**official Mma Thread**

Just want to say how much I love you guys for the amount of information you compile on all this stuff. I'd be totally clueless about most MMA without this thread. They really should give a prize to the guy who started it, imo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Just want to say how much I love you guys for the amount of information you compile on all this stuff. I'd be totally clueless about most MMA without this thread. They really should give a prize to the guy who started it, imo
Agreed. I never post here because you guys are on a whole nother level, but I follow it religiously. Props to all of you smart MMA guys.

I too have become much more educated after spending several months in this thread. I've always been pretty knowledgeble when it came to UFC fighters, from the very beginning....until present day. But people on here provide excellent stats and history on guys who fight in other organizations. It looks like the UFC is getting a ton of those guys to now fight in UFC, so the added history works in our favor.

I am going through withdrals and still more than 2 weeks before the next live card :club:
It does seem to be feast or famine doesn't it? I don't get Showtime or HDnet so my options are pretty limited.
Anyone catch the Dream card? Overall, it was a pretty good card, other than the JZ/Aoki fight ending up in a NC. That was really unfortunate and I'm not sure what will happen now as far as the GP Tourny goes. JZ is one of the best at 155 and I'd pick him over anyone other than BJ Penn. The Dida/Alvarez fight was fireworks and great while it lasted, Alvarez looks like he's the real deal. Also nice to see Cro Cop get a W again. What I love about these cards is they generally have their top fighters fighting on them all the time.
Dream was a lot better than I thought it would be. If you can stand the Japanese commentators, you should try and download it and watch it. Some really tight jujitsu. Only a couple of horribly mismatched fights. Cro cop looked pretty good but the guy he fought looked half his size?! I hear they brought him in at the last minute...I just found this. Interesting:Fight Entertainment Group and HDNet are close to finalizing a deal that would air six Dream events from Japan on the high-definition network in 2008, Mike Kogan, Director of FEGUSA, Inc., informed Sherdog.com via e-mail Friday afternoon.The deal, Kogan said, would tentatively begin next week with a delayed broadcast of Saturday's Dream debut in Tokyo featuring the opening round of the organization's 154-pound tournament. Future broadcasts, beginning with the April 29 card, would be "near live," he said."FEG has been working with HDNet in bringing the Dream 2008 Light and Middleweight GP events to North America," Kogan told Sherdog.com. "And while the deal is not officially signed yet, it is very close to being finalized with most of the important elements already agreed upon."HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon told Sherdog.com late Friday afternoon that a deal between HDNet and FEG has not been signed, and declined to comment further on a potential agreement. Discussions between HDNet and FEG have been ongoing, he confirmed.Dream executive Keiichi Sasahara noted at the event's final press conference on Friday that a broadcast deal with HDNet, or any other North American partner, was not near being finalized.
I didn't know there was an MMA thread! I'm a big fan. Not as big as poker but you know...Is anyone a member of http://mma-tracker.net/ That's where I download all my MMA after the big events. Unfortunately it is a private tracker and they just disabled the invite system for some reason. If it comes back and I have any I'll post here.Anyone going to Montreal for the GSP fight?
I just found out they enabled invites at MMA-Tracker. Let me know if you need one...

Watched it also, very impressed with Hansen's performance. He dominated every aspect of the game over Boku. I'll go back to supporting Crocop when he fights some name opponents, this did nothing for him.

so on UFC unleashed right now they just aired the Matt Sera vs GSP promo and it said "this saturday" .....not true right? Just making sure so I don't miss it.Also I'd seen the fight a lot of times, the gsp vs Serra, and now that I watched it again I think that if Serra comes in without feeling his injury, and well trained, he has a legit shot to beat him again. I thought his standup looked awesome in the first fight, checking kicks really well, moving in and backing up quickly, body shots, superman punches and good leg kicks. IMO he looked WAY better standing than Hughes will ever be, and we know his ground game is good enough to deal with GSP. I think GSP is still a favorite, but there is value in betting Serra..Also, WAR MACHINE in 84?? OMG! against who?

