Harrington On Holdem

I'm looking to get a poker book online. What book should I get? Most of my friends seem to suggest Harrington on Holdem. What is so great about this book that everyone keeps recommending it? All right now Im interested in reading about right now is on Holdem so that seems to work. Im a skilled player, but Im not a professional. Will this book help me out?

I'm looking to get a poker book online. What book should I get? Most of my friends seem to suggest Harrington on Holdem. What is so great about this book that everyone keeps recommending it? All right now Im interested in reading about right now is on Holdem so that seems to work. Im a skilled player, but Im not a professional. Will this book help me out?
ummmm....YES :club:

I'm still pretty much a donk in tournaments, but before I read Harringtons books I had no idea, how much of a donk I really was. I can't even begin to explain how much the books helped my play. I'm sure you could profit a lot from reading the books even if you are a winning player already.

I'm still pretty much a donk in tournaments, but before I read Harringtons books I had no idea, how much of a donk I really was. I can't even begin to explain how much the books helped my play. I'm sure you could profit a lot from reading the books even if you are a winning player already.
ok thanks. What exactly does it teach you in it? Specific Tourney Strategy? Im def. a winning player, but Im nowhere near perfect and I would like to read up on MTT strategy.
ok thanks. What exactly does it teach you in it? Specific Tourney Strategy? Im def. a winning player, but Im nowhere near perfect and I would like to read up on MTT strategy.
Normally winning players don't need to post a thread as to what book will help their game.
It basically teaches you everything about how to play tournaments. All considerations, nearly all situations are covered....It's really a phenomenal book. Probably one of the best ever written.
Normally winning players don't need to post a thread as to what book will help their game.
Haha what an idiot. I made a post because this is a poker forum and I want a poker book that would help my game and I figured you guys would have some ideas.

If you're a tournament player, you must read Harrington... It's that simple. It doesn't necessarily teach 'one style' of poker, but explains every aspect of the game, every angle, in perfect detail. It's also very easy to read, and although it's very extensive in it's analysis of tournament Holdem, it's essentially a step-by-step guide.Also, it's actually 2 volumes (2 books)... The second is called 'The Endgame'.- Actually I think it's 3 books, but the third is more of a test yourself guide or something. I don't have that.

Haha what an idiot. I made a post because this is a poker forum and I want a poker book that would help my game and I figured you guys would have some ideas.
I wasn't trying to bash you. I just have my doubts that anyone looking to pick up HOH is already a winning player.

I would recommend Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold 'Em by Cloutier/McEvoy. I think the reason that it helped my game is the it teaches SUPER tight play. I don't play as tight as the book recommends, but I have tightened up a good deal because of it, and it has helped my tournament results. This would be in addition to HOH, as that really is the Bible of No Limit Hold 'Em tournaments.

I wasn't trying to bash you. I just have my doubts that anyone looking to pick up HOH is already a winning player.
You realize how dumb that sounds right? I have been meaning to pick up a few books but haven't , and I seem to be a winning player as well... I know they only way to learn is by reading THE best books, I was the retard who just used that dumb method... uh experience and interaction with better players over time.By the way I am in no way bashing any of the great books written, they are a great learning tool, and of course I have read several, But I also haven't read some of the key ones and I find it hilarious people would say you must not be a winning player you haven't read harrington!!

HOH is really good for anyone who doesn't really know how to go about thinking through tournament strategy. i would argue that it tends to over-quantify things too often (M, Q, whatever are just ways to think of basic tourney stuff in terms of numbers, which is fine, but unnecessary for people who win tourneys without the books), but if you don't think about stack/blind ratio at all, M and Q are better than nothing.just don't start shoving suited connectors from ep when you get shortstacked. that **** is stoopid.

You realize how dumb that sounds right? I have been meaning to pick up a few books but haven't , and I seem to be a winning player as well... I know they only way to learn is by reading THE best books, I was the retard who just used that dumb method... uh experience and interaction with better players over time.By the way I am in no way bashing any of the great books written, they are a great learning tool, and of course I have read several, But I also haven't read some of the key ones and I find it hilarious people would say you must not be a winning player you haven't read harrington!!
I never said you needed to read HOH to be a winning player. By the sound of GambleToWin's post he seemed like he was just flattering himself by saying he was "def. a winning player."

Be careful though, after you read those books, you could go on an extended run of bad beats, which could dull your appetite for the game. The reason you will take so many bad beats is that you will get your money in with the best of it FAR more often.Too many badbeats in a row just short of the bubble can have one questioning your sanity. Plus you understand a lot better just how bad a lot of people play (whereas you may have been blissfully unaware before).I cannot begin to describe just how great those books are at teaching you all of the things to consider when playing tournament poker. Now if only I could find an easy way to fund the stars account to get back in the saddle.....

Same with me, I win way more now. Although I could beat the donks before Harrington has given me a bigged edge vs them and my play has significantly improved.
I would recommend Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold 'Em by Cloutier/McEvoy. I think the reason that it helped my game is the it teaches SUPER tight play. I don't play as tight as the book recommends, but I have tightened up a good deal because of it, and it has helped my tournament results. This would be in addition to HOH, as that really is the Bible of No Limit Hold 'Em tournaments.
super tight play is so 90s :club:
NO
NO
Like I said, I don't play as tight as Cloutier/McEvoy recommend, but it just gave me a better prospective in thinking about hands. It just made me realize I don't need to gamble and try to win huge pots in a coin flip scenerio. Tightening up in this respect has ABSOLUTELY helped my tournament play.
super tight play is so 90s :club:
lollerskatewinsletHOH will give you a solid foundation on the applied mathematics of poker in a simple way, so even mathtards like me can understand how the value of outs is directly linked to what's in and what might be in the pot which is linked to what your opponent may or may not be holding which is linked to...Well, it's all linked and these books explain it better than I'll ever be able to.
Like I said, I don't play as tight as Cloutier/McEvoy recommend, but it just gave me a better prospective in thinking about hands. It just made me realize I don't need to gamble and try to win huge pots in a coin flip scenerio. Tightening up in this respect has ABSOLUTELY helped my tournament play.
Getting tighter can definitely help out a lot of people. But there's a lot of books that can teach that. Even Hellmuth's pulitzer winner (sw) will teach that, but I still wouldn't recommend it.Just saying that in general, the book isn't all that great in the first place, and becoming quickly outdated.
lollerskatewinsletHOH will give you a solid foundation on the applied mathematics of poker in a simple way, so even mathtards like me can understand how the value of outs is directly linked to what's in and what might be in the pot which is linked to what your opponent may or may not be holding which is linked to...Well, it's all linked and these books explain it better than I'll ever be able to.
Were you actually talking to moi? I've read a brazillion books including HoH.
I'm looking to get a poker book online. What book should I get? Most of my friends seem to suggest Harrington on Holdem. What is so great about this book that everyone keeps recommending it? ...
You asked what was so great about it. Part of that answer, in addition to what others have said is: Dan Harrington can actually write. Ever read Sklansky? The guy is pretty much incomprehensible. Not because the concepts are difficult, he just can't write very well and seemed to lack an editor. But Harrington not only gets how the game is interwired, he can convey the ideas in such a way that you get how to incorprate them into your own game, rather than getting some formula like some others, that insist you play their game. You will also get more out of it every time you re-read it, as you become more experienced.

And my alltime favorite line, from that or any poker book, is the following:"If someone ever comes up to me and tells me how he made a brilliant laydown of a set, I just think to myself "You're an Idiot!"".