**official Mma Thread**

As for him complaining that GSP greased himself down, that's what the referees check for before they enter the ring and obv that wasn't an issue prefight when GSP was being checked so that will not hold up. I also find people who make excuses like that petty and classless. Somebody has to lose, too bad it was you, get over it.
RGI am DEFINITELY not saying this is why BJ got his ash whooped, but that doesn't mean that BJ doesn't have a legit gripe..."B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds."I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think.""The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP."If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."As for what becomes of the complaint now, White said it's out of his hands."Who knows. That's up to the commission."The issue had nothing to do with pre-fight, but obv had to so with some issue before round 2. In round 2 it was apparent that BJ's normally tough guard was getting easily passed. If it has anything to do with the fact that GSP had Vaseline on his back, then the Penn camp has a gripe.If the commission finds someone guilty of using the Vaseline that was clearly found in GSP's corner...then it does "taint" the win, but I wouldn't take it away from GSP...he clearly was the better fighter.
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Not sure he is any longer a "great fighter". ]
Maybe not at 170. He is still the best fighter in the world at 155, which I would consider a 'great' accomplishment.

There's been fights overturned to a NC after a fighter's been caught greasing. The fight between Akiyama and Sakuraba was an example of that. It's probably unlikely much comes of this, but it's is a possibility.Who knows if it would have made a difference in the end, but greasing does make guard work impossible and it would make BJ's guard much easier to pass. Seeing as how GSP was able to so easily pass BJ's guard, it's something to think about. I also noticed when he was using his high guard and rubber guard that his legs would slide right off and he couldn't hold those positions either.As great a fighter BJ is, I think the sport's just evolved now to the point where weight classes are there for a reason and the size difference can be too much to make up in some instances. GSP was able to just overpower BJ in a way never seen before and it was really just shocking to watch. GSP had a great game plan, wore BJ down pressing him up against the cage, got takedowns and landed some effective ground and pound. He won the way I expected him to be able to win, but his ground and pound and passing was shocking to me. Right now GSP is on top of his game and he's going to be incredibly tough to beat as he seems to have perfected his style now.

That was pretty gross to see how easily GSP was working in and passing BJ's guard. Honestly though, if it would have been an even fight and BJ was allowed to grease his legs and hips to prevent GSP from taking him down who knows what would have happened. I thought BJ gassed pretty hard as well. You just can't bring that kind of conditioning into the ring. It looked like GSP could very well have broken BJ's jaw with that first gnp punch that bounced BJ's head off the mat. GSP is a great fighter, but the way he was passing BJ's guard it was hard not to think something was up.edit: FTR, I thought BJ got hurt again or just gassed super hard...didn't even occur to me GSP could have greased

Not sure how much truth there is to this yet, but there's word spreading around that BJ popped his rib in the 2nd round while going for mission control, similar to how he hurt it against Hughes in their fight.That along with the greasing could explain why BJ looked so stagnant off his back like he couldn't do anything. Usually we see BJ with a very active guard where he goes for sweeps and works his high guard, but this fight he was pretty much all defense and trying to recover guard. It's just incredibly hard to even keep BJ on his back much less pass his guard and it seemed like BJ lacked any kind of explosiveness in his core to get GSP off him. He couldn't buck or scramble, his back was firmly on the ground the entire fight. That could just be the size and strength difference, but it seems like there was more to it than that to me.

jdrury and i bought the card over at his house..to try and have a semi reasonable environment to watch the fights in...****ing charter blacks out as Kim is walking out..so we miss that entire fight and have to rush to the Hooters up the street...where we sat in a corner(no table)in order to watch the fightslol****ingl

Ugh of course it has to be a tainted victory. BJ had no offence from the opening bell. Couldnt do anything on his feet but stuff GSP's take down attempts in the first. The grease if it was not properly wiped off probally didnt change the end result. BJ was gassed from about the middle of the second on. GSP is simply too big for BJ as I believe Anderson Silva is just to big for GSP to have a shot. I see Alves only shot is to land a haymaker in the first 15-20 seconds before GSP takes him down and beats him to a pulp.Edit: I love Guida and not a big fan of the Diaz brothers antics but I thought Diaz won the second and third.

Well, the rib injury report has been shown to be false, but the greasing complaint definitely stands.Here's an article interviewing BJ's trainer about it here.For the rest of the card, Machida looked awesome and I expected a KO given Silva's style of walking straight ahead with no angles. Machida just picked him apart and I've always said he hit really hard.I thought Diaz and Dong deserved decisions in their fights, but they weren't the worst decisions ever either. I just felt like they were trying to do more whereas Karo and Guida were initiating the clinch and and not doing much offensively.Jones is awesome, amazing display of wrestling. He basically executed every wrestling takedown in the book in the same fight. He also held his own striking and once he can improve his ground game, he's going to be incredibly tough to beat. Even right now, he's a tough fight for anyone despite his inexperience.