so on UFC unleashed right now they just aired the Matt Sera vs GSP promo and it said "this saturday" .....not true right? Just making sure so I don't miss it.Also I'd seen the fight a lot of times, the gsp vs Serra, and now that I watched it again I think that if Serra comes in without feeling his injury, and well trained, he has a legit shot to beat him again. I thought his standup looked awesome in the first fight, checking kicks really well, moving in and backing up quickly, body shots, superman punches and good leg kicks. IMO he looked WAY better standing than Hughes will ever be, and we know his ground game is good enough to deal with GSP. I think GSP is still a favorite, but there is value in betting Serra..Also, WAR MACHINE in 84?? OMG! against who?
"The Ultimate Fighter 6" cast member John Koppenhaver (5-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will face UFC newcomer and Shooto vet Yoshiyuki Yoshida (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 84, the organization today announced.Koppenhaver will return to the octagon for the first time since his stunning third-round TKO of Jared Rollins at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale in December. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported that he'd compete at UFC 84 earlier this month.UFC 84 takes place May 24 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nev. UFC lightweight champ B.J. Penn meets former champ Sean Sherk in the night's main event.Koppenhaver joined "The Ultimate Fighter 6" as a replacement for an injured Roman Mitichyan. In a bloody bout that appeared to have eventual show runner-up Tommy Speer on the verge of tapping, Koppenhaver suffered a unanimous-decision loss in the show's opening round and was knocked out of the competition.Just prior to the bout, Koppenhaver said it might be his last fight ever in MMA. However, in an interview with MMAjunkie.com just after the episode aired, the fighter said it was just his usual pre-fighter jitters.He had a triumphant return at the show's live finale and earned Fight of the Night and Knockout of the Night bonuses with his victory.Koppenhaver was recently sentenced to three years probation, was been forced to pay $2,300 restitution, and had to serve 30 days of community service stemming from a September arrest. In December Koppenhaver pleaded guilty to felony assault for choking and punching a man outside his San Diego training center, but the judge decided to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor -- partially at the urging of the case's victim, who said he didn't want to ruin Koppenhaver's UFC career.With a fresh start, he'll now take on Yoshida, who signed with the UFC back in January.Yoshida has competed primarily for Cage Force and Shooto, and now owns an eight-fight win streak (with six of the victories coming by way of knockout). The ground-and-pound fighter was the first-ever welterweight tournament winner for the Japanese-based Cage Force organization.In addition to Koppenhaver vs. Yoshida, UFC.com today confirmed our previously reported UFC 84 fight between Jason Tan and Dong Hyun Kim.
"The Ultimate Fighter 6" cast member John Koppenhaver (5-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will face UFC newcomer and Shooto vet Yoshiyuki Yoshida (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 84, the organization today announced.Koppenhaver will return to the octagon for the first time since his stunning third-round TKO of Jared Rollins at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale in December. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported that he'd compete at UFC 84 earlier this month.UFC 84 takes place May 24 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nev. UFC lightweight champ B.J. Penn meets former champ Sean Sherk in the night's main event.Koppenhaver joined "The Ultimate Fighter 6" as a replacement for an injured Roman Mitichyan. In a bloody bout that appeared to have eventual show runner-up Tommy Speer on the verge of tapping, Koppenhaver suffered a unanimous-decision loss in the show's opening round and was knocked out of the competition.Just prior to the bout, Koppenhaver said it might be his last fight ever in MMA. However, in an interview with MMAjunkie.com just after the episode aired, the fighter said it was just his usual pre-fighter jitters.He had a triumphant return at the show's live finale and earned Fight of the Night and Knockout of the Night bonuses with his victory.Koppenhaver was recently sentenced to three years probation, was been forced to pay $2,300 restitution, and had to serve 30 days of community service stemming from a September arrest. In December Koppenhaver pleaded guilty to felony assault for choking and punching a man outside his San Diego training center, but the judge decided to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor -- partially at the urging of the case's victim, who said he didn't want to ruin Koppenhaver's UFC career.With a fresh start, he'll now take on Yoshida, who signed with the UFC back in January.Yoshida has competed primarily for Cage Force and Shooto, and now owns an eight-fight win streak (with six of the victories coming by way of knockout). The ground-and-pound fighter was the first-ever welterweight tournament winner for the Japanese-based Cage Force organization.In addition to Koppenhaver vs. Yoshida, UFC.com today confirmed our previously reported UFC 84 fight between Jason Tan and Dong Hyun Kim.
Sucks that this one wont make the tv unless something spectacular happens and they use it as filler. That fight with Rollins is one of the best ive seen in the past year.

