Bluff Vs. Cardplayer Battle

I really cant believe what I saw online today. Cardplayer accused Bluff of stealing their live updates. Sorry...I just dont see it. The guy never copied and pasted. He could have been typing word for word what Cardplayer had said, but there's absolutely no proof of that. And they "eyewitness" was a joke. Poker will truly never be mainstream with "reporting" like this. It just makes Cardplayer look like a Frat House or something.

I find it hard to believe that Bluff would copy/paste updates but you never know.I was reading the following thread and saw that the president of Bluff was lurking. I took the opportunity to try and bait him to comment on the CP video. It didn't work.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=86757

I don't want to get in the middle of any of that sillyness, but lots of places steal updates from CardPlayer, including Bluff. I never thought it was that big a deal really, as once you post stuff at your site it's hard to protect it.

I don't want to get in the middle of any of that sillyness, but lots of places steal updates from CardPlayer, including Bluff. I never thought it was that big a deal really, as once you post stuff at your site it's hard to protect it.
i've seen cardplayer do the same thing from other sites. very common during tournament reporting.
I thought everyone just copied form cardplayer by default...heh

MUCH harder than you think. Trust me on this one, trying to manually count stack sizes with all kinds of obstructed views and getting bet sizes on every street etc. is incredibly difficult, I've been on a team for doing this at the WSOP and I had a pass to be inside the ropes. It's tough.

Just to throw in my two cents for those who think copying, if it occurred, is not a big deal...To start, U.S. courts have interpreted hard facts as noncopyrightable. The watershed case in that area held that telephone books were not copyrightable as a mere compilation of facts, because the purpose of copyright protection is not to simply reward the effort of compiling the facts, but rather to promote creative expression.Also, there is a thing in our law called the merger doctrine, that states that if an idea can only be expressed in so many ways, it's not protected, because copyright grants exclusive rights to expressions, not concepts. However, to the extent that Cardplayer's updates contain original narrative -- reflecting even a minimal degree of editorial creativity -- then wholesale copying is not allowed. The threshold for what's original is minimal, so while the labor that goes into writing updates doesn't enjoy protection, the final write-up probably does.For example, Cardplayer cannot claim exclusive rights to reporting what came down on the flop. Bluff could copy this particular information to its heart's content, because no one can claim ownership of purely objective facts that have a very limited number of permutations for expressing them. But once the copying extends to sentence structure -- including lifting artfully chosen verbs or descriptive phrases -- then the practice is not just unethical, it's illegal.I'm not rendering a judgment on what actually happened (the Cardplayer "report" was not the finest piece of journalism I've ever seen), just weighing in on the ramifications of outright copying