**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

Well from a financial perspective for the promoters, it makes no sense. Berry is a no name and old. Shamrock versus Kimbo makes way more money than Berry versus Kimbo. The KO did look very suspect, but Shamrock sucks so bad these days that I'm not really sure. The jab looked like it hurt him more than the right hand, which may have just grazed him.BJ is nuts lol, his last fight against Joe Daddy, he was lickin the blood off his gloves. Anderson is the man.
Well what I think is that maybe Shamrock took the fight for money purposes and then just said fck it I'm not getting hurt and pretty much just looked for a reasonable moment to fake a KO. I agree that Ken v Kimbo would make more money so it doesnt make too much sense to have berry win, but it does make sense that they'd want him to win at home or w/e.as for BJ, yea he's pretty much one of my top 4 fav fighters....I dunno which one of these to make my new sig:penn_stephenson.gif notice the choke is making stephenson's blood squirt onto BJ's elbow...bjpenn_licking_blood.gif lol
I guess we're going to see whether it bothers him or not. Hard to really say how much it affects him until fight night.
didn't this injury already happen to a big fighter? I think I recall him saying that once it heals it is not a problem at all... I want to say keith jardine but I doubt that's what it is.
It sounds like Sherk has no chance at all.Anyone want to offer me +430 on the fight?
Do you honestly think Sherk has that good of a shot? Outside of BJ fcking it up on his own like he did with Hughes and GSP I dunno that he could lose this fight technically, at all..he's just that good imo. I think sherk has as good a shot at winning this fight as Hughes had in both his fights, and that's only if BJ comes in out of shape.Random- I bought Chuck's book "My fighting Life" and so far it's very poorly written and all over the place, lol imagine having to interpret Chuck and write a book for him...
It sounds like Sherk has no chance at all.Anyone want to offer me +430 on the fight?
lol nice try steve. as long as one is a solid professional fighter, one always has a chance
didn't this injury already happen to a big fighter? I think I recall him saying that once it heals it is not a problem at all... I want to say keith jardine but I doubt that's what it is.
if it's a degenerative condition, Serra is looking at major surgery down the road and it's something he has to live with everyday and can present serious problems for him. If it was just a normal injury, then hopefully he'll be fine and come in as close to 100% as someone that's training for a fight can
Well what I think is that maybe Shamrock took the fight for money purposes and then just said fck it I'm not getting hurt and pretty much just looked for a reasonable moment to fake a KO. I agree that Ken v Kimbo would make more money so it doesnt make too much sense to have berry win, but it does make sense that they'd want him to win at home or w/e.as for BJ, yea he's pretty much one of my top 4 fav fighters....I dunno which one of these to make my new sig:penn_stephenson.gif notice the choke is making stephenson's blood squirt onto BJ's elbow...bjpenn_licking_blood.gif loldidn't this injury already happen to a big fighter? I think I recall him saying that once it heals it is not a problem at all... I want to say keith jardine but I doubt that's what it is.Do you honestly think Sherk has that good of a shot? Outside of BJ fcking it up on his own like he did with Hughes and GSP I dunno that he could lose this fight technically, at all..he's just that good imo. I think sherk has as good a shot at winning this fight as Hughes had in both his fights, and that's only if BJ comes in out of shape.Random- I bought Chuck's book "My fighting Life" and so far it's very poorly written and all over the place, lol imagine having to interpret Chuck and write a book for him...
It doesn't make much sense for Shamrock to take the fight just for money though, because he should be pretty well off. He made a lot of money when he was wrestling, so I think he's pretty secure financially. Supposedly, it's been a problem for Serra in the past and it's just been made worst now. There's conflicting reports out there of course, some say he won't be ready in time against GSP, but of course Serra himself says he's fine. You should read Matt Hughes' book. Something isn't right with that dude.
You should read Matt Hughes' book. Something isn't right with that dude.
I've read some bits and pieces posted online, I wouldn't be able to get past the first page before life tilting.....I read what he wrote about Tim Silvia, and some other stuff...he's an arrogant dickhead and a jesus freak, I don't think I'd be very interested in his life.
I've read some bits and pieces posted online, I wouldn't be able to get past the first page before life tilting.....I read what he wrote about Tim Silvia, and some other stuff...he's an arrogant dickhead and a jesus freak, I don't think I'd be very interested in his life.
