**official Mma Thread**

This is my first UFC PPV I've seen, and I thought it was freaking awesome. Brock Lesnar is the man in my book. Why shouldn't he flip off the crowd when they are booing him? Also, I'm definitely ok with his bad sportsmanship after the fight. Mir was talking a lot of shit before the fight, why should Brock shake his hand and be grateful afterwards? I don't see it as bad sportsmanship, I see it as Mir being held accountable for his shittalk. Awesome Lesnar quotes:"I'm going to drink a COORS LIGHT!!! Because Bud Light won't pay me.""I might even get on top of my wife tonight!!!"Also, I counted 8 punches after Mir was out that the ref let the fight go on. Seemed a little ridiculous.
See I took more as Brock forgetting he wasn't in the WWE anymore. They were both talking shit before the fight. Most of the fighters do to promote it but have no problem being respectful after. Lesnar was just a complete ass. Not a Mir fan either though. My first PPV buy as well. I usually just torrent them overnight and watch first thing in the morning.
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

This is my first UFC PPV I've seen, and I thought it was freaking awesome. Brock Lesnar is the man in my book. Why shouldn't he flip off the crowd when they are booing him? Also, I'm definitely ok with his bad sportsmanship after the fight. Mir was talking a lot of shit before the fight, why should Brock shake his hand and be grateful afterwards? I don't see it as bad sportsmanship, I see it as Mir being held accountable for his shittalk. Awesome Lesnar quotes:"I'm going to drink a COORS LIGHT!!! Because Bud Light won't pay me.""I might even get on top of my wife tonight!!!"Also, I counted 8 punches after Mir was out that the ref let the fight go on. Seemed a little ridiculous.
Glad you enjoyed it. the good thing about being a UFC fan as compared to supporting team sports is your always only about another month away from the next event where as if you are a football fan your like 8 months away at times, even longer if your team sucks. The next event in early August should be good aswell with 2 high quality bouts and really the debut of Amir Sadollah who was a pretty exciting fighter on his season of The Ultimate Fighter.As for tonight I got called into work 3 minutes before the event started so I raced down to get the job done and got back right at the end of the 1st round of GSP Alves. That fight went down pretty much as how I suspected but Alves ability to get back to his feet on multiple occasions suprised me. I hope GSP isnt out of commision for too long.Lesnar impressed me tonight. His ability to improve on previous outings is frightning to the heavtyweight division. Tonight he displyed alot of patience from the top instead of going mental with the short hammerfist and leaving something open for Frank. He controlled his head and his wrists and Frank had nothing to work with. There isnt anyone out there in the UFC that has a chance right now imo. He ate a punch and 2 good knees from Frank before taking him down in the 2nd and was unphased. This proves to me that the UFC has to get Fedor. The antics at the beginning of the fight and afterwards I am not a fan of but he is deffinatly trying to work the bad guy image and its working. In a room with 6 other guys everyone at the end absolutely despised him and want to see him get killed. Theyy will deffinatly be coming back as customers for Brock fights albeit as people who want to see him get beat.Fitch proves again he is the best of the rest at 170 lbs.Other than that didnt see ant other fights so cant coment.

Sickest KO ever. I was rooting for Henderson anyway, but that was the best KO I've ever seen. I sorta like Bisping, although not before this fight, so I hope this doesn't kill his career(I don't think it will), but what the hell do they do with Hendo now? Give him Anderson Silva? Seems like a crushing in the making.GSP Dominant.Lesnar has big heavy fists.OK I hated Bisping so maybe it seemed better than it was but that was AWESOME!

