**official Mma Thread**

I thought Shogun looked very meh at the weigh ins, just not impressive physique compared to the past. And won't ever look Lyoto in the eyes. And AJ, come on..... UFC should just make him go to 185.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Wow that was robbery. I had it 4-1 Rua and it could have been 5-0. Rua looked very good tonight and look forward to seeing him somemore. Machida wont be able to walk or breathe right for weeks.

I had it Machida, but understand I'm in the minority here. Would not have been upset at all if it went Shogun, but I had Lyoto in 2, 3, and 5. I think a lot of people get caught up in Goldberg's hype, he would be amazed someone struck Lyoto, and would fail to mention any counter. IMO, far, far from highway robbery.

I had it Machida, but understand I'm in the minority here. Would not have been upset at all if it went Shogun, but I had Lyoto in 2, 3, and 5. I think a lot of people get caught up in Goldberg's hype, he would be amazed someone struck Lyoto, and would fail to mention any counter. IMO, far, far from highway robbery.
The crowd WASN'T listening to Goldberg's hype. And you heard them at the end.Give me a break. A blind person could have scored this fight for Shogun.Machida had ONE flurry, and even in that flurry, Shogun landed 2 monster shots. Machida limped out of the cage like someone was beating his legs with a baseball bat.
The crowd WASN'T listening to Goldberg's hype. And you heard them at the end.Give me a break. A blind person could have scored this fight for Shogun.Machida had ONE flurry, and even in that flurry, Shogun landed 2 monster shots. Machida limped out of the cage like someone was beating his legs with a baseball bat.
The crowd ALWAYS wants the underdog to win. See any title fight ever, come on.Maybe Shogun was ahead, but it was close, and a decision either way is hard to argue with.Amazing thing for me was Shogun's ability to transform. He went from being an impulsive fighter his entire career to being controlled, and executing a game plan, winning or not doesn't matter, he executed it well, and it is awesome to know he is back.Quick edit... there will be an immediate rematch.

Dana White said both Shogun and Machida agreed to an immediate rematch. Hell, he thought Shogun won as well.I heard someone say that they should have that fight headline 108 (New Year's), because they don't know if Silva/Belfort will draw big numbers. Adding that rematch would definitely stir interest.

fight was definitley rigged for Macida to win, I had 300 dollars with party bets on Rua, they were giving almost 4-1 for Rua. Those corrupt judges cost me a cuba trip, mother ****ERS

I think anyone looking at this fight objectively has to realize it was a close fight. I had Machida winning more rounds, but Shogun's shots doing the most damage. It was a close fight and could go either way. So to say it was a robbery or rigged is a bit ridiculous. Especially as I think Shogun is a lot more marketable than Machida. It's fair to say the line was way off on this fight and I think a lot of people expected Machida to win. That may've affected the judge's decisions when the fight was as close as it was. Either way, it was a great fight and I'm glad to see Shogun performing up to his potential. Even against Liddell, I hadn't felt he looked that impressive.P.S. - Rematch? Weeeee!

fight was definitley rigged for Macida to win, I had 300 dollars with party bets on Rua, they were giving almost 4-1 for Rua. Those corrupt judges cost me a cuba trip, mother ****ERS
Why the fuck would you want to go to Cuba?

