Most Stand Up Is A Joke

My favorite comic, who is not dirty at all is Brian Regan. I think he has some pretty original stuff.Not really a big fan of Dane Cook, although his bit on "Asking people to take a picture of you with your camera" had me rolling on the floor.

Please tell me I am not the only Stephen Lynch fanatic here. Even though I am only 20, I have listened to standup comedy from the 70s all the way to the present. Everyone has their own opinion on stand up. I love Stephen Lynch cuz he is soft, but his punchlines are fricken hilarious. Also check out Mike Birbiglia. His "Two Drink Mike" CD is great.

• 1 month later...

I've never liked Dane cook much, but after the fallout from the Joe Rogan/ Mencia beef, I've heard that Cook is widely regarded to be a joke theif by the comic community. Which pretty much means he's scum.

I've never liked Dane cook much, but after the fallout from the Joe Rogan/ Mencia beef, I've heard that Cook is widely regarded to be a joke theif by the comic community. Which pretty much means he's scum.
Yep. I heard a clip a while back where Rogan and others (O&A I think?) played bits from Dane Cook's CD followed by the Louis CK performance he stole them from. I'll see if I can find it.
Yep. I heard a clip a while back where Rogan and others (O&A I think?) played bits from Dane Cook's CD followed by the Louis CK performance he stole them from. I'll see if I can find it.
I posted a link above a while back that will tell you all you need to know.
I agree with Daniel about stand-up progressing into vulgar and fart-oriented. I think the truth is people try to get cheap laughs. I never understand when I see people in the audience of a show laughing hysterically at garbage. Most of them can't write good material. Someone like Carlos Mencia gets animated and yells "SO THEN I TELL THE *****...." in an accent and people are on the floor holding their sides. Why did you have to leave us Mitch Hedberg. Stand-up needs you.
QFT a legend that passed prematurly

Lewis Black's brand of angry humor reminds me of the edginess and risky comedy that a lot of mainstream, modern comedy lacks today. Glad he's rising up the ranks. Dane Cook reminds me of a performer rather than a comedian. I still enjoy Chris Rock's old HBO special material, he really was in the zone back then, but I think marriage and kids slowed him down since.

I never thought Carlos Mencia was funny. What I hate the most about the guy is his real name is Ned Mencia and from Honduras, and he makes racist jokes about Mexicans. If you make racist jokes that aren't funny, that kinda just means your racist. He is half mexican I guess. I'm sure I can think of more reasons why he should not be getting work but that is enough

I lost all respect for Dane cook when he hosted SNL and did the "Camera Schtick" that he always does. You are on F'in SNL, come up with something orignial do not retred that same standup you have been using for the last 2 years. My favorite comedians in somewhat of an order:1. Dave Chappelee - His Killin em Softly stand up is the best ever and I have seen him live twice and he does not disapoint (even post meltdown, saw him in Davis, CA and he was great)2. George Carlin - Consistenly the best stand up of all time3. Chris Rock - I have also seen him twice live and brings it everywhere he goes4. Eddie Murphy - would obvioulsy be higher if he had kept doing stand-up (I hear he is going to go back on the road!!)5. Richard Pryor - The grandfather of todays comedians, white or black.6. Dave Attel - I saw him live about 10 years ago before anyone knew who he was and he had me in stiched the whole night7. Greg Giraldo - Everytime he is on TV he make me laughThen after that there are a bunch I like that are funnier sometimes than others.
I agree. I own most of these people's albums. I alos think that Dane Cook is overated as are most comedians today.

Stand-up has produced very few notables in the last 15 years. In the late 80s and early 90s when MTV had its Half-Hour Comedy Hour ("Plunger?!? I hardly know her") and mock gameshows like Remote Control and Idiot Savants, it was like there was a farm system for new comedians. Shoot back in the day Rosie O'Donnell was even funny (Back on HA! before it turned into Comedy Central.) Just Look at the names that were produced:Chris RockDenis LearyAdam SandlerNorm MacDonaldGilbert GottfriedColin QuinnMitch HedbergJaneane GarafaloGreg FitzsimmonsBrian ReganJoe RoganLouis CKMario Joyneretc. etc.Now all we can point to is Dane Cook?!? This guy is a hack, but he makes people laugh. I suppose.It's no wonder SNL sux.

Stephen Wright and David Cross ftw.It seems like ppl are too willing to accept the same cheap old jokes from anyone who says them loud, has an accent, or is overly animated. There's nothing wrong with some good crass toilet humor, but I prefer it mixed in with some good satire, jokes that make you laugh and think a little too much.

Im glad carlos mencia stole jokesId rather hear someone elses joke come outta his mouth then the same act over and over again since 199