I found a video on youtube which really sums up what I feel about the religion.While I TOTALLY support their right to believe in what they want, this religion really hasn't done any good for the world. ....
Well, they invented zero, a number without which computing (and everything else in advanced mathmatics) would be impossible. So, hmmmmmmm. Maybe read the history of the religion and the people before making blanket statements?
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they invented zero, a number without which computing (and everything else in advanced mathmatics) would be impossible. So, hmmmmmmm. Maybe read the history of the religion and the people before making blanket statements?
They didn't actually invent Zero. The concept of Zero goes further back to the Indians. It has just been wrongly attributed to the Muslims.
The Nazis invented the first practical rocket and jet airplanes.
And a Christian dropped the first atom bomb and developed whole blood transfusion. Did you have a point?
easy there tigerhe was talking about christianity's influence... not seperate people who just happen to be christian
And a Christian dropped the first atom bomb and developed whole blood transfusion. Did you have a point?
I was agreeing with your point, which must've been that if someone invents something useful, they're inherently good.
I was agreeing with your point, which must've been that if someone invents something useful, they're inherently good.
wait a second...you mean the nazi's are good because they invented rocket propulsion? (which isn't actually true) but for argument's sake.
The Mayans had a zero and place value, too. So if there's ever patent litigation, they could make a claim of prior art. That said, Arabic numerals kick ***.Does anybody know how the Romans did long division? Looks like a ***** to me.
wait a second...you mean the nazi's are good because they invented rocket propulsion? (which isn't actually true) but for argument's sake.
Sorry, I didn't know I needed a sw. 11 to 1 posted something to the effect that Muslims made a contribution to science, therefore any distaste for certain Muslims is misguided and inconsiderate of their contributions to humanity. I was merely stating that the Nazis contributed as well.
Sorry, I didn't know I needed a sw. 11 to 1 posted something to the effect that Muslims made a contribution to science, therefore any distaste for certain Muslims is misguided and inconsiderate of their contributions to humanity. I was merely stating that the Nazis contributed as well.
Shoulda check this sooner - 11/1 certainly said NO SUCH THING. The OP said they never contributed anything useful to the world. He was speaking of the WHOLE RELIGION, not a few terrorists. I was just pointing out that they did, indeed, contribute. And much more than this, as the center of all learning and science in Eurasia for a few hundred years was built and maintained by the Islamic people. I said, READ SOME HISTORY.
  • 3 weeks later...

You can't judge a religion by looking at some of its followers. Some idiots who can't understand what they read are saying " We are killing because Islam tells us to do so". And every thinks Islam orders to kill and Muslims are bad. Noone ever thinks of reading Kuran and say "Wait a min , It doesn't tell to kill in any chapter."Reading Kuran doesn't make you Muslim. It only makes you wiser. If you think Islam is ridiculous , read the book. At least have a clue. If you walk around and say " **** Islam , ****in murderers" You are a redneck . If you say " I've read Kuran and it is full of ****" , You have an opinion and people have to respect that opinion because you know what you are talking about.I am Muslim and i ve read Bible. It made me wiser. Now i know what billions of people in the world reads and believes. I am not addressing anyone here. Just my general thoughts.****And i hate to see every religion and political discussion leads to turn into a pee contest in a very short time. We invented this you invented that. It's just ridiculous. Religions don't invent or lead people to invent things. It's the individual. If a Muslim finds the cure for cancer , will it make Islam better than other religions? Doesn't make any sense.