I dont really like Hughes, but I do give him credit, when he is in the ring he is well spoken, and he shows class. However, I havent read his book, so I cant comment on that. But i can see how he can be arrogant. Even tho he did dominate the 170 devision for a while. Also, IMO (which i'm always right)BJ Penn will win.Jardine will winMachido will win. Quebec. April 19th. GSP will dominate. I will guarantee a late knock down in the 1st round by GSP, he will mount and pound on Serra with crushing elbows similar to the 1st Hughes fight.serra wil last the round, and within 50 seconds of round 2. GSP will deliver a low kick/superman punch which will create a fury of punches from serra to try and counter, all of which miss gsp who is already low on serra working on the takedown, he gets passed any sort of guard from serra quickly and lands blow after blow. with referee John McCarthy putting a stpo to the fight at 1:07 of round 2.how do i know? its a gift
I dont really like Hughes, but I do give him credit, when he is in the ring he is well spoken, and he shows class. However, I havent read his book, so I cant comment on that. But i can see how he can be arrogant. Even tho he did dominate the 170 devision for a while. Also, IMO (which i'm always right)BJ Penn will win.Jardine will winMachido will win. Quebec. April 19th. GSP will dominate. I will guarantee a late knock down in the 1st round by GSP, he will mount and pound on Serra with crushing elbows similar to the 1st Hughes fight.serra wil last the round, and within 50 seconds of round 2. GSP will deliver a low kick/superman punch which will create a fury of punches from serra to try and counter, all of which miss gsp who is already low on serra working on the takedown, he gets passed any sort of guard from serra quickly and lands blow after blow. with referee John McCarthy putting a stpo to the fight at 1:07 of round 2.how do i know? its a gift
very accurate....if only McCarthy was still working.
lol nice try steve. as long as one is a solid professional fighter, one always has a chance if it's a degenerative condition, Serra is looking at major surgery down the road and it's something he has to live with everyday and can present serious problems for him. If it was just a normal injury, then hopefully he'll be fine and come in as close to 100% as someone that's training for a fight can
Whenever someone says that something is a lock in the gambling world, it is usually followed by " I guess I'll take 10-1". I figured that +480 seemed about right since BJ was a lock. Heck it's a bargain if it's a lock.On paper BJ is a huge favorite to win. I have always been a BJ Penn fan. He is one of the mast talented fighters I have ever seen. I do question his heart though. When I watched Sean Sherk fight in the past I was impressed. I think he has a ton of heart. He is not an exciting fighter at all. But he worked harder then just about anyone I had ever seen in training. I have the utmost respect for a person that is willing to go the extra mile. While I believe that BJ is a favorite to win, Sherk is not to be taken lightly at all. I think that whatever line a person can get on Machida vs Ortiz is a good line. Hopefully Tito's poularity will bring Machida's numbers down a bit. But that is the easiest fight to call imo.I like Matt Serra a lot. I think he is a great fighter and a coach. Combining his injury with his absence from the octogon is not going to work favorably for him. When Franklin had his rematch with Anderson Silva, I was leaning toward betting on Franklin. Luckily I didn't. A friend of mine pointed out two things. What has Franklin done that has changed? And it is very hard to come back and win a fight after you have taken a severe beating.In GSP's case, I don't find this to be true. I guess the handicappers don't either, lol. I believe that GSP continues to work on his game, and is always adding new things to his arsenal. And I don't personally believe that his loss to Serra is going to scare him.Matt Serra is a great fighter. GSP is a world class fighter. Big difference.But the lines sure are making a case for betting Serra.
I've been watching fights/surfing youtube all night cuz I had nothing to do, here's some of the stuff I've been watching:For the Penn vs Sherk Debate all I think you need to do is watch Penn fight, Sherk's previous fights don't factor too much into the equation imo because he hasn't beat anyone as good as BJ before:BJ vs GSP I re-watched 3 BJ fights tonight just because he's so sick, this is one of them I think he did way more damage in this fight and GSP just outscored him.BJ vs Hughes 1 Turn off the music, get a peek at how he handles one of the best MMA wrestlers in his prime, and lol @ kissing hughes in the mouth.penn vs hughes 2 I saw this on DVD but found this video, good quality (didn't work for me on firefox, only on explorer fyi)Random shit:one of the coolest finishes ever imo
awesome bruce lee interview I had only seen a few clips of this in his documentary, been a fan since I was 4.
I bet the dog here, looking to get ringside tix for the rematch. what I was talking about shamrock taking a dive I don't know if it show's the replay here Jay, but I saw it about 10 times on TV he barely lands a weak jab and the right cross that he falls down on looked about 3 inches from his face, and just hit shamrock's hand.....I think it was obv fix for the brit fighting in England to beat a big name. Now they're talking about having him fight kimbo, obv.
yea whatev, I live in vegas and I'm home watching MMA videos all night...no life.
Nice links JC...Surprised u didn't add this link in regards to BJ kissing Hughes....BJ loves Matt