so... Anyone see EliteXC tonight? As far as I know it was live.Stupid elbows to back of head, guy "can;t continue"I could see it either way, he certainly had motive to quit, the Muay Tai guy took all he could give and seemed like a force on his feet.I know nothing about the fighters, tbh.Denny vs Malipet (sp)

Saturday night on Showtime: Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le. I am not sure Shamrock can take this guy.Tot to Tot with Cung Le
I'm pretty excited to see. Mostly to see if Cung Le can actually fight. My guess is this hits the mat and it will be over very quickly, Shamrock via rear naked choke at 3:50 of the 1st. I'm pretty sure Shamrock won't be brave enough to stand.
I'm pretty excited to see. Mostly to see if Cung Le can actually fight. My guess is this hits the mat and it will be over very quickly, Shamrock via rear naked choke at 3:50 of the 1st. I'm pretty sure Shamrock won't be brave enough to stand.
This is one of the reasons I have Showtime instead of Skinemax.

Is there a pin hold where a guy squats over the other guys face and farts? If not, then there should be...PS: I like titsOn a related topic, what the hell is with these guys that totally lose their center of gravity when throwing roundhouse kicks? Don't they know it's virtual smackdown if their opponent works out the timing and figures out an appropriate counter? Some messy technique will find you the floor in a hurry.

Saturday night on Showtime: Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le. I am not sure Shamrock can take this guy.Toe to Toe with Cung Le
Frank Shamrock vs. Cung LeJoey Villasenor vs. Ryan JensenJesse Jones vs. Jesse GillespieNick Diaz vs. Jae Suk LimGilbert Melendez vs. Gabe LemleyLuke Stewart vs. Tiki GhosnMike Pyle vs. Wayne ColeDarren Uyenoyama vs. Anthony FigueroaDrew Fickett vs. Jae Suk LimSounds like Diaz is out cuz he uses medical marijuana.... That would have been a good fight. Looks like Drew Fickett is filling in.

Holy Crap! Just found out about this fight! Faber is an ANIMAL!The wait is over as the WEC finally confirmed the date for arguably its biggest fight ever.Urijah “The California Kid” Faber (20-1-0) will defend his featherweight title against MMA legend and former UFC lightweight champion, Jens “Little Evil” Pulver (22-8-1), at the Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif., on June 1.Although Faber is regarded as one of the top 145-pounders in the world, Pulver is undefeated in the division (8-0), submitting Cub Swanson in 31 seconds during his WEC debut back in December 2007.Miguel Torres (33-1-0), fresh off a dominating performance against Chase Beebe to earn the 135-pound strap, will be on the card as well. He will make his first WEC bantamweight title defense against Mexican slugger Manny Tapia (10-0-1), who is coming off a split decision victory over Antonio Banuelos at WEC 32.WEC 34: “Faber vs. Pulver” will air at 9 p.m. ET on Versus.This should be one the biggest nights in the short history of the WEC, and it’s even a bigger plus for it to take place live on Versus. It’s hard to beat watching an MMA legend go against the future of the sport on free TV, right?

Great KO in the first fight!!!! Smoking Joe made it look easy.
Event tonight?Where can I see it online? I know there's somewhere right? I have TVU, but it doesn't seem to be on there.
Event tonight?Where can I see it online? I know there's somewhere right? I have TVU, but it doesn't seem to be on there.
It was on Showtime. AWESOME main event. Watch the replay or get it on You Tube. WOW!!!!

My first time watching Elitexc and well...meh. The main event was good but I dont think both of those guys could even come close in the UFC 185. The real advantage the UFC has going forward is the number of elite fighters they have. Any upstart can throw a pile of cash at 2 fighters to have a main event but the top to bottom cards the UFC can put out will be superior for long time going forward. Also hate the rule of no elbowing or forearms on the ground, deffinatly takes away from the ground and pound(see War Machine/Rollins)

I thought that the Cung Le/Frank Shamrock fight was highly entertaining. I was on edge, didn't know where the fight was going to go and it was exciting. I just want to be entertained and see a good fight and not watch guys gas out after 4 minutes and it delivered. I'm not a UFC snob. I realize that they have the majority of the best fighters, but to just dismiss every other fighter by saying they couldn't compete would just be wrong IMO.