Surprised in everyone's thoughts on Diaz. I thought it was clearly Guida across. Every time Diaz tried a toss, Guida kept his back and stayed on him.
I agree with this... I can't say Guida was terribly exciting the last couple rounds...but I was thinking a 29-28 victory for Guida before the decision and was glad to see it go that way. Diaz was clearly frustrated with his inability to get out of the grip of Guida.And I think there can be NO doubt anymore that GSP is one of the top conditioned fighters in the sport. At the end of that 4th round he looked like he could've gone 10 more.
I agree with this... I can't say Guida was terribly exciting the last couple rounds...but I was thinking a 29-28 victory for Guida before the decision and was glad to see it go that way. Diaz was clearly frustrated with his inability to get out of the grip of Guida.And I think there can be NO doubt anymore that GSP is one of the top conditioned fighters in the sport. At the end of that 4th round he looked like he could've gone 10 more.
I think most gave the 2nd round to Guida and the 3rd round to Diaz, so that would make the 1st round the difference maker. I gave more credit to the strikes Diaz landed earlier in the round rather what Guida did later on in the round. It was a close fight and either fighter getting it is fine really. I'm definitely not a fan of Guida's style though, his last 2 fights have been lay and pray type fights. I guess you can't fault him really though because he's doing the best with what he has skill and talent wise. I'm just not a fan of his.
channelsurfing.net is usually pretty good.
yeah, except when it takes a dump with 22 seconds left to go in the 4th round of the main event. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawdammit.damn you sal paradise.
I think most gave the 2nd round to Guida and the 3rd round to Diaz, so that would make the 1st round the difference maker. I gave more credit to the strikes Diaz landed earlier in the round rather what Guida did later on in the round. It was a close fight and either fighter getting it is fine really.
I felt that the first round was the clearest round in terms of scoring. Diaz scored early in the round with striking, but after they clinched Guida totally shut him down. Guida scored two takedowns including a massive slam, had his back and threatened with a RNC, passed to side control and scored with vicious elbows (which caused the welt on Diaz's eye). Definitely 10-9 Guida.
I felt that the first round was the clearest round in terms of scoring. Diaz scored early in the round with striking, but after they clinched Guida totally shut him down. Guida scored two takedowns including a massive slam, had his back and threatened with a RNC, passed to side control and scored with vicious elbows (which caused the welt on Diaz's eye). Definitely 10-9 Guida.
Agreed, Guida came out with a lot more energy (typical of him) and was able to move side to side/in and out nicely early. He controlled most of the round. I also didn't notice a lot of Diaz's pesky jabs connecting early which is his usual strength. Guida's speed early took away the reach advantage of Diaz; but then in the 3rd round as Guida slowed down he started to eat a lot more punches.

Overall, a lot of hype for a mediocre night. It started off pretty boring to say the least, but at least it picked up later on. That was a nice KO from Machida with 0.0001 sec left in the round. Also, I really liked that Jones guy who fought Bonner, very talented (he's only 20 or 21), I think we'll be seeing more of him. Can't stand watching Guida fights, he's mastered that style but it's just boring as hell.

BJ is 13-5-1Not sure he is any longer a "great fighter". He has training issues... doesn't focus.... and shouldn't fight up in weight.GSP is awesome.
I don't "understand" the "way" you use "quotation" marks.BJ is the best in the world @ 155. His training issues have been a distant memory since he droped to LW. He lost to a guy who is bigger and generally ranked in everyone's top 3 P4P rankings. I don't understand how anyone could think that he is no longer great.

I thought Diaz should have had the victory over Guida. All Guida did for two rounds was try and hold him from behind, he didn't land a single shot that did damage or have any takedowns. Diaz was the one doing all the takedowns, Clay was just holding on for dear life. Not to mention the round they kept stand up was dominated by Diaz's jab. Machida was very impressive. I think it's hilarious that because he is a counter striker that tries not to take damage people find him boring when one of the most popular fighters in the UFC (Lidell) does the same thing.Penn looked hurt in the second round, he just wasn't acting like himself. Obviously he is going to have conditioning problems when he has to put on weight for a fight compared to guys who are naturally bigger and stronger who are cutting for the fight and then when they get in the ring have a 15-20 lb weight advantage. At 155 I don't think anyone in the world can touch Penn, and he still should be 1-1 against GSP.The guy who fought Bonner could be pretty solid if he gets some cardio, he gassed way to early in the fight.