Superdick. I had no opinion of him until tonight. But that just really made me hate him.
that's his angle, I'm sure. I think his contract has him getting huge numbers based on PPV buys, so he plays the heel to the max, plus, he's probably a huge dick
Had no issue with the final result, but definitely not a 30-27.
yeah, the jap won, but maybe not that huge. No real issue with it. Hendo destroyed Bisbing. Funny, Hendo has two weapons, his wrestling and his overhand right. Please prepare for them.Sad to see Mir destroyed.Would like to see GSP find a finishing move. He just grinds and doesn't finish people.
Had Lesnar and GSP.Was happy that Lesnar won, but I think he is really bad for MMA.
how so, because he plays up the WWE heel angle?if he gets eyes on the sport, he's good for it. IMOWatching the fights with novices, it's amazing to listen to their comments. I wonder how I got so evolved. I mean, I say what Rogan says before he does and I've never trained in any of the disciplines, but I read a ton of stuff from Yahoo and ESPN. I love jujitsu, but I wonder how I got there. The average schmo is appalled by the blood and elbows and stuff. So, my question, I suppose, is how does the average douche make that leap from awe to knowledgeable fan?

This was show for free in the UK (woo hoo) so I taped it and watched it this morning. Being more of a wrestling fan than a mixed martial arts fans I can appreciate Brock's actions from a different perspective. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the pre and post fight nonsense was a set up and Mir was in on it. Its the type of thing that pro wrestlers have been doing for decades and it can only enhance buy rates in the future. On the flip side its probably not very good for image of UFC especially if it wants to join the main steam culture of sports.

I thought it was a pretty great card. If I am nitpicking, I was more interested in a few of the preliminary fights than Belcher/Akiyama. I was especially interested in seeing both Jon Jones and whoever was responsible for making the octagon the bloody mess that we all saw once the broadcast began.I am beginning to think that GSP is actually underrated. I think that both Fitch and Alves are really great fighters and, in my mind, his performances against those two really solidifies that he is in a whole different universe relative to everyone else in the world at 170. I have this overwhelming instinctual feeling that I should hate Lesnar, but he is just such a freak and even though his post fight interview was classless, I thought it was also entirely hilarious. He will obviously be a huge boon for the UFC. Although, I am somewhat curious if there will be any consequences over his comments about Bud Light. He may be the biggest draw in the whole organization after tonight (the merits of which are obviously debatable), but to affirmatively disparage the UFC's biggest sponsor and specifically mention a competitor in the same breath is pretty ballsy. FWIW, I watched this card in a group with several very casual mma fans (there were actually a few guys who to my amazement had never heard of Brock Lesnar) and they were basically infatuated with him once the show ended. The disparagement of the major sponsor notwithstanding, I think Dana is probably elated.

I find it funny that so many people get so worked up about Brock and not one word is said about Henderson saying that he knew Bisping was out on contact but wanted to makesure his mouth was shut ->which to me was about a zillion times more inappropriate then what Lesnar said. Same goes for pretty much everything Penn does post fight (ie: wiping his hands in oponents blood and licking them). Lesnar isn't as dumb as people seem to think, he plays the heel character up to the max. I think his reaction after the knock out was 100% legit, all emotion but the booing gets going and he plays it up. He is earning every penny! GSP put on another clinic. The most interesting thing about him right now is waiting to see what's next.

how so, because he plays up the WWE heel angle?if he gets eyes on the sport, he's good for it. IMOWatching the fights with novices, it's amazing to listen to their comments. I wonder how I got so evolved. I mean, I say what Rogan says before he does and I've never trained in any of the disciplines, but I read a ton of stuff from Yahoo and ESPN. I love jujitsu, but I wonder how I got there. The average schmo is appalled by the blood and elbows and stuff. So, my question, I suppose, is how does the average douche make that leap from awe to knowledgeable fan?
seeing goodfights. I only started watching last December and my wife hated it. Now she's hooked after seeing a couple of good fights and watches all the PPVs with me. I've gone back and started downloading a lot of the old stuff too. Seen UFCs 1-25 so far plus whatever Unleashed has been on and TUFs 1, 9 and parts of 2 and 8. Would like to think I'm gaining knowledge on it. Some people don't understand how we can watch it and still think it's what it was back in the beginning.
Sickest KO ever. I was rooting for Henderson anyway, but that was the best KO I've ever seen. I sorta like Bisping, although not before this fight, so I hope this doesn't kill his career(I don't think it will), but what the hell do they do with Hendo now? Give him Anderson Silva? Seems like a crushing in the making.GSP Dominant.Lesnar has big heavy fists.OK I hated Bisping so maybe it seemed better than it was but that was AWESOME!
That knockout wasd disgusting/awesome. And then to go all Matrix on him one time while he's out on the mat. I thought for sure he turned him retarded right then and there.
Had Lesnar and GSP.Was happy that Lesnar won, but I think he is really bad for MMA.
As long as he doesn't get too carried away playing the bad guy, I don't think it hurts. I mean, that can't be happening every match.
As long as he doesn't get too carried away playing the bad guy, I don't think it hurts. I mean, that can't be happening every match.
Agreed. He was pretty respectful/humble both after his loss to Mir and his win vs Couture. He reacted vs Herring similar to last night...seems to take the shit talk really personally.Lesnar vs Fedor? http://mmajunkie.com/news/15488/dana-white...ht-imminent.mmaBrock says sorry http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/mma/UFC/14458660