I know some of you like to see how much fighters got paid for the events...UFC 82 fighters payAccording to the Ohio Athletic Commission executive director Bernie Profato:Anderson Silva took home $140,000 while Dan Henderson earned $100,000 (Silva also earned an additional $120,000 in bonuses). Cheick Kongo’s take was $60,000 and Heath Herring’s share was $140,000. Welterweight Jon Fitch walked away with $60,000 and Chris Wilson $24,000. Andrei Arlovski’s take was $170,000 and Jake O’Brien’s $22,000. Josh Koscheck’s check was $20,000 and Dustin Hazlett’s $24,000. Diego Sanchez got $60,000 and David Bielkheden $16,000.

I know some of you like to see how much fighters got paid for the events...UFC 82 fighters payAccording to the Ohio Athletic Commission executive director Bernie Profato:Anderson Silva took home $140,000 while Dan Henderson earned $100,000 (Silva also earned an additional $120,000 in bonuses). Cheick Kongo’s take was $60,000 and Heath Herring’s share was $140,000. Welterweight Jon Fitch walked away with $60,000 and Chris Wilson $24,000. Andrei Arlovski’s take was $170,000 and Jake O’Brien’s $22,000. Josh Koscheck’s check was $20,000 and Dustin Hazlett’s $24,000. Diego Sanchez got $60,000 and David Bielkheden $16,000.
WTF?????How does Arlovski pocket $170k?And how does Koscheck get LESS than Hazlett?I know some of this stuff has been explained before, but these 2 figures blow my mind. I can maybe see how Arlovski got a ton because maybe his contract states he makes that much etc. But even that makes little sense to me.The Koscheck thing makes less sense. Not only did he make less than the tomato can he fought, but according to your figures he was paid less than complete no-names Wilson, O'Brien, and the aforementioned Hazlett.Just wow...
WTF?????How does Arlovski pocket $170k?And how does Koscheck get LESS than Hazlett?I know some of this stuff has been explained before, but these 2 figures blow my mind. I can maybe see how Arlovski got a ton because maybe his contract states he makes that much etc. But even that makes little sense to me.The Koscheck thing makes less sense. Not only did he make less than the tomato can he fought, but according to your figures he was paid less than complete no-names Wilson, O'Brien, and the aforementioned Hazlett.Just wow...
UFC Salaries aren't like boxing where it's on a per fight basis. Koscheck is still on the TUF Contract, which is why he's making so little. Hazelett is not a can, he was coming off a 3 fight winning streak in the UFC. The TUf guys generally get lower paying contracts, but they get a lot of exposure in exchange for that.
UFC Salaries aren't like boxing where it's on a per fight basis. Koscheck is still on the TUF Contract, which is why he's making so little. Hazelett is not a can, he was coming off a 3 fight winning streak in the UFC. The TUf guys generally get lower paying contracts, but they get a lot of exposure in exchange for that.
Maybe using a word like tomato can was strong, but I consider myself slightly more than the "casual" fan and I have no clue who this guy is. I would figure winning TUF would get you a contract that is better than a guy like Hazelett because people will already know you from TUF and thus that fighter is worth more to Dana in general. Also...isn't there some sort of winner's bonus in these fights? I could be wrong on this, but I always thought the winners got more than the loser unless it was some major upset scenario like Cro-Cop/Gonzaga?

