Been playing really well, but I get caught in cash games when I call huge bets with a draw. I was told that I should watch the pot odds, so can someone explain in easy terms how I should apply this theory to my game.

Been playing really well, but I get caught in cash games when I call huge bets with a draw. I was told that I should watch the pot odds, so can someone explain in easy terms how I should apply this theory to my game.
it's about randomizing your patterns so people can't put you on hands. "odds" is used because half the time you should make the wrong decision. like an odds even type thing. i'll often times shove w/ 72os preflop so that the next time i shove w/ aces i get called. no one ever knows what i have. crazy.goodluck.
it's about randomizing your patterns so people can't put you on hands. "odds" is used because half the time you should make the wrong decision. like an odds even type thing. i'll often times shove w/ 72os preflop so that the next time i shove w/ aces i get called. no one ever knows what i have. crazy.goodluck.
now what if he actually took this as the correct answer?

I understand what your saying, I randomise my raiseable starting hands. What I want to know is how to use pot odds, I'm at a point in my game were I want to try heaps of theories and find what works for me. I read Slanskiy's books but he getts a little deep, and I struggle to learn HOW to apply the theory.

seriously, pick up and read one of the many many great poker books by reputable authors out there!To answer your questions quickly and very simply: pot odds means the ratio of the money that already is in the pot to the money you have to put into the pot to call.If there are 10BB in the pot after your opponent bets 1BB, your pot odds are 10:1 - so it would be a profitable call if the hand you are drawing to is more likely than 10:1 to hit.edit: you read "Sklanskys books" and you ask here what pot odds are?! Maybe you should read something else if he's too difficult for you (I find his writings dry, but not too complicated usually)

I understand what your saying, I randomise my raiseable starting hands. What I want to know is how to use pot odds, I'm at a point in my game were I want to try heaps of theories and find what works for me. I read Slanskiy's books but he getts a little deep, and I struggle to learn HOW to apply the theory.
theories shmearies. Sklanskiy don't know shiznite about poker. navybuttons do.see the difference?i rule. Sklanskiy does not.HOW to apply the theory: if calling is the correct call then say "call" and put your chips in the pot. if folding is correct, then say, "too rich for my blood," (best western accent [the location not the hotel]), and toss your cards face down at the dealer.

lol the way pot odds work is very simple really. When you want to draw you look them straight in the eye and say you better not bet ******** *******. That works in live games. Online, you have to act as weak as possible, most people are too dumb enough to know when you're drawing and want to get paid so they will slowplay you tooooooooo much or give you the the right odds from the start. BUT- there is a but- don't semi-bluff or reraise them for value because as soon as they realize you may have a piece of it your pot odds are going right down the drain in the form of an allin right down your @$$. So to recap:1) Live game- look and act intimidating.2) Online- Act weak and they will not know how much to bet3) Online tip number 2- Don't semi-bluff or raise for value. That won't work online.Pot odds strategy by litlebullet.

Just read harrington. Then post again after you have read it. I don't think you should be playing any poker let alone cash games if you do not understand pot odds. (unless you don't expect to win)

This is a very simple way to calculate pot odds for drawing, but understand there are a ton of factors that play into making a call for a draw, this is purely to calculate the chances of you hitting what you believe will give you a winning hand.On the flop1-8 outs - multiply by 49-12 outs multiply by 4 and -113-16 outs multiply by 4 and subtract -4ex. 6 outs yields a win 24% of the time10 outs 39%15 outs 56%all are within +/-1%After the turn - multiply your outs by 2 and add 2ex. 9 outs = 20%A general rule to follow with outs as well is if you have more than 14 outs you should make the call

This is why we don't use talk like this at the tables.Then fish overhear it and come have it explained to them on message boards.(Note - this is in no way intended to depict the OP as a fish)
Just played a few hours cash at .05/.10 table and saw the difference. Profited nicely!!Cheers for the PokerBank link!!
No problem, glad it was of help.A key thing to remember is that you should be happy when your opponents call with bad odds, this is the way that you make money. The hardest part is trying to figure out if they actually have the draw you put them on, and not give them any more money if they do.
fold pre-flop. always. Except with the mighty krablar, then move all in.
You could call me a fish. lolJust want asmuch info as I can get my hands on.
Your best bet, post these type of questions in the strategy forums. You'll get quality replies, and very little flaming.

if Sklansky's discussion of basic Pot Odds is confusing to you, I'd say you are miles away from a long term profitable online poker life.there is so much more to it than whether or not you have enough outs for your flush to call a 1/2 size pot bet.And all of it is math