i think i might still have a chubby from seeing hendog wreck out for the count bispingdoes it get any better?1247367977823.gif

Lesnar a perfect villain for UFC Story HighlightsBrock Lesnar pointed at the crowd and raised both his middle fingers in victoryHe then got in Frank Mir's face as his defeated challenger stood upLesnar continued later with an entertaining post-fight rant LAS VEGAS -- If UFC president Dana White were in the business of creating characters instead of fighters, storylines instead of matches and superheroes instead of champions, he still couldn't have dreamt up a villain as perfect as Brock Lesnar.Even when Lesnar was in the fanciful world of the WWE and it was his job to play the role of an evil wrecking ball, he never played the part as beautifully, as masterfully, as deliciously wicked as he is now in the real world of the UFC.The main event of Saturday night's UFC 100 card will likely be remembered more for what happened after Lesnar beat Frank Mir with a second round TKO to become the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion than what happened during the fight. The battle was nothing more than a brief ground-and-pound exhibition where Lesnar reminded the capacity crowd at the Mandalay Bay Events Center why he was a former NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion.After referee Herb Dean stopped the fight 1:48 into the second round as Lesnar whaled away at Mir's bloodied face in the corner of the Octagon, Lesnar got up, pointed at the crowd and raised both his middle fingers in victory as he was showered with boos. He then got in Mir's face as his defeated challenger came to and brushed off security guards as they tried to control him.It was scene reminiscent of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin at the height of his career as his rebel persona lifted the WWE to new heights of popularity. The only thing missing was a Coors Light victory shower although Lesnar promised that would come later."I'm going to go home tonight and drink a Coors Light because Bud Light won't pay me," said Lesnar, pointing at the logo of the presenting sponsor of the event. "I'm going to sit down with my friends and family and hell, I might even get on top of my wife tonight."As if that wasn't enough Lesnar continued with an entertaining post-fight rant that was better than any promo he ever cut while he was in professional wrestling."Frank Mir had a horseshoe up his ass and I told him that a year ago," said Lesnar, who refused to touch gloves or shake hands with Mir before or after the fight. "I pulled that [expletive] down and I beat him up. Whooo!"Only five fights into his MMA career and Lesnar already looks and sounds more comfortable than he ever did in in the WWE. He also seems equally at ease as when he compiled a 106-5 record as an amateur wrestler.Lesnar was made for this "heel" role in the UFC. He relishes it and feeds off it unlike anyone else the sport has ever seen. As he hugged his wife Rena (wrestling fans will remember her by her stage name, "Sable"), he smiled and turned to the camera and pointed at a nonexistent dimple as exited the Octagon and encouraged the crowd to continue to boo him. "I love it," he said. "Keep going."While Lesnar may have looked like an uncontrollable loose cannon after the fight, he was a changed man when he walked into the press room soon after. Wearing a wide smile and holding a Bud Light, he took a big swig as he looked at White and said, "I love Bud Light! I must have caught a hard knee to the head."After the fight White had pulled Lesnar out of the locker room and chewed him out before Lesnar nodded his head and said that he was embarrassed and sorry. For as entertaining as Lesnar's act might have been to some, White has worked hard to attract mainstream advertisers like Bud Light and Burger King as wasn't about to let Lesnar ruin those relationships in an effort to momentarily incite the crowd."I was blown away. I don't think in the history of the UFC we've ever had someone do something like that," said White. "It's not who we are and it's not who he is. I've spent time with the guy. He gets in there and the adrenaline starts kicking and the mouth starts moving, but the brain isn't sending anything to his mouth. If he was a [bad guy], I would tell you, but he's not. He's a smart guy. He's been in the WWE so long that he thinks he has to jump in there and be the heel."As much as White and Lesnar were able to save face with their mainstream sponsors, the fact is White and the UFC have created their growing niche by having a certain renegade persona that goes in the opposite direction of the mainstream. The next time White has an interview or press conference not laced with a dozen expletives while calling out rival promoters or fighters will be the first.Lesnar might be a "good guy" out of the Octagon but the fact is, the guy is a perfect "bad guy" in the cage and no different than Dennis Rodman and Mike Tyson, who attracted attention and put on a show when the spotlight shone. Lesnar might apologize now, but I would be shocked if we don't see a repeat performance after his next act. And as much as White might act agitated, he should be comforted by the growing pay-per-view numbers and ticket sales."I was in the entertainment business for a while and I guess there's still a little bit of that in me," said Lesnar. "I get asked if there's anything I could drag over from the WWE and I guess you saw a little bit tonight. I'm used to selling pay-per-views and tickets."Like him or not, that is certainly what Lesnar did Saturday night as he established himself as not only the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion, but also the best heel in MMA history. The next step is getting him in the Octagon with the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Fedor Emelianenko, who remains the sole MMA headliner that has yet to fight for the UFC."Eventually Fedor is going to be here," said White. "I want Fedor. I want Fedor to come to the UFC. We'll get the deal done and we'll get Brock vs. Fedor and it will be a huge fight."