The more I watch the fight, the more I lean towards a Machida Victory. Machida landed several clean head shots, was countered with leg kicks by shogun.machida landed several clean knees to the body, shogun landed several to the legs.Its clear the commentators do a good job at making the leg kicks sound like they are slowly killing Machida, but he showed no signs of being hurt during the fight.Machida also successfully stuffed any and alll take down attempts.here is the MMA judging criteria.VIII. JUDGESA. No judge will have a financial interest in any fighter he judges.B. No judge will be a manager/trainer of any fighter he judges.C. In a bout goes to it's full time limit, the outcome will be decided by a majority decision of three, (3), MMAC judges.D. A judge is accredited, sanctioned and selected based upon his character, experience, stature in the MMA world, knowledge of MMA systems and impartiality.E. Judging Criteria1. Judges are required to determine the winner of a bout that goes to it's full time limit based upon the following criteria:-Clean Strikes-Effective Grappling-Octagon Control-Effective AggressivenessF. Clean Strikes1. The fighter who is landing both effective and efficient clean strikes.2. There are two ways of measuring strikes:-the total number of clean strikes landed (more efficient) -the total number of heavy strikes landed (more effective)G. The heavier striker who lands with efficiency, deserves more credit from the Judges than total number landed.1. If the striking power between the fighters was equal, then the total number landed would be used as the criteria.2. The total number of strikes landed, should be of sufficient quantity favoring a fighter, to earn a winning round.H. Strikes thrown from the top position of the guard, are generally heavier and more effective than those thrown from the back.1. Thus a Judge shall recognize that effective strikes thrown from the top guard position are of "higher quality", than thrown from the bottom.2. The Judge shall recognize that this is not always the case.However, the vast majority of fighters prefer the top guard position to strike from. This is a strong indication of positional dominance for striking.I. Effective Grappling1. The Judge shall recognize the value of both the clean takedown and active guard position.2. The Judge shall recognize that a fighter who is able to cleanly takedown his opponent, is effectively grappling.3. A Judge shall recognize that a fighter on his back in an active guard position, can effectively grapple, through execution of repeated threatening attempts at submission and reversal resulting in continuous defense from the top fighter.4. A Judge shall recognize that a fighter who maneuvers from guard to mount is effectively grappling.5. A Judge shall recognize that the guard position alone shall be scored neutral or even, if none of the preceding situations were met.(items 2-4) 6. A Judge shall recognize that if the fighters remain in guard the majority of a round with neither fighter having an edge in clean striking or effective grappling, (items 2-4), the fighter who scored the clean takedown deserves the round.7. A clean reversal is equal to a clean takedown in effective grapplingJ. Octagon Control1. The fighter who is dictating the pace, place and position of the fight.2. A striker who fends off a grappler's takedown attempt to remain standing and effectively strike is octagon control.3. A grappler who can takedown an effective standing striker to ground fight is octagon control.4. The fighter on the ground who creates submission, mount or clean striking opportunitiesK. Effective Aggressiveness1. This simply means who is moving forward and finding success.(scoring) 2. Throwing a strike moving backwards is not as effective as a strike thrown moving forward.3. Throwing strikes and not landing is not effective aggressiveness.4. Moving forward and getting struck is not effective aggressiveness.5. Shooting takedowns and getting countered and fended off is not effective aggressiveness.L. Criteria Evaluation1. Each judge is to evaluate which fighter was most effective. Thus striking and grappling skills are top priority.2. Evaluating the criteria requires the use of a sliding scale. Fights can remain standing or grounded.Judges shall recognize that it isn't how long the fighters are standing or grounded, as to the scoring the fighters achieve ,while in those positions.3. If 90% of the round is grounded one fighter on top, then:-effective grappling is weighed first.-clean striking is weighed next. If clean strikes scored in the round, the Judge shall factor it in. Clean Striking can outweigh Effective Grappling while the fighters are grounded.-octagon control is next (pace, place & position)4. The same rational holds true if 90% of the round were standing. Thus:-clean striking would be weighed first (fighter most effective) -clean grappling second (any takedowns or effective clinching) -octagon control which fighter maintained better position? Which fighter created the situations that led to effective strikes?5. If a round was 50% standing and 50% on the ground, then:-clean striking and effective grappling are weighed more equally.-octagon control would be factored next6. In all three hypothetical situations, effective aggressiveness is factored in last. It is the criteria of least importance. Since the definition calls for moving forward and scoring, it is imperative for the Judges to look at the scoring first.7. Thus for all Judges scoring UFC fights, the prioritized order of evaluating criteria is:-clean strikes and effective grappling are weighed first.-octagon control-effective aggressivenessM. Domination Criteria1. A Judge may determine that a fighter dominated his opponent in a round. This can lead to a two point or more difference on a Judge's scorecard.2. The definition of a dominating round is a fighter's ability to effectively strike, grapple and control his opponent.3. A Judge may determine a round was dominating if a fighter was adversely affected by one of thefollowing:-knocked down from standing position by clean strike -by submission attempt -from a throw -from clean strikes either standing or grounded.N. Judge's Scorecard ProceduresAfter each round:1. each Judge will determine and record a score each round 2. a MMAC official will collect the scorecard after each round 3. the MMAC official will track and add each Judges score by round 4. If the fight goes the time limit, the MMAC official will add each Judge's scorecard and double check total 5. the fighter with the greater number of points wins the fight on each Judges scorecard 6. the fighter who won on the majority of the Judges Scorecards, wins the fight 7. the MMAC official will hand the decision to the PA announcerO. Types of Judge's Decisions1. If all three scorecards agree Unanimous 2. If two of three scorecards agree Split 3. Two scorecards agree and one draw Majority 4. two scorecards agree on draw Draw 5. all scorecards different DrawIX SCORING SYSTEMA. The MMAC and UFC have adopted a 10 point must system.The Judge will use the criteria to determine a winner each round. The three step procedure per round is as follows:-determine winner of round (can be draw) -determine if winner dominated round -fouls then factored in (subtract one point per foul from fighter)B. Draws are again acceptable in MMAC eventsC. Point Totals1. two fighters who draw are given a score of 10-10 2. the fighter who wins a round is given a score of 10-9 3.The fighter who dominates a round is given a score of 10-8 (a score of 10-7 is possible for a dominant round) 4.For each foul a fighter commits, a point is subtracted. This deduction can change a winning round to a draw. 9-9

