I Don't Understand Daniel's Play

This is the info I have from CardPlayer:Blinds 60,000/120,000120. Bryan Sumner has the button and raises to $300,000. Negreanu pushes all in for an additional $790,000. Sumner mucks and Negreanu takes the pot.This should put daniel's stack at around 1.4 million.121. Daniel Negreanu has the button and pushes all in with A3 while Sumner calls with 88. The board comes the 8543Q giving Bryan Sumner the championship and the $25,000 WPT Championship seat.The next hand he pushes all in preflop from the button with A3?I didn't think Daniel did this kind of thing with over 11x BB. Do you think this play was just him mixing it up? Maybe he had a read the guy would call him with something his A3 can beat? Seems to me like if he gets a call he's beat everytime and he's not making enough from the push for it to really be worth it. Anyone else know?

Don't try and make sense of it, its a WPT final table.He didn't really have much room at all to manouever around post flop, nor did he have time to wait around for a decent hand.Best he could do was shove with Ax knowing that Summer pretty much has to call him with anything and hope to snag an ace / have ace high hold up.

You don't think he's getting called by a lot of K high hands here? Or hands like QJ, Q10 etc? What do you suggest he do with 11bb heads up? Check fold? Raise 3bb then fold to raise? I see nothing wrong with the push for his stack size.

You don't think he's getting called by a lot of K high hands here? Or hands like QJ, Q10 etc? What do you suggest he do with 11bb heads up? Check fold? Raise 3bb then fold to raise? I see nothing wrong with the push for his stack size.
QFTnot to mention that DN really didnt want to call

Virtually all of the questionable play at the later stages of the FT can be summed up in the blinds and antes being so high. Except for Young pushing all-in with a 6-3 off when people were regularly calling all-ins with Q-8sooooted or worse. That was just retarted. I know I spelled it wrong, that's why I'm funny and you're anal. Sheesh.

theses threads must stopp// he played it fine and you would have done the same... nothign wrong w/ the play during this crappy structure

Virtually all of the questionable play at the later stages of the FT can be summed up in the blinds and antes being so high. Except for Young pushing all-in with a 6-3 off when people were regularly calling all-ins with Q-8sooooted or worse. That was just retarted. I know I spelled it wrong, that's why I'm funny and you're anal. Sheesh.
oh the ironing.
theses threads must stopp// he played it fine and you would have done the same... nothign wrong w/ the play during this crappy structure
Well to his defense, the OP just said he didn't understand why DN made that play, not that that it was an error.

Play makes perfect sense. It's not like he can raise 3xBB and just fold to a push. If he wants to play "small" pots he can just limp, but thats just a bad play here since there's so much dead money in the pot and he's still probably 50/50 to be ahead or behind if his opponent calls. Even if he limps and the villain pushes all-in, DN may STILL call. Better to push.

I know many players make the push with 11 BB and no antes regularly, I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see DN play in that style much. To be honest, I would have expected him to limp in with A3 in the situation. However, with the antes in the pot, it does change things a bit.

I know many players make the push with 11 BB and no antes regularly, I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see DN play in that style much. To be honest, I would have expected him to limp in with A3 in the situation. However, with the antes in the pot, it does change things a bit.
ok, so he limps. opponent has pocket 8"s. DN has 1.4 million compared to the rest of chips in play. Opponent raises his pocket 8"s. with 270k in the pot, what raise do you make? put him all in or go for the minimum? if he goes for the minimim DN is still committed. there is no in between here. the result is the same and DN new it. his only chance was to push and hope his oppenent didnt have a hand, which he did.

Daniel had no idea his opponent had pocket 8s. The hand does change if you put yourself in his shoes and don't know what the results were. If he limps, his opponent may push with much less than hands that beat A3. Depends on the read he has on the opponent. Also, if his opponent has a bigger hand and decides to play it slow, he could see a flop and miss and be able to get away from the hand. You can't say "It woulda been the same either way" just cause you know results... That's just shortsighted.

Why dont u wait on Daniels recap of the hand? maybe ull get to know why he played it that way.. I see nothing wrong with it... he just got a bit unlucky....and with the blinds so high u cant expect daniel to laydown ace3!

I think apart from everything else that was said in this thread, the opinon/read, DN had of Sumner supports open pushing here as well:"Seat 3: Bryan Sumner 596,000- I don't like his approach. A total pre-flop player that plays a pretty ABC game for the most part. Looks to gamble pre-flop by coming over the top of raises. The WPT final table structure will help him out in a big way since the focus becomes pre-flop play at these crapshoot like final tables."That means, Sumner very likely won't let Daniel see a flop without being allin in this situation, so his only decision is between fold or all-in.

It's so sickening to listen to his circuit interview of late. He acts like his small ball play is revolutionary, or that he is the bottom line of poker. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. Some young punk should shut this guy up. Please some young internet hot shot shut this guy up.He's running well right now, he forgets when you run bad, and now he's blabbity blibbity on and on... like he's god's gift to poker...

It's so sickening to listen to his circuit interview of late. He acts like his small ball play is revolutionary, or that he is the bottom line of poker. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. Some young punk should shut this guy up. Please some young internet hot shot shut this guy up.He's running well right now, he forgets when you run bad, and now he's blabbity blibbity on and on... like he's god's gift to poker...
It is revolutionary. You haven't heard anything revolutionary because I've never shared it, other than to just tell you that small ball is the best approach to these tournaments. As for the push with A-3, it is what you call an absolute no brainer considering the circumstances.
It's so sickening to listen to his circuit interview of late.
Why are you listening then, hater? -He acts like his small ball play is revolutionary, or that he is the bottom line of poker.He is BREAKING WPT records every freakin' month, I would say it's pretty revolutionary.-Nothing he says is new or revolutionary.He hasn't even discussed his system in depth! PAY ATTENTION. He is in the process of writing a book!-Some young punk should shut this guy up. Please some young internet hot shot shut this guy up.Some young punk should knock some sense into you.-He's running well right now, he forgets when you run bad.Credit his system. You know everything about running bad. :club:-and now he's blabbity blibbity on and on... like he's god's gift to poker..And what gives you the right to run your mouth like you're god's gift? Atleast Daniel has an illustrious resume to back up his talk.Quit your hating, brat.

Well, congratulations are in order from me, since I see DN lurking here. You did what you could until the structure made luck too high of a factor to overcome. Might I suggest a Penguins jersey for the next tournament? I have yet to see you wear one or admit to owning one.