It really is crazy though; Arlovski wasn't even on the main card! Couldn't figure that one out..

Maybe using a word like tomato can was strong, but I consider myself slightly more than the "casual" fan and I have no clue who this guy is. I would figure winning TUF would get you a contract that is better than a guy like Hazelett because people will already know you from TUF and thus that fighter is worth more to Dana in general. Also...isn't there some sort of winner's bonus in these fights? I could be wrong on this, but I always thought the winners got more than the loser unless it was some major upset scenario like Cro-Cop/Gonzaga?
There were most likely some other bonuses that were not mentioned in this article (I pulled it off an nbcsports MMA article).
It really is crazy though; Arlovski wasn't even on the main card! Couldn't figure that one out..
Because the pittbull is a fan favorite, and after his 3 match session with Tim Silvia right when UFC was starting to peak in ratings and popularity he got recognized.Arlovski is like the E-Dog of poker. Always going to be a favorite and get the invites, but not really up to par with the tag he is given. (not saying edog is a poor player, quite the opposite, but i think there are more deserving players of certain TV invites)

I didn't know there was an MMA thread! I'm a big fan. Not as big as poker but you know...Is anyone a member of http://mma-tracker.net/ That's where I download all my MMA after the big events. Unfortunately it is a private tracker and they just disabled the invite system for some reason. If it comes back and I have any I'll post here.Anyone going to Montreal for the GSP fight?

The way each contract works is different. Generally, if you string together a few wins, your salary each fight goes up. Most fighter's contracts get a bonus for winning their fight, but not all, just depends on the particular contract. Josh Koscheck didn't win TUF, Diego Sanchez did. It's the opposite as far as TUF contracts go in that you basically sacrifice getting less money salary wise, but more exposure and probably more sponsorship money too. The TUF contracts I believe are all 3 years long and 3 fights a year.

CroCop vs Bob Sapphttp://www.mmalinker.com/index.php?t=t&amp...ipovic%20Crocoppretty sure CroCop breaks cracks a few of Sapp's ribs in this fight.another reason why i strongly believe CroCop should pickup his shiit, and drop from 217 and fight in 205. with his kick power at a fixed weight class, he would be insane.Also, Bob sapp vs lesner? the winner vs Kimbo? sweeet

wow best cliff notes ever, the dude that wrote this is hilarious...., I knew Hughes was a dick but I didn't know that he was this much of a dickhead....
lol yeah that's why I told you to check it out.
lol yeah that's why I told you to check it out.
The Lidell book actually got better. I'm half way through it right now. It's for sure very poorly written and all over the place, but he does have some sick stories like how when he was barely starting out some security guard at a hotel told Dana that UFC is all bullshit and Dana offered him 5k to hang with chuck for 2 minutes in the basement, and then got chuck to come out of his room at 2 am and fight this random dude in the basement of a 5 star hotel like straight out of fight club. He also adds the money he's made for every fight and has little side stories about big UFC guys like the Gracie's, Dana, Fertitta Bro's etc... At the very least it's interesting to see how his pay jumps were, like his first 3 fight contract he said something like "and for that type of money I'd fight anyone" talking about a 24k contract or so to fight 3 guys which would double if he won all 3 fights.

Since I haven't seen a lot of fights, I watch all the UFC Unleashed shows on Spike and I just watched an episode with Brandon Vera dismantle 3 opponents, including Frank Mir, yet I've been reading everything on ESPN and Yahoo about MMA and haven't really seen his name mention too much. What's his deal? And yes, I could probably visit one of those MMA sites, but they are blocked from work. Any care to shed some light on this one?