And i hate to see every religion and political discussion leads to turn into a pee contest in a very short time. We invented this you invented that. It's just ridiculous. Religions don't invent or lead people to invent things. It's the individual. If a Muslim finds the cure for cancer , will it make Islam better than other religions? Doesn't make any sense.
The problem I have isn't so much whether the religion tells people to do certain things or not.It's all about the people.Of course, if a Muslim cures cancer, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his/her religion. If a Muslim cures cancer in the name of his god and was inspired due to his/her religion... well, you get the picture.It's the people that kill, attack, torture, etc. in the name of their religion that bothers me.If an ignorant person wants to be a Muslim or a Christian because they find the life long comfort they've been looking for, that's more then fine by me. If that person wants to give to charity or cure cancer in the name of their God or religion, that's also fine.Maybe it's hypocritical of me to think this way, but good is good and bad needs to be fixed. I always support critical thinking, though... good or bad.
The problem I have isn't so much whether the religion tells people to do certain things or not.It's all about the people.Of course, if a Muslim cures cancer, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his/her religion. If a Muslim cures cancer in the name of his god and was inspired due to his/her religion... well, you get the picture.It's the people that kill, attack, torture, etc. in the name of their religion that bothers me.If an ignorant person wants to be a Muslim or a Christian because they find the life long comfort they've been looking for, that's more then fine by me. If that person wants to give to charity or cure cancer in the name of their God or religion, that's also fine.Maybe it's hypocritical of me to think this way, but good is good and bad needs to be fixed. I always support critical thinking, though... good or bad.
But like he said, it's got nothing to do with the religion. Do you think the Crusades are a fundamentally Christian thing? Do you think hijacking planes is a fundamentally Muslim thing? If so you've got a very ill-informed view of the world. People are often not true reflections of their religion. Ghandi had the wisdom to say, "I like their Christ, I don't like their Christians." You're not going to get rid of terrorism by "fixing" Islam any more than you could have prevented the Crusades by "fixing" Christianity. The fact of the matter is that these things did not come out of a faulty religion they came out of murderers who mistakenly thought their religion supported what they were doing.
But like he said, it's got nothing to do with the religion. Do you think the Crusades are a fundamentally Christian thing? Do you think hijacking planes is a fundamentally Muslim thing? If so you've got a very ill-informed view of the world. People are often not true reflections of their religion. Ghandi had the wisdom to say, "I like their Christ, I don't like their Christians." You're not going to get rid of terrorism by "fixing" Islam any more than you could have prevented the Crusades by "fixing" Christianity. The fact of the matter is that these things did not come out of a faulty religion they came out of murderers who mistakenly thought their religion supported what they were doing.
woah woah woah :PIn no way do I attribute hijacking planes as a "Muslim thing" or anything near the sorts.People will always do psychotic things... whether it be government doings, ignorant national pride, etc. of which I am just as critical of.But the reason 9/11 happened is due to a psychotic group of people who relate their actions to their own interpretations of their religion. These people have the ability to evoke a desire in others to join their cause.... just in the same way Christians do (fear of hell, desire for a personal "buddy Christ and God", the community of the church, etc.) In America, there aren't as many crude violent issues, but we do have a major problem with utter ignorance and the anti-intellectual movements. Recruiting by hardcore Evangelicals may not be done for the severity of action that Muslim extremist groups do, but their goals are regressive and harmful to the growth of humanity.To me, there is no need for religion and its effects on the growth of humanity are harmful. I completely believe that humanity will always continue to have a strong moral code without religion and their general goodness would not change. Churches could be replaced by real community activity. The agendas for mission trips (to convert others who haven't heard of Christ) can be taken away and real humanism can be practiced widespread. In an ideal world, people would leave behind their ability to fall in step and take the time to critically think and challenge the extremes that are set in front of them. What upsets me can best be said by Carl Sagan, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.". If people would stop giving religion a free pass, I believe we can move on to greater things as a country and a species.
I'm pretty sure it was THE POPE that authorized/allowed/whatevered the Crusades and from what you guys are telling me the Pope is God's leader on Earth for the religion of Catholicism. So if the Pope says let's go kill infidels then that is just as good as God saying it.

You can't be seriously thinking Pope is God's leader on Earth for the Catholicism. Noone can and should come between the God and the person. Popes always been so busy with politics that they never had a chance to fully focus on religion.

You can't be seriously thinking Pope is God's leader on Earth for the Catholicism. Noone can and should come between the God and the person. Popes always been so busy with politics that they never had a chance to fully focus on religion.
You obviously aren't catholic.
I don't. Catholics do.
Christianity is not a set of history and traditions which one follows on a path to Heaven. A good article on the topic is here.
Simple question: Do you personally think the Pope(s) who initiated the Crusades were right or wrong in doing so? Or better yet, if the Pope decided that God called on him to once again sent people into the middle east to kill muslims that you would back him, or go there yourself?
Simple question: Do you personally think the Pope(s) who initiated the Crusades were right or wrong in doing so? Or better yet, if the Pope decided that God called on him to once again sent people into the middle east to kill muslims that you would back him, or go there yourself?
Well, if the Christian Kingdom's had been faithful too the pope's decree's, and put their whole effort towards the crusades, rathar than in the corrupt manor that they did, then Islam could have been wiped off the earth centuries ago, and I'd be able to take my fcking toothpaste on the airplanes today.
Pope John Paul II specifically denouced the Crusades as mistakes. I agree with him.Jesus didn't say to Peter, "...and on this sinless rock will I build my church." Men are sinful and popes are no exception nor is there any expectation for them to be.
Well, if the Christian Kingdom's had been faithful too the pope's decree's, and put their whole effort towards the crusades, rathar than in the corrupt manor that they did, then Islam could have been wiped off the earth centuries ago, and I'd be able to take my fcking toothpaste on the airplanes today.
Uh...(sw)?...