just finsihed phil gorodons lil blue book, had some helpful insight. but ive heard alot of good things about Doyle Brunson's Super System: A Course in Power Poker, has anyone read this book? do you reccommend it? and in your guy's oppionion, Which one of Harrington tournament books did you guys find most helpful?

just finsihed phil gorodons lil blue book, had some helpful insight. but ive heard alot of good things about Doyle Brunson's Super System: A Course in Power Poker, has anyone read this book? do you reccommend it? and in your guy's oppionion, Which one of Harrington tournament books did you guys find most helpful?
Seriously?
I read super system, wasnt to impressed to be honest. Theres only a little bit about nl holdem. Just talks about how to be aggressive in cash gamest etc. If you play other poker games though its worth a read.Harringtons books are the best ive read so far. It covers every aspect possible for no limit hold em. Definetly has improved my game. The first 2 books are good, the third i have but haven't read. If i had to push it, i would say the 2nd is the best if your a competent player, of course.

Super System is an older book, so it mostly discusses the other forms of poker played at the time. But it has excellent general poker theories and principles that are still successfully applied today, if you can read between the lines.Have you read Phil Gordon's Little Green Book as well? That has a lot more information on basic Hold'Em principles than the blue book.If you're gonna read Harrington on Hold'Em (which, needless to say, is a top recommendation), read the books in order, Volume I to Volume III. I'd actually recommend reading this before reading Super System.

SS2 is better than SS. Both suffer from being unfocused in that they were written by a bunch of people with different writing styles. They aren't really targeted at any particular class of poker player. SS2 will not make you great at any one game, but will help you a little bit with a bunch of different games.HoH2 is better than HoH1. I dont have 3. I'd get 2 then 1, then 3, and read them in that order. HoH2 had more impact on my tourney game than anyone or anything else with the exception of our strat forum.

Not to be meant in a degrading way, but it is obvious you are new to poker.SS2 is a good book for its content on other games than Hold 'EmIf you are new, I assume that you play NLHE tournaments mostly, in that case, read Harrinton on Hold 'Em, contrary to the above post, read HOH 1 then HOH 2.Good books for theory and practice would be Small Stakes Hold 'Em and Theory of Poker

I'd recommend Theory of Poker most definately, for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of the game.. or take it to the next level.HoH 1 + 2 are essential for tournament players. Really, if you are a tournament player, you must read Harrington.Also, I'm surprised more players haven't written any 'definative' online poker book. There's 'Online Ace' by Fischman, which is ok... but would it not be benefitial if one of the recognized online pros released something... e.g - ZeeJustin, Erik Saagstrom etc?

HoH2 is better than HoH1. I dont have 3. I'd get 2 then 1, then 3, and read them in that order. HoH2 had more impact on my tourney game than anyone or anything else with the exception of our strat forum.
While 2 may be more helpful, it is most helpful after familiarizing yourself with HoH1. I'd still read them in numerical order.

well... ive been playing 5 card with the family since i was 10. home games since i was 16, online str8 since i turned 18 (still 18). im a "profited" player meaning ive made money and not lost it. but i have so much time to learn and get good, that im looking for books to improve my play. I play 6 handed sitngoes $30-100. some cash games, learning that, done pretty good at soem live cash games ive been to. but my tournament play is horrible..., just wondering..

well... ive been playing 5 card with the family since i was 10. home games since i was 16, online str8 since i turned 18 (still 18). im a "profited" player meaning ive made money and not lost it. but i have so much time to learn and get good, that im looking for books to improve my play. I play 6 handed sitngoes $30-100. some cash games, learning that, done pretty good at soem live cash games ive been to. but my tournament play is horrible..., just wondering..
I think tournament play is a must learn before cash games. I am only 19 and play mostly tournaments. However partypoker busted me this week. 1st time i played on it. Some weird stuff happens on their sng's. Seems like the chip leader is destined to win every tournament lol.

Super System helped me get some basic idea's on how to be aggressive and when to put my money in etc etc..Has anyone read Greenstein's "Ace on the River"? I have good reports about it.

Super System helped me get some basic idea's on how to be aggressive and when to put my money in etc etc..Has anyone read Greenstein's "Ace on the River"? I have good reports about it.
I haven't read it, but did download the audio book off of thepokerbay. It's definitely not a book for improving your game, it's more of an autobiography. It was very interesting though, and would be helpful if you are considering going pro. For the OP, HoH I is very basic, but HoH II was groundbreaking. I wasn't really impressed with Vol III, because a lot of the hands in there are somewhat debatable, and depend largely on your style. That being said, if you have the money, it couldn't hurt to have it.
dont mean to hijack a post but what book/s would you guys recommend for cash games other than the SS's
If you're playing Limit Hold em, the best book is Sklansky Malmuth Miller's SSHE..Small Stakes Hold'em, AINEC...For NL, Sklansky has also written a book for cash games, the first of its kind, that has some great stuff in it.
If you're playing Limit Hold em, the best book is Sklansky Malmuth Miller's SSHE..Small Stakes Hold'em, AINEC...For NL, Sklansky has also written a book for cash games, the first of its kind, that has some great stuff in it.
I've actually been told Hold 'em For Advanced Players is a much better book for online lhe.
I've actually been told Hold 'em For Advanced Players is a much better book for online lhe.
I'd say you'd have to be playinng at the very least 5/10 online for this book to be that helpful.If you're playing on bodonkey more like 10/20.
dont mean to hijack a post but what book/s would you guys recommend for cash games other than the SS's
Antonio Esfandiari wrote what I thought was a surprisingly good book in the WPT series called In the Money, it's about cash games specifically. It also has a semi-hokey but kinda fun DVD that teaches you a couple chip tricks, so you can look cool while you play like a dork. But he writes well and it's pretty comprehensive for a smallish book-a fast read.

If you want advice on which books to buy, you should really be including what games you are interested in. Limit Hold'Em? No-Limit? A different game? What stakes? If you're not sure what you'd like to play the best book you could buy is certainly Super System 2. Super System 1 just isn't suited for todays players, though I do love the book.

The way the advanced book was described to me is: If you're in a game where the concepts in this book come into play, leave, cause the game's far too tight.
The way the advanced book was described to me is: If you're in a game where the concepts in this book come into play, leave, cause the game's far too tight.
Na, HEFAP is goot.Online play has become a lot different. It's way more aggressive, and a lot tougher. That's not to say it isn't beatable, but it takes a different type of game.SSHE is a great starting point, but if you don't work in concepts from HEFAP into games as low as 2/4 on most sites, you're going to be missing a lot.