What Is Everyone's Opinion On Merging To The Final Table?

I was in a home game the other night that was directed by the Tournament Director software. Once we got to the final table, it completely moved everyone around, which wasn't what bothered me. What happened was that it was decided that seat 1 was now the button, which made me BB. This bothered me since I had just posted the BB the hand immediately before merging to the final table. In those 2 hands alone I was down about a quarter of my chip stack just in blinds. Being shortstacked was bad enough, but then to be forced to pay twice in a row for blinds really got my goat. The decision makers were not the ones running the tournament and had at least twice what I did in chips, not to mention they wouldn't be seeing the blinds for quite a while being in seats 7-10.My question is, how do normal tournaments merge to the final table and then how is the button selected? Is it a common occurrence that the person who paid the BB just before merging be in the BB again? Is there a selection process where high card becomes dealer after the merge? If we had done that, I wouldn't have cared. At least that seems fair to me.

Well actually that was the right thing. They determine to merge by how many are left per table, then they randomly put you at a seat. That is fair as long as it is random, you just got a little unlucky. Nothing you could do.

I play in a Wednesday night home game that usually gets between 30-40 players. We draw cards for the final table, Ace through 10, and the Ace gets the button. It is completely random, and is the same every week. I found this method to work very well. If you happen to get caught in the blinds twice, oh well.

We have the same random drawing but have rule that 'player never has to pay BB twice in a row unless it is by player's choice'. If you choose not to play BB twice, you must sit out until button has passed you. This also has positives and negatives depending on stacks but I like how it puts the choice to the player rather than randomness.

• 4 weeks later...

We re-high card for the button.If you're redrawing for seats (which TD automatically does), then you should high card for the button. Putting the button on seat one automatically is fine IF it is pre-stated and they do the same thing everytime they run a tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

?????is this Tournament Director or Tournament Director V.2? in V.2 you can place the dealer button on both tables and it will merge and place seating based on where the buttons are, i highly suggest getting V.2.