BJ is 13-5-1Not sure he is any longer a "great fighter". He has training issues... doesn't focus.... and shouldn't fight up in weight.GSP is awesome.
Well, he has 2 losses vs. GSP, one vs. Matt Hughes, Lyoto Machida, and Pulver. The Pulver loss is really the only bad loss he's had and he avenged that one. I think it's safe to say that he's great, but if he keeps trying to challenge himself by fighting bigger opponents, it will affect his legacy.
Well, he has 2 losses vs. GSP, one vs. Matt Hughes, Lyoto Machida, and Pulver. The Pulver loss is really the only bad loss he's had and he avenged that one. I think it's safe to say that he's great, but if he keeps trying to challenge himself by fighting bigger opponents, it will affect his legacy.
His loss to Pulver wasn't bad either. Pulver at the time was probably the best lightweight in the world and it was BJ's 4th fight. It was a close split decision that could have gone either way. He was a favorite for the fight, but it wasn't like Pulver was a chump either. He had a ton of experience on BJ heading into that fight. This fight against GSP is really the only fight where you can say he definitively lost aside from the Matt Hughes fight where he hurt his rib. I'm not sure how he's going to recover from this fight and he seems to have lost some of his drive and hunger to be a great fighter. All he used to care about was his legacy and now it seems some of his priorities in life have changed. He seems to have changed his mindset ever since having his daughter. I think the timing of him having his first child while heading into the biggest fight of his career just wasn't ideal circumstances for him. He took a beating in this fight, some of those shots GSP was landing would have KO'd most other fighters. BJ's head was flat on the canvas and absorbing the impact of the entire blow. He more than likely suffered a concussion and didn't know what was going on at the end of the fight. His aura of invincibility is gone after this fight and I don't know he's going to handle that. He could use it to get better like GSP has after his fight with Serra or he could just decide to retire. It really wouldn't surprise me that much if he did decide to retire or have a couple more fights and call it quits. BJ's always been an all or nothing guy and if he can't be the best fighter on the planet, I'm not sure if he wants to continue fighting.
Overall, a lot of hype for a mediocre night. It started off pretty boring to say the least, but at least it picked up later on. That was a nice KO from Machida with 0.0001 sec left in the round. Also, I really liked that Jones guy who fought Bonner, very talented (he's only 20 or 21), I think we'll be seeing more of him. Can't stand watching Guida fights, he's mastered that style but it's just boring as hell.
That actually is the only fight I can remember that was really stopped AFTER the round was over. I mean maybe the punch got in there before the horn...but there was a multi-second delay where the ref was just seperating them cause of the end of the round, and then he turned around and looked back and was like, oh shit, he is KTFO, all over.Also, nobody should take anything Hollywood says too seriously. He has some serious diarrhea of the mouth regardless of the topic.

Definitely want to see more of Jones, he needs to work cardio though. W/out that huge back of the head elbow landing that may have been a very different fight, Bonnar took a long time to recover from that and was clearly winning the fight in the late stages. Dig the kid though.Machida fought the most beautiful round in UfC history. Just total domination, throws, strikes whatever. I think he'll tool Evans pretty handily.

Definitely want to see more of Jones, he needs to work cardio though. W/out that huge back of the head elbow landing that may have been a very different fight, Bonnar took a long time to recover from that and was clearly winning the fight in the late stages. Dig the kid though.Machida fought the most beautiful round in UfC history. Just total domination, throws, strikes whatever. I think he'll tool Evans pretty handily.
At this point, I really don't see anybody beating Machida. The guy is brilliant when it comes to game plan.
At this point, I really don't see anybody beating Machida. The guy is brilliant when it comes to game plan.
Greg Jackson isn't bad himself. Rashad is one of the smaller LHW's though and I just don't see how he will be able to get through Machida's defenses. It sounds like Machida might be fighting Rampage anyway.
It sounds like Machida might be fighting Rampage anyway.
? If Rampage beats Jardine it's Rashad/Rampage and if Jardine beats Ramapge then it's Rashad/Lyoto, at leas that's how I understand it.

A lot more is coming out about the GSP greasing incident. It appears as though BJ mentioned to the someone in the NSAC during the fight that GSP was greasy between rounds. It seems like this also isn't the first time this has happened as other fighters have complained before about GSP being greasy. Mayhem Miller has said GSP was very greasy in their fight. Sherk has also said the same thing. Other fighters have also mentioned fighters from Greg Jackson's camp being greasy such as Rashad Evans and Roger Huerta in their fights against Tito and Florian. Is it all a coincidence? Possibly, but I don't think this is something you can just discount either. I'm sure more will come of this story in the coming days.