Agreed. He was pretty respectful/humble both after his loss to Mir and his win vs Couture. He reacted vs Herring similar to last night...seems to take the shit talk really personally.Lesnar vs Fedor? http://mmajunkie.com/news/15488/dana-white...ht-imminent.mmaBrock says sorry http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/mma/UFC/14458660
I thought Brock came across very well in the post-fight interview.

I also loved Henderson destroying Bisping. Akiyama should have lost, but there were times when the American guy could have knocked him out and didn't do it, so it's the American guy's fault for gassing early in the fight. I did love how Akiyama waved the American guy to come on, then Akiyama got superman punched in the face.

See. I am a "Casual Fan". I don't bet on the Fights. Am pretty knowledgeable of most fighters and their televised history. Have seen just about every fight on Spike and many other non-UFC Fights. Even the very early fights when very few people were watching MMA and some fights looked more like a tough man contest. Will probably not purchase a PPV, although I might if I have a Poker night on the same night as a PPV. If I ever happen to be in a town at the same time as a Fight, I would likely try and score a ticket. I have some Martial Arts experience so I really appreciate MMA.I have always hated WWF crap. I find it juvenile and stupid.I say all this to give some perspective of a Casual Fan.Lesnar's antics are not good from the perspective of a Fan like myself. It turns me off because it reminds me of WWF crap. I don't even want to be associated with a Sport as a fan that starts to emulate WWF. I think that sportsmanship is part of Martial Arts. Plus Lesnar just looks like a douche and is biting the hand that is feeding him quite well.

