And This Is Why You Check It Down Against A Good Player....

I may be new here and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I actually think that both strategies discussed here have merit. I think it just depends on the play style and goal of the individual when deciding which strategy is best. Flat calling and checking it down seems right if the goal is to get rid of the shortstack. This logic is sound in the sense of moving up in the tourney. On the other hand, isolating the short stack gives you the best chance of winning the pot yourself. I'm just not sure K9 suited is much of a hand to do it with. I'd be very interested to hear what DN would have to say about it.

I may be new here and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I actually think that both strategies discussed here have merit. I think it just depends on the play style and goal of the individual when deciding which strategy is best. Flat calling and checking it down seems right if the goal is to get rid of the shortstack. This logic is sound in the sense of moving up in the tourney. On the other hand, isolating the short stack gives you the best chance of winning the pot yourself. I'm just not sure K9 suited is much of a hand to do it with. I'd be very interested to hear what DN would have to say about it.
The play is to either isolate, or fold. If you had a huge stack and could afford to splash around a bit, then I guess you might flat call with K9 (I wouldn't, it just leads to too many difficult decisions post-flop against the other flat callers). However, given the play he made, we can pretty much assume that he had a short to marginal stack as well (I'm guessing 15-20k) so flat calling is awful.Personally, I'm more inclined to fold K9 here and wait for a better hand, but I'm a nit. It's more of a play you'll see someone like Annette or BeLoW make then myself. At first you shake your head at the play, but then as you delve deeper into it, you see the value of the play (and in some cases, genius).

24os,you've lost your humility.It's best to remeber you are new and learning, like all of us.But some of these guys are miles ahead.moving up one postion in a MTT is worth very little at this stage.Accumulating chips, or saving chips by folding, is much more critical.I always giggle at the guys that say "Well done, always good to have another knowledgable player in the hand to check it down".It has it's place; but not always and not here.

:club: If you think you can beat someone willing to make an all-in call heads-up with your K9suit, even if you know he'll push with a marginal hand when short stacked, then you go right ahead and raise everyone else out. You go ahead and play pot odds with a glorified hardway craps bet and take a chance of letting someone on the brink back into your tournament, instead of keeping 4 other hands in for relatively cheap, checking down and assuredly knocking someone out of a tournament you're trying to cash in.
here is the difference that i see. pmj,iq,chucksty are not trying to CASH, but to WIN. building up a solid stack is necessary here and this play makes sense. on the other hand, calling and hoping to hit is putting in chips into a pot that you are prob not going to win. and the goal is to win