machida actually did show signs of being hurt by limping out of the cage and if u notice in the later rounds he gives up his karate stance because his legs couldnt take anymore punishment, and as much as i believe rua won im no judge, but what i do know was that ruas corner was wrong in telling him to not press the action in the 5th round because they believe he was ahead in the cardsedit:also was very disappointed in okamis performance

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AteN...o&type=lgnsBrock out of Carwin fight. I guess Cain and Nog would be the favorites to fill in here?
i feel cain should get it over nog, cause nog had his shot and lost to mir, and it was originally supposed to be cain vs carwin for the title shot before dana figured hey i would get a shit load more money if i just put brock vs carwin

Carwin says that the fight is rescheduled for UFC 108 (Jan. 2nd). Sounds like they will move Silva/Belfort to 109 or 110.106 buyrate just dropped a ton with the news though. UFC.com says Ortiz/Griffin II will be main event.

106 still looks pretty good.108 should be totally awesome. And Adnerson/Vitor going beyond 108(probably), and Wand/Akiyama probably ME the Australia card, Shogun/Lyoto II and Anderson/Vitor should make the depth pretty awesome in the coming months.

They're still advertizing this fight. Seems like they should stop running ads for a fight that isn't going to happen.
Can't be controlled yet, some will still air. It's hard to adjust the advertisements on short notice. That's why Affliction just canceled their Trilogy show... they couldn't advertise a replacement.
thiago alves pulles out of rematch fight with jon fitch due to torn knee ligament
I think it's just strained or a slight tear and they are trying to get it moved to 108

Kos should be a good test for AJ at 106. I think he has to prove to Dana he can make 170 a couple of times before they risk a title fight with him in it.The UFC cards seem to be falling apart alot lately. so many good fights postponed or cancelled. 106 probally isnt worth the money anymore.

Kos should be a good test for AJ at 106. I think he has to prove to Dana he can make 170 a couple of times before they risk a title fight with him in it.The UFC cards seem to be falling apart alot lately. so many good fights postponed or cancelled. 106 probally isnt worth the money anymore.
Lost a lot of steam but... still excited to see Karo/Hazelett Cane/Little Nog and AJ/Kos. And Baroni/Sadollah and Tito/Forrest are interesting in their own way. And this just means the cards at the turn of the year are going to be super loaded.

Silva won't fight at UFC 108UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva will not defend his title Jan. 2 at UFC 108 against Vitor Belfort. Ed Soares, the manager for Silva, told ESPN.com today that his fighter is still recovering from elbow surgery. The elbow isn't expected to fully heal in time for the scheduled bout with Belfort."The fight is still on; it just won't happen Jan. 2," Soares said. "The doctor wants Anderson to take more time to let the injury heal properly."Silva isn't the only BlackHouse camp member on the mend. UFC light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto Machida had surgery on his left hand yesterday. The injury was sustained before Machida's UFC 104 showdown with Mauricio Rua on Oct. 24. Machida defeated Rua by unanimous decision."Lyoto has had the hand injury for a while," Soares said. "When the doctor looked at it, he discovered several problems. Lyoto had bone spurs, calcium deposits and a bone fragment."It is not yet known how long Machida will be sidelined. He is expected to make a full recovery.