See. I am a "Casual Fan". I don't bet on the Fights. Am pretty knowledgeable of most fighters and their televised history. Have seen just about every fight on Spike and many other non-UFC Fights. Even the very early fights when very few people were watching MMA and some fights looked more like a tough man contest. Will probably not purchase a PPV, although I might if I have a Poker night on the same night as a PPV. If I ever happen to be in a town at the same time as a Fight, I would likely try and score a ticket. I have some Martial Arts experience so I really appreciate MMA.I have always hated WWF crap. I find it juvenile and stupid.I say all this to give some perspective of a Casual Fan.Lesnar's antics are not good from the perspective of a Fan like myself. It turns me off because it reminds me of WWF crap. I don't even want to be associated with a Sport as a fan that starts to emulate WWF. I think that sportsmanship is part of Martial Arts. Plus Lesnar just looks like a douche and is biting the hand that is feeding him quite well.
It's not that I disagree with what you're saying but in a lot of ways the UFC has emulated the WWE since their boom. I mean The Ultimate Fighter was almost a clone of WWF's Tough Enough, increased shit talk in all pre fight video's (Ortiz had a ton to do with that), pre fight build up etc. From a business stand point I think Dana has "scripted" a lot of this in a clever manner. Also, it drives me insane when everyone (casual fans, media etc) jumps on Lesnar in a situation like this but almost no attention is payed to Henderson's antics or the consistent antices of Penn or even Marcus Davis after his fight last ppv etc. I think Lesnar crossed a line and I certainly wouldn't act like that but I'd almost rather see real emotion like his after the fight with the "who's talking shit now" then see the months of bad mouthing, threatening, insulting followed by the post fight "I didn't really mean that..." that seems to be almost regular occurence nowadays.EDIT: As far as biting the hand that feeds him...other then the bud light comment I bet Dana is loving the hell out of Brock Lesnar the character. And lets be honest it's not like Dana has ever made the UFC come off to well in the business world.

I don't know how much of it was WWE. If I kicked the shit out of a guy who was talking a lot of trash, then the crowd booed the hell out of me, I might get a little animated also. The only thing I think he did wrong was badmouth Bud Light since they were a sponsor.One thing I forgot to mention, I counted 8 punches to the face after Mir was completely out. What was the ref thinking? You could even see people in the first couple rows get up yelling at the ref to stop the fight.

I don't know how much of it was WWE. If I kicked the shit out of a guy who was talking a lot of trash, then the crowd booed the hell out of me, I might get a little animated also. The only thing I think he did wrong was badmouth Bud Light since they were a sponsor.One thing I forgot to mention, I counted 8 punches to the face after Mir was completely out. What was the ref thinking? You could even see people in the first couple rows get up yelling at the ref to stop the fight.
I don't know if that's true or not (that he was completely out so soon) - but regardless, it's very tough to tell if/when he was out in that position. Mir was covering his face so you couldn't really see his eyes. His body didn't appear to go limp. And he appeared to be defending himself until the last few punches. In a championship fight you want to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to prove he is defending himself.

Like or dislike Lesnar, you have to admit UFC is suddenly getting a ton of exposure. I think I heard the number 1.5 million buys? Don't have a link or confirmation but that would be pretty sick! Today alone:1) Sportscenter had a small highlight segment of UFC 100.2) Sportscenter also included Hendo's knockout in the top 10 "plays"3) ESPN First Take had a segment on it plus Dana White was on.4) Around the horn opened their show talking about UFCAnd a bonus 5) that hasn't happened yet but airs in 30. I can guarantee PTI will talk about it.

And a bonus 5) that hasn't happened yet but airs in 30. I can guarantee PTI will talk about it.
I love PTI (well, the regular lineup of Kornheiser and Wilbon) but them talking about MMA and the UFC does nothing but damage because they have no clue what they are talking about. Last week they talked about it but LeBatard was filling in and he knows his MMA a little, so it was palatable. PTI, Wilbon and Bob Ryan were making me cringe.That's how the common person sees MMA which tells me that two generations need to turn over before the average schmo gets this sport. I watched it with a friend and even though he was into it, he was still making jokes along the lines of "the only difference between this and dog fighting is the dogs can't sign a waiver"so, the sport has a LOOOOOOONG way to go, sadlyLesner was a douche, but only when it came to the Bud Light comment.Joe Daddy talked about wanting to bang his wife after his last fight and I don't care if they hug each other after the fight. They were booing him and who cares if he gives it back.

All this talk of Lesnars antics postfight are actually doing himself a disservice. Everyone should be talking about how good he looked and how much improvement he has made. Mir had like no chance against him. Maybe now that he is really a legitimate MMA stud he should tone down the act(if its one) and let people admire his dominance. As it stands now in a even money fight against Fedor I would have to take Lesnar. Something I wouldnt do a week ago. And against the current UFC heavyweight lineup he is unbeatable. Hope he sticks with the program and works his ass off at every aspect of the sport.