**official Mma Thread**

picking gsp is pretty much a no brainer there mir/carwin i agree mir is over confident in his stand up but i see him taking this one to the ground and with his new body i think he can keep carwin down and either pulling out a submission or a decision alves/fitch unless alves learned anything from the gsp fight, fitch will win this rematch with his wrestling again.diaz/markham i think this weight will be better for diaz, he is on a much better diet now and will have more energy so i see this one going his way

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Agree with GSP. I think all Hardy talk is people convincing themselves that GSP is vulnerable. I don't think so.Ellenberger is a tough, tough guy. Those last two fights of his were very eye opening to me. Always liked Saunders, too. Staying away from that.Think Mir/Carwin is accurate. Will be really pulling for Shane. Gonzaga couldn't keep him down very long, hopefully Mir can't either. Being five round really benefits Carwin i think, longer chances to catch him on the feet rather than lose a technical decision.Not sure how Markham is supposed to beat Diaz other than Diaz pulling guard and not pulling off a sub and Markham getting a weak decision.Opened Almeida big and like it. Only worries are knee injury and weight cut. Baffled by the ads for this event. Where is all the hype for Fitch/Alves? Two top 10 p4p in a lot of rankings, something that hardly ever happens, and is getting totally overlooked. Fitch at +120 looks pretty but I'm not betting this fight, either.
Yea its the fight I am most looking forward to on the card. Fitch looked a little lackluster in his last fight or else I would take him +120

no replacement for thiago, there just going to move kurt pellegrino vs fabricio camoes into the ppv cardedit: another last minute change, ben saunders will now fill in for thiago alves, and jake ellenberger will be given his show and win purse for the last minute change

My picks for Saturday.Matt BrownNate DiazKurt PellegrinoBen SaundersShane CarwinDan HardyWelterweight Matchup - Ricardo Almeida vs Matt Brown 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Ricardo Almeida -155 Bet vs Matt Brown +125 Bet Welterweight Matchup - Nate Diaz vs Rory Markham 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Nate Diaz -300 Bet vs Rory Markham +230 Bet Lightweight Matchup - Kurt Pellegrino vs Fabricio Camoes 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Kurt Pellegrino -220 Bet vs Fabricio Camoes +180 Bet Welterweight Matchup - Matthew Riddle vs Greg Soto 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Matthew Riddle -220 Bet vs Greg Soto +180 Bet Middleweight Matchup - Rousimar Palhares vs Tomasz Drwal 2010-03-27 19:30 Price Price Rousimar Palhares -240 Bet vs Tomasz Drwal +200 Bet Welterweight Matchup - Jon Fitch vs Ben Saunders 2010-03-27 22:00 Price Price Jon Fitch -500 Bet vs Ben Saunders +350 Bet Heavyweight Championship - Frank Mir vs Shane Carwin 2010-03-27 23:00 Price Price Frank Mir -145 Bet Shane Carwin +115 Bet WelterWeight Championship - Georges St-Pierre vs Dan Hardy 2010-03-27 23:30 Price Price Georges St-Pierre -725 Bet Dan Hardy +525 Bet Lightweight Matchup - Mark Bocek vs Jim Miller 2010-03-28 22:00 Price Price Mark Bocek +300 Bet vs Jim Miller -400 Bet

My picks for Saturday.Matt BrownNate DiazKurt PellegrinoBen SaundersShane CarwinDan HardyWelterweight Matchup - Ricardo Almeida vs Matt Brown 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Ricardo Almeida -155 Bet vs Matt Brown +125 Bet Welterweight Matchup - Nate Diaz vs Rory Markham 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Nate Diaz -300 Bet vs Rory Markham +230 Bet Lightweight Matchup - Kurt Pellegrino vs Fabricio Camoes 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Kurt Pellegrino -220 Bet vs Fabricio Camoes +180 Bet Welterweight Matchup - Matthew Riddle vs Greg Soto 2010-03-27 19:00 Price Price Matthew Riddle -220 Bet vs Greg Soto +180 Bet Middleweight Matchup - Rousimar Palhares vs Tomasz Drwal 2010-03-27 19:30 Price Price Rousimar Palhares -240 Bet vs Tomasz Drwal +200 Bet Welterweight Matchup - Jon Fitch vs Ben Saunders 2010-03-27 22:00 Price Price Jon Fitch -500 Bet vs Ben Saunders +350 Bet Heavyweight Championship - Frank Mir vs Shane Carwin 2010-03-27 23:00 Price Price Frank Mir -145 Bet Shane Carwin +115 Bet WelterWeight Championship - Georges St-Pierre vs Dan Hardy 2010-03-27 23:30 Price Price Georges St-Pierre -725 Bet Dan Hardy +525 Bet Lightweight Matchup - Mark Bocek vs Jim Miller 2010-03-28 22:00 Price Price Mark Bocek +300 Bet vs Jim Miller -400 Bet
Do you think Hardy will actually win or is the price too good to not give it a shot?
Do you think Hardy will actually win or is the price too good to not give it a shot?
I don't expect Hardy to win. He can, but I don't think he will. I like the price. Don't love it, but like it.All of these choices are quick pix. I haven't taken much time. But given the lines, I like my direction.

Like that price on Saunders alot. dont think i would bet Hardy unless i was getting +800 or better. The hype around him is his striking prowess but he went to decision against his last 2 fights against 2nd tier ww's. Thiago was way more dangerous than Hardy in the striking game and GSP had the better of it standing against him. Stranger things have happened though.

Like that price on Saunders alot. dont think i would bet Hardy unless i was getting +800 or better. The hype around him is his striking prowess but he went to decision against his last 2 fights against 2nd tier ww's. Thiago was way more dangerous than Hardy in the striking game and GSP had the better of it standing against him. Stranger things have happened though.
I think Alves was +350 or so if I remember correctly. So that plays into it.My thoughts on GSP are pretty simple. He is the best athlete mma has ever seen. Has some of the best techniques ever. However, I don't think he is a fighter. He's an elite athlete, not a fighter. Guys like Fitch and Kos are the best possible match ups for GSP. They are athletes as well. When you look at Alves, Johnson and Hardy, they are fighters. A fighter has a better chance in this type of a fight.Don't get me wrong, I see GSP with a clear victory. But, GSP has some quit in him. He can be ko'd. Should be a fun fight. We'll see.

I don't like Hardy at all to win, but as far as chances go it will all depend on what his mind set is. If it is I'm going for broke, a la Serra, I like his chances a lot more. If he comes in there to fight a tactical fight like everyone else GSP has fought, then I think he gets taken apart quite easily. I don't see Saunders giving Fitch any problems if Fitch is 100%. As a fan, I really don't care who wins the Carwin/Mir fight. On one hand it would be nice to see some new blood mixing it up in the HW division, but in reality Carwin is not going anywhere if he loses. He will continue to get top tier opponents for at least his next couple of fights. On the other, it would be nice to see Mir look really sharp because I think a really good Mir gives fits to everyone. My underdog picks of the night would have to be Camoes > Pellegrino and Brown > Almeida (even though that's not much of a dog pick).Of course all of this is based on the same faulty logic I have used for the past several events.

My thoughts on GSP are pretty simple. He is the best athlete mma has ever seen. Has some of the best techniques ever. However, I don't think he is a fighter. He's an elite athlete, not a fighter. Guys like Fitch and Kos are the best possible match ups for GSP. They are athletes as well. When you look at Alves, Johnson and Hardy, they are fighters. A fighter has a better chance in this type of a fight.
What makes you think he is not a fighter? Because he got KO'd by Serra? I'm not sure that is fair. I think a lot of people look at GSP this way because he is the well dressed, well spoken fighter without sleeves of tattoos or a colorful mowhawk. I know you aren't putting down his physical game at all, but I think he deserves a little more credit than that. Should be a real good night of fights being guaranteed seven fights with all of them having really good potential.

meh alot of ground not enough pound. GSP looked obssessed with getting a sub from the outset and could have pounded Hardy into the mat if he just did his thing. Mir had that cocky look in his eyes from the outset and it cost him. Was really looking forward to some epic Mir/Lesnar smacktalk if Mir won.

What makes you think he is not a fighter? Because he got KO'd by Serra? I'm not sure that is fair. I think a lot of people look at GSP this way because he is the well dressed, well spoken fighter without sleeves of tattoos or a colorful mowhawk. I know you aren't putting down his physical game at all, but I think he deserves a little more credit than that.
I think last nights fight answered your question better than any of us could. GSP simply does not have the killer instinct. Could have been the most boring title fight in quite some time. At several points we found ourselves not even watching it. He should have been able to put Hardy away any time he wanted to and he simply decided to blanket him. Even when he had the two subs locked in I think he was looking at the ref to stop it instead of breaking the guys arm. Carwin was impressive. Mir never got off and Carwin did exactly what he has done to everyone else. Back em up, drop a bomb, sense blood, and pounce.Palhares is a punk. If you feel the guy tap 10 times you better be ready to let go as soon as you see the ref coming towards you. No excuse for that. Literally...none. I think every fan that boo'd Fitch should be punched in the face. Fitch was 1000% more active than GSP and got boo'd while GSP gets cheered. Just stupid. Not nearly as stupid as Mirgliotta standing them up while Fitch is pounding on Saunder's face though. Fans boo, ref listens. Well played. Pelligrino was an animal. Very impressive. Is it just me or do all of the BJJ guys that come into the UFC have very little cardio? Not sure how Dan Miller own that fight, but whatever. He won round 1, obv lost round 2, and not sure what he did to win round 3. The reversal with 10s left shouldn't mean jack. Glad they showed the fight with those two guys no one has heard of. Goes to show you don't need big names to have exciting fights. Happy to see those two guys get the FOTN bonus.
Report says Vancouver is out as host of 115...possible destination CincySigh. Someday we'll dig our heads out of our asses
Yea saw that one coming. A week ago the city of Abbotsford canceled a MMA expo because they said it woud attract gang members which is a hot button issue in the GVA. And the fact Vancouver always has a bleeding heart city council.

Just want to throw a few comments out regarding the fights from last Saturday. Overall, not a bad card.I hated the Saunders and Hardy fight.I really felt like they both went in there without a true game plan. They both looked really weak on there feet. I suppose it's a bit of a catch 22. If they fully commit to strikes they leave themselves open to being taken down. But they were each in hight risk, high reward situations. So how could they both not go for broke from beginning to end.The Saunders fight was just silly. I know that he likes to smile. But at some point you have to realize that you are being given a huge opportunity and try and..............fight.Hardy has tons of heart, but lacks solid training, and a solid camp. GSP is becoming increasingly concerned with getting hit, playing it safe, etc. The HUGE difference between GSP and Machida, is that Machida is willing to go for the kill. I've always contended that GSP is the best athlete that MMA has ever seen. But he is looking less and less like a fighter with each fight we see. In a lot of ways, it's smart. He will endure the least amount of damage this way, with the highest percentage for success. But is that what the fans and the ufc really want?I loved Carwin, Pellegrino and Diaz. Bocek displayed a lot of heart as well. Sad that he didn't win.Anyone have thoughts regarding the fights for Wed?

Anyone have thoughts regarding the fights for Wed?
I heard Gomi's people demanded a first fight with someone who was not 'a wrestler.' So it's obvious what he fears of the US fighters. With Kenny training with Firas, I'd expect him to come in and take Gomi down whenever he wants and win a decision. Not sure if it's worth the price, though. I think the Nelson/Struve fight is interesting. I guess Nelson is the favorite to just get on top and let the moon keep Struve down, but it's sure an interesting matchup with the guy a foot shorter being 20 pounds heavier.I also like the Linhares/Okami fight. Linhares looked really good and almost tapped Palhares. Okami has been training more in the states, interested to see what/if any adjustments he makes.
Anyone have thoughts regarding the fights for Wed?
Haven't looked at the lines, but I'll comment on the same fights as druryI think this is a tailor made fight for Kenny. I see him taking Gomi down and winning by just about any way he wants to.Same think for Nelson. Look for a take down and gnp followed by an arm lock of some kind. Maybe a crucifix stoppage.I think Okami is going to grind out the win. I don't see him getting KO'd or submitted. I was surprised to see him lose to Sonnen, but then I was shocked to see Sonnen manhandle Marquardt. Linhares is no Sonnen. I would be a little worried that he remembers how bad he was controlled in the Sonnen fight and be afraid to go to the ground. His bread and butter is the GNP though so it should be fun to see Linhares throw sub attempts all night.

got a question for you guys when you guys are betting on the favorite out of curiosity what do you guys bet? I saw the florian at like +350 or something around that. Are you guys laying the 350 to win the 100 or laying less? Always check out the thread don't post as much but have been getting interested in betting on things and wondering do you try and win say maybe 20-30 or laying the full price. thanks

got a question for you guys when you guys are betting on the favorite out of curiosity what do you guys bet? I saw the florian at like +350 or something around that. Are you guys laying the 350 to win the 100 or laying less? Always check out the thread don't post as much but have been getting interested in betting on things and wondering do you try and win say maybe 20-30 or laying the full price. thanks
Florian would be -350 (favorite is always -)...but it sounds like you already knew that and mistyped. My very amateur advice would be to always gamble within your bankroll if you want to do it long term...which would be no more than 5% (possibly as low as 2%) of your bankroll on any given wager. If you are throwing money down for fun then it really doesn't matter. The odds are the same whether you wager 100 or 5.I've put up to 75% of my roll on fights before and sometimes it turns out really good and sometimes Chael Sonnen absolutely destroys someone you thought would be the next champ. So it goes.

Man I wish Gomi woulda done better, he had no answers it felt like. KenFlo just looked so much faster then Gomi.does anyone else not like Nelson, he is just a meh fighter who thinks he is the greatest, I guess time will tell on that one. I dont think he can contended with the likes of Cain, dos Santos or even Gonzaga. Struve is just tall with no chin.Outside of those 2 fights haven't seen the others yet, just got home from work in time to watch the last 2.

LOL at the French dude talking smack about how he was going to show how tough French fighters are then quitting because "his wrist hurt." Then another LOL at Chuck needling Tito about it being like "tapping to strikes."

the fights were all pretty good, dissapointed with gomi a little bit, i expected more out of him, also i think it would be in the best interest in caol uno if he just dropped down to 145 or even 135

I liked the premiere of TUF, hopefully they can put together a few good fights this season. I'm looking forward to seeing 2 guys who actually care about helping the contestants. Rampage was horrible last season.