSP a go. Its funny that Freddy Roach came out like a week ago and basically said GSP's game plan.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ONE TIME DEALER!!!!!!!!!!This can't happen within the next 12 months, but this is the MMA fight of the decade if it could ever get put together .....http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/1212...rges-st-pierre/Pound for pound greats and UFC champions Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre seem destined to meet in the cage at some point in the near future. Though both men are currently obligated to bouts (Silva is due in the cage against Vitor Belfort this February 5th and St. Pierre is fighting Jake Shields next, possibly this April at the first-ever UFC show to be held in Toronto), talk of a super fight between the two has been heating up.All parties involved (including UFC president Dana White) have expressed interest in the bout, with St. Pierre indicating that he will only move to middleweight naturally and permanently. According to White, were St. Pierre to move to middleweight, their bout would be for the title; however, the idea has been brought up that the two could meet at a catchweight below 185-pounds.oh, and Silva KILLS GSP if this does happen btw

oh, and Silva KILLS GSP if this does happen btw
I just can't see that happening. GSP just never seems to slow down, and the thought of him being bulkier and stronger would make him pretty scary. Not to say that I think he will win, it just won't be a quick fight.

Yea after seeing what Sonnen was able to do against Silva I call this fight a coinflip. Silva has never looked too good against wrestlers but his bjj bailed him out against Sonnen and Hendo. With GSP's underated(until now) striking he can hold his own there too when the takedown isnt there. I heard speculation thta August in Cowboys stadium is what they might be aiming for. This fight could take MMA even higher. Real curious to see the ppv numbers from saturday. If we dont hear an announcement of a Sheilds fight between now and Febuary 5th i bet Slilva whats next for GSP.

In my mind there are 4 moves in MMA history that are almost beyond description. Rampage powerbombing Arona, Aldo's double knee knockout, and Hazelett's whizzer-to-armbar are the first three. This one is number one and by a pretty huge margin.sxp1yg.gif12.gifWelcome to the UFC, Showtime.

In my mind there are 4 moves in MMA history that are almost beyond description. Rampage powerbombing Arona, Aldo's double knee knockout, and Hazelett's whizzer-to-armbar are the first three. This one is number one and by a pretty huge margin.sxp1yg.gif12.gifWelcome to the UFC, Showtime.
Yea pretty awesome. See it was all over the sports casts today too.

Anybody give any thought to the rumors about that kick being staged? Just because Henderson tapped his foot up against the gate and then backpedalled into perfect position right before it happened? I completely disagree, but how does a kick like that land?!?!

Anybody give any thought to the rumors about that kick being staged? Just because Henderson tapped his foot up against the gate and then backpedalled into perfect position right before it happened? I completely disagree, but how does a kick like that land?!?!
I wouldn't give any thought into that. I watched a video of Pettis practicing the kick. It's something he works on all the time.Jamie Varner has definitely gone downhill fast. I wonder if he will even be given a UFC contract? Probably not. I read an article mentioning that it would be great if Dominic Cruz and Urijah Faber coached The Ultimate Fighter. It would be cool if they did that and had a bunch of WEC guys who were cut as contestants.
  • 2 weeks later...

Very entertaining card. I scored it 47-47 myself with Maynard having a 10-8 in the first and winning the third. The fifth was really close but I just thought Edgar was a little crisper. Leben went into slugfest mode way to early imo. i think he is a way better fighter when he is more techinically sound and waits till later on to start going for broke. Thiago Silva looked really good. How many chances does Vera get?

Very entertaining card. I scored it 47-47 myself with Maynard having a 10-8 in the first and winning the third. The fifth was really close but I just thought Edgar was a little crisper. Leben went into slugfest mode way to early imo. i think he is a way better fighter when he is more techinically sound and waits till later on to start going for broke. Thiago Silva looked really good. How many chances does Vera get?
I had the fight a draw as well.I can't tell you how impressed I am with Frankie Edgar. Sadly, we only have a handful of people who read these posts..........but WOW. That kid has more heart than anyone I have ever seen. I feel like he has taken the term work ethic and determination to a whole new level. Win, lose or draw........I will always be a fan of his. Not just as far as the UFC goes, but in life. To overcome that kind of punishment and to have the desiere to move on. God bless him. Maynard fought a good fight. He clearly has the tools to beat Edgar. But..........well, enough of that.Vera is done. I think he is an example of someone with some talent and no heart. Silva looked pretty good. Showed signs of improvement. Overall a pretty decent card imo. I don't have anything bad to say. I feel like it was worth the money. The main fight alone was